Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2020, 02:31   #286
BHPian

re: The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh

Although a good car in isolation, but when compared with Seltos, it starts to feel ordinary. In both looks and as a product overall. If my budget was 15-16 lacs, I will increase my budget by 2-3 lacs and get a Seltos DCT. 150ps/254nm are very good numbers but apart from that nothing which appeals to the heart. Also, looks are not that great compared to competition.
Mynameis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 08:59   #287
BHPian

Re: The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Everyone(including me) felt Kicks is pricey because exact variant with 1.5 NA engine is priced 2 lakhs cheaper.
In Bangalore that translates to 2.6 lacs difference on road, for XV.
Kicks is not a <4m CSUV. It offers almost all the basic and advanced features in its segment (except sunroof. I'm not a fan of the sunroof for India). 1.5NA was here in domestic already for years now whereas the 1.3T is very latest, co-developed with Merc if I remember, which offers the highest power in the segment. When no other vehicles can offer this level performance, ride & features in this price range, I do not think it is overpriced at all.

Maybe since it is from a low selling, less reputable Nissan India, people have biased thinking that whatever the product, it should come cheap irrespective of the value.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I really finds the Kicks 1.3T to be the best VFM underrated car in the segment. If Nissan India is seeing this, please up your marketing game and add some colors to your dealers & clean up the old dust, or you will end up saying bye bye to one of the biggest automotive market.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th August 2020 at 22:24. Reason: Sentence formation
starke is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 11:28   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
Although a good car in isolation, but when compared with Seltos, it starts to feel ordinary. In both looks and as a product overall. If my budget was 15-16 lacs, I will increase my budget by 2-3 lacs and get a Seltos DCT. 150ps/254nm are very good numbers but apart from that nothing which appeals to the heart. Also, looks are not that great compared to competition.
Seltos DCT may have some nice gizmos inside but IMO, it cannot hold a candle to the Kicks when it comes to more important topics for SUV buyers:
  • Broad and bold and planted SUV stance,
  • Excellent ride quality,
  • Superb build quality,
  • Ability to take the beating of roads in our urban jungles as well as rural areas,
  • Maturity of hydraulic power steering,
  • Advancements in the latest generation Mercedes engine which is also coming in the new generation Benz GLA, I would be unsurprised if this engine won Ward's best engines of the year in 2020
  • Fuel efficiency of the CVT gearbox

All this, at an on-road price that 2-3 lakhs lesser than the equivalent Seltos DCT variant!
The only major advantages the Seltos (other than the Gizmos) are 6 airbogs and the DCT transmission, which although less fuel efficient, will probably be more fun to drive than the CVT.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 26th August 2020 at 11:30.
84.monsoon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 14:14   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Seltos DCT may have some nice gizmos inside but IMO, it cannot hold a candle to the Kicks when it comes to more important topics for SUV buyers:

My post was keeping in mind what most people look upto, while buying Crossovers like these. And most of them do look for gizmos.

Quote:
Broad and bold and planted SUV stance
Completely agree that it looks more bold stance wise (higher GC) but Seltos looks better proprotioned overall. And to me, Seltos' front looks more bold. Also to me, it looks more planted, and felt planted too when i took it for a spin.

Quote:
Excellent ride quality

Quote:
Superb build quality
Seltos/Creta are very well built, inside and outside. If not better, certainly at par.

Quote:
Ability to take the beating of roads in our urban jungles as well as rural areas
Seltos/ Creta are no less, if not more. Yes, Kicks has the advantage of higher GC, but even for very bad roads 190 mm is more than enough.

Quote:
Maturity of hydraulic power steering
I found steering to be sufficiently mature in terms of weight and feel in both Seltos and Creta. Yes, not Ecosport like but certainly easily acceptable. And a good EPS is more useful (good for both city and highway) for most people, than a pure HPS which is a bit too heavy for city drives.

Quote:
Advancements in the latest generation Mercedes engine which is also coming in the new generation Benz GLS...
Thanks for this information, had no idea regarding this. Will go as a plus for Kicks. But, turbo petrol/ diesel in Seltos and Creta is no bad either .

Quote:
Fuel efficiency of the CVT gearbox
Trade 1-2kmpl for dual clutch fun!
Diesel AT, which is also fun to drive, is priced almost same as Petrol DCT, with a far higher mileage.

Quote:
All this, at an on-road price that 2-3 lakhs lesser than the equivalent Seltos DCT variant!
The only major advantages the Seltos (other than the Gizmos) are 6 airbogs and the DCT transmission, which although less fuel efficient, will probably be more fun to drive than the CVT.
For those 2-3 lacs one gets a feature rich car. Panoroof, Vented seats, Air purifier and a lot more.
It just looks better from whichever angle one looks at it. And looks are a major factor for a lot of people. At least, I didn't like front of the Kicks and that slanting rear hatch when looked from side. Somehow didn't look like a 15L car.

Some tall people complained of head room at front. With turban, it was almost touching the roof. Seltos has headroom in abundance.
There are reasons why Seltos was an instant hit. And not all them on the road have DCT underneath.
Mynameis is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 11:57   #290
BHPian

In this Kicks versus Creta/Seltos appearance debate, let me add my thoughts!.

All three are absolutely good looking in their own ways. The Seltos definitely is a neat and clean design and attracts me for sure whenever I see one on the road. The new Creta, in my opinion, is more butch and SUVish than the old Creta. The Kicks is a funky styled car, much like the Captur was.

Pick any one. Mechanically you will not go wrong in your ownership experience .
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 18:56   #291
BHPian

The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-whatsapp-image-20200518-13.29.35.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Everyone(including me) felt Kicks is pricey because exact variant with 1.5 NA engine is priced 2 lakhs cheaper.
In Bangalore that translates to 2.6 lacs difference on road, for XV.
Not exactly, the old Bs4 era price of 1.5N.A XV petrol was at Rs.11,00,100/- ex showroom. The current price of 1.3 turbo petrol XV is at Rs.11,84,990/- a mean difference of just 85k where one will get a modern 1.3 turbo petrol with lots of power.

The only reason for Nissan to price bs6 1.5NA petrol at Rs.9,99,999/- is to get the 10 lakh pricing / taxation advantage and to grab the customers from different segments. So this makes prospective buyer feel kicks turbo is priced about 1.85 lakhs extra for an powerful engine and few essential features and no lame gadgets.

The kicks 1.5 N.A XV (9.99 L) with extra 50k over XL (9.49 L) get a steal bundal for the variant namely fogs, rear wiper and defogger, Silver accents both inner and outer, satin skid plate, functional roof rails, 8 in touch with rear camera, rear seat cup holder, 17 inch 2 tone 3d alloy and tyre, dual trumpet horn,

The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-screenshot_20190125161700_drive.jpg

Last edited by jeganatu : 27th August 2020 at 18:57.
jeganatu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 19:35   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
  • Broad and bold and planted SUV stance,
  • Excellent ride quality,
  • Superb build quality,
  • Ability to take the beating of roads in our urban jungles as well as rural areas,
  • Maturity of hydraulic power steering,
  • Advancements in the latest generation Mercedes engine which is also coming in the new generation Benz GLA, I would be unsurprised if this engine won Ward's best engines of the year in 2020
  • Fuel efficiency of the CVT gearbox

Thats surely far fetched I would say! The Kicks is essentially based on the age old duster platform, so the whole ride and handling may be better than the Seltos, but in every other aspect the Seltos and the 2020 Creta are better options. Its not like the Kicks has a ladder on frame chassis, all are monocoque soft roaders at the end of the day. They can only take as much abuse as they are meant to. And in terms of build quality, how do you actually say the Kicks is better than the Seltos? Again, Nissan and Renault are no VW or Skoda.

If you ask me, Hyundai and Kia today offer a decent balance in most aspects when you compare say Suzukis and the VW Skoda group.

I think the turbo petrol engine from Nissan is a fantastic piece of engineering, and it deserves the price is commands. But, the inherent flaws of a decade platform has its limitations. You just need to sit in a Kicks or a Duster and back to back in a Creta or a Seltos to know the immediate difference that these newer 2019-20 cars have.

Nissan and Renault really need to bring some absolute new cars to the market with these kind of engines. Duster, Terrano, Captur, and the Kicks, theres only so much you can do with a decade old platform, and the market knows that. And hence the sales reception you see for all these cars.
motorworks is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 18:35   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

The discounting has started:

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...s-75000-418567

Nissan Kicks gets discounts and benefits of up to Rs 75,000! This includes the newly launched Turbo Variants. My prediction is that the discounts will be way more by the end of the year and it is quite possible Nissan may officially drop the price of the base Turbo variant below 9.99 lakhs. It will then be a compelling value.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 14th September 2020 at 18:37.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 11:38   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Instead of playing the bargain price game, why doesnt Nissan just up the safety standards with 6 airbags instead? For those who want a SUV alternative to the Creta / Seltos but want the safety package of 6 airbags, there arent too many options. Renault and Nissan have blundered in not offering this till now.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 11:41   #295
Senior - BHPian

This is just stock clearance. Nissan knows they won't move large numbers even with discounts and offers if they wait till December. So they're going to gradually increase offers upto festive season so they can get rid of as many inventory pending as possible
Old 21st September 2020, 17:49   #296
BHPian

I am considering this car but mainly worried about Nissan exiting India.

Low resale doesn't bother me much but after sales service worries me a lot.

Would it be possible to service a Kicks in a Renault center? Has anyone tried that in smaller centers where there is no Nissan presence now?

I wonder if in future Renault-Nissan will implement the leader-follower strategy in India like they have in other regions, instead of Nissan completely shutting shop.
NT56 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 08:56   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT56 View Post
I am considering this car but mainly worried about Nissan exiting India.

Low resale doesn't bother me much but after sales service worries me a lot.

Would it be possible to service a Kicks in a Renault center? Has anyone tried that in smaller centers where there is no Nissan presence now?

I wonder if in future Renault-Nissan will implement the leader-follower strategy in India like they have in other regions, instead of Nissan completely shutting shop.
I was also in a similar dilemma as I intend to buy the upcoming Magnite or a used Kicks next year, but I find it pretty safe to buy if you don't care about the resale value (neither do I as i plan to keep it for a long time), Both Renault and Nissan shares 99% similar parts. So even if to an extreme end Nissan leaves India, we will surely have the parts and at least till our warranty voids, ASS will be working fine even if Nissan exit India by this year end.

In the price segment, I'm not able to find a proper vehicle with less gizmos and high level of driveability and ride quality than RN vehicles. Period.
starke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:44   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
I was also in a similar dilemma as I intend to buy the upcoming Magnite or a used Kicks next year, but I find it pretty safe to buy if you don't care about the resale value (neither do I as i plan to keep it for a long time), Both Renault and Nissan shares 99% similar parts. So even if to an extreme end Nissan leaves India, we will surely have the parts and at least till our warranty voids, ASS will be working fine even if Nissan exit India by this year end.

In the price segment, I'm not able to find a proper vehicle with less gizmos and high level of driveability and ride quality than RN vehicles. Period.
I agree duster/kicks have great ride quality. I like that more of the money is going towards the car's dynamics then other things.

I also agree that parts would be available because of Renault. However, if Nissan exits would you still be confident about their ASS? I feel for the poor chevy owners who are going through this. And what happens after warranty expires in 5 years? I keep cars for longer.

I guess a lot is riding on the success of magnite.
NT56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 10:34   #299
BHPian

Is it even legal to ask customers for logistics charges or customers can ask dealerships to waive this off?

YouWe Nissan, Okhla, New Delhi

The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-img_0653.jpg
r.joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 12:36   #300
BHPian

One more Video Review of Nissan Kicks Turbo Pertrol

Highh5 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed