Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2020, 16:04   #31
BHPian

re: The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh

I don't know why people are sulking and deciding its fate even before launch. I mean, one side we feel bad for limited choices enthusiasts have in the country. And other side, when someone is trying to launch something good we already decide it's fate. Let it launch, let it get reviewed and then we have pages for passing on rants.
Personally I felt good with this news. Else what we have in the same category crossover space? Hyundai's / Kia's 1.4 ltr turbo and? Does anyone remember?
StepUP! is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 16:46   #32
BHPian

This certainly has me excited, Nissan cars always have excellent drivability but the products are let down by the lacklustre services and Hyundai/Kia level pricing.

I hope they can price at least a mid variant CVT in the ballpark of the top model Nexon/venue automatics.

It would make it an extremely interesting buy.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th April 2020 at 16:49. Reason: Typo
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 17:07   #33
BHPian

I believe CVTs deserve a bit more love than they get. To the best of my understanding, and as per this guys explanation, CVTs can offer better gear ratios and provide much better performance than other transmissions.

The problem could be that the CVTs currently available in the market are tuned for better fuel economy and not performance. Nissan has indeed developed a CVT for high torque engines. If they decide to either use that or tune their existing CVT for better performance, we may see some more love towards them.
SuhairZain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 17:42   #34
BHPian

Good evening Gents,

Interesting thread, close to my heart. I also received similar news yesterday from one of Nissan's executives and I cannot tell you how excited I am. In fact, a couple of hours back I received a text message suggesting to upgrade (which I plan to).

But the lockdown has jeopardized my plans of upgrading my Stallion (Kicks, MT) to Kicks, CVT, but let's see.

Prices to be revealed in the first week of May; that's what I have been told.
theguardian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 18:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

I hope Nissan also provides the car a proper safety kit with 6 airbags and ESP as standard.
Old 30th April 2020, 18:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
but the products are let down by the lacklustre services and Hyundai/Kia level pricing.

I hope they can price at least a mid variant CVT in the ballpark of the top model Nexon/venue automatics.

It would make it an extremely interesting buy.
The Kicks is just as big as a Creta or a Seltos in terms of dimensions. Its almost 4.4m long and will not get benefits that sub 4m cars do. Its not a Nexon/Venue rival at all.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 18:49   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I hope Nissan also provides the car a proper safety kit with 6 airbags and ESP as standard.
Even if not standard, I hope they provide 6 airbags at least in the top variant. The only reason why I didn't buy it a few months ago was this. The salesman had me talk to some engineering staff who said Nissan decided to not have it because the car is safe even without the curtain airbags because of its weight. I called bull right then and there.

But also, even if they decide to put in 6 airbags, it shares the platform with the Duster, which got 3 stars in Global NCAP and was rated as unstable.
Old 30th April 2020, 19:22   #38
BHPian

Fantastic move Nissan!. Keep it up.

An already terrific car with unmatched build quality, with turbo petrol is an icing on the cake .

All they need to do now is just keep the prices competitive and don't be too greedy.

Nissan, Skoda cars are for those who check out the cars themselves, do all the research and decide to take the plunge without looking at the number of cars sold overall.

But if Nissan wants to attract all kinds of customers, the introductory pricing is the key.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 20:26   #39
BHPian

As per my observations, turbo petrol engine car costs around Rs. 1 lakh more than NA petrol sibling. A CVT gearbox car costs around Rs. 1 lakhs more than MT sibling. Can we expect the new Kicks to cost Rs. 1.5-2 lakhs more than current petrol variant?
Old 30th April 2020, 21:26   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapnil.awate View Post
As per my observations, turbo petrol engine car costs around Rs. 1 lakh more than NA petrol sibling. A CVT gearbox car costs around Rs. 1 lakhs more than MT sibling. Can we expect the new Kicks to cost Rs. 1.5-2 lakhs more than current petrol variant?
Again, these differences are artificially kept as such for marketing and branding purposes. Actual cost is much much lower. Also, there is no price you can put on desperation. And Nissan knows right now it is desperate. It has been said before on this thread and I’ll say it again. Nissan has to match the likes of Seltos on equipment while pricing it at least 2-3L less. Survival. Nissan brand doesn’t figure on the list of car buyers anymore. Something very drastic is needed to change that.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 21:28   #41
BHPian

A CSUV with 154 BHP and 254 Nm with a capable CVT is no joke. As someone brought up, MT will be available. For Kicks, I believe there is still a ray of hope. I don't think, once a failure will always be a failure. Had Honda thought in the same line, Gen 3 Jazz wouldn't have been a reality.
K_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 23:25   #42
BHPian

I am finding it hard to digest that people have declared Kicks CVT a failed product even before the launch.

On paper it looks a very capable car. Nissan can take away some numbers from potential Kia & Hyundai customers if this car is priced sensibly along with a major push in marketing.
karan0009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 23:40   #43
BHPian

This is a good move. Kicks has one of the best ride-handling package in the segment and a potent engine will definitely draw the enthusiasts at least.
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 09:23   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuhairZain View Post
Even if not standard, I hope they provide 6 airbags at least in the top variant. The only reason why I didn't buy it a few months ago was this. The salesman had me talk to some engineering staff who said Nissan decided to not have it because the car is safe even without the curtain airbags because of its weight. I called bull right then and there.

But also, even if they decide to put in 6 airbags, it shares the platform with the Duster, which got 3 stars in Global NCAP and was rated as unstable.
I do not believe the previous gen Renault Duster platform (on which the Kicks is based) can accommodate side curtain airbags. After looking at global auto press sites, I could not find any country where the original Duster was offered with these.

Side Curtain airbags require special roof design to accommodate the airbags and sensors. The latest generation duster that launched internationally last year (did not come to India) had made the provision for curtains airbags.

So I doubt the Kicks will be able to offer more than 4 airbags even if cost is not a constraint.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 1st May 2020 at 09:24.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 09:55   #45
BHPian

I visited Nissan showroom an year back and loved the Kicks. The pricing was way ahead of my budget, so dropped it.

Good to see Nissan coming with turbo charged petrol engine. In my personal opinion, the only way brand Kicks can survive is, if they come out all guns blazing.

Bring in Petrol 1.5 MT & AT, Petrol 1.3 Turbo Charged MT & CVT, 1.5 Diesel MT & AT and Maybe Turbo Diesel 4X4. This will generate more interest in every section of public. Additionally they should price accordingly (Maybe introductory prices to lure customers like MG did). Fully loaded like Hector gizmos, else I don't see Kicks setting any charts on fire.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks