Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you were planning to buy a car before the pandemic hit, are you:
Going ahead with the original plan 64 10.03%
Changing your choice to a cheaper model 12 1.88%
Going for a used car instead 43 6.74%
Postponing your decision 365 57.21%
Cancelled the plan to buy a car altogether 127 19.91%
Other (please specify in your post) 27 4.23%
Voters: 638. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2020, 10:34   #121

Re: Has the current situation changed your car buying plans of 2020-21?

I am postponing my purchase due to the uncertain situations due to the pandemic. Was planning to replace my '12 City with a Crysta or pre-worshiped Innova/Fortuner.
Old 12th May 2020, 10:37   #122
BHPian

Cancelled the plans.

I was fortunate in canceling my booking for the Fortuner; just before Covid. I cancelled because they did not launch BS6 with Apple CarPlay. Not buying any automobiles for next two years.
Old 12th May 2020, 11:01   #123
BHPian

I guess I am in a minority here. I was planning to buy a pre-owned car around November December 2019. The plan did not go through because I wasn't able to shortlist a car that I really liked. After the lockdown ends, I am increasing my budget and hopefully there would be some great deals with pre-owned Germans. I think this is the best time to buy with the markets and sentiments at a low level.
adi.mariner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 11:18   #124
Senior - BHPian

We have 4 cars in the house. I was planning to replace 2 pre the CV scenario. I now aim to sell 1 extra car if I can ( Not desperate ) and replace 1 near Diwali if the situation is calm and composed both nation wise and financially.

The repercussions of this event is only going to start to be felt by the Upper Middle class and Above only in a few months time.

We luckily are not really concerned about putting food on the table however once the lockdown lifts where the economy and global economy heads is an entirely unpredictable scenario one that is waiting to be unfolded.

The Housing sector and Automobile sector are the 2 top requirements that everyone has and in this case the car will have to take a backstep.

I have to admit that I have pictured almost every possible scenario of good and bad and in no scenario does my driving increase at all.

I will be very blunt as well - social distancing is here to stay for some time at least and with restaurants and hotel dinners and socializing at a minimal I do not see a reason to replace good cars or buying a fancier one than what I already have. This is a scenario that is going to be played globally.

It now all narrows down to only and only need and necessity.

And the above is not a bad scenario in my opinion.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 11:40   #125
BHPian

Postponed.

The Wagon R is now almost 12 years old, but has run less than 40K.
There are the ongoing niggles that have started to become an irritant (MS ASS hasn't been able to fix them properly) and that was the reason to get a new car.

Put the decision on hold. The new car would be sparingly used in any case. So keeping the old one for now. Will take stock towards the end of the year or maybe even mid of next year depending on how things pan out with the pandemic.
Old 12th May 2020, 12:25   #126
BHPian

Put the decision on hold.

After being an entrepreneur for 6 years. I just got back to a job and moved to Mumbai. Just a month later the scenario changed. Uncertainties are a big part of life now. I wanted a Creta but will hold on to my TSI Polo for a while now.
Old 12th May 2020, 12:50   #127
BHPian

I took a company lease on a new Octavia a year ago. I work for a logistics startup whose customers are seeing more business in these times (people still need food and groceries). So no worries about my job. However, the next round of funding is getting delayed.

Had I known about the impending virus situation, I'd have stuck with my 2010 Honda City.
Old 12th May 2020, 15:28   #128
BHPian

Voted for "postponing your decision". I had zeroed in on a Seltos and had almost finalized by paying a booking amount. Now I want to wait till the end of the year to decide about it. Yes, liquidity is a concern but there's also the fact of reduced interstate and inter-district movement. I see my usage reducing to half of what it used to be before.

However, I'm also keeping an eye out in the used car market. If I can get a sweet deal on a Creta or even an XUV300, I might hazard a buy.
Old 12th May 2020, 15:39   #129
ARG
BHPian

Postponed.

Was looking to replace my 2012 Swift 1.2 ZXI (odo 120k) with a 2020 Figo 1.5 Titanium Blu.

Been reviewing the decision weekly, since!

(The Swift's not my primary car, but is much "luvvved" - could also be a reason for going slow!)

The only "progress" is that I've added the Polo turbopetrol (1.0L 110hp) to the list!
Old 12th May 2020, 16:08   #130
BHPian

Postponed.

Was planning to buy a bigger better highway cruiser. SUV/MUV.
But these are uncertain times. I had the down payment but somehow didn't buy it and now I am glad that I didn't. Why with salary cuts and all, it is better to have liquidity and survive these times.

Just wait- the manufacturers will come raining discounts when this pandemic ends.
Old 12th May 2020, 16:43   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar21 View Post
Postponed.
The Wagon R is now almost 12 years old, but has run less than 40K.
There are the ongoing niggles that have started to become an irritant (MS ASS hasn't been able to fix them properly) and that was the reason to get a new car.
You know what is worse than having niggles in a 12-year old car? Buying a brand new spanking car and still finding niggles in it. It's very rare but still happens. I see so many posts on these pages here about even new cars having niggles. Please don't get me wrong, I am not dissuading you. Your money, your wish. But since, you almost seems to have made up your mind to hang on to it, I'm merely seconding your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Just a month later the scenario changed. Uncertainties are a big part of life now. I wanted a Creta but will hold on to my TSI Polo for a while now.
A word of advice! If your TSI runs well then hang on to it. If you are addicted to that crazy acceleration of TSI, then no other car south of may be a Beemer 3/5 series will satisfy you. That said, I always prefer TC/CVT over DCT. Well, to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
Yes, liquidity is a concern but there's also the fact of reduced interstate and inter-district movement. I see my usage reducing to half of what it used to be before.
This is a very big reason for many shunning to buy a new car now. Even if you buy, you have no where to go to. No malls, movies, no bars, clubs, restaurants, no socializing. Heck, no visit to relatives, friends houses either. Everyone is alarmed by every other person's presence and proximity. Even drive to work has come down for many owing to work from home.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 17:27   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Beyond possibly executing a lateral upgrade, my thoughts are far from buying a car. In fact, I am thinking about selling off my "main" car and subsisting with the beater car till the time when roadtrips and vacationing are not possible (for the next 1 year, thanks to Coronavirus). This way I could save money on outgoing EMIs when roadtrips are anyway not going to happen and I could plan a purchase for the appropriate time when having a car for the highway will make sense.

It's not that I'm committed to any thought, but these are the thoughts in my mind, as things stand. I may very well do nothing and hold on to the cars that I have. Even the lateral upgrade plan that I mentioned earlier holds a mere 5 to 10% probability of happening.
Old 12th May 2020, 17:44   #133
BHPian

I was planning to replace my Vento 1.6TDI due to NCR 10 year rule. It is running perfectly fine and without any issues with 120K on the clock since Mar 2021.

I do not want to replace as there is no issue with car and its in good condition but if NGT rule continue to remain than may not have an option.
However I will postpone my decision as much as I could since situation is very volatile so extra 5-6 months will give lot of clarity in term of Jobs stability, personal fund situation and overall country condition.

Sometime I feel considering current Covid-19 situation NGT should give some relaxation in policy, maybe wishful thinking

Last edited by karansm4u : 12th May 2020 at 17:45.
Old 12th May 2020, 18:22   #134
BHPian

I was looking to replace my 1 lakh km run Brezza latest by June- July this year, with probably another CSUV/ crossover (creta/ seltos/ harrier) but now postponing the decision for at least 6-7 months now.

Personally, being a PS bank employee, I am not facing a financial situation right now, rather I have just got promoted a month back and can afford a new car. For me the cheap credit is a huge advantage with EMIs as low as 7-8k for a 10 lac loan. What also helps is that the Brezza was not financed.

But dad is a businessman and he has taken a little hit with this lockdown coming to effect, instead of buying a new car for myself I would rather help him right now, if needed.

This pandemic has surely changed the way we think.
ShivWason17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 21:10   #135
Senior - BHPian

I'll be holding on to my sparingly used 10 year old Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 E-Pk for couple of years at the least. Covid19 is not entirely the reason for my decision but that helped me to finalize it.

I was contemplating on a sub 2.5 million rupees SUV. TATA Harrier is in my heart since the launch. But then here is my confusion.
  • Future of diesel engines. Electric car - buy or wait for more 'variety'.
  • A pre-owned German/European luxury car?
  • Or safe a bet -- Kia Seltos / Hyundai Creta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks