Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2020, 10:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Hyundai Palisade being evaluated for India

According to a media report, Hyundai is evaluating the Palisade SUV for the Indian market.

Rumour: Hyundai Palisade being evaluated for India-palisade.jpg

The Palisade is a full-size SUV. At the moment, it is sold in left-hand drive markets. However, reports suggest that Hyundai is working on a right-hand drive version for the Australian and South African markets. It is said that the Palisade could be imported into India as a completely built unit (CBU) under the revised norms which allow carmakers to import up to 2,500 vehicles per year without homologation.

The Hyundai Palisade measures 4,980 mm in length, 1,975 mm in width, 1,750 mm in height and its wheelbase is 2,900 mm. The SUV can seat up to 8 people.

In the international market, the Palisade is powered by a 3.8-litre V6 petrol engine that produces 291 BHP and 355 Nm and comes mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission and has optional all-wheel drive. In India, Hyundai could also offer a 2.2-litre diesel engine option producing 199 BHP.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 11:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Hyundai Palisade being evaluated for India

Can succeed and be more impactful than the Kia Carnival- SUV vs van. I hope Hyundai is targeting a price band just above the Fortuner/Endeavour and not really compete with the German SUVs.

The success of this car could be the stepping stone for brand Genesis

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 15th May 2020 at 11:44.
landcruiser123 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 11:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti must be going green with envy. This is a company that came from a place that wasn’t really known for making good cars, came in with one single product, was synonymous with budget cars, and now has come so far. The kind of margins they will enjoy on these premium products is stuff Maruti can’t even dream of. The Koreans have redone their entire range here in India, launched game charging new products and powertrains and are now looking to take the fight to the mighty Fortuner, and in meanwhile, Maruti is still pondering if Indians deserve anything more than a 4 speed TC automatic.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (57) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 12:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Maruti must be going green with envy. This is a company that came from a place that wasn’t really known for making good cars, came in with one single product, was synonymous with budget cars, and now has come so far. The kind of margins they will enjoy on these premium products is stuff Maruti can’t even dream of. The Koreans have redone their entire range here in India, launched game charging new products and powertrains and are now looking to take the fight to the mighty Fortuner, and in meanwhile, Maruti is still pondering if Indians deserve anything more than a 4 speed TC automatic.
True, Hyundai-kia has an extremely strong and modern lineup globally. I think Suzuki global don't have anything to offer above S-cross/Vitara/Gimny. This could be where the Maruti-Toyota partnership makes more sense.Who knows- we may be seeing a Maruti badged Kluger, C-HR or a RAV4
anish5225 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 14:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Indian car buyers over the years have developed cold feet when it comes to shelling out 35-40 lakhs for a Hyundai badge. The repeated failures of Tucson, Santa Fe are cases in point. At the same time, Indians were happy to buy the Santros, i 20' s, Cretas. Hyundai should leave it to its sibling Kia to crack the luxury segments.

Kia with the Carnival in its portfolio is slowly gaining traction as a luxury brand at least in India. The Kia Telluride bagging the prestigious world car of the year award would foster the image of brand Kia. The preceding years winners were Jaguar and Volvo put things in perspective. Not to forget Seltos with the Car Of The Year award too (team bhp award and Auto Car award). I won't be surprised if there develops a paradigm shift with luxury car buyers who would weigh in Kia too when they loosen their purse strings for a luxury car.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 15th May 2020 at 14:14. Reason: corrected spacings , added points
Bibendum90949 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 14:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Indian car buyers over the years have developed cold feet when it comes to shelling out 35-40 lakhs for a Hyundai badge. The repeated failures of Tucson, Santa Fe are cases in point. At the same time, Indians were happy to buy the Santros, i 20' s, Cretas. Hyundai should leave it to its sibling Kia to crack the luxury segments.
The only option Hyundai has is to launch it at a very lucrative price and then jack it up as the model sees success.
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 14:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
The only option Hyundai has is to launch it at a very lucrative price and then jack it up as the model sees success.

I totally agree. If brand loyalty were a virtue to be rewarded then my late father would certainly qualify for a gold medal from Hyundai and why not- for having bought 3 consecutive santros. I kid not. Hyundai has come a long way in India. Rather I would say that Hyundai found its wings in India. From the humble Santro to a vast portfolio today, not only have they expanded but offered quality. No wonder that Creta top model knocks at doors of the mighty XUV and Innova. And the cabins reeks of quality. I certainly appreciate what they have done. From the first generation to the latest we have owned all santros and they have vastly improved.
They have some pretty good products. Palisade is there then the genesis coupe. And the beautiful tiburon. Now only if they start offering these too they can tap many potential customers. Price is something they will have to work on. I think that now the manufacturers can't take the Indian customers for a ride. What with the slump previously in the wake of new emission norms and now the lockdown they will have to plan their next move nicely. 3 people in my friend circle are currently looking to purchase a new vehicle. And they are looking at Hyundai.
The single factor that decides the Indian buying psyche is reliability and A.S.S. Hyundai is already a benchmark in these. Now with world class products on offer I they have huge potential. Let's see what they do.
knrn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 14:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, Hyundai could keep on raising the price of Creta as much as they like and nobody would have questioned it. Its not like they needed the Palisade up there for ceiling reference . Nevertheless if they bring it here, those who purchase the Creta upto that time, must consider themselves quite lucky to have made an investment like never before.

As of now, I'm skeptical. Even if they bring it - I don't see Hyundai bringing the car to India as a proper CBU with the global spec monster of an engine. And without that engine, well I don't see the point in one.

Last edited by Reinhard : 15th May 2020 at 14:41.
Reinhard is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 17:52   #9
Team-BHP Support

But what is the price point they are looking at?

Pallisade is a full-size SUV and beyond any of the known monocoque segments in India. I guess pricing of around 40 lakhs will be realistic, but a tough sell for the Hyundai brand in India.

For comparison, here are some starting prices from the US market.

Volkswagen Tiguan: $ 24,945/-
Honda CR-V: $ 25,050/-
Hyundai Tucson: $23,550/-

Hyundai Palisade: $ 31,975/-

Will be a big boost for the Hyundai brand if they can price it right and make it a success here! A big successful SUV on the roads will do wonders to the brand image, something they never could achieve with the Tucson or SantaFe.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th May 2020 at 17:54.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 18:22   #10
BHPian

Hyundai Palisade and its cousin Kia Telluride can really spice up the SUV crazed market at the 40 lakh mark. Positioning it reasonably can indeed do wonderful for both the brands.

Palisade and Telluride both have enjoyed reasonable success in the key North American market and could just be the aspirational juggernaut SUV for a country like ours.
Old 15th May 2020, 18:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

With Kia Telluride winning the World Car of year award as midsize SUV, I would have liked Kia to bring it in. Like the front fascia of the Kia more than Hyundai.

Palisade having the Creta kind of weirdness doesnt look that good for a big SUV ! Bigger vehicles should have some simple elegance without too much of blings.
srishiva is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 21:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Palisade having the Creta kind of weirdness doesnt look that good for a big SUV ! Bigger vehicles should have some simple elegance without too much of blings.
Tell that to Lexus or even BMW, who recently launched its sharp-lined X7. While big cars like the Toyota Land Cruiser still follow a "wolf in sheep's clothing" approach, the luxury segment now days have changed from what they were back in the 90's or 2000's. The trend now days is bending towards the philosophy of making a "wolf in wolf's clothing." Even Land Rover, to an extent, has departed from its rugged boxy old school handsome design to a more modern sleeker one.

While there will always be people who prefer elegant conservative styling better than a one that shouts out, "Hey everyone, Look at me!", the best part is even the consumer market is changing and support it to quite an extent. Heck, the very fact that pure petrol heads who love corner-carving sedans are now starting to buy large body on frame Suv's with heaps of body roll speaks volumes itself. We, as a whole country, are maturing. Take it from me in writing, the Creta may look weird to many, but it will still be one of the segment leaders for sure. Same with the Palisade, if they price it right of course.

Last edited by Starfire : 15th May 2020 at 21:06.
Starfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 08:29   #13
BHPian

The age of a sedan seems to be over. Especially in uncertain times like today, world over people seem to gravitate towards trucks and SUVs. There may be a certain psychology at work here and experts can help understand.
However, post covid it's difficult to believe people willing to spend over 40 lakhs on a car given the fact that overall real incomes have fallen drastically.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 09:10   #14
BHPian

I like the Palisade. Ther lines which look weird on Creta are actually carried well on the Palisade and that's primarily due to its size and proportions. Having said that, I would prefer a Telluride and won't mind paying the equivalent of entry level Germans.
Old 16th May 2020, 10:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

Just last week I was doing some reading on full sized 3 row SUV's in the USA for someone.

Every print or video review earlier had a winner which was either Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander or Ford Explorer.

From mid 2019 every review of best SUV of 2020 has 1 of 2. The Kia Telluride or the Hyundai Palisade.

All the reviews hardly have any negatives for these 2. They are similar underneath but with different styling.

Between the Kia and Hyundai they win awards interchangeably. The interiors are top notch, performance is good, features wise they are loaded.

The Honda and Toyota are nowhere in the picture in terms of performance, features and drive quality as per all reviews compared to the KIA/Hyundai.

The closest was the VW Atlas which had really nice interiors but not as good as the Kia/Hyundai.

If Hyundai do consider the Palisade for India, it will be upwards of 40lakhs for sure. It is above the Fortuner and Endeavour and even Carnival so we are probably looking at 45-50L territory. The Kodiaq and Allspace are one segment lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
For comparison, here are some starting prices from the US market.

Volkswagen Tiguan: $ 24,945/-
Honda CR-V: $ 25,050/-
Hyundai Tucson: $23,550/-

Hyundai Palisade: $ 31,975/-
The Palisade compares to the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander and VW Atlas.

As your prices indicate its a full segment above and is a monocoque premium SUV. $7-8K USD translates to 5 lakh rupees which is probably not gonna happen.

The difference will be well above like 10-15L when it lands in India with the increased duties.

Maybe Kia can actually look at the Telluride instead of Hyundai looking at Palisade. The Kia looks better imo and is priced a little lower as it loses out on a few additional features the Hyundai has.

Kia after the Carnival might be able to pull off the Telluride better than Hyundai pulling off the Palisade.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 16th May 2020 at 10:25.
Vid6639 is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks