Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2020, 22:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "oldest" new cars on sale in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I guess the Punto deserves a place here too, since the current Punto is just a styling update over the original Punto.
The Punto is not on sale anymore.
Nithesh_M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 00:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Nice thread. Just realized that the oldest car on sale from Tata Motors is Hexa which was launched in 2017. That's amazing looking at whats on offer from 'premium' brands.
Shouldn't the Hexa be considered as an Aria (which was launched in 2010) having significant changes, instead of an entirely new car? Also Tata Bolt and Zest which were launched in 2014 are still on sale today.

Last edited by PetrolheadRup : 15th May 2020 at 01:08.
PetrolheadRup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 09:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolheadRup View Post
Also Tata Bolt and Zest which were launched in 2014 are still on sale today.
They are not on sale anymore. All cars that were part of Tata's 2014 revamp is now retired. Zest, Bolt and Storme. Tata only sells 5 cars as of now - Tiago, Altroz, Tigor, Nexon, Harrier. Even Hexa's picture is not displayed on their homepage banner. You can see it only in the inner product page.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 15th May 2020 at 10:11.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 11:25   #19
BANNED

I think Mahindra Scorpio also deserves place here in this thread. Though this car has received multiple changes over a decade, the overall design is still the same. But still love this car for it's sheer look and the cruising ability

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th May 2020 at 11:30. Reason: Corrected typo -> cruising
drkuldeep1998 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 11:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Here are two terribly old models from my side. Landcruiser 200. Believe it or not, the only 2-crore car that's been around since almost 15 years and feels so horribly outdated:
Attachment 2005701

The Bolero whose lineage you can trace back to the 30-year old Armada (or even more):
Attachment 2005702
Having seen quite a bit of Automotive Development Processes, as well as Fleet Maintenance Operations, I believe older platforms can be quite a blessing.

From the OEM's standpoint, an old vehicle provides years of Warranty/service history, detailing down all possible issues with the vehicle under varied use-cases. Thus, the next facelift/MMC can iron out these niggles, providing a bullet proof product.

From the Vehicle Operator's stand point, he too has gathered a lot of experience living with the vehicle, and can now easily predict technical failures, and also has an accurate estimate of the vehicle's Life-Cycle cost of operations.

Then there is the fact that the LC sells in much smaller numbers compared to say a Corrolla. Thus, (while the customer may be ready to pay for the novelty factor) the availability of spares across geographies is much easier if the same platform has been on sale for a long duration (ensuring sufficient examples on the road, thus demand for the spares).

A few examples that I am sure many here must have come across, are:
1. The Indian Armed Forces and the Maruti Gypsy: Having operated the vehicle for decades, the easy availability of parts in all MT-Pools makes up for the lack of comfort any-day.
2. Taxi operators preferred the Innova (despite the higher cost) over Mahindras/Tatas because of its popularity all over the nation, ensuring easy serviceability in any remote corner of the country (try getting a Radiator for a Skoda/VW at the roadside mechanic, who'd easily be able to source one for an Innova).
3. The Indica had lost its appeal of Fuel-efficiency after the advent of newer offerings from Maruti/Toyota. Its reliability wasn't noteworthy either. However, urban cabbies loved that vehicle simply because of the road-side mechanic's knowledge of that vehicle.
4. The Land Cruiser is loved by VIPs even in not-so-well of countries, since spares can easily be sourced from anywhere in the world. That would be much harder had the LC been altered for different local markets.
5. The Mahindra Bolero is also very popular in rural markets (very picky when it comes to cars) due to its presence there for so many years.
6. The VW Polo/Vento had whatever few customers they did in the last few months, mostly because the age of the product now ensured easy maintenance in many parts of our country. Re-sale values of these vehicles would have plummeted had a newer version been launched (given VW's track record of nightmarish-part-availability).

I for one, prefer a product that has spent a significant time in the market, over something freshly baked.
We might be betting on a great product, but can only win the bet if everyone else in the market bets on the same. I am sure a few Tata Aria/Hexa owners would agree with me on this.
AdityaRai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 12:12   #21
BHPian

I would also like to include the Skoda Rapid here. The car was launched in India sometime in 2011 and is still on sale albeit a few changes to the engines and exteriors. It is still the same car underneath with almost the same body panels and interiors. I've driven my friend's Rapid1.5 and that is the second best car that I've driven till date. No doubt Skoda is able to still sell these.

The "oldest" new cars on sale in India-skoda_rapid.jpg

The facelifted Rapid

The "oldest" new cars on sale in India-koda_rapid_2017.png

Another car that I would like to add to this discussion is the Chevrolet Cruze. Though not on sale now but it was definitely on sale till chevy left India in 2017. It was launched in 2009 and till date has quite a following. This car was honoured with the name of 'Diesel Rocket' by many who drove one. The car did received some facelift's and updates but it was never updated to a newer generation.

The "oldest" new cars on sale in India-1280px2011_chevrolet_cruze_ls__nhtsa_2.jpg

Thanks.
abhi9044 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 12:14   #22
BHPian

How can one not include Wagon R the oldest of the lot launched in 2003. Even after 17 years it still features in the top selling 5 cars.
Old 15th May 2020, 12:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolheadRup View Post
Shouldn't the Hexa be considered as an Aria (which was launched in 2010) having significant changes, instead of an entirely new car? Also Tata Bolt and Zest which were launched in 2014 are still on sale today.
Bolt and Zest have been discontinued sometime mid last year. They are not listed on Tata Motor's website.

Hexa -- I know its based on Aria but leaving aside underpinnings, nothing was retained. Not even the segment.
Old 15th May 2020, 15:30   #24
BHPian

How about the Jaguar XJ? The fourth generation model (X351) is sold since 2010.
Attached Thumbnails
The "oldest" new cars on sale in India-2011jaguarxjlwhite3.jpg  

virajmore03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 15:49   #25
BHPian

Can't miss my favorite one the Renault Duster was launched in 2012 and created quite a buzz and was ruling the compact SUV segment after two major facelifts -2016 and 2019 it still sells better than newer stable mate launches-the Captur/Terrano/Kicks. The current generation is actually a 2008 design so guess that's really a 12-year-old car not a 8-year-old design in India. Still a very robust and abuse friendly machine. The mechanicals is great if the only Renault could update the interiors package to current times it could still sell better.
Attached Thumbnails
The "oldest" new cars on sale in India-download.jpg  

mh09ad5578 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 16:09   #26
BHPian

I think Maruti Swift also deserves a place here launched back in 2005 and still continues to be in the top selling cars in its segment.
Old 15th May 2020, 16:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Same applies for the Scorpio too, multiple iterations - still one can recognize it right form the day 1 of launch to the one today - it's the same car!

And the award for the oldest shall go to our country's beloved van - the Omni! That's probably older than a large number of BHPians itself!

Indeed, it came before Polo - as mentioned by you, it's a Versa who lost some features and a few bucks in price!
Despite looking the same, the Scorpio has gone through quite a lot of updates. Major ones other than body panels and interiors.
1.Full suspension overhaul and a new engine in 2006
2.New platform in 2014.
Sumanyu17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 16:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aafaq View Post
I think Maruti Swift also deserves a place here launched back in 2005 and still continues to be in the top selling cars in its segment.
I think some of you guys are getting a bit confused.
Oldest cars here are of the same generation, the Swift has had three generations in India.
Same for the WagonR.
Doge is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 17:02   #29
BHPian

I think the audi Q3 deserves a mention too even though it just got discontinued! The "oldest" new cars on sale in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1589542336.397198.jpg
Asmt_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 19:48   #30
BHPian

It is a surprise that no one mentioned these and their various contraptions.
Attached Thumbnails
The "oldest" new cars on sale in India-forcemotorstraxcruisercngbs42812d29500x500.jpg  

Silver Knight is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed