Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2020, 21:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car dealerships & factories are slowly opening in India

Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai are raking in numbers since reopening dealerships.

Hyundai Motor India shared that in just two days since it reopened 255 Hyundai dealerships across the country, the automaker said it has also sold 170 Hyundai cars in the same period.

Maruti Suzuki has reopened a total of 682 showrooms in India. And since then, it has delivered 315 cars as well.

Quote:
it is clear to see that there is pent-up demand in the market. And we believe that companies with entry-level (read: affordable) offerings are likely to benefit the most as India goes back to work, but in their own vehicles.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 22:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

I wish car service centers could provide service with following criteria for no complaints/issues customer, just routine service of oil+filter change that too because of warranty obligation (like Honda City 6 months service):

1. Customer doesn't need to step out of the car. No need to do anything from inside, can be washed from outside (customer will drive the car to washing area).

2. Customer can sit in the car with AC "ON" (except at the time of oil+filter change obviously. )

3. Pay the bill after scanning the UPI barcode with windows rolled up, ask SA to keep the invoice in boot.

4. Do all this in 60-90 minutes.

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 8th May 2020 at 22:11.
mukeshgoel is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 23:39   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
One of my friends took delivery of his Tata Nexon day on Tuesday. However, the delivery process was way below average without the delivery personnel. Only a few sales representatives were present. A whole host of pending items there on that car.

Saw a few Hyundai and Kia cars with ribbons on the road today, so the dealerships are limping back to some kind of work.
A point to note is that these new cars would be from the pending lot to be delivered. The new booking from the circle I know is next to nil. So the delivery backlog is cleared. New car bookings is as good as anyone's guess - "Very Low"
nkrishnap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 11:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I have seen a brand new Hyundai Venue, a few Tata Nexons and at least three Nexon EVs in the past few days roaming around the streets of Hyderabad. So Tata and Hyundai dealers are definitely delivering new vehicles.

I hope the service centers are also operational soon. My car is due for the third service, in terms of KMs covered. I wouldn't want to cross the limit, as it involves the FIRST oil change, but I definitely have to cover some considerable distance in the next few days.
TASS is open and functional in Chandigarh & Panchkula. Infact I am typing this while sitting in TASS Panchkula getting my Hexa serviced right now. One has to get an appointment and a specific day and time will be given for you to bring in the car. Pick/Drop service is not available due to low manpower.
amritpal2489 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 18:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I wish car service centers could provide service with following criteria

If dealership strictly follow this, the bill amount will not exceed one tenth of what they charge with current process. Most of the dealership will have to close down.

Today, in the name of value added service they are looting customers. The only way they can loot is, by keeping the customer away from the car while these value added service is being carried out.

If customers stay near the car and see the so called value added services, then I am damn sure not even one customer agrees to pay the current rates they charge.

Last edited by gkveda : 9th May 2020 at 18:32.
gkveda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 10:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Service centers will make a little money by adding cleaning and disinfectant schemes. I just hope that profits for these go to helping employees through any crisis.
Old 10th May 2020, 12:25   #22
BANNED

Car dealerships and service centres are opening and it will take little time to get back to speed.
I believe people will prefer to travel in their private vehicles more than what they did before covid 19, to feel safe.

May be second hand market will be prefered more.
Also small cars sales will increase than bigger cars
Old 10th May 2020, 13:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I wish car service centers could provide service with following criteria for no complaints/issues customer, just routine service of oil+filter change that too because of warranty obligation (like Honda City 6 months service):

1. Customer doesn't need to step out of the car. No need to do anything from inside, can be washed from outside (customer will drive the car to washing area).

2. Customer can sit in the car with AC "ON" (except at the time of oil+filter change obviously. )

3. Pay the bill after scanning the UPI barcode with windows rolled up, ask SA to keep the invoice in boot.

In the US there are thousands of places like this led by a major chain Jiffy Lube and many other competitors. You simply pull in, there are many lanes open and they direct you to the best one. Within 5 minutes, yes in max 5 to 10 minutes, they finish your oil change. They have underground rooms and you place the vehicle on the top of the opening. While you wait in queue, they have already prepared your paperwork and the mechanics below have already arranged your oil filter. They have huge oil tanks with hoses hanging from the ceiling for each type of oil. The moment you pull in, the people below start draining the oil while a person on the top changes the oil and air filters. In a couple of minutes they start filling the oil and you are all set. The only thing was that they didn’t have the contactless part but they might have started it by now. It is also super cheap with an oil change costing just $10 with coupons to $20 regular price. They do try to upsell by offering tuneups etc. but that is optional.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 13:29   #24
BHPian

Just in by Hero motocorp,1000 dealers have started operation and around 10,000 two wheelers have been sold after lock down restrictions ended.
Old 10th May 2020, 14:24   #25
BHPian

I just got a message from my service center Joshi Hyundai, Mohali that they're opening service from tomorrow. It seems as if though you will have to make a booking first. That place gives good service and is usually filled to the brim any given day.
Old 11th May 2020, 15:41   #26

Our factory (I work for a major tier-1 auto component supplier belonging to TVS group) started operations on 6th of May20. We have approval to run the facility with 50% of the strength, two shifts basis (we used to work three shifts).

We are slowly limping back to normalcy with all the safety protocols and practices. our tier-2 suppliers are also going through a nightmarish time as they are more dependent on migrant labor.

We were hoping for a revival of market from April20 and now this pandemic! The tragedy is slowly unfolding only now. Life as we know it is not going to be there. Auto industry which is a major employer of people of all skill levels is going through very rough patch.
Allterrain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 08:25   #27
BANNED

Maruti Suzuki delivers 1,600 cars, Hyundai retails 608 in past week

The company had contacted 150,000 prospective buyers during the lockdown and one of the worries they had was about the safety aspects of visiting showrooms and test driving vehicles, Srivastava said.

Car dealerships & factories are slowly opening in India-maruti.jpg
Quote:
New Delhi | Mumbai: Since automobile dealerships reopened after 40 days on May 4, market leader Maruti Suzuki has delivered more than 1,600 cars and rival Hyundai Motor has retailed 608 vehicles.

These were vehicles mostly booked before the lockdown was announced, anticipating deliveries on the auspicious days during Navratra, Akshaya Tritiya and Gudi Padwa. The orders could not be completed as the country went into a lockdown on March 25.

Maruti Suzuki executive director (marketing and sales) Shashank Srivastava said almost all its deliveries since resumption of operations were contactless — there were no or limited physical contacts between dealership executives and the buyer.

He said the company had addressed these issues. “We have specified stringent operating guidelines for our dealers,” Srivastava said, adding that only those who had complied with these were allowed to reopen.

Usually, there are 28 touchpoints between enquiry and delivery of a vehicles, and the company has digitalised 17-21 of these to minimise physical contact, he said.

Automakers across the board have defined safety protocols to ensure social distancing and safeguard the health of the staff as well as buyers in showrooms. Taking appointments for dealership visits and test drives, for instance, could become a new norm as part of these steps, at least as long as the coronavirus scare continues.

At Tata Motors, dealer staff will provide precise timings for meetings and make appointments only after verifying all requirements. “The dealership staff has also been asked to put up a document drop box for insurance and registration documents at the dealership, or receive them via mail to eliminate the possibility of any physical contact,” said a spokesperson.
Source

Last edited by wheelguy : 12th May 2020 at 08:27.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 14:57   #28
BHPian

My dad checked with local Hyundai showroom as our Creta's A/C is not working since lockdown (we strongly suspect rat bitings as we had seen rat dropping on engine cover) and they confirmed that they will be opening in 3-4 days. They are currently "Cleaning" the showroom (I think they meant to say "Sanitizing" their showroom and workshop?). Our town falls under Orange zone and will turn to Green zone in a week (hopefully if we do not see any new +ve cases).

No word on the Mahindra showroom in my hometown as of now (as my TUV is dead and not starting), few days back they said they are trying to get permission from "Collectors Office" but it got denied. So I am not sure how Hyundai showroom got permission and M&M's got declined? Need to check again.
Old 13th May 2020, 14:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors resumes production at Pantnagar & Sanand plants

Tata Motors has resumed production of commercial and passenger vehicles at its Pantnagar and Sanand plants. Production at the company's Lucknow, Dharwad and Jamshedpur plants is expected to commence over the next few days.

Car dealerships & factories are slowly opening in India-tata-motors-plant.jpg

Production at Tata Motors' Pune plant will also resume over the next few days. However, only ambulance vehicles will be built here for the time being.

According to the company, 'Restart' teams have been setup at each location. Employees have been trained to maintain social distancing at workplaces, shop floors and canteen facilities.

Sanitisation measures are being implemented and only limited staff will report to work in personal vehicles or company transport.

Employees re-joining work are required to download and use the ‘Aarogya Setu’ app. Employees are also required to periodically declare the status of their own, as well as their family’s health on Tata Motors' health track portal.

All employees and visitors entering and exiting the factories are being screened for temperature checks.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 15:48   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I don’t get it. The auto sector is sitting on massive stockpiles of unsold inventories. Car dealerships have seemingly reopened but there there is hardly any sale. There is simply no demand. And demand is not likely to pick up in the immediate future. So why are car companies with their huge staff costs so eager to restart? Kia is an exception but the rest, what do they want to make? I guess it is more of a symbolic gesture to investors and the stock market. No company in the world can run on 33% capacity or 33% workforce and be profitable. If anything, the low staff count can result in potential misses or niggling issues in the vehicles being churned out at this time. As a buyer, I’ll be wary.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks