Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2020, 11:27   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
Just an IMO, but I don't think this car appeals to the mainstream, hence most mainstream reviewers wouldn't bother covering it.

It's a refresh of a "flop" model by a "flop" brand. And a mileage killing turbo-petrol, at that. You'd have to be a quite eccentric to even consider this.

TBHP is the only place where this car even has some relevance. Hoping for an official review once things ease up.
Not sure why are we writing this off completely, at least as far as the product is concerned. I dont see how this is inferior to its immediate competitors in terms of performance, all indications are to the contrary.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 15:27   #227
GBX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Not sure why are we writing this off completely, at least as far as the product is concerned. I dont see how this is inferior to its immediate competitors in terms of performance, all indications are to the contrary.
Not writing it off, I'm just saying this is a niche vehicle.

How many people didn't buy a Kicks the last time around, because it didn't have a 160bhp engine? They didn't buy it because of the pricing, no sunroof, brand, A.S.S and various other reasons. None of which have changed.

Mainstream shoppers would prefer to walk next door to Kia/Hyundai showrooms and pay a premium for those, than buy a very competent Nissan without a substantial discount.

Just my 2 cents. If this turns out to be a huge success, I'll be quite happy to see more Kicks on the roads.
GBX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 16:37   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
Not writing it off, I'm just saying this is a niche vehicle.
They didn't buy it because of the pricing, no sunroof, brand, A.S.S and various other reasons. None of which have changed.
I think they have certainly worked hard to improve their pricing compared to the last time the Kicks was launched in 2019.
  • The XV Petrol at launch was priced at 10.95 lakhs, they have now re-launched it at 9.99 lakhs, after upgrading it to BSVI compliance. Most Petrol cars have become expensive by about 25K for BS6 compliance, so in effect Nissan has cut the price of the XV by almost 1.25 lakhs.
  • XV Premium Diesel was priced at 13.65 lakhs. Now the new 1.3 Turbo petrol co-developed with Mecedes is fully imported and more expensive than the previous K9K Diesel to make and import. Despite this, they have launched the XV Pre 1.3 Turbo variant at 12.65 lakhs. So another big reduction here.
  • Similar reduction of 1 lakhs on the XV-Pre+ (manual). Now called XV Pre Optional)
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 23:58   #229
BHPian

Some reviews of the new 1.3 turbo petrol that I could find:

It seems the mainstream reviewers have not started with this car yet.

NOTE: First two reviews are in Malayalam.
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 19:20   #230
BHPian

BBC Top Gear review of Nissan Kicks 1.3 turbo Petrol manual.

sahil624 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 19:57   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

It is surprising that there is no news about the Kicks CVT Automatic with the new 1.3 litre engine. All reviews have been about the manual version. Most of the reviewers talk about the gearshift action being notchy, the cramped footwell, the clutch not being the smoothest etc. I am looking forward to see some news and reviews of the famed CVT version, since Nissan is known to have some of the best CVTs around. However, all has gone dead quiet and there is no word from the manufacturer or any of auto press on when the CVTs will arrive.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 20:30   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
It is surprising that there is no news about the Kicks CVT Automatic with the new 1.3 litre engine. All reviews have been about the manual version. Most of the reviewers talk about the gearshift action being notchy, the cramped footwell, the clutch not being the smoothest etc. I am looking forward to see some news and reviews of the famed CVT version, since Nissan is known to have some of the best CVTs around. However, all has gone dead quiet and there is no word from the manufacturer or any of auto press on when the CVTs will arrive.
How I see it, they have launched the CVT version but in actual they don't have the transmission Kits to manufacture those variants and hence no media drives. Covid must have impacted the logistics due to which we don't see any of the CVT variants anywhere in any of the reviews you will see on youtube.

If they have those CVT variants ready, they should have dispatched the cars to dealers and should have arranged the media test rides for CVT variants if not manual. This way we can get the review of both, turbo petrol performance and CVT performance along with that engine.
Highh5 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 16:20   #233
BHPian

Some lady from Nissan India calls me every week to ask :
- if i have taken a test Drive
- No i havent
- i will ask Dealer to call you
- Dealer says "CVT not available"

For a car that forced me to look away from Creta Turbo (too costly for me), their response will kill my enthusiasm!

i noticed in the manual turbo here - the interior front door panels rise above the windows in a weird fashion (towards the hinges). Did any of you find that awkward ?
S.Shyam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 00:35   #234
GBX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
BBC Top Gear review of Nissan Kicks 1.3 turbo Petrol manual.
Sorry, but that's a terrible review by TG standards. He talks about performance, but doesn't give a 0-100 time. He talks about first in class features but doesn't demo or critique them.

This is almost as bad as the innumerable, "people recording themselves on a test drive and calling it a review" videos.
Old 25th July 2020, 09:27   #235
BHPian

Can someone provide me with real life mileage of 1.3 turbo kicks variant? I searched online, few sites are stating 14 kmpl and few are stating 16 kmpl.

The XV 1.3 turbo petrol will be a good buy during year end sales. I visited Nissan showroom 8 months back, I still get SMS of offers from dealer like BS IV stock, year end sales, demo cars, clearance sales, sometimes even 1.5 lakhs off etc.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 10:57   #236
BHPian

Talk about Aiming for the Stars!

Cheeky ad spotted

The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-img20200725wa0000.jpg
Moto$apien is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 12:03   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
Talk about Aiming for the Stars!

Cheeky ad spotted

Attachment 2034239
So Nissan is comparing the Kicks to a variant that has been discontinued! Does that mean that might discontinue the Kicks too?
BTW, I had registered on Nissan India website for a Kicks CVT a couple of weeks back. There is still no contact from Nissan for a test drive
Old 25th July 2020, 13:30   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
So Nissan is comparing the Kicks to a variant that has been discontinued! Does that mean that might discontinue the Kicks too?
I've recieved this ad from nissan sales guys few months back, i.e. during initial days of 1.3 turbo launch. By then Seltos GTK was still available in showrooms and Kia website.
See below screenshot which has date at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-temp.jpg  

Old 25th July 2020, 14:44   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
I've recieved this ad from nissan sales guys few months back, i.e. during initial days of 1.3 turbo launch. By then Seltos GTK was still available in showrooms and Kia website.
See below screenshot which has date at the top.
The Seltos GTK was extremely well equipped! It had quite a few unique features even in the mid spec trim.

The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-screenshot_20200725144328.jpg

Last edited by YashD : 25th July 2020 at 14:45.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 15:37   #240
BHPian

Nissan dealership in Agra never opened after lockdown. I dropped a plan to buy this car because of the future of Nissan in India. The specs of this engine are pretty similar to that in T-Roc so I was very excited to test drive, but was disappointed that there was no dealership in Agra.

Most Viewed