Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you were planning to buy a car before the pandemic hit, are you:
Going ahead with the original plan 64 10.03%
Changing your choice to a cheaper model 12 1.88%
Going for a used car instead 43 6.74%
Postponing your decision 365 57.21%
Cancelled the plan to buy a car altogether 127 19.91%
Other (please specify in your post) 27 4.23%
Voters: 638. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2020, 13:04   #76
BHPian

Re: Has the current situation changed your car buying plans of 2020-21?

I wanted to replace my 3 years old TUV 300 AMT which clocked 56,000 kms with a pre-worshipped Jeep Compass 2.0 Diesel Limited Plus variant which is showing on OLX for 16,75,000/- (before any bargaining), which I plan to buy for 15 lakhs with the help of my fathers bargaining skills. I was expecting 6.5-7.0 lakhs for TUV and rest planned for EMI.

The reason for thinking to replace my TUV AMT was due to constant AMT issues, almost all parts of AMT were replaced under warranty in last 3 years. Still facing AMT issues (yet to be confirmed by MASS due to lockdown) AMT light is on and car wont crank, as per MASS technician it is due to rat biting, but not 100% sure until they examine it in their workshop.

I recently received massive 1.20 lakhs pay cut for this year, zero bonus for all employees this year and no promotions or hikes. This made a hole of 3,50,000/- in my pocket for this year.

So shelved the plan to replace my TUV for now, I will wait till Dec'20 end and then decide based on offers and market conditions to proceed or not. Until then I am happy with the 2 years extended warranty left on my vehicle.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 13:05   #77
BHPian

I have been using my 10 year old i20. My plan was to upgrade to a C-SUV and test drove few cars just before the lockdown. I think I will go ahead with my original plan instead of spending some money on my old car.
Just waiting for some mouth watering deals post lockdown
midazolam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 13:10   #78
BHPian

I have 10 yr old Fiat Linea with a 1.2 Lac Km running. I have waiting to replace the ageing car since last year, but had waited for the BS6 cars to come out. I had been eyeing the new Creta since Jan'20 and was going to take a test drive before booking the car. Unfortunately even before the test drive vehicles were made available, the lock down was announced.

Now that I am working from home and would be doing so for the next few months, I have a negligible use of the car. Hence planning to postpone the purchase till things start opening up and movement is not so restricted.
Old 11th May 2020, 13:15   #79
BANNED

Voted for original plan as I sold my Duster and don't have any other car. I've been using partner car to visit sites which are 100 kms away from the city. Can't postpone that for a longer time. Mostly by June mid I do need a car for personal and professional use.

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th May 2020 at 14:27. Reason: Grammar. Please proof read your posts.
palo is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th May 2020, 13:20   #80
Senior - BHPian

Postponing my decision to buy a new car. I have 3 cars with varying mileage and have no maintenance issues. Also, with travel itself being restricted, would not be able to enjoy a new car.

Its also because new car launches might get postponed. Hopefully the situation will be conducive with good cars and interest rates when this uncertainty is over.
Old 11th May 2020, 13:24   #81

Was planning to get a 2nd car for wife and kids to get to school. Am going ahead. I was never planning for a 2nd hand car, as those do come with its own issues. The new car was also as a present for my best half. Since it's a low-end car and since I don't intend to change the model or make, I am going ahead.
Hope it's turns out to be a good decision.
Old 11th May 2020, 13:28   #82
BHPian

Though my vote goes to postponed purchase, if someone is 'cash comfortable', this might be right to get a new one.

I would assume that even newer variants will get negotiated for good discounts considering the fact that cash flow for the entire value chain right from manufacturers to distributors has been stale for more than 50 days now.
Old 11th May 2020, 13:33   #83
BHPian

This probably would be a good time to roll back some of those obscene tax slabs and drop the high interest rates to convince people to buy, replace or upgrade their vehicles.
anand.shankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 13:45   #84

Hi everyone, this is my very first post on this platform. Feeling really honoured
We are still going ahead with our planned purchase, partly because we had already booked the car a couple of days before the lockdown was announced, and because Dad is a government employee, so we are in a relatively secure position than most people right now.
The booking is of Ford Aspire, Titanium+, Petrol, Ruby Red colour, an upgrade from our current steed, the 2015 Wagon R VXI.
This will be the first enthusiastic purchase in our family, breaking away from the tradition of utilitarian cars, like the MS 800 and Wagon R.
Just hoping for the crisis to be over so we can welcome the newest member of family.
rj22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 14:00   #85
BHPian

Was planning on getting a Baleno / Ignis as a replacement to my 15 year old Honda City.

Have delayed it indefinitely.

Quite frankly, the Honda City still runs 100% reliably (gem of a car). The only reason I even considered replacing it was boredom. At a time like this, would rather have cash in hand.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 14:11   #86
BHPian

I was planning to replace my 1st gen Diesel Amaze with just 45000kms on the ODO by end of 2021, with a SUV in the 12-14L range. For which, I had started to save up since mid 2019. And now with the current situation, it looks like the Amaze is going to be with me for a long time to come
And all that saved money for the car, is going to act as my (never existed) emergency fund.
A big lesson learned! Emergency fund is so mandatory.
Old 11th May 2020, 14:16   #87
BHPian

I voted for "Postponing decision", as I am unsure what to do ! The main factor is the job scenario in the coming months / years. The salaries could take a hit. Bonuses could just vanish, given its linkage to company performance. I am even fore seeing job losses in my company, given it's primary market being Europe and the products being discretionary.

I had planned to replace Vento with T-Roc, the former is still doing very well, so there is no urgency. Anyway I do keep my cars for many years; the first one for almost 11 years and Vento completed 8 years few days back!
Old 11th May 2020, 14:22   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
I have been using my 10 year old i20. My plan was to upgrade to a C-SUV and test drove few cars just before the lockdown. I think I will go ahead with my original plan instead of spending some money on my old car.
Just waiting for some mouth watering deals post lockdown
In the same situation , already had plans to replace our 2011 i20 with a C-SUV and we had even checked out Duster, Seltos, Venue and Nexon.

We have been talking to a Tata Dealer for Nexon XZ+(O) and thinking of going ahead once the lockdown is over. I am salaried and don’t see any major changes happening to our lifestyle due to this pandemic.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 14:30   #89
BHPian

I only have a bike in Mumbai, as I've always believed that it makes absolutely no sense to own a car here. Most of my travels, including office commutes, are either taken care of by the bike and other modes like Self-Drives, Ola/Uber or other means of public transport. With so much of convenience, I never really felt the need for a car. My wife relies solely on public transport for office commutes.
The corona situation though will force me to buy a car. Once the lock-down restrictions are lifted, and offices slowly limp back to normal, getting to office will involve taking public transport, which I really don't feel comfortable doing, at least for the time being. So while I could continue using the bike going forward, my wife would need a car for her commute.
So yes, I'm surely buying a car, but will wait for 2-3 months to see how the situation plays out, with the direction that this pandemic takes from here on and how the economy and our workplaces react to it. If all is well, will take the plunge around the festive time.
Old 11th May 2020, 15:09   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost 57% Indian consumers willing to purchase cars in 2020, much above the Global average.

Indians are most bullish about their car purchase after the Chinese. The number is far higher than the global average of 35 per cent.

Has the current situation changed your car buying plans of 2020-21?-75672154.png

Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks