Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2020, 23:59   #256
GBX
BHPian

re: The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Nissan Kicks 1.3 turbo-petrol first drive review by Autocar India
Really disappointing that the engine numbers doesn't translate to the ground. And that remote engine(and aircon) start on a manual is nice, but it will eventually trickle to their entire lineup. The car is now left without a real USP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Makes me feel either the Youtubers by have no idea what they are talking about, or Autocar’s review is prejudiced. Not sure whether there is another way to look at it!
I'd side with Autocar on this one. Even ignoring the poor standards of those youtube "reviews", Autocar is the only one to have provided a 0-100 time so far. Everything else has been seat-of-the-pants illusions.
GBX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 17:21   #257
BHPian

Those numbers are worst than the 1.5L 115bhp Seltos MT. Other than the torque being almost equal this is quite a bad show for a Mercedes - Nissan engine of so called 156bhp :P. Hell even the Skoda 1.0L TSI would be a match in 0-100 run well not that much in the roll on timing though... Overall quite lackluster

Last edited by Brishti : 12th August 2020 at 17:23.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 18:56   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Makes me feel either the Youtubers by have no idea what they are talking about, or Autocar’s review is prejudiced. Not sure whether there is another way to look at it!
I will give benefit of doubt to YouTubers than mainstream media. The reason is:
1) These YouTubers have reviewed Seltos and Creta Turbo petrols, so they know what they are comparing with.
2) YouTubers have only one agenda, i.e. views. They cannot afford to give wrong or biased information, as it might backfire on their channel badly.
3) [Assumption] YouTubers don't get paid crazily for their reviews by Nissan.
4) These independent YouTubers may not be very technical but they sure don't hesitate to call out flaws instead of covering it up or downplay.
5) Few BHPians also did test drive, their thoughts are aligned with YouTubers.

Either Autocar had a bad day with given car or they are prejudiced.

Note from Support: Typos fixed. Please run a spell-check before posting. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 13th August 2020 at 03:27. Reason: See note.
ramki.grandhi is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 19:24   #259
Senior - BHPian

Maybe Autocar drove the NA model.
Old 12th August 2020, 20:24   #260
Senior - BHPian

I don't trust Autocar reviews. They have bias favouring some brands. Not just Autocar, all these magazines have biases. Independent, freelance YouTubers give better verdict.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th August 2020 at 03:28. Reason: Spacing.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 21:38   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Performance figures not to Autocar India test standards.
This line is written in the last line of the review of Nissan Kicks published by Autocar in their website.

I think, we have bashed Nissan and to some extent, Autocar just based on the 0-100 kmph time alone.

I may or may not be correct, but I remember reading that the traction control system cannot be completely turned off, which prevents the car to be launched aggressively.

Shreyas
Old 12th August 2020, 22:57   #262
BHPian

Autocar seems to have struggled to get the car to launch properly. That or Nissan has given us an inferior engine or the ECU dumbs down the engine significantly with our crappy 91 RON fuel (unlikely).

The same engine in European 2nd gen Duster performs way better than what ACI have managed. 10.6s with very slow shifting. The pull through the gears is very strong too. 2nd and 3rd gear acceleration is considerably stronger than in a stock Linea T-Jet. Outright performance should be much better than the T-Jet's too.

Last edited by theredliner : 12th August 2020 at 22:58.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 23:24   #263
BHPian

Autocar did mention the rev limiter in neutral and traction control affected the launch and hence the 0-100 numbers suffered. Similar issue they mentioned for Verna DCT too which reported rather leisurely 13 seconds to 100 for a powerful turbo petrol.

They mentioned the figures are not upto their usual standards. So the better evaluation can done by comparing the in gear acceleration and Kicks is almost at par with Seltos 1.4. Kicks is heavier too.

I don't think Autocar deliberately under figured the timings. Company may pay an agency to show optimistic numbers (again that is an assumption). Even if Autocar declares Kicks to be the fastest or to say the best car in its class it will hardly make any difference to the demand and response to the Korean rivals.

I recently bought a 1.5 N.A. Creta and deep down somewhere I know that I could have got a Kicks turbo for same money offering superior performance, better ride and handling setup and a more abuse friendly body. But the problem is more with the company than the car while taking a final call. So I don't think it is intentional from Autocar.

Last edited by Turbokick : 12th August 2020 at 23:33.
Turbokick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 00:14   #264
BHPian

Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol to be launched soon

I really don't understand the ruckus around 0-100 timings. It's not a practical measure anyhow. What really matters is the in gear speeds.
Even the Compass 2.0 MJD with 170 ponies and 350 NM of torque does 0-100 in sub 11 secs. Does it make it slow or less punchy in real driving conditions?
I am quite intrigued that we aren't even talking about it's ride and handling which is pretty good, definitely better than the likes of Creta/Seltos. In Indian driving conditions this makes a much bigger impact than just 0-100 sprints.
Waspune is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 03:16   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
I will give benefit of doubt to YouTubers than mainstream media
I think you are overestimating the intellect of the target audience of these YouTubers. Nothing is going to backfire for these YouTubers. India is such a big country that everything gets views, even garbage or worse than garbage content.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th August 2020 at 03:26. Reason: Quote trimmed.
codwapeace is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 11:50   #266
BHPian

*Exchange your car with Rs.40,000 additional market price.
Offer on New Nissan Kicks Turbo Petrol
with 156 PS Power, Highest Powerful SUV in segment !
Test Drive & Book Today

Vibrant Nissan Showroom
Gachibowli

I have received this above message from Nissan showroom Hyderabad. I did a TD 8 months back, still receiving promotional SMS every week from Nissan. Also received demo cars at discount prices deals, CVT launch details etc. I just wish they had BSVI diesel in Kicks. This would be great mover for them. Puny mileage of Petrol Kicks is a great turn off for a lot of potential buyers.
ramnaresh_2000 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:11   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
I am quite intrigued that we aren't even talking about it's ride and handling which is pretty good, definitely better than the likes of Creta/Seltos. In Indian driving conditions this makes a much bigger impact than just 0-100 sprints.

I agree.. ride and handling suited for Indian roads doesnt necessarily mean high speed cornering stability(that too on a SUV). Hence the reason I really wish to TD the Nissan Kicks Turbo CVT and upcoming Renault Duster Turbo petrol as well.

0-100 sprints are (IMO) of lower relevance than in-gear accelerations.
S.Shyam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:41   #268
GBX
BHPian

Quote:
I really don't understand the ruckus around 0-100 timings.

I am quite intrigued that we aren't even talking about it's ride and handling which is pretty good, definitely better than the likes of Creta/Seltos.
Is it really inconceivable that people on a car enthusiast forum would be interested in acceleration from a standstill? More so when the only differentiator for the Kicks 2.0 is the engine and performance?

The excellent ride quality has been available with the N/A engine for 2(?) years now. Nothing new to discuss there.
GBX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:45   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really don't understand the ruckus around 0-100 timings. It's not a practical measure anyhow. What really matters is the in gear speeds.
In Indian driving conditions this makes a much bigger impact than just 0-100 sprints.
I agree. In-gear acceleration is more important but generally a car which has best 0 to 100 run will also be the car which will have best 40 to 80 or 60 to 100 in gear dash.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 02:33   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
Is it really inconceivable that people on a car enthusiast forum would be interested in acceleration from a standstill? More so when the only differentiator for the Kicks 2.0 is the engine and performance?
Well having a great 0-100 sprint shows only one side of the story and if that's the sole measure to judge a car's performance then Compass 2.0 should lack performance and Ciaz petrol (older one) should be a hoot . Also do you know the Compass 1.4 petrol is quicker to the ton (10.xx secs) when compared to the Compass 2.0 MJD? Does it make the 1.4 a better performer than the 2.0 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
The excellent ride quality has been available with the N/A engine for 2(?) years now. Nothing new to discuss there.
I get your point. However, the enthusiast in me does want to bring the ride handling factor while judging a car. If only a stellar engine could translate to an enthusiast delight then the earlier Verna Diesel with 128 PS should have been a hoot and a half!

Most Viewed