Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2020, 09:30   #181
BHPian

re: The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Cars with the same engine reach 0-100 in 8-9 secs and a top speed of 200+ kmph.
Qashqai has DCT, so 0-100 numbers may not be directly relevant to indian kicks CVT. But 200 kmph might be quite possible, though i would never recommend going beyond 80-100.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st May 2020 at 17:17. Reason: Removed video from quoted post.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 12:18   #182
BHPian

While the review of Polo 1.0 TSi is already out on ACI, intriguing that no mags or YT channels have reviewed the Kicks 1.3 yet.
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 17:05   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

The Renault Nissan factory in Chennai is apparently yet to open. So it may be possible that the actual TD cars may not arrive for a while and this remains a “paper launch” only. On the other hand, Hyundai opened up their Chennai plant weeks ago, though they had to go through some fits and starts due to some cases in the factory. Just shows the difference in drive between the two companies.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 18:45   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The Renault Nissan factory in Chennai is apparently yet to open. So it may be possible that the actual TD cars may not arrive for a while and this remains a “paper launch” only. On the other hand, Hyundai opened up their Chennai plant weeks ago, though they had to go through some fits and starts due to some cases in the factory. Just shows the difference in drive between the two companies.
But dealerships in Bangalore already got test drive vehicles, Surya Nissan sales team has asked me to come down or they can vehicle to my home in Bangalore. But we are still in red zone, so I couldn’t try it.
Old 2nd June 2020, 20:27   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
But dealerships in Bangalore already got test drive vehicles, Surya Nissan sales team has asked me to come down or they can vehicle to my home in Bangalore. But we are still in red zone, so I couldn’t try it.
Yes, I got a call from honnassiri nissan, Mysore and they have td vehicles. I live in Chikmagalur, will plan a drive to Mysore soon for a td.
carriage.retorq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 22:11   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriage.retorq View Post
Yes, I got a call from honnassiri nissan, Mysore and they have td vehicles. I live in Chikmagalur, will plan a drive to Mysore soon for a td.
Pretty please, can you update us with your first impressions of manual turbo?

Nvh, braking performance, steering feel are the ones I’m interested. Literally no first hand info on this on web.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 16:06   #187
BHPian

Hello all. Just had a very short test drive of the 1.3 Turbo petrol manual Nissan Kicks. Official test drive vehicle is yet to arrive here at Guwahati but the Sales Manager was kind enough to let me drive the showroom vehicle after a little request. So no highway ride but in the service road nearby.

Interior and exterior looks just the same as the regular Kicks and am surprised they did'nt even put on a "Turbo" badge anywhere.

BUT what really blown me away was the sheer power of the engine post about 1700-1800 rpm. It took me by surprise and really had to recalibrate my grip on the steering which was precise and responsive. Sadly, in a service road could'nt go past the 3rd gear but I can pretty much say this car is capable of some insane speed. Engine felt refined and the sound felt good in the ears after the turbo spooled. Not sure whether Nissan played with the suspension system for this engine but the ride and handling felt very good and that short turning radius was a boon.

I would just end by saying this engine felt way more powerful and accelerated way better than the 1.4 Turbo Gdi of the Korean brands. Do check it out.
Attached Thumbnails
The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-20200604_130058.jpg  

The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-20200604_131902.jpg  

purb_du is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:41   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Crossovers with 154 bhp could be a recipe for disaster at high speeds in ordinary hands. The performance ratios better my 177 bhp Octavia!

But kudos to Renault- Nissan-Mitsubishi-Daimler for bringing this thoroughly modern engine to India.

https://www.evoindia.com/amp/story/n...gine-explained

Last edited by itwasntme : 4th June 2020 at 19:46.
itwasntme is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 11:32   #189
BHPian

If anyone in Chennai is looking to test drive the new Nissan Kicks Turbo Manual, it is available at Autorelli Nissan. The salesperson mentioned that the CVT version is yet to arrive.
Godzilla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 13:01   #190
Senior - BHPian

The one above in white looks majestic. Will definitely stand out in the sea of Seltos' and Cretas. 210 mm ground clearance is another strong point over 190 of Korean twins.

Just as Suzuki is selling Balenos and Brezzas with Toyota logo, Nissan should have sold these with Hyundai logo through Hyundai showrooms and this would have been a superhit. I know, I know they don't have any such arrangement in place but if they had, Kicks would have set the sales charts afire.
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 15:14   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Just as Suzuki is selling Balenos and Brezzas with Toyota logo, Nissan should have sold these with Hyundai logo through Hyundai showrooms and this would have been a superhit. I know, I know they don't have any such arrangement in place but if they had, Kicks would have set the sales charts afire.
Interesting thought, but I would prefer Nissan to partner with Tata for better reachability because Hyundai would never be interested to sell creta's competition to benefit Nissan. In current market i could see this:

Ford + Mahindra
Skoda + VW
Kia + Hyundai
Maruti + Toyota
Honda + ?
Tata + Nissan + Renault --> must be good combination. In fact, Kicks fits nicely between nexon and harrier.

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 5th June 2020 at 15:17.
Old 5th June 2020, 17:16   #192
Senior - BHPian

Considering how the Tata Fiat partnership went I would rather Nissan partnership with Mitsubishi and bring in the Outlander/Triton/Eclipse Cross.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 08:01   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Considering how the Tata Fiat partnership went I would rather Nissan partnership with Mitsubishi and bring in the Outlander/Triton/Eclipse Cross.
Sorry to disappoint you buddy but Mitsubishi is already part of the alliance (some ratio) since late 2016! Think if the alliance wanted to bring focus to Mitsubishi products, they had enough and 'better' times than today.

Coming back to Nissan, think they could be better off by not taking prospective customers / sales partner for granted. Much like maybe how Renault is doing off late with India specific products and expanding range.

Coming back to 1.3 turbo petrol, looks a stonker from the figures and outside of India reviews. How I wish they would have done a 'Rider' 1.3 variant ala Skoda Rapid fashion at even more aggressive pricing That could have garnered much more interest in brand Nissan.
Diesel_Drives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 09:24   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes I agree a 9.99 lakh base XE variant with the 1.3 L engine would have worked wonders for volumes. I guess given the import duty structure on the imported engine and gearbox along with the more robust build of the Kicks compared to the base Duster platform would have made it cost prohibitive to offer at that price point. The difference of 1.8 lakhs between the Kicks XV 1.3 and Kicks xV 1.5 NA if almost 1.8 lakhs.

I am hopeful that when the Duster gets the 1.3 litre engine, Renault offers a base 1.3 Turbo RxE/RxL at 9.99 lakhs. With the thinner and cheaper build of the Duster and the heavily optimised and localised parts supply chain of the 8 year old Duster platform, Renault may be able to pull this feat off. If they don’t play the value card, it is goodbye to any kind of volumes for the Duster, as Kicks is superior in every way and 1.5 NA variants of Kicks are priced very well - so there is no reason anybody would pick a Duster over the Kicks.

Renault has to take a page from Skoda’s book here- launching a well knitted Rapid Rider at 7.49 lakhs is a coup and the internet is abuzz about it, lifting a 9 year old product like the Rapid with no changes other than a brand new and powerful engine and transmission into the mainstream, giving it a new lease of life. Duster needs exactly this treatment, an 8 year old product with a brand new powerful 1.3 turbo engine and 6 speed transmission offered at a shock price of 9.99 lakhs! This will get the Duster out of the doldrums and position it as the highest value SUV one can buy today, just like the Rapid Rider has become the highest value compact sedan you can buy today!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 6th June 2020 at 09:48.
Old 6th June 2020, 10:16   #195
BHPian

Comimg back to the Kicks, and which is the only mass market product for Nissan in India currently, I think they have a good package at hand.

Its just that I feel after the initial product launch they went silent. I felt no aggression nor motivation to promote or push the product to the buyers after the launch. Mere comparing it with its rivals on papers is not going to win over prospective buyers. They should have atleast made a big flashy launch as a start at the dealer level.

And till now I see not much ads in print media nor in radio/tv here and time maybe running out again while the rest marches ahead in the sales chart. Its just a case of intention and who/where you want to be at the end of the day for Nissan.

But yes the current covid situation and the economy at length surely not helping anyone right now and hope good days are back soon for everyone. Stay safe and careful while test driving this new monster in town.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks