Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th April 2020, 17:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default MG Hector modified into ambulance for Covid-19 patients

MG Motor India has modified one of its Hector SUVs into an ambulance for Covid-19 patients. It was donated to the CHC hospital in Halol, Gujarat.

MG Hector modified into ambulance for Covid-19 patients-20200430042753_incollage_20200430_152557931.jpg

The one-off Hector ambulance is equipped with essential medical equipment including an auto-loading stretcher, an oxygen supply system with a cylinder and a medical cabinet with five-parameter monitor.

MG Hector modified into ambulance for Covid-19 patients-20200430042821_hectorambulanceinteriorl.jpg

The Hector ambulance has a fire extinguisher, an exterior light bar, siren and amplifier, an inverter with battery and sockets as well as additional interior lighting. The SUV has a special jump seat for an attendant.

MG Hector modified into ambulance for Covid-19 patients-20200430042807_img_20200428_172419.jpg

Besides this, earlier this month, MG had donated 100 Hector SUVs for doctors, medical staff, police and the local government officials fighting the Covid-19 pandemic in India.

MG Hector modified into ambulance for Covid-19 patients-20200430042836_handover.jpg

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 18:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: MG Hector modified into ambulance for Covid-19 patients

MG Motor India surely knows how to be in the news.
Also, this modification shows the versatility of the Hector in times of need.

Call the product Chinese or whatever; but the team in India is surely doing the job just right.
parrys is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 18:31   #3
BHPian

I don't get it. Why not just sponsor a regular Force Motors - Ambulance version with MORRIS GARAGES stickers all over it ?

I am sure it is pretty cheap and more spacious for an ambulance compared to a specially made/ designed Hector

This just looks like a PR stunt to me, which is no harm. But this is just taking it to a very "obvious" level of PR exercise. Or may be they have a lot of unsold BS 4 inventory ? Please share your views
Sk8r is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 18:42   #4
BHPian

A subtle way to advertise the large amount of space in a product. Nice touch.
Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 18:58   #5
BHPian

Like most of you have already commented, it is purely a marketing gimmick. In other words, making use of opportunity. Nothing else!
Old 1st May 2020, 07:47   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramesh3210 View Post
it is purely a marketing gimmick. In other words, making use of opportunity.
Agreed that it is a PR exercise, but one that also benefits regular citizens, no? This is a classic win-win scenario where everyone walks away victorious.

Thanks to the space + soft ride quality, the MG is probably the best makeshift ambulance from the segment!
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 08:12   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah trust the Chinese to do some PR with their auto companies at this time. Aren't we seeing their PR machinery in action all over the world?
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 09:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Ah trust the Chinese to do some PR with their auto companies at this time. Aren't we seeing their PR machinery in action all over the world?
Very well said and I feel the same too. Also it is in our hands to not to get influenced by such PR stunts when we are out in the market to shop for a new car.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 10:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed that it is a PR exercise, but one that also benefits regular citizens, no? This is a classic win-win scenario where everyone walks away victorious.
I'm not going to disagree with you that it will benefit regular citizens GTO. But my point was more towards the opportunistic launch. Let us wait and see if ambulance will be a part of their segment - Which I think no!
Old 1st May 2020, 12:14   #10
BHPian

Great initiative by MG. Certainly it involves a bit of marketing too. But no bad if it helps others. Just as GTO said, win-win for all.

Quote:
I'm not going to disagree with you that it will benefit regular citizens GTO. But my point was more towards the opportunistic launch. Let us wait and see if ambulance will be a part of their segment - Which I think no!
I don't see your point. If not the ambulance version, do they have to donate a conventional Hector with all bells and whistles to the authorities? How is that going to help in the current situation? Infact in the current situation, IMO we must accept help in whichever format it is available.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th May 2020 at 00:02. Reason: Note deleted. Please use the Report Post button to get a Moderator's attention. Thanks!
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 12:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I don't see your point. If not the ambulance version, do they have to donate a conventional Hector with all bells and whistles to the authorities? How is that going to help in the current situation? Infact in the current situation, IMO we must accept help in whichever format it is available.
I think there is a misunderstanding. What I infact tried to convey is that the brand is promoting Hector indirectly during this difficult time. Nothing else!

Of course it will benefit a lot of people to which I have not disagreed. I hope this clarified what I said.
Old 1st May 2020, 12:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I think there is a misunderstanding. What I infact tried to convey is that the brand is promoting Hector indirectly during this difficult time. Nothing else!

Of course it will benefit a lot of people to which I have not disagreed. I hope this clarified what I said.
I didn't misunderstand. I already said this involves a bit of marketing for MG as well. They have already given some monetary aid to the government. This is another of their initiative which helps them as well as general public. Win-Win for everyone.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 12:49   #13
BHPian

I agree with GTO: win-win for all. I'm going to look at the positive side. Kudos to MG's Indian management for their initiatives during the pandemic.

Apart from donating hundred Hectors for the medical fraternity, they have also made a decent donation and helped by supplying medical equipment. It's probably a PR exercise but deserves our appreciation.
JojyKerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 14:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
I don't get it. Why not just sponsor a regular Force Motors - Ambulance version with MORRIS GARAGES stickers all over it ?

I am sure it is pretty cheap and more spacious for an ambulance compared to a specially made/ designed Hector

This just looks like a PR stunt to me, which is no harm. But this is just taking it to a very "obvious" level of PR exercise. Or may be they have a lot of unsold BS 4 inventory ? Please share your views
Spot ON ! Wonderful way to dispose the BS4 stock and blame the pandemic for delays in BS6 stock. However, MG India has utilized the situation to their advantage. The plus point is, BS4 or 6, small or big, a free ambulance is always welcome in these trying times and will go a long way in helping the poor and needy get medical care. Kudos to MG India for this gesture.

One never knows that these might just be quoted in an international forum at a later date for China to "show" how much they have helped in the pandemic !! PR exercise... Without any doubt. Especially considering their "Wuhan" origins !
lifebuoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 16:23   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Agreed that this is mainly a PR exercise but they have done it very well. Like GTO said, it is a win win for everyone. In this dire time our health care system is getting an ambulance even if it's a makeshift one. Also I don't think MG will go on and claim its a full fledged ambulance. Earlier I read about they providing about 100 Hectors with driver for transportation of medical staff and health care workers while following proper social distancing protocols and also something about manufacture of ventilators. Then that PR exercise was also beneficial to us.

We can keep in mind that this is a PR exercise to increase the brand visibility and goodwill of the company but we should also see that we are getting some benefits out of this and appreciate that. I have seen many a MS Omni used as primary ambulances and the MG Hector will anyday make a better one than that.

It's a bit sneaky but nothing remotely unethical.
My two Paisa.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed