Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2020, 13:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Car dealerships & factories are slowly opening in India

Car dealerships and factories across India are slowly reopening as the government has relaxed lockdown measures imposed after the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Car dealerships & factories are slowly opening in India-carsalesmarutishowroombloomberg759.jpg

At least 600 Maruti Suzuki dealerships across India are now open for business. The carmaker is said to have registered around 550 bookings through its dealer network and online platform. Maruti also delivered around 50 cars that were due to be delivered in March 2020.

150 Hyundai showrooms are now operational. Close 200 workshops are also back online. Honda dealerships have also started re-opening. The showrooms and workshops are expected to open sequentially during the month.

Moreover, manufacturing activities are also slowing picking pace. Hero MotoCorp has resumed production. Toyota and Hyundai factories are also back online, while Maruti Suzuki will open its Manesar plant on May 12, 2020.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 7th May 2020 at 13:16.
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 15:47   #2
BHPian

Re: Car dealerships & factories are slowly opening in India

I got my MS Baleno serviced yesterday. Though they did fumigate my car before opening a Job Card, but I saw it was done in a manual way through spray bottle and a wipe cloth. I was expecting better besides vacuum cleaning.
Another thing they charged me for fumigation, is it normal. I asked them to share the circular with me where Maruti mentioned that, but they said it's part of their SOP and everyone is doing the same. No document or circular was provided.
Highh5 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 16:28   #3
BHPian

I happened to visit a MS dealer today morning, on the look out for a second car. I was expecting a fall in prices or at least some good discounts on base models like New Alto. It turned out to be the other way. I think the prices have gone up from Jan-Feb levels (may be owing to the BS VI impact) and discount offers were just 15K on Alto series.

What I liked are the precautions the dealership has taken in the backdrop of the pandemic. There was a temperature check at the entrance and the lobby seats were marked clearly where one could occupy, ensuring social distancing. The staff were also wearing gloves.

The sales rep did try the line that the lock down may be back soon, in an attempt to rush me through closure.

I did try calling up another popular dealer to compare offers, but the IVR did not go through. I didn't receive a call back either for a sales query registered on their website. I tend to believe that their showroom may not be operational yet.
McTurbo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 19:09   #4
BHPian

Got my Ford Freestyle 20k service done yesterday.

I was already in touch with my SA. He promised me to book my appointment as soon as the service centre receives approval from higher authority.

I was given the appointment for yesterday. It was a quite straightforward process as it has been. He told me that it would take a little longer time than usual reason being he needs to perform all the necessary formalities which Ford India has mentioned.

I was not charged any extra cost.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 7th May 2020 at 19:38. Reason: Please do not use short forms. Thanks.
Viraj.515 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 20:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

I already started getting those "service due" calls from Maruti. Not sure if people are avoiding visit and they are trying their best to bring customers.

My car is due for service by month-end so I guess i will wait for few weeks more. Lockdown has resulted in extremely low usage in last 2 months for me.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 21:39   #6
BHPian

A lot of new and pending deliveries have taken place in the last couple of days here in Guwahati after lockdown restrictions were eased a little. They are also accepting new bookings. BS4 stock is close to NIL among almost all the brands.

There is one interesting thing that I've noticed after the lockdown has been eased. There has been a slight increase in the number of advertisements for car sales on platforms like Olx, Cardekho etc. Maybe few more unorganised car dealerships have started to upload their stock details as well. Will need to check for the statistics after a week or so, if people are going for more used cars in the wake of hesitation in using public transport.
TD_GHY is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 09:41   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

With public transportation being the way that it is right now, I hope dealers are also arranging the same for employees brave enough to resume work.

Sharing pics from BMW. They should make this protective eyewear mandatory for dealership personnel too. Remember, the virus can be transmitted through the eyes:
Car dealerships & factories are slowly opening in India-bmw-plant-chennai-4.jpg

Car dealerships & factories are slowly opening in India-bmw-plant-chennai-24.jpg
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 11:42   #8
MSC
BHPian

I had booked a Hyundai Venue in February 2020 and because of lockdown all delivery schedules have gone for a toss.
Since I belong to health fraternity, I needed the car urgently, as in absence of own car and lack of public transport, I had no option but to ride on bike. And here also rains played spoilsport and twice i got drenched in rain and in the process I ruined my two phones.
I knew I had literally zero chance of delivery but still called my SA. He told all previous booking have been cancelled by Hyundai from Chennai and they would be rebooking the car again.
I seriously doubt this version as it is highly unlikely that a car manufacturer will cancel booking made almost three months back.
Does any one has any idea about the same? Has anyone who had booked Hyundai earlier and was waiting for delivery, got same version from their respective dealer?
I have shot a mail explaining the details to Hyundai, but yet to receive any response. Is anyone in same boat like me?

Last edited by MSC : 8th May 2020 at 11:43.
Old 8th May 2020, 13:24   #9
BHPian

Lot of people going ahead and getting their bookings cancelled.

https://www.motorbeam.com/car-bookin...big-purchases/
hareshjethwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 20:42   #10
BHPian

I was reading few comments and I tend to agree, 2 wheeler sales are more likely to increase instead of cars. Cheap option and ensures social distancing
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 20:58   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Another thing they charged me for fumigation, is it normal. I asked them to share the circular with me where Maruti mentioned that, but they said it's part of their SOP and everyone is doing the same. No document or circular was provided.
Looks new way, I got my Toyota serviced yesterday and they have charges - Others - car sanitizer Rs 278 and Bactakleen Rs 954

Here in Chandigarh, many Dealerships are open and are taking service appointments mostly by appointments only. New sales for certain premium brands like BMW have begun but Toyota sales was closed. Maybe they are waiting for SOP from manufacturers. Though some new cars were being delivered. Must be from March sales.

Last edited by manson : 22nd May 2020 at 22:01. Reason: Typo.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 21:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
I knew I had literally zero chance of delivery but still called my SA. He told all previous booking have been cancelled by Hyundai from Chennai and they would be rebooking the car again.
I seriously doubt this version as it is highly unlikely that a car manufacturer will cancel booking made almost three months back...
I have shot a mail explaining the details to Hyundai, but yet to receive any response. Is anyone in same boat like me?
Damn. That is disappointing to hear.

Did you try contacting Hyundai on twitter? A professional in the health sector being given the run around to get a car will catch much more attention now than ever.
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 21:10   #13
MSC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Damn. That is disappointing to hear.

Did you try contacting Hyundai on twitter? A professional in the health sector being given the run around to get a car will catch much more attention now than ever.
I didn't contacted in twitter. I went the old way of writing email to crsales@hmil.net.
I have got the usual automated response of being contacted in three days by dealer.
That's again useless as again dealer will start his story of bookings being cancelled from Hyundai end.
I don't have any hopes and if nothing works ,I will have to go the social media way.
Old 8th May 2020, 21:24   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

One of my friends took delivery of his Tata Nexon day on Tuesday. However, the delivery process was way below average without the delivery personnel. Only a few sales representatives were present. A whole host of pending items there on that car.

Saw a few Hyundai and Kia cars with ribbons on the road today, so the dealerships are limping back to some kind of work.
nkrishnap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 21:34   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen a brand new Hyundai Venue, a few Tata Nexons and at least three Nexon EVs in the past few days roaming around the streets of Hyderabad. So Tata and Hyundai dealers are definitely delivering new vehicles.

I hope the service centers are also operational soon. My car is due for the third service, in terms of KMs covered. I wouldn't want to cross the limit, as it involves the FIRST oil change, but I definitely have to cover some considerable distance in the next few days.

Last edited by ashis89 : 8th May 2020 at 21:38.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed