Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2007, 14:22   #76
Team-BHP Support

Once again, John to the rescue, first the Logan and now the Estilo.
Old 6th July 2007, 14:25   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Once again, John to the rescue, first the Logan and now the Estilo.
Yeah, i kinda like rescuing damsels in distress.
Old 6th July 2007, 14:31   #78
Senior - BHPian

A lot of cars have flopped in INDIA. SONATA, EMBRA, ELANTRA, ZEN CLASSIC etc etc... And i don't think none of them have sold around 4k units in 1 month like estilo.

No doubt it's sales are lesser than WAGONR but when i see ESTILO with alloys and stuff it looks better looking than WAGONR (again ones own personal choice). Old Zen was targeted towards Males and New Zen Estilo is targeted towards FEMALES coz Maruti has the MALE named SX4 for males. Confusing Eh!!!
Old 6th July 2007, 15:14   #79
BHPian

ofcourse rjstyle thats what I was sayin in my post if you read till the end - it all comes to personal taste and the functionality you need as well as the amount of emphasis you put on looks vs what you really need out of the vehicle.

on a personal note - since u asked, I drive a santro xing erlx and I'm not really a fan of the way a santro looks (budget constraints and hence i bought it vs the swift). I have however tried to make it look as neat as possible and over the last 1.5 yrs or so of owning it, I have started to like the way it looks

Theres a saying "kawuye ko bhi apna bacha sabse sundar lagta hai" even a crow finds it crowkid beautiful. So as long as one likes the way their vehicle looks stock or can make it look the way they want by adding alloys, skirts, etc, its all good
Old 6th July 2007, 18:53   #80
BHPian

Mob mentality and forums... sigh.. that's another discussion. But pertinent to this issue, I still don't see what's so feminine about the Estilo. The 'pink' / purple colour is actually only one of many (6 or 7) colours that are available for the car. I am pretty sure if you get any car in pink it's going to look feminine, so not so sure why this car gets such grief.

And ALL small cars looks ugly though some less than others. If they made a really beautiful car in the economy segment, the sale of higher end cars would suffer especially in markets like India.
Old 6th July 2007, 19:05   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
A lot of cars have flopped in INDIA. SONATA, EMBRA, ELANTRA, ZEN CLASSIC etc etc... And i don't think none of them have sold around 4k units in 1 month like estilo.
I dont think it is fair to compare Zen with Sonata/Embera/Elantra since they are in a different class and even the best selling segment leader hardly sells 500 cars a month)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
No doubt it's sales are lesser than WAGONR but when i see ESTILO with alloys and stuff it looks better looking than WAGONR (again ones own personal choice). Old Zen was targeted towards Males and New Zen Estilo is targeted towards FEMALES coz Maruti has the MALE named SX4 for males. Confusing Eh!!!
A fair comparison of Zen should be with the Chevy Spark against which it is directly targeted. Both are available in bright vibrant colours, Both can be called "Cute". Although IMO, Spark looks far better than Zen. But to each his own.
Old 6th July 2007, 19:27   #82
BHPian

yep i prefer spark over estilo - so is spark doing more sales than estilo do we have the number on sparks sold or is it to early to ask
Old 6th July 2007, 22:04   #83
Senior - BHPian

Okay lets address a different issue, why should Estilo sell "alongside" WAGON R? Why cant a few additional features (like reclining rear seats) of the WAGON R be incorporated on the Estilo (that one some will say will be the 4 seater vs the 5 seater issue - but whats stopping Maruti to have 4 seat/5 seat versions of the Estilo itself). Everywhere else MR WAGON was the successor to the WAGON R, why not here? (People will give me the 800, Zen, Alto story but those were actually cars catering to different segments) The answer is Maruti itself wasn't confident about MR WAGON being successful in itself, but yes, ESTILO + Wagon R is generating a little more sales than what WAGON R itself (+ Zen) was generating in the last few months. Worse still, it took the Zen name and associated it with something that has the soul of WAGON R all over it. So shouldn't people normally not be angry? Maruti expects the REAL ZEN customers to buy the SWIFT (forcing them to go a price band higher)

Last edited by 1100D : 6th July 2007 at 22:06.
Old 6th July 2007, 22:10   #84
Senior - BHPian

Maruti did not badge it as the new zen, they named it as the zen estilo as the name zen is quite a household name in india. And the takers for the old zen just simply disappeared, visible only in forums & meets. Even today the old zen is going for peanuts. I know we all love the amby & the fiat, but how many people would go ahead & buy it for our daily drive ?
Old 6th July 2007, 22:21   #85
Team-BHP Support

I don't find it a bad car at all. I advised one of my friends to get one as it suited his needs. Mind you he is 5'11" and weighs just a tad below century and he likes the car.

Needless to say we TD'ed the WagonR and Santro. WagonR interiors were a little drab all grey and black and the main drawback for him was the accelerator pedal position which was hurting his ankle. Space wise both were similar.

The Santro was cheaper but the seat even fully extended back was not enough for him.

The Estilo had the better ergonomics for him and was a breeze to drive. He was learning to drive and amongst these 3 cars he dint stall the estilo which for him was the deciding factor.

I drive the car atleast twice a week and found it pretty easy to drive in city but handling the alto is way better. The gear shift in both WagonR and estilo is very poor very notchy and spindly. The Alto's gear shift is a tad better i.e. meatier but notchy still.

It costs 6K lesser than the WagonR and has power windows in the front which means it's better VFM.

ps: @1100D: all wagonR's are now 5 seaters with a single rear bench with no reclining. only flip down full seat.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th July 2007 at 22:24.
Old 7th July 2007, 16:35   #86
Senior - BHPian

I would say any day WagonR is better than Estilo. The manoeverability is good and would rather put it better than Estilo.....
Old 8th July 2007, 01:21   #87
BHPian

well, I am 95% convinced I am going to buy it, so maybe I'll post a review or something once I actually do.
Old 8th July 2007, 10:05   #88
NIP
Senior - BHPian

its nice to see these bubbly cars in wacky colours zipping around. sometimes it feels like a vision of the future with all those bulbous cars hovering about
Old 25th July 2007, 12:31   #89

I understand Estilo in Pink, Green, Yellow, (sometimes) Red looks very "girly" . Im going to buy my first car. My mother liked Estilo (that was obvious). But is there any way to little bit pull Estilo out of its girly looks? How will this look-

**Colour (metallic)- Black or Silver. Maruti calles them Midnight Black and Pearl Silver.
**Rear Spoiler
**Alloys

Just go on Estilo's website, choose above colours. How does it look? Will it come out of its "girly" image??? What you say? I didn't mind going for Estilo, but after reading this thread, my views are changed. Actually my parents are going to pay and they are so convienced with it. Especially my mom liked the Estilo. But, I have freedom to choose colour and accessories. Thats why I thought so. Please comment...

Note from the support staff: Smiley usage is restricted to 2 per post. Read the rules and regulations page.

Last edited by DCEite : 25th July 2007 at 18:36. Reason: Removing excessive smilies
Old 25th July 2007, 20:17   #90
BHPian

its not a bad vehicle at all
we bought one in april kind of didnt come across this thread
we are happy with the car...interiors are ok..i like the seating even a 5'(5'-4) person can easily have good visibility ..what i like the most is that unlike many other tallboy models u have the front windows starting from ur shoulder height..my father can easily rest his arm on the door .unlike santro or wagonr.for negatives i dont feel it performs as well as my 1984 maruthi..will post more in a detailed better manner

Most Viewed