Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2020, 10:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

5-Seat Volkswagen Tiguan to be re-launched in India

According to a media report, Volkswagen is planning to re-introduce the 5-seat version of the Tiguan later this year. However, it could get delayed due to the ongoing Covid-19 outbreak.

5-Seat Volkswagen Tiguan to be re-launched in India-2017vwtiguan01.jpg

Volkswagen is said to launch the facelift version of the Tiguan in the 5-seat configuration. According to leaked images, the updated Tiguan could get an updated front fascia with new twin-pod wraparound headlights and a redesigned grille with chrome inserts. The redesigned front bumper could get larger vents with C-shaped chrome inserts.

The report suggests that the 5-seat Tiguan could be offered with a 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine producing 148 BHP. The engine could be mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. In India, VW might also offer the 48V hybrid variant in place of a diesel.

Earlier this year, VW had launched Tiguan Allspace (7-seater), which replaced the 5-seater Tiguan.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 10:46   #2
BHPian

Re: 5-Seat Volkswagen Tiguan to be re-launched in India

Awesome.
Now I don't need to wait till i save money for the bigger one which is not a mandatory requirement for me (not That I am buying tomorrow)

But now the lineup is just too cluttered. T-Roc, Tiagun, Tiguan, Tiguan Allspace not to mention the Skoda twins Karoq, kamiq & kodiaq & the teased Vision IN
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 10:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Tiguan if priced competitively (although higher in price) seems a much better proposition than the T-Roc; what with the nicer materials, rear seat space in particular and a general sense of airiness

The Tiguan has always been one of the most proportionate SUV designs out there

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 14th May 2020 at 10:59.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 11:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

T-ROC, Taigun, Tiguan, Karoq, Kamiq-I think Maruti Suzuki will be amused. They have lived through this phase with WagonR, Alto, Celerio, A-Star,Estilo, all available concurrently at some point of time, all powered by the K10.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 11:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

My god the names are getting really confusing. T Roc, Tiguan, Tiguan Allspace, Taigun. And then, the cars all look very similar to each other. Power trains are also more of the same. Salesmen will have a hard time differentiating one from another in from of the average non enthusiast Mr and Mrs buyer.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 11:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
The Tiguan if priced competitively (although higher in price) seems a much better proposition than the T-Roc; what with the nicer materials, rear seat space in particular and a general sense of airiness

The Tiguan has always been one of the most proportionate SUV designs out there
Agreed, Tiguan is from a full a segment above T-Roc. However, what we will miss will be the AWD. This is an important element of the value for a VW SUV. I test drove the Tiguan over an off-road course the dealer had set up close to launch, and it performed really well. Also, will the 1.5L TSI engine have the grunt to move a much larger vehicle than the T-Roc?

Another downside is that you will be driving the same engine that is on the higher versions of the Taigun/Kamiq, after paying twice the price. The lower variants of the Taigun/Kamiq are expected to come with the 1.0 TSI and the higher versions with the 1.5 TSI.
Old 14th May 2020, 11:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

What did not sell with a relatively reliable and fuel efficient engine & gearbox combination will definitely not sell with an unreliable and poor fuel efficiency engine & gearbox combination. I am almost certain that the Tiguan is not going to gain any meaningful numbers even in its second innings.

If anything VW should have atleast continued with the new 2 liter TSI engine from the all space on the 5 seater for differentiating the segment between the Tiguan and T-Roc.

Last edited by manson : 14th May 2020 at 11:41.
manson is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 12:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
If anything VW should have atleast continued with the new 2 liter TSI engine from the all space on the 5 seater for differentiating the segment between the Tiguan and T-Roc.
+1

Tiguan was originally launched with a sad engine (140BHP diesel) and now once again it seems to be getting an inferior engine. Tiguan deserves 2L TSI. In fact, they can bring in a top performance variant with the VRS tune and it will be a fun SUV to take to the Himalayas

Last edited by manson : 14th May 2020 at 16:01. Reason: Typo.
anandpadhye is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 15:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

By and large, VW designs are timeless (eg.Polo, Vento). But that couldn't be said about the first iteration (in fact the 2nd gen) of Tiguan which was launched here in India. The car in no time started to look dated especially from the rear. Now VW seems to have realised it and making a much earlier facelift - albeit helped by the arrival of 3rd gen Tiguan globally. Comparably, Polo and Vento for the most part retained the same looks and design though almost a decade old being in our market.

Tiguan, though the 2nd gen was launched in 2015, VW brought it to our shores in only 2017. Considering that it's a premature face lift for Tiguan in VW standards.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 14th May 2020 at 15:06.
Old 14th May 2020, 15:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

I didn't even know the Tiguan existed until a week ago when I was tailing a 320D around town and saw one parked on the side of the road. It looked like a Generic VW car and it didn't even grab my eyeballs for more than a second. I saw the Tiguan badge and moved on.
Old 14th May 2020, 16:19   #11
BHPian

I feel its good VW at least considering expanding their range in India finally. And the wanted to go all SUVs so bringing back the normal Tigaun may be makes sense. I think if its priced correctly and people who find the T-Roc small, it will make sense for them. Tiguan is a well built car but was never somehow successful in India may be because of the price.

I think it'll be price around 10-15% premium over a Koroq as like all VW cars. Since the Karoq will also come with a 1.5L engine, adding a 2.0L engine on Taigun will make it too expensive. The Tiguan all space is already prices too high at 33L, if they bring Tigaun with the same engine even at 28-29, I don't think it'll still justify the premium over a Karoq.
Old 14th May 2020, 17:14   #12
BHPian

It doesn't make much sense. Even if launched at 27-28 ex-showroom, with similar equipment to Karoq, its not going to pull additional sales for vag especially with the 1.5tsi. And there is no word on whether the AWD will be deleted. If you can sell only petrols at least make it desirable with the 2.0 tsi AWD for 30 ex-showroom or even better a 240hp rs version which will sell even at 37-38. When Skoda could sell the Octavia rs for 36, an AWD RSTiguan at 38 will sell 500 units if properly marketed.

Last edited by Eddy : 14th May 2020 at 17:27. Reason: typos and capitalisation
Old 14th May 2020, 17:32   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

To a layman like me, outwardly random looking decision making like this, devalues revered degrees like MBA, Harvard business school certificates etc. If people with such high profile degrees make decisions as if they are taken by drawing chits or straws, these institutes should sue such organizations for wasting their educational standards .
Old 14th May 2020, 17:53   #14
AYP
Senior - BHPian

VAG group really needs to bring back diesels at least in the higher segments for reasonable sale to take place. Sad to see the group which is known for its awesome diesels losing sales to the Korean and Indian manufacturers.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 18:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
VAG group really needs to bring back diesels at least in the higher segments for reasonable sale to take place. Sad to see the group which is known for its awesome diesels losing sales to the Korean and Indian manufacturers.
I think at this time, VAG would not like to add controversy to the existing calamity. Let us see how the group fares in the post Covid era. I am sure there is going to be a shakeup in the Indian auto sector.

Last edited by manson : 15th May 2020 at 13:24. Reason: Typo
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed