Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2020, 10:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Terrano removed from website

Nissan has removed the Terrano SUV from its website.

Nissan Terrano removed from website-nissanterrano06.jpg

The Nissan Terrano was launched in 2013 and shared its platform with the Renault Duster. It was powered by a 1.6-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine which produced 103 BHP @ 5,750 rpm and 148 Nm of torque @ 3,750 rpm as well as a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel that came in two states of tune - 84 BHP / 200 Nm and 109 BHP / 245 Nm. Transmission options included a 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual and a 6-speed automatic.

While Renault upgraded the Duster to meet BS6 emission norms, Nissan did not do the same for the Terrano. For now, the Kicks will be the only SUV in Nissan's line up. It will be offered with a new 1.3-litre, turbocharged petrol engine producing 154 BHP and 254 Nm of torque that will be paired with a continuously variable transmission (CVT).

Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 11:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nissan Terrano removed from website

So Duster gets preference over Terrano.
Kicks gets preference over Captur (No 1.3 turbo petrol rumours yet!)?

If so, that is a good consolidation strategy. Duster is anyway well established (though old) and Kicks has much more conventional appeal over the Captur.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th May 2020 at 11:10.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 11:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

This was expected. The car didn't really set the charts on fire when it launched with most buyers clearly preferring Duster over this. Honestly speaking this model of partnership hasn't worked out for any carmaker till now apart from VW and Skoda to some extent. And now Toyota has managed to find few buyers for the Glanza.

I pity Nissan dealers and really wonder how they are able to stay open. No new launches in the pipeline, no vision whatsoever.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 12:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Nissan has removed the Terrano SUV from its website.
Who manages their website? Terrano is still there in "Our Range" section!

Nissan Terrano removed from website-terrano.png

Link leads to a "Coming Soon" page for the Kicks!
GeneralJazz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 12:52   #5
BHPian

Since the beginning, people preferred Duster over Terrano. While both looked similar, I feel that Duster has that uber-cool feel to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Who manages their website? Terrano is still there in "Our Range" section!
Looks like the work from home effect on the content developer .
vijayshouree is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 13:02   #6
BHPian

Back in the days when these SUV's were popular. Duster was always the first choice, it was a very popular name that everyone wanted. Just like the way cars like Honda City, Creta, Seltos, Fortuner - Duster enjoyed the fame. I always felt Duster was the better looker, it was just more robust and screamed off-road.

Terrano was a handsome car, shared nearly most of the parts. Today the Duster doesn't look fresh, it feels dated as the facelifts are not impressive. I say the pre-facelifted models look much better in comparison.

My favorite Duster was the Adventure with those smoky dark five spoke twist alloys. Duster is not a premium car as to what people refer to. It's one of the cheapest cars internationally for affordable off roading. I believe that the return on Duster in a new generation will help Renault India.

The only formula to impress the Indian crowd is by sticking a sunroof.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Terrano removed from website-images-20200504t125720.118.jpeg  

Last edited by momsonlydriver : 4th May 2020 at 13:04.
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 08:52   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice catch, Chirag . The Terrano had 4-months of zero factory dispatches, so I guess its demise was imminent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
clearly preferring Duster over this
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayshouree View Post
Since the beginning, people preferred Duster over Terrano.
The main problem with the Terrano was that it was launched at a higher price than the already-expensive Duster! Clearly, the Renault team didn't want Nissan stealing their thunder. IMO, the Terrano was the better looking sibling, but then, looks are subjective; price isn't.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 10:35   #8
BHPian

Guys, Terrano went out of production much before the Kicks launch. The last batch was in mid-2018 if i remember correctly. Nissan was just liquidating the huge stock that it had inside the plant. Once the Kicks was announced, the dispatches slowed down even more and thus they took a lot of time to liquidate the entire stock.
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 11:14   #9
BHPian

It did not make sense for them to sell both Terrano and Kicks. The Kicks is their target for improving their sales figures.

Side by side, the Terrano will grab more eyeballs than the Kicks and can easily convert a potential Kicks customer to a Terrano customer.

I have driven the Terrano and the Duster on highways. The 110 BHP Terrano seemed far more powerful than its Duster equivalent. The Terrano is an absolute monster on open roads and can match and beat any car without breaking a sweat .

I know it is the same engine. Maybe it is tuned better or is it the Turbo magic?

Goodbye to a car that people will hardly miss!. Only those who experienced it will know its true colours.

Anyway all the best to Nissan!.

Last edited by Nalin1 : 5th May 2020 at 11:43.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 11:54   #10
BHPian

I was contemplating on the Terrano for my parents - mostly would not have been self-driven and the primary task would have been to ferry people and materials around.

I certainly liked the Terrano better than the duster - but had yet to do a test drive on either of them. Was planning to first go through the Team-BHP reviews + long term ownership reviews here before doing any test drives.

I guess a model that MIGHT work better for Nissan would be to totally ditch the numbers game and go in for the Infinity series. Expand on that - they would be fine with lesser number of service centers; will bring in more profits per car sold (even in lower numbers); they can train their staff in excellent customer care - I think this would be lot more meaningful for Nissan (in India).

I did have a Q30 in the US. That was nice car with a very decent Bose sound system.
Old 5th May 2020, 12:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So Duster gets preference over Terrano.
Kicks gets preference over Captur (No 1.3 turbo petrol rumours yet!)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Guys, Terrano went out of production much before the Kicks launch. The last batch was in mid-2018 if i remember correctly. Nissan was just liquidating the huge stock that it had inside the plant. Once the Kicks was announced, the dispatches slowed down even more and thus they took a lot of time to liquidate the entire stock.
Also - Nissan had made it clear long ago that the Terrano would be the last cross-badged Renault car in India for foreseeable future. With the Duster getting a face-lift (if it is a "lift" by any means i.e.) & the Terrano being a market dud, it was quite obvious that doing another cosmetic surgery with potential of botched up job wouldn't be a worthwhile exercise. Any better looking Terrano - would only have worked against the Kicks on some aspects.
I don't think the Kicks is getting a preference per say over the Captur. The Captur committed seppuku successfully on its own long ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The main problem with the Terrano was that it was launched at a higher price than the already-expensive Duster! Clearly, the Renault team didn't want Nissan stealing their thunder. IMO, the Terrano was the better looking sibling, but then, looks are subjective; price isn't.
Absolutely! The Terrano always looked better to me too! Something more "complete" about its design. Could never pin point what it was. Had the Terrano got the AWD, it would probably have beaten the Duster on sales in that trim! Even the name is better suited for AWD compared to what school children call the device used to wipe blackboards.

As for the pricing I believe that was one of the keystones of this rebadging agreement anyway. Micra/Sunny to be cheaper than Pulse/Scala because its a Nissan platform. Duster to be cheaper than Terrano since it is a Renault platform (well, Renault per say!). Nissan knew they'd have to price it higher.

Last edited by Reinhard : 5th May 2020 at 12:53.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 14:36   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
True. That is why I say this strategy is flawed. The customer is easily able to see through the cosmetic change and then decides to buy the same car for less money. It was similar for Sunny vs Scala. Only Skoda and VW have managed to sell the Rapid and Vento and there too, the Vento outsold the Rapid by quite some margin.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 19:29   #13
BHPian

This one is my absolute favourite among the Duster/Terrano siblings. Whenever I have spotted one on the road, always used to turn around and appreciate the looks. Had it been launch earlier before Duster even though with the premium prices, no one would have asked for Duster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Only Skoda and VW have managed to sell the Rapid and Vento and there too, the Vento outsold the Rapid by quite some margin.
What I have observed is Rapid consistently outselling Vento in the last 2-3 years. Thanks to the decent facelift, improved service support and Rapid Rider variant which did wonders for this car. Even when City and Ciaz used to go down with Sales 30-40% MoM, Rapid particularly keep bringing in the nos for Skoda, and kept the sales almost stable even though the market was unfavourable. However, this was not the case with Vento.
Highh5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 20:10   #14
BANNED

Both Duster and Terrano looked much bigger than they actually are. But Kicks - though a modern design - was looking very small and like a hatch back because of the slanting rear glass area design. And size does matter for us Indians.
Nissan Terrano removed from website-nissan_kicks.jpgNissan Terrano removed from website-renaultdusterside0464847.jpg

An up-right rear glass design may help Kicks, I guess.

Nissan Terrano removed from website-nissan_kicks_1.jpg
Nissan Terrano removed from website-nissan_kicks_2.jpg

Last edited by romeomidhun : 5th May 2020 at 20:23.
romeomidhun is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 13:34   #15
BHPian

In simple terms, life support was removed for a patient in coma
WhiteKnight is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks