Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2020, 20:31   #151
BHPian

re: The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh

A turbo petrol with a six speed manual gearbox for the purist at 11.45 lakh and with CVT at 13.45 lakh, believe me those are not bare bone models. So the heart and soul (engine and gearbox) are sorted which were not the forte in previous iteration of Kicks.

What you get besides that one of the best suspension set up among the peers and the steering feedback which is at par or better than rivals, which completes the character of this car.
In fact, this engine produces top notch power figures even when compared with segment above rivals.
Only chink in the armour is I would love to see some added kit for the turbo or say CVT models for the amount of price difference it carry. Otherwise I can't see better alternative considering the value proposition it brings with this engine in this segment.

I may pick up the top end manual turbo petrol by this year end if everything went as per plan.

Last edited by Highh5 : 19th May 2020 at 20:34.
Highh5 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 21:30   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

What is not known is the fuel efficiency and extent turbo lag of this car. The 1.5 NA Kicks is at 1305 KG kerb weight and adding a CVT transmission, the kerb weight of the Turbo CVT is likely to be north of 1350 KGs. How would a small 1.3 litre turbo-petrol engine perform in such a car is to be seen. Traditionally these small turbo-petrol engines have terrible turbo lag and poor fuel efficiency when mated to large and heavy cars. Fuel efficiency gets even worse when you are doing some spirited driving. Examples are the Ecosport 1.0 Ecoboost Turbo-petrol which had terrible turbo lag and the Fiat 1.4 multi-air turbo-petrol on the Jeep Compass, that has extremely low fuel efficiency of as low as 5-6 kmpl, as reported by many in this forum. I hope the Kicks Turbo CVT ducks clear of these spirit-killers!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 19th May 2020 at 21:32.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 22:11   #153
BHPian

The Jeep 1.4 turbo petrol is not as bad as people make it out to be. Attached my fuel consumption stats from the Fuelio app, spread of 11000 kms till date.

Average for the year is around 11.2 kmpl, tankful to tankful.

For a ~1600 kg SUV, it is quite reasonable. Note that I drive carefully.

The Nissan will be 250 kgs lighter and has a CVT, so may fare better in real life driving conditions even though its official ARAI efficiency is lower than the Compass.

That said we all know that fuel efficiency in turbo petrols is susceptible to driving styles. So expect a wide range in fuel efficiency figures.
Attached Thumbnails
The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-1589906057726.jpg  

achyutaghosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 22:50   #154
Team-BHP Support

IMO, due to lack of a dependable brand behind it the Kicks will not take the fight to the Creta or the Seltos but its snazzy styling and urban suited kit aided with a well trained sales team may be able to snatch some of the C segment sedan sales in its favour.
manson is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 00:08   #155
Senior - BHPian

It's an excellent move by Nissan to spark interest in a brand that has lost so much ground in India thanks to self inlicted injuries.

For one the package on paper is simply cracking. That engine, manual GB combination is some that is sure to interest any enthusiast. How it performs in real life remains to be seen. Design wise too, the Kicks is on point even on launch. So this while it may not see much volumes is the kind of halo product that Nissan needs to reignite it's brand. At this point I don't think they have much to lose.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 00:13   #156
Senior - BHPian

Wish they'd done something about the bodywork. Not a looker this vehicle. The Seltos looks sporty like the 08 Subaru Impreza, the Creta although polarising is still able to evoke some reaction. The Kicks just blends in with the regular cars on the road and doesn't merit a second glance.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 07:29   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Wish they'd done something about the bodywork. Not a looker this vehicle. The Seltos looks sporty like the 08 Subaru Impreza, the Creta although polarising is still able to evoke some reaction. The Kicks just blends in with the regular cars on the road and doesn't merit a second glance.
Beg to disagree. The Kicks has an outstanding design, a great blend of tough and upright Suv-ishness and smooth and flowing lines. It is inspired by Lexus designs yet retains and originality and authenticity of its own. Seltos and Creta are typically Korean- they throw together fancy design elements copied mainly from European brands to tick as many boxes as possible and appear busy, messy and incoherent. While they may look intriguing now, since they have just been launched, in a year down the line they will become so ubiquitous that the oddities and lack of coherency in the design language will become apparent. Remember, kicks has been around for 2 years, so people are used to seeing it and therefore less likely to notice it every day, but it is an enduringly elegant design that will hold up well for years. It will also will be rarer and more unique since, let us face it - there will be one Kicks for every 20 Seltoses and Cretas on the road.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 20th May 2020 at 07:31.
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 12:56   #158
BHPian

Kia or kicks?
I am the market with a budget of 15 Lakhs for a c-suv. I was thinking about a C segment sedan earlier but then decided to get a c-suv, although not a sub 4 meter one.
I have almost decided to book myself a seltos HTK+ diesel, which is 15.6 L on-road in Bangalore. Although it checks most of the boxes, it misses out on some important ones for me: spend over 15 big ones and don't even get
1. Auto climate control
2. ESP
3. Plush ride, my main reason to move away from c segment sedan
4. Not even the backseat center armrest (can you believe this?) and of-course no adjustable headrests.

I really do not think that Seltos is a value for money product., esp the htk+ D variant, except being a great looker and having a nicer resale value, it misses out of on some obvious features i am looking for at this price point.

Kicks turbo V is 14.8 L on-road and gets everything i am looking for in the product: Safety, dreamy power numbers, albeit with mediocre looks(IMHO)
In my opinion it "kicks" Seltos' in all departments in the htk+ D avatar.

Having said that i am really not sure if i will go ahead and book myself a kicks right away, because of the apprehension that comes with the brand. Will they exit soon if kicks doesn't work out? How will be ASS be? Parts availability? And of course the resale value.
My heart says kicks, but mind says Kia. Is there an easy answer to this?

Last edited by manson : 20th May 2020 at 13:44. Reason: Typos.
carriage.retorq is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 14:00   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriage.retorq View Post
Kia or kicks?
I am the market with a budget of 15 Lakhs for a c-suv. I was thinking about a C segment sedan earlier but then decided to get a c-suv, although not a sub 4 meter one.
I have almost decided to book myself a seltos HTK+ diesel, which is 15.6 L on-road in Bangalore..

Having said that i am really not sure if i will go ahead and book myself a kicks right away, because of the apprehension that comes with the brand. Will they exit soon if kicks doesn't work out? How will be ASS be? Parts availability? And of course the resale value.
My heart says kicks, but mind says Kia. Is there an easy answer to this?
Hope you read my ownership review of Nissan Kicks in this forum. That might help to decide. I would suggest you to take back to back test drives of both the vehicles, if possible multiple times before you decide.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd May 2020 at 02:02. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Godzilla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 15:28   #160
BHPian

Kicks brochure finally available, looks it has tons of details.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nissan Kicks Turbo CVT Brochure.pdf (2.44 MB, 1256 views)
ramki.grandhi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 17:50   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

From the brochure, the odd thing is, the interior photos (pages 12/13) all show the full leather, dual-tone interiors with a CVT Auto transmission - such a variant does not exist!

It is a mock-up picture of the top XV Premium (Optional) Manual with the transmission from the XV Premium Turbo CVT! Goes to show what a big mistake Nissan made not to launch the XV Premium(O) CVT - even Nissan's own brochure makers are stuck without it!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 22nd May 2020 at 17:52.
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:10   #162
BHPian

And I don’t find details about isofix in brochure, I’m not booking it if they don’t have this!
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:36   #163
BHPian

I am looking to replace my XUV500 W6 with a Petrol Automatic. I was interested in 1.3L Petrol CVT top end but disappointed that as basic as 'Front Fog Lamps with Cornering Function' is not available for CVT while MT has all bells and whistles.

Why can't these car manufacturer provide all features in an automatic variant :-(
Joy73US is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 19:22   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
And I don’t find details about isofix in brochure, I’m not booking it if they don’t have this!

They have the ISOFIX seats, even I had the same concern.

Check below ownership report, one of the picture shows that in detail.

link (Nissan Kicks XV Diesel - Ownership Report)

Last edited by Highh5 : 22nd May 2020 at 19:44.
Highh5 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 19:52   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
I think it will have the Isofix mounts. It was not mentioned in the previous brochure as well. You can check it below.

The_Nissan_Kicks.pdf
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed