Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2020, 10:26   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh

154hp turbo-petrol is an interesting prospect indeed and certainly a choice for the enthusiast if it comes with an MT gearbox - but sales? Only a few enthusiasts will choose Kicks with all its baggage for an extra 15hp as compared to the safe, blockbuster choice of Seltos/Creta with 138hp.

Nissan not only lost the market with the poor launch but also don't have a diesel engine anymore. A turbo-petrol motor is not going to compensate for these shortcomings in the market.

That said - I'd certainly like a detailed test drive. Could prove to be the brilliant highway mile muncher I'm looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
I don't think, once a failure will always be a failure. Had Honda thought in the same line, Gen 3 Jazz wouldn't have been a reality.
Not the right example, because the 3rd gen didn't sell well once again, and so we never received the 2017 facelift, nor the 2019 4th gen.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st May 2020 at 10:30.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 10:47   #47
Team-BHP Support

I drove the Kicks diesel a long times ago, it was a pretty competent car. All it needed was better tyres to offset the high centre of gravity and I hated the narrow seats but apart from that it disguised its Duster origins well.

The 1.3 Turbo will be compelling. I don't like CVT's but can tolerate a decently matched one. I await a drive of this with interest!
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 16:05   #48
BHPian

Why would anyone pair a turbo petrol with a CVT?
Nissan should just shut shop and invest more in Renault to launch a Duster with much better interiors and features. That will sell really well.
Old 1st May 2020, 16:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
Why would anyone pair a turbo petrol with a CVT?
Nissan should just shut shop and invest more in Renault to launch a Duster with much better interiors and features. That will sell really well.
Well, it was the Duster that was about to be launched with a Turbo-CVT. Renault does not provide Diesel engines anymore after BS6.
Old 1st May 2020, 16:20   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Well, it was the Duster that was about to be launched with a Turbo-CVT. Renault does not provide Diesel engines anymore after BS6.
Why don't they pair the turbo petrol with a torque converter? That'll have better performance than a CVT without the reliability issues of a DCT. Volkswagen is the only company that seems to have thought of that with the new Polo.
Old 1st May 2020, 18:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

Updated 2020 Nissan Kicks Details Out,

Will be available with 1.5 NA Petrol Engine with MT Gearbox as well as the New 1.3 HR13 Turbo Petrol Engine with choice of Manual & CVT Gearbox.

Claimed fuel efficiency of this new 1.3 Turbo Petrol is 16.3 kmpl.

Variants are back to where they were when launched last year (XL/XV/XV Premium/XV Premium (O)).

Base XE was introduced as new variant in Diesel lineup, but now it has been discontinued.

Sadly the Premium Features are only restricted to XV Premium Option variant and the shocking part is that it won't be available in CVT Option.

If they are indeed trying to recapture market, they better don't do such blunders, otherwise all their effort will go to waste. Looks like they don't have eyes to look at Creta & Seltos nor Ears to Hear Customer Feedback.

With Nissan's MD being Rakesh Srivatsava (ex-Hyundai), he better correct this before launch.

Here are some presentation screenshots.

The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-screenshot_20200501183209954_com.google.android.youtube.png

The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-screenshot_20200501183228061_com.google.android.youtube.png

The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-screenshot_20200501183257609_com.google.android.youtube.png

The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-screenshot_20200501183232417_com.google.android.youtube.png

The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-screenshot_20200501183238468_com.google.android.youtube.png

Last edited by CarguyNish : 1st May 2020 at 18:55.
CarguyNish is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 19:13   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
Why don't they pair the turbo petrol with a torque converter? That'll have better performance than a CVT without the reliability issues of a DCT. Volkswagen is the only company that seems to have thought of that with the new Polo.
Purely based on personal experience, TC has the worst fuel economy of all automatics. A case in point, my dad's i10 auto has never managed to cross single digit figure (mix of city/highway driving) in the three years of ownership.

A couple of years back, I did a trip of Grand Barrier Reef (Queensland, Australia) which included a to and fro drive from Airlie Beach to Port Douglas (>1600 kms). My drive was a 2.0L Nissan X-Trail (rented from Avis) with CVT and it returned a fuel economy of >16 Kmpl.

If my recollection is correct, the X-Trail had a XTRONIC CVT (it had a badge at the back) and a simple google search tells me that XTRONIC is only suitable for 2.0L and above engines. Not sure which CVT would be used in Kicks.

My current drive is an Amaze CVT (petrol) and I think it is possible to "learn" to minimize the rubber band effect of CVTs. Paddle shifts help and I am hoping that Kicks would get them.
amit73 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 22:42   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Variants are back to where they were when launched last year (XL/XV/XV Premium/XV Premium (O)).

Base XE was introduced as new variant in Diesel lineup, but now it has been discontinued.

Sadly the Premium Features are only restricted to XV Premium Option variant and the shocking part is that it won't be available in CVT Option.
Looks very decently equipped from base XL to XV Pre (O). Even the base variant has all essential features and each subsequent variant adds goodies that add to functionality.
The top-end option variant has only feel-good features, nothing very essential that will force customers to pay extra for certain features, only for those who absolutely want the top-end, just like it should be.
Absence of a sunroof is quite surprising as it is all the rage now-a-days (especially a pano one), even Tata had to provide one later on.
Hopefully they will price it very competitively. Really want the Kicks to taste success as it is mechanically a very sorted car and each time I have spotted one on the road it looked very unique and has much better presence than the Creta/Seltos.
Candy$Cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 23:03   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
The top-end option variant has only feel-good features, nothing very essential that will force customers to pay extra for certain features, only for those who absolutely want the top-end, just like it should be.
Except the side airbags. Though I am not sure how much that will help in a car based on the Duster platform.
JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 01:21   #55
BHPian

So they removed the rich leather stitched upholstery done on the dashboard from the Top end XV Premium(O) variant, which gave the car an absolute premium look and must say it used to make Kicks so much desirable with the way they did that.

However carbon Fiber finish is not bad but it's not a match for the premium look and feel of tan brown leather finished dashboard, used to complements leather seat covers and leather door trims as well. Highly disappointed with that move.
Highh5 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 02:16   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Except the side airbags. Though I am not sure how much that will help in a car based on the Duster platform.
But isn't that the case with every other car out there? Even the much expensive Compass gets 6 airbags only on higher models, so it would be too much expectation to offer more than two airbags on lower models. Atleast, they are including airbags right from the base model and the turbo models from XV onward get Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control unlike many which offer only on top-models or on only automatic variants.
Candy$Cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 04:31   #57
BHPian

Was really hoping they could add a sunroof at least on the top model,

And I have never understood this business of manufacturers not offering automatics in the top variant. I can understand if they omit it from the base variant but why the top of the line ?

Nissan wants their customers who are paying the most to choose between convenience and bling, even MSIL did this with the ertiga for some strange reason.

That way the Toyota is the best, even with some insane prices they atleast give the buyer the option to choose between a manual and an automatic at every trim level.
Old 2nd May 2020, 07:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

The omission of CVT in the top end is a stupid mistake in my opinion. This will ensure that the likes of Seltos and Creta have the upper edge in a feature-to-feature comparison, which the Hyundai salesmen excel in presenting to the regular bling oriented customers.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 19:07   #59
BHPian

My thoughts on the BS6 Nissan Kicks. I am glad they made a grand re-entry by plonking a powerful engine. Now, this move makes Kia and Hyundai less powerful cars with fancy features.
  1. Top variant with CVT: They should definitely offer CVT in the top variant. IMHO, manufacturers avoid equipping top variant with automatics to put a lid on the top variant price tag, To appear less expensive. However, the competition (Seltos & Creta) offers variants in the bandwidth of 10-20+ Lakhs, and these days it is okay to have expensive top variants. I hope Nissan doesn't do this mistake of skipping CVT on the top variant. I also think it is a smart move to bring the Xtronic CVT as there are issues with DCT's (Seltos).
  2. Less features, competitive price I am assuming from the leaked brochure that Nissan is skipping on a lot of features such as Sunroof, TPMS, Cooled seats, Electric parking brake, Heads-up display, Branded Audio, Air-purifier, Paddle shifters etc., I believe the top variant of Nissan Kicks should be priced competitive to the mid variants of Seltos and Creta. IMO they should even consider pricing it 50k-1Lakh less to see good volumes, due to the hurt brand/dealership image.
  3. Turbo petrol MT- Improve the seat, steering and suspension : Class-leading power and torque are welcome. However, to make full use of the additional power, I feel it definitely needs some improvement in the steering (more feedback) and make the suspension tighter. Also, they should change the seat with more side bolstering to prevent lateral movement and replace the crap seat height function to enhance comfort. Telescopic steering would be a welcome addition as well to find the right position. I know this is asking too much from a C-SUV and most customers dont care about this. I wish if they could launch a GTR inspired R version with lowered ride height, stiff suspension, and 18-inch wheels

Last edited by Godzilla : 2nd May 2020 at 19:31.
Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 19:46   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
But isn't that the case with every other car out there? Even the much expensive Compass gets 6 airbags only on higher models, so it would be too much expectation to offer more than two airbags on lower models. Atleast, they are including airbags right from the base model and the turbo models from XV onward get Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control unlike many which offer only on top-models or on only automatic variants.
Yes you are quite right (though I am not counting Yaris considering that it was a sales flop). It is good that manufacturers are equipping even the lower variants with these safety features (though the airbags were forced on them by government mandate).

Even better in this aspect is TATA who now offers ESP, TC, and HLA right from the base variant in their Nexon.
JithinR is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks