Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2020, 13:08   #301
BHPian

Re: The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
One more Video Review of Nissan Kicks Turbo Pertrol

The way that guy drives shows why we should never buy media/demo vehicles and why they might be in a bad condition when others use it.

Painful to watch.
SideView is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 17:11   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT56 View Post
Would it be possible to service a Kicks in a Renault center? Has anyone tried that in smaller centers where there is no Nissan presence now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
Both Renault and Nissan shares 99% similar parts. So even if to an extreme end Nissan leaves India, we will surely have the parts and at least till our warranty voids, ASS will be working fine even if Nissan exit India by this year end.

Hi, being a Kicks XLD owner, even I had the same dilemma before finalising the deal. What worked in favour was the fact I had already lived 170k kms with my Duster before swapping it for Kicks. So I was aware of the comfort this platform offers, the performance of the 1.5 engine and the running costs of service, maintenance.

I generally end up keeping cars for 5-6 years and with good running. So re-sale value (or lack thereof) dint bother me too much. Having driven Duster extensively, I wasn't interested in Korean twins. Plus the price differential of equivalent trim!

However, what is a real scare (and point of consideration) is shutting down of Nissan altogether, or dealerships going bust one after another. In capital city, they are down to just ONE dealership and that too on fringes of the city. You can well imagine what would be their / dealers plight in other cities. Also, not to forget if you happen to take your beloved Kicks for a long drive and happen to be in a city without their dealership, you are on your own then! (happened to me in Udaipur). Renault themselves cant boast of great ASS, so we would be at their complete mercy if they are asked to service Nissan by the Alliance.

Not trying to dissuade you, as Kicks Diesel per say, is a good contemporary product (minus the tech and gizmos) , however keep practical points in mind before parting with your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.joshi View Post
Is it even legal to ask customers for logistics charges or customers can ask dealerships to waive this off?
Given the discounts and low volumes, just give your counter offer to whatever they are saying. Logistics/Handling is still a grey area. Dealers also tend to do adjustments in cash component.
Diesel_Drives is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 08:55   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Drives View Post
Not trying to dissuade you, as Kicks Diesel per say, is a good contemporary product (minus the tech and gizmos) , however keep practical points in mind before parting with your money.

A tricky statement

I'm now planning on buying a used Kicks/Duster/Terrano, so that I can reduce the risk if the company exits. Since you have drove the Duster for a good amount of time, how easy and affordable it is to get these cars serviced in ASS or outside?
Old 1st October 2020, 13:04   #304
BHPian

Quote:
A tricky statement

I'm now planning on buying a used Kicks/Duster/Terrano, so that I can reduce the risk if the company exits. Since you have drove the Duster for a good amount of time, how easy and affordable it is to get these cars serviced in ASS or outside?
The Platform and Engine are shared with many of the R-N group vehicles. While I was hunting for a VFM cross over in late 2018, I rejected Creta for its car like handling and meaningless pricing. The other option were the Duster, Terrano or Capture. That's when I read news about upcoming Kicks launch. I simply loved the modern cloths and international design cues which was brought here by Nissan. I almost zeroed Kicks as it was on same existing mechanical as the robust duster/terrano/capture siblings. I test drove 3 times during launch and took the first delivery with my dealer. Kicks is a excellent package with the same performance and ride quality sans gizmos like air purifier, sunroof, tpms, etc offered by koreans.

I never mind the un-confirmed rumors of fate of the company as the part/service wont be an issue since all the above car share all mechanical parts except their external cloths and lights. There are reliable all-car service brands like MyTVS and Bosch who can support with parts as 90% of R-N part are sourced in India. I also have a Chevy beat and never bothered of chevy's exit. I still get my car serviced at the same ex dealer who now owns Jeep and Kia dealership in my city. So decide the car with your own heart by taking proper test drives. If resale and service easiness is your key requirement then you have options like breeza, s-cross, creta, seltos with compromised ride quality or performance.

They way Fazal khan reviewed driving the kicks was more fun to watch. He literally loved and enjoyed driving the kicks in those broken road than any other cars and this is what kicks or duster is meant for.

Last edited by jeganatu : 1st October 2020 at 13:05.
jeganatu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 14:22   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
I never mind the un-confirmed rumors of fate of the company as the part/service wont be an issue since all the above car share all mechanical parts except their external cloths and lights. There are reliable all-car service brands like MyTVS and Bosch who can support with parts as 90% of R-N part are sourced in India. I also have a Chevy beat and never bothered of chevy's exit. I still get my car serviced at the same ex dealer who now owns Jeep and Kia dealership in my city. So decide the car with your own heart by taking proper test drives. If resale and service easiness is your key requirement then you have options like breeza, s-cross, creta, seltos with compromised ride quality or performance.
I own a Chevrolet AVEO UVA, so I do not care about the company exits or non-availbility of parts. My point was, if i buy a new car and the company plans for any exits, all the ASS will never treat our cars as before and literally the extra money i pay for the new and warranty perks will be in criticle situation. So now I'm mostly looking to some good pre-owned cars (Used Kicks are very damn rare ) to save the initial investment and exploit the low resale value to my advantage.

On the other side, i never worry about resale of the car and i will never go for MSIL/TATA/Mahindra considering their arcade ride and handling (No fan of features or gizmos)

Thanks for your detailed insight to my point, I will decide on my purchase once the RN Kiger/Magnite is out
starke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 17:50   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your detailed insight to my point, I will decide on my purchase once the RN Kiger/Magnite is out
Actually, some of the members here could wring out excellent deals just before BS6 kicked in. If you're not in a hurry it's not a bad idea to wait till December or January next year and try squeezing out best deals on the 2020 manufactured models including the 1.3 turbo.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 15:01   #307
BHPian

Another review by carwale. In their acceleration tests, kicks got the following results which are better than what autocar claims. Again that rev lock and aggressive traction control are mentioned as dampers.

0-100: 10.24 sec
20-80 (in 3rd): 9.41 sec
40-100 (in 4th): 12.51 sec

Source link:
https://www.carwale.com/nissan-cars/...-drive-review/
NT56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 15:15   #308
BHPian

Quote:
On the other side, i never worry about resale of the car and i will never go for MSIL/TATA/Mahindra considering their arcade ride and handling (No fan of features or gizmos)
Test drive the Safari/Hexa once!
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 16:27   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
From the brochure, the odd thing is, the interior photos (pages 12/13) all show the full leather, dual-tone interiors with a CVT Auto transmission - such a variant does not exist!

It is a mock-up picture of the top XV Premium (Optional) Manual with the transmission from the XV Premium Turbo CVT! Goes to show what a big mistake Nissan made not to launch the XV Premium(O) CVT - even Nissan's own brochure makers are stuck without it!
I came across the following review from carandbike which shows leather padded dash and a CVT gearbox in an interior pic.

https://www.carandbike.com/reviews/n...review-2310127

I was under the impression that kicks CVT is not available in the top trim which gets the leather.

Are these media cars for popular magazine reviews different from the production models? The pic itself doesn't look doctored. What is even more puzzling is that the steering doesn't have the cruise control buttons suggesting that it is an XV trim not even the XV Premium.

It is very difficult to find a decent kicks CVT review. Has any bhpian test driven the kicks CVT yet?
Old 20th October 2020, 20:21   #310

Same issue here. I test drove the XV(O) MT and found the clutch really hard and the lack of a dead pedal a big problem especially considering the stop and go traffic in Delhi NCR. Was looking forward to the XV(O) trim in CVT but it is not available and there are a LOT of goodies you miss out on if you take the XV. I loved the build quality- it is a TANK. Handling is great as well.

I think the Seltos / Creta turbo petrols are coming in at 19-20 Lakhs on road which still pits the Kicks 2 lakhs cheaper no?

I've delayed my car purchase for an year - hopefully better clarity of Nissan's future in India + XV(O) variant in CVT will help. Otherwise i might have to break the bank and go for a Harrier - Sorry, i just can't see the sense of blowing 19lakhs on Creta/ Seltos. SUVs are about road presence and handling and i just don't "feel" it with these cars.
shal255 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 21:36   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
Test drive the Safari/Hexa once!
We had a family Safari for around 7 years and it was great, the smooth suspension does wonder at those times, but the ride quality is not even nearby to Duster/Kicks.

A colleague of mine switched from Hexa to Duster due to a relocation and I called him once I saw this reply. He agrees that Hexa is one of the best-sorted ride dynamics in Tata family, but the duster is a very different experience for on-road/off-road.

B0 platform from the Alliance is very competent in the segment and offers the best-sorted rideability, period.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th October 2020 at 23:21. Reason: Typo
starke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:47   #312
BHPian

Kicks CVT review from CarandBike.

Deadpool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:04   #313
BHPian

I finally got a chance to test drive the kicks CVT. As expected the drive experience is very similar to the duster turbo CVT, just that it has a better cabin. The transmission is very smooth and quite responsive too, felt better than the civic CVT.

After a lot of test drives and deliberations I have narrowed my search to Kicks turbo XV pre CVT and creta SX turbo DCT. The upfront price premium for creta is 2-2.5 lakhs which is okay to me. Moreover, Nissan service is good in my city and both cars are very close in terms of safety features and power.

Kicks has better ride, handling and drive feel. On the other hand, Creta's cabin feels more refined, and I love the paddle shifters and electronic parking brake with auto-hold(I have used both a lot in the civic). I don't care about features like roof, wireless charging etc.

My requirement is a fun to drive automatic car with a comfortable silent cabin. Most of my commute is in the city with bad roads. I love sedans but because of my daily roads I am considering crossovers.

I am leaning towards the kicks because if I have to slow down for potholes with a creta, I might as well get a sedan. But creta does have a lot going for it in terms of power, refinement and peace of mind of Hyundai.

I would love to hear the thought of folks following this thread. This is going to be a quite common comparison for everyone considering the Kicks CVT.
NT56 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:16   #314
BHPian

You have done all the hard work and highlighted the differences .

The Kicks will give you more ruggedness than the Creta. Both are soft roaders, but the Creta is softer . When you want to visit that waterfalls in the wilderness that requires some mild off roading, you will prefer the Kicks to the Creta.

Since you do not mind the lack of some features, the wide service network of Hyundai versus Nissan's thin network- No big deal for me as these modern machines are so reliable!.

Don't bother too much about service quality and cost. They are all branches of the same tree.
Nalin1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:50   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT56 View Post
Kicks has better ride, handling and drive feel.
My requirement is a fun to drive automatic car with a comfortable silent cabin. Most of my commute is in the city with bad roads.
I think you have the answer in your statement. Kicks is ahead any day than Creta in terms of driving dynamics and ride handling. Also, you can glide with it over city potholes.

Creta's interior feels more premium than Kick's but as you don't need gizmos, you can bear with Kick's interior.
Deadpool is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed