Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2007, 12:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Authorised Service centers raided: All found overcharging customers

How many of you read the news report in today's Indian Express about some 70 odd authorised service centers across Maharashtra that were raided by government authorities and all of them were found charging customers way over MRP for spares? I can't seem to find the link in the online edition of the newspaper but the report said a Hyundai service center in Kurla (which one?) and a Honda scooters dealer in Chembur (don't know if taking names is allowed here) were among the ones raided in Mumbai and were found grossly overcharging customers. While all this is good, the point is how many of us know what the MRP for spares is? And how do we as car owners find out the MRP for spares. At all the dealerships, parts are installed in our cars during service and we pay the bill at the cash counter. None of us get to see the packaging to read the MRP. How does one go about this?
Old 13th March 2007, 12:31   #2
Awaiting Email Confirmation

confirm by going through their list price,they usually have a sheet.
Old 13th March 2007, 12:42   #3
BHPian

usually see the price list. They never show mrp on the box or on packaging. When your car is done, you never know which dustbin does the packaging is in.
Old 13th March 2007, 12:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Another important thing is we would never know if they put the spare in the first place. I gave my brothers bajaj for service & when i picked it up, they billed for bardahl (a mix in engine oil). how do we know that it was mixed ?

another thing is payment through credit/debit cards. If the service centre or any shop says there is a 2.5% service charge, that is also illegal. where is that money going to ?? when the bill amount is Rs.10k, 2.5% of that is 250 Rs. which is totally unaccounted.
Old 13th March 2007, 12:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

they will all get away, by saying that the price charged includes Handling charges of 15%+
Old 13th March 2007, 12:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

MRP is inclusive of all charges & taxes. Nothing more can be added to it.

There are a few garment stores here who officially charge 1% Resale Tax over MRP. When i asked why i should pay, they conveniently gave me 1% discount.

There is no harm in insisting to see the boxes or packs that the spare came in. better to inform the service chaps in advance about your condition.
Old 13th March 2007, 13:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
confirm by going through their list price,they usually have a sheet.
Thats interesting. Like it's said, knowledge is power. Didn't know ASC's usually have price sheets that are open to inspection by customers. Still there has to be a simpler and more transparent way for a customer to find out MRP. Why should we have to ask for sheets to be shown to us? And I am sure not many owners even know about the existance of these MRP lists. MRP lists should be openly displayed in the reception area for customers to cross check with their invoices. I wonder what the law says with regard to display of MRP's at ASC's.

@esteem lover: I agree with you. Most of the times, we trust that the dealer has done or installed parts that he claims to have.

Recently, Fiat dealers are claiming that the company has advised them to put Motoreco engine and gear box treatment. Had Anuroop do that during my service in September. They charged Rs. 550 for engine treatment and Rs. 115 for gearbox treatment. Labour for the same was free though. Fellow Fiat owners, have your dealers done a similar thing?
Old 13th March 2007, 13:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
another thing is payment through credit/debit cards. If the service centre or any shop says there is a 2.5% service charge, that is also illegal. where is that money going to ??
2.5% is charged by service provider ( CC machine ).
Old 13th March 2007, 13:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Maruti for sure displays the price list of the common spares in the customer lounge.
Old 13th March 2007, 13:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
usually see the price list. They never show mrp on the box or on packaging. When your car is done, you never know which dustbin does the packaging is in.
Usually in my dustbin at home because I insist on the packaging and the failed / replaced part whenever anything is replaced
Old 13th March 2007, 13:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
2.5% is charged by service provider ( CC machine ).
What service charge is that & for what service ? who provided which service that i need to pay for ? i dont recall seeing anything to that effect when i signed on the dotted line for the CC. No one would buy a CC if this was the case. you are charging 2.5% interest on the day you make a purchase. What about a debit card ? should that also be treated the same ?
Old 13th March 2007, 13:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Is there any check on cost of labour at authorized service centers? At Anuroop Hyderabad, cost of labour sometimes is same as the price of the spare part being replaced.

Amit, at Anuroop Hyderabad, i was never suggested for Motereco treatment. Is it only for Petrol cars?
Old 13th March 2007, 13:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
What service charge is that & for what service ? who provided which service that i need to pay for ? i dont recall seeing anything to that effect when i signed on the dotted line for the CC. No one would buy a CC if this was the case. you are charging 2.5% interest on the day you make a purchase. What about a debit card ? should that also be treated the same ?
Actually I never pay 2.5% for servicing my car ( nor do they ask ) but yes this is charged from you when you buy electronic goods. This is the amount ( usually 2% ) that the merchant is charged by CC ( machine ) which in turn is charged from customer.

Last edited by navdeep : 13th March 2007 at 13:35.
Old 13th March 2007, 13:40   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

These guys have guts to cheat customers; one of the reasons behind choosing an authorised service station is TRUST. This shows that some of them are not better than unauthorised outlets. What about the manufacturers? Even they should be brought to task for not maintaining effective controls.

Quote:
I can't seem to find the link in the online edition of the newspaper but the report said a Hyundai service center in Kurla (which one?) and a Honda scooters dealer in Chembur (don't know if taking names is allowed here)
Of course, the name is allowed here. Thats one of the reasons for Team-BHPs existence. Come on out and list all the fraudelent dealerships!
Old 13th March 2007, 13:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Is there any check on cost of labour at authorized service centers? At Anuroop Hyderabad, cost of labour sometimes is same as the price of the spare part being replaced.

Amit, at Anuroop Hyderabad, i was never suggested for Motereco treatment. Is it only for Petrol cars?
sometimes it is more also. I had to replace aa AC vent in my esteem which costs about Rs.400 for which i was charged Rs.650/- as service charges because it involves removing the dash & fitting it back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks