Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you were planning to buy a car before the pandemic hit, are you:
Going ahead with the original plan 64 10.03%
Changing your choice to a cheaper model 12 1.88%
Going for a used car instead 43 6.74%
Postponing your decision 365 57.21%
Cancelled the plan to buy a car altogether 127 19.91%
Other (please specify in your post) 27 4.23%
Voters: 638. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2020, 15:22   #91
BHPian

Re: Has the current situation changed your car buying plans of 2020-21?

Voted for others. Why don't we go month by month ? when the scenario is rapidly changing every month , there is a possibility that things will settle down for good and we might be able to continue with our plans and wishes.
Old 11th May 2020, 15:22   #92

Was planning to replace my Verna Transform (2010) with a new Sedan. Alas, this pandemic struck and all hell broke loose. Now that company is talking of salary cuts, decided to cancel the idea of new car purchase. Sigh!
Allterrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 15:46   #93
Senior - BHPian

Voted for purchasing a used car. Infact I have posted a thread on Tbhp about the same. You can read it - here (Pre-owned D2 segment car versus a new MG Hector / Kia Seltos)

The past few years have been extremely full of learnings for me. I post graduated last year in June 2019 and have been a salaried employee since then. During my Post Graduation, I used to dream about upgrading my Pulsar 180 (March 2013, 40K running) to a Dominar. The Pulsar is as good as new and still performs like on day 1! Have attached a pic of it.

However, I suddenly realized I don't need a new motorcycle now, as I seldom have time to ride one. Whatever 5-10 kms I need to ride per week, the P180 is more than sufficient for it. So cancelled the plan.

Jump to Dec 2019 and I was thinking of going for a MG hector or a Kia Seltos for it to be a companion to our Amaze (2013 model). Again sense prevailed and cancelled it, as I was intending to finance 50% of it through a loan.

Come April 2020 and decided to go for a used D/D2 segment car and saving 8~ odd lakhs instead of splurging a 20 lakh Hector/Seltos. But having deeply analyzed the current pandemic situation I have decided to postpone the buy till atleast late 2021. I realized it's a question of Needs vs Wants! That said, I will be keeping a lookout for the used car deals in the interim period.

Fortunately despite the current situation, my savings have increased. Even then, I feel I need to wait and watch for some time, before making any big ticket purchases.
Attached Thumbnails
Has the current situation changed your car buying plans of 2020-21?-whatsapp-image-20200427-1.47.26-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by vb-saan : 12th May 2020 at 06:20. Reason: small typo
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 15:59   #94
BHPian

We have a 2007 Grand Vitara AT (bought used in 2015) and a 2008 Santro AT (bought new in 2008).
Both have had their suspensions overhauled recently. And there are no issues that cannot be easily repaired. So now we intend to keep both and renew the registration for 5 additional years in 2022 & 2023 respectively.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 16:12   #95
BHPian

I was planning to replace my Jetta manual with an automatic from the luxury segment. But with the current situation, I have decided to postpone the decision by atleast an year. The Jetta still drives like new having done only 41K in 7 years and is in excellent condition. It made no sense to replace it (even before this situation).
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 16:19   #96
BHPian

Voted 'postponing your decision'.
I have a 10 year old Ford Figo TDCi as my daily ride and have been contemplating a change since last year. The heart races every time there is a new launch round the corner but thankfully the brain has been winning so far. The key reason being my usage is really meager, just 3-4 km per day and 50 odd kms on weekends. So the argument has been too simple to dismiss i.e. do you really need to 'invest' 15-20 lacs on car which will mostly remain parked? And with covid-19 situation, I just don't think it is sensible to liquidate my savings and take loan to fulfill something which I could live without. Heck, I could literally walk to work and also got a scooter should it come to that.

Of course, with Figo's age, maintenance costs and those twice a year 1000 km trips I do, the decision to buy has to be taken sooner than later but I am extracting every little drop of value from figo before putting it to rest.
And, I will buy a car
DreamsUnlimited is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 16:46   #97
BHPian

I got a Nexon in late October. If I hadn't got it then, right now I would probably be looking for a second hand car. I am expecting to work from home for the rest of the year. No commute, minimal trips. It doesn't even make sense to own a car for me except that it is safer than Ola/Uber/pretty much any public transport.

With so many people on wait-and-watch mode, tough times for OEMs ahead.
Old 11th May 2020, 16:55   #98
BHPian

I was looking to replace a long time workhorse Swift D. Cancelled the plan. It will continue to serve as second car now and Brio AT for urban mobility will continue. In short, if within 12-18 months there is any sudden uptick in earnings, then will look at replacement.
Old 11th May 2020, 17:03   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Almost 57% Indian consumers willing to purchase cars in 2020, much above the Global average.
A rather large chunk of these Indian consumers are folks who had been postponing their car purchase / replacement for atleast the past 6 - 12 months either awaiting a fire sale on BS4 inventory or newer BS6 models which is was not the case in most other parts of the world.
manson is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 17:14   #100
BHPian

Going by the topic of this post, I don't have a headache to decide as my two rides are 3.5 and 1 year old. I am the one who will keep the car to maximum. 5 years of EMI and rest of the years without EMI. If I had not moved to other city without family, I would not even had bought second car as without me my wife needed a second car for traveling with kids. However, given the scenario, I would have put any non essential purchase on hold even though mine and wife's job is secure (so far). We can never be sure of what we might face in near future. Even planning to review the our personal finance. And now will make every effort to be loan free(except the home loan) by 2022. That's the way to go.
Old 11th May 2020, 17:47   #101

I had my hopes set on buying a car for almost a year now.
Last year, I changed jobs and so moved from Indore to Mumbai. I had a Honda WRV which made more financial sense to leave with my previous employer than purchase from them. 6-8 months passed in a flash in the hectic new role before I felt settled in.

Always had that void in my heart, that need to replace the WRV. Having already waited for this long, with a heavy heart , I decided to wait till the BS6 norms came into effect and see what newer models were on offer and what offers were on these newer models. Lockdown came into effect right before the norms. And now, again, it doesn't make financial sense anymore to splurge on a car.

Instead, I will be looking at getting a new bike (maybe RE Meteor) as soon as the lockdown opens for my day to day commute and to fill that void a little bit until things improve.
Old 11th May 2020, 18:13   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Looks like t-bhpians are deferring from this view.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 18:53   #103
BHPian

Opted for 'Cancelled the Plan all together'

With layoffs and Salary cuts looming large, I plan to save up as much as I can to meet any unforeseen situation. Its been a bad couple of years professionally owing to switch in job profile, I really don't want to take any burden emotionally.

In fact in the last month I lost my TV (Broke and screen shattered), Laptop, AC and Microwave, all stopped working back to back. Except the laptop, If I can't fix them I'm not planning on replacing them at all.

Need to ride out this storm making few sacrifices and compromises hoping for a better day ahead.
Old 11th May 2020, 19:13   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'm probably in the best possible situation in this context.

My car turned 1 yesterday, and it was bought with funds saved up specifically for it and without a loan. So I've now got at least a few years of ownership before I have to worry about anything except fuel and regular/incidental maintenance.

Boy am I glad I resisted the strong momentary urge to buy a bigger car with a short-term loan.
Exactly my thoughts. I bought a Nexon diesel last March end and no cars for 5 years. And I too bought in cash and wife resisted me from going on for Harrier then.
No car EMI and only home loan left which I could have closed aggressively but will hold on for now.
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 19:15   #105
BHPian

Times are really challenging with loads of skepticism so definitely plans delayed. I bought Ameo DSG a year back but was eyeing new Harrier and Compass.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks