Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2020, 23:36   #166
BANNED

re: The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh

Does anyone know if it's a FGT or VGT ? Looking at the brochure, it does not mention the range of torque delivery, so thinking if it's a FGT.

Believe me, if it's a FGT, it'll be more fun, miss my old Optra, the thrust @ 2200 was orgasmic.

Last edited by manson : 23rd May 2020 at 03:46. Reason: Typo.
Torquedo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 00:48   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
And I don’t find details about isofix in brochure, I’m not booking it if they don’t have this!
Isofix is available in Kicks. I have it in mine. They must have missed to mention.
Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:09   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Kicks brochure finally available, looks it has tons of details.
Many of these features were available in BS4 version as well, there are new features that are added for BS6, such as remote start etc. the funny thing is most of these were never mentioned in the website or the brochure of BS4 variant (imagine how pathetic the marketing team would have been not mentioning the features available).

Thank goodness they have changed the brochure format and added more details for BS6. Kudos to Rakesh Srivastava.
Godzilla is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:58   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy73US View Post
I am looking to replace my XUV500 W6 with a Petrol Automatic. I was interested in 1.3L Petrol CVT top end but disappointed that as basic as 'Front Fog Lamps with Cornering Function' is not available for CVT while MT has all bells and whistles.

Why can't these car manufacturer provide all features in an automatic variant :-(
Without the benefit of knowing the considerations, I would have to say this would be a bit of a downgrade. The only way to upgrade from an XUV5OO is to go to the Fortuner category or at least a Gravitas (if and when it is launched). Kicks is half-a-size smaller.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:04   #170
BHPian

Apart from the Idle Start Stop system and Remote engine start, I see a new feature called Advanced i-SPVT technology for body motion control. Not sure though how it works. Have we seen this in any other vehicle?
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 16:25   #171
BANNED

Don't know what the Junta is looking for, people are comparing it to the Seltos & Creta, a quick glance at the Jeep Compass tells me the exact same specs and featured Sports Plus is a whopping 6L OTR more expensive than the XV Manual.

For guy's considering the Kicks, I would suggest, wait till Dec/Jan, with the pandemic situation and limited sales of the kicks, you would able to squeeze out 1-1.25L from the OTR. This shall make it very sweet. I'm sure some June/July would be available at the dealer yard or at the plant. Also, please wait for the official reviews to be out, I'm sure the team shall iron out all the shortcomings.

If we dream and think about it, the Octavia, just has 26HP more, an automatic (I hate auto boxes) but costs a good 10L more.

Shall close by saying, wait for discounts to offset the initial price that has been offered, drive it, if you like it, there is nothing like it here (specs wise, haven't driven it).

PS: why would anyone think about a T-Roc, aah Auto box and the so called VW famed build quality.
Torquedo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 19:46   #172
BHPian

@Torquedo's post triggered me to create this list.

Under 40 Lakhs, there are only 2 cars which have a better power to weight ratio than Nissan Kicks Turbo

I really wish the MT gearbox is a sweet and sporty unit enough to suit the power. In the right hands especially with mods such as Bilstein coil-overs, it can be surprisingly quick and looks like (at least on paper) it can even keep up with a Mini cooper (similar torque to weight)?

Whoever talks about the value for money quotient, please show them this. Except for the JTP, most of the Top 10s are significantly above 20 Lakhs, you could get Turbo Kicks for 12 lakhs (ex-showroom).

The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-power2weight.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 24th May 2020 at 06:41. Reason: Please avoid use of acronyms like ex.sh.
Godzilla is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 21:18   #173
BHPian

Good to see Nissan trying to resurrect Kicks.

But the main question here is whether this New Kicks can bring New life to Nissan in India.

Nissan, as a brand, is struggling in India. They sold 12944, 7208, 6910 in the year 2017, 2018 and 2019 respectively. Fiat sold more vehicles in these years compared to Nissan. Chevrolet sold 28949 and 7434 cars in their last 2 years of sales in India (2016 and 2017). Source (2019 Report Card - Annual Indian Car Sales & Analysis!)
The brand, as appropriately mentioned in one of the threads in team-bhp, is in death watch.

So, any company trying to plough its way back to a mass market business would need the below.
1. Great Product
2. Great Support
3. Great Pricing

1. Great Product

Nissan's global Kicks is based on a new platform while the Indian version is based on the much older Duster platform.
This Duster platform is a tried and tested one in India and is known for its superb ride and handling package. At the same time, it brings all the problems associated with the old platform in to this new car. The max 4 airbags sealing might also be from the restrictions imposed by the platform (based on another post here in the forum).
On the positive side, Indian Kicks look almost same as its global variant. And nothing like old Duster or Terrano. Personally, for me, it looks good.

Kicks came with single transmission option initially. The New Kicks has 2 engine and 2 transmission options. The competition, unfortunately, will be the Creta and Seltos, each coming in with 3 engines and 4 separate transmission options. The bigger the options, the larger the target segment.
Kicks do not have a diesel option anymore when more than 50% of New Creta bookings are diesel.

While Kicks gets only an old platform, it gets a brand-new global engine. This engine has unmatched power and torque figures for the segment. It will be an enthusiast's delight. Unfortunately, I doubt if this engine alone will bring in the sales.
Combining all the aspects - Kicks is a good product, but not exceptionally great (compared to the competition). By this, I mean, it cannot pull the customers 'just because it is much better' than whatever competition has to offer.

2. Great Support
Nissan dealerships have been given a hard hand. With less than 30k car sales in total for the last 3 years and minimal number of launches, there would be very low footfall in the dealerships.
This naturally leads to less service satisfaction, leading to low customer rating for after sale support. The cycle is hard on every party involved, leads to even more ‘low’ sales and low resale value for existing owners.
Nissan need to increase the footfall in their dealerships. They need to increase the number of car sales so that a wide service set up can sustain itself. Easier said than done. The cloud of 'Nissan might exit India' will keep even more prospective customers away from the product.
With platforms, technologies and factories being shared, not sure what stops Renault-Nissan from sharing showrooms.

3. Great Pricing

Considering the current situation of Brand Nissan in Indian car market, pricing would be the key to bring more sales. If Nissan can bring a good product (which Kicks is), at a price such that the initial lot of customers decide to overlook the current condition of the brand and support, they can sell a good number of cars at launch and then slowly increase the prices. It would always be preferable to 'launch at a sweet price, gain traction and then increase the price' than 'launch at an optimistic price, loose traction and then give heavy discounts and kill the product'.

At current prices, I doubt if the Kicks can pull in enough numbers from Creta/Seltos to resurrect Nissan. A really sweet launch price would have helped them bring in the crowd to dealerships.
The competition offers same or more features (and even more bling that sell, for example Panoramic Sunroof, 6 airbags, ventilated seats), has better service support, has better brand image - all at slight premium. Since the turbo petrol game here is at 15-20 lakh OTR segment, I doubt if the prospective customers would hesitate is adding that slight premium to their budget.
Cheapest automatic variant in Seltos and Creta cost 16.8 and 18.7 lakhs respectively on road Bangalore. Cheapest Kicks CVT slots in at 16.84.
Creta launching an automatic in S variant (whenever they do) is going to make it even more tougher for the Kicks CVT. Competition presents a manual variant at every price point and it would be interesting to see if the customers pick the Kicks Turbo as the preferred manual variant in the segment.
I can see why they are hesitant to bring in the top end Automatic, it would have cost 19.4 lakhs odd in Bangalore.

Alternate view:
What if Nissan is going for the top end customers of XUV 300 and Nexon (or other Sub-4m suv's)?
Turbo petrol manual top version of these cost 15 and 13.4 lakhs respectively. Diesel costs 15.4 and 15.2 lakhs respectively. Kicks XV Turbo slots in at 14.87lakhs and XV Pre-Turbo at 15.85lakhs.
Top end automatic (Diesel) versions cost 16lakhs each for XUV and Nexon. At 16.84 lakhs, will the 'XV Turbo 1.3 CVT' variant be able to pull in customers of XUV and Nexon? They get better transmission, a more powerful engine and a bigger car for a slight premium.

Can some of the informed members please share examples of car companies that came back from the brink of death and won their customers back. Anywhere in the world. It would make a great story to read on how they achieved it. Redemption always make great inspiring stories. May be even a new thread.
srikanthmadhava is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 21:23   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
@Torquedo's post triggered me to create this list.
I think the weight data needs to be re checked, The weight of the Honda City is shown as 1463 Kg, which is incorrect.
Turrrb0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 21:37   #175
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
In the right hands especially with mods such as Bilstein coil-overs, it can be surprisingly quick and looks like (at least on paper) it can even keep up with a Mini cooper (similar torque to weight)?
Godzilla, awesome analysis, to add to what you have stated, slap a simple map, you'll be looking at 180+ ho and 300+ Nm, it'll be a freight train coupled with the pleasure of revving it up.

Another tbhp fav, 1.8 TSi Laura had the same stock specs as the Kicks, it costed 14 odd in 2011, just for the comparo.
Torquedo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 21:41   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
I think the weight data needs to be re checked, The weight of the Honda City is shown as 1463 Kg, which is incorrect.
Thanks for spotting it. I agree, I did this quickly across different websites and there could be errors, please feel free to fix it in the excel if needed. One more thing is some manufacturers such as Kia and Hyundai do not mention their Kerb weights, so these figures are assumptions.

Revised here.
The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-23052020-213626ddd.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Power_to_weight_ratio_IndianCarsunder40L.xlsx (20.7 KB, 226 views)
Godzilla is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 10:51   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriage.retorq View Post
Kia or kicks?
I am the market with a budget of 15 Lakhs for a c-suv.
Having said that i am really not sure if i will go ahead and book myself a kicks right away, because of the apprehension that comes with the brand. Will they exit soon if kicks doesn't work out? How will be ASS be? Parts availability? And of course the resale value.
My heart says kicks, but mind says Kia. Is there an easy answer to this?

I think we need to keep in mind that Renault and Nissan alliance in mind & that it will stay in the market for sure considering at least Renault is doing ok. Also the engines and chassis etc are common and so service should not be an issue in the long run. The real question is whether which one you like driving and is comfortable for your family which can only be ascertained with a test drive. I personally found Kia good looking but flashy & cramped for the money & found Nissan better looking than Kia(though also slightly cramped inside) especially the blue colour & more features is always a plus cos it helps in making the overall experience better.

So take a test drive & make a decision.
urajkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 13:25   #178
BHPian

Attached pricelist and accessories list from surya Nissan, Bangalore.
Old 25th May 2020, 13:49   #179
BHPian

Thanks @godzilla and @urajkumar for your insightful thoughts.

I have also been doing some search on the fuel consumption of HR13. Looks like people are reporting about 6 to 7.5 L per 100km and about 9 to 10 L per 100km on spitired driving. So 10 to 14ish Kmpl.
This is based on various YouTube videos for Nissan and Renault cars using this engine in other countries.
I guess it will definitely be a bit lesser in India given the fuel quality and traffic and road conditions.
carriage.retorq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 16:10   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriage.retorq View Post
Thanks @godzilla and @urajkumar for your insightful thoughts.

I have also been doing some search on the fuel consumption of HR13. Looks like people are reporting about 6 to 7.5 L per 100km and about 9 to 10 L per 100km on spirited driving. So 10 to 14ish Kmpl.
This is based on various YouTube videos for Nissan and Renault cars using this engine in other countries.
I guess it will definitely be a bit lesser in India given the fuel quality and traffic and road conditions.

Cars with the same engine reach 0-100 in 8-9 secs and a top speed of 200+ kmph.

Godzilla is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks