Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2007, 12:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I do not know how you can even compare Estillo to the looks of a Santro or even WagonR. They are miles ahead in looks dept when compared to this wacky thing on wheels. Its the ugliest car on roads IMO. In fact Santro has come a long way in looks since its early days. The Xing looks so much better.

Yesterday I saw a pink colored Estillo that had some garish chrome finished borders around its pointed, triangular headlights (yucks!) and the pursed lip grills. Egadds... horrible!
I agree with Zappo. It looks totally ugly. I am seeing new wagonrs and santros in my office. Haven't seen an estilo till now. I never look at an estilo two times. Pink Estilo? i am sick.
Old 13th March 2007, 12:21   #32
BHPian

If you take the design out of the equation, do you guys still feel its a not-so-good buy. My brother in law has just bought Estilo as his first car (he is still learning to drive). Has he made a mistake in not going in for a Santro or WagonR ?
Old 13th March 2007, 14:16   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
If you take the design out of the equation, do you guys still feel its a not-so-good buy. My brother in law has just bought Estilo as his first car (he is still learning to drive). Has he made a mistake in not going in for a Santro or WagonR ?
Don't worry Kalpeshc... Shape and color of the car are mater of individual taste. What someone like, others may not like. If your brother liked it, he should simply enjoy the ride without bothering about others perception.

Zen Estilo is WagonR in disguise. If you think WagonR is good, consider Zen Estilo even better as it looks fresh with options of funckly colors(again, mater of personal taste). And WagonR and Santro are around for some time. (Santro is even going to be repositioned with the entry of new Hyundai Pa. It will be a notch below Pa and may be near Maruti Alto.)

Yes I would agree with the crowd about quality of plastic used in interior on Zen Estilo. A Santro interior feels much more posh even in gray color.

Last thing is that one may not get good resale price if number of the cars on the street isn't impressive but that don't seem to be the case as per the numbers reported about number of Zen sold so far.

In one line, ask your brother to enjoy his car. Zen Estilo is a good overall package and I'm sure that it would be around quite some time.
Old 13th March 2007, 14:29   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I've seen lots of ladies driving Estilos - especially the pink color. Only difference - they have their wife and kids in the car too.
Thats a good one Mag. Even the ladies wont be caught dead driving this one
Old 13th March 2007, 19:02   #35
BHPian

Estilo Sales

Hey are you sure the news is geniune?

I read in ACi that Zen Estilo is overbooked, 10k in the first month and doing very well subsequently. And in some parts of India it is running at a premium of 20k for immediate delivery. The monthly sales figure also seem to be supporting this.
Old 15th March 2007, 05:42   #36
BANNED

Recently I've seen a Jan sales report and it's sales(or bookings) are almost nearer to the Santro, although WagonR outsells both.

So how can we term Estilo as a FLOP(sales wise) ?
Old 15th March 2007, 13:07   #37
fb1
BHPian

lol saw a guy driving a pink estilo, couldnt help cracking up at him.
Old 15th March 2007, 14:28   #38
BHPian

zen estillo is the worst small car on indian roads. With so many UV's on indian roads, driving a zen est is like swimming in a sea full of sharks. i test drove one and i was scared to drive it. Altho by design it could be a safe car but it just feels so unsafe. AND there is noting to talk about its engine.
Old 15th March 2007, 14:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

Estilo is new look car in India for sure! Like Swift which looked different Estilo also looks bit different comapred to other cars, But problem with Estilo is we have better cars than estilo in that segment. Santro and
WagonR always better bet compared with Estilo!

Estilo scores less in practicality although it looks different to eyes!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 16th March 2007, 00:04   #40
BHPian

Hope Maruti takes lessons with this one and does not blunders Baleno with the same fate in its new avataar. Already people say that new Baleno is not that good looking as the old Baleno.

Even Maruti's showroom salesmen people say that we never know what Maruti folks may come up with. I mean was providing a slightly different shade in beige and non plasticky looks and feels in the Zen Estilo so difficult a task that designers at Maruti couldn't even figure this out? I wonder why can't the Maruti's contract designers / own designers learn some small tips about car interiors designs and appeal from international launches ?
Old 16th March 2007, 00:24   #41
BHPian

The Estilo sucks in all departments except for performance. It has two great things going for it though.
1. it's a Maruti, and we Indian's are suckers for anything that company dishes out because we 'trust' them even though they overcharge us, because their resale values are higher
2. It is small, and half of India's driving population drive like wimps, and half of the rest drive like ninnies, and half of the remaining should not have been let loose on the road. Size does matter. The smaller you are, the less likely you are to get bumped.

An absolute rip-off at 4.25Lakhs. Muster up another 60K and go get the Swift
Old 16th March 2007, 00:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

I owned a third hand zen 1997 model,ohh that was a baby to take care of drive to the limits and smoothness...i sold it waiting for the newone and this makes me sick for my decision.
Old 16th March 2007, 08:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Fails to live up to expectations? I personally did not expect much out of this glorified autorikshaw, so it hasn't failed my expectations thaaaat much

My installer hates getting an Estilo for work, as he says the Estilo has the thinnest sheetmetal he's ever seen. The boot, the fuel-cap/lid and eveything else rattle like mad even at low volumes (audio).

Considering this, I bet the Estilo starts rattling like a 10 year-old car in 3 months of just normal use. And, if the body panels are that thin, I shudder to think of the tinkering & repainting cost that owners are going to face, even for minor accidents.
Old 28th March 2007, 23:49   #44
BHPian

Another funny thing is their crappy TV Add which justifies their design.
If every boxy things are cute and beautiful... I would like to prefer a cofin with wheels.
Old 29th March 2007, 06:56   #45
BHPian

There are still Jap companies arrogantly treating India (and many other countries) as a trash yard and yet overcharging for that. We should blame ourselves for buying such things.

MR Wagon of 5+ yrs ago is now peddled in india as 'new zen'. Samsung taught them a lesson in electronics globally and Suzuki, Yamaha (m/cycle) are learning lesson hard way.

It is far better to buy a crappy domestic model like Indica instead of Estilo. Either that or we become like NZ/Aus/srilanka opening up our markets to second hand car imports from HK/Japan. That way atleast more variety will hit our shores.

Most Viewed