Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are you good at negotiating?
Yes 124 28.64%
No 309 71.36%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2020, 12:17   #76
BHPian

Re: Are you good at negotiating? How much did you bargain off your new / used car?

I voted No.

I was hunting for a pre worshipped Jeep Compass 8 months back. I wanted to replace my 3 years old TUV 300 AMT with a Compass.

The hunting process began:

Firstly I wanted to know the exact on-road prices of new Compass, so went straight to Jeep showroom and got quotations for all variants. They had 2018 manufactured Sports variant Compass with genuine Jeep accessories like Leather Seats, Rail Roof, Reverse Camera and Alloys. The SA mentioned it was 1.5 lakhs worth original Jeep accessories. They quoted 17.5 Lakhs and were happy to close at 17.

This visit gave me a good idea on what my budget should be for used cars. I did not go with this offer as it was out of my budget, it was a basic variant and it had only 2 airbags. It was also 2 years old sitting in dealer not sure what it went through. If I am buying a used car, I wanted to make sure it either is a Top variant or 1 variant below top.

I started hunting OLX for deals, got call from Ignes Jubilee hills as they had Longitude (O) variant available. This has done 30k and was in silver colour. I took a small TD, it was in perfect condition. Started checking out inside out for signs of accidents and re-painting. No such signs, so started negotiations. Dealer quotation is below

16.5 Lakhs
Resale value of 6 lakhs on my TUV

I just smiled and said not interested and left with a friendly shake. SA took my number and said he will check with their seniors and get back to me.

Next day got below quotation

16 lakhs
6.3 lakhs for TUV

I then started negotiations, I offered 14 lakhs for Compass and 7 lakhs for TUV, which he staright away rejected. My arguments were below

• Insurance Expired
  • Non local vehicle (Need NOC etc)
  • Warranty expired
  • I need to spend extra 75k for insurance and extended warranty

SA said sorry sir and mentioned they cannot offer such price. I said fine and told him let me know if anything changes. I waited patiently for 2 days, then got final quotation on watsapp of 15 lakhs on Compass and 6 lakhs on TUV. Which I rejected and stick with 14 lakhs. No deal and it was sold to other customer

I then visited Pride Honda Banjara Hills, they had Sports variant silver colour in great condition. 1 year old and insurance expired. After market alloys (which were very bad). Got quotation of 15.5 lakhs, to which I countered with 13 lakhs. No more follow ups from both end. The car is still not sold and I can see on OLX.

Got call from local dealer on other state registered Compass - Longitude variant 17.5 lakhs. I laughed and said not interested. He then called me next day and asked my expectations, I was ready for 14 which he declined. I still see it on OLX at 14.5 lakhs even after 8 months of listing. So good that I did not went with it.

All 3 scenarios, I was put on my stance but failed at negotiations. I should have been a proud owner of Compass but still using my TUV.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 22:35   #77
BHPian

No.

I'm a creature of habit and lover of regulations.

I'm not comfortable with negotiating or bargaining with anyone regardless of the price range. I wish I was, but it simply doesn't work for me.

It's like that even for the most simplest of things like vegetables. I just buy the rate the vendor quotes .

For cars, If I find value in something or have decided to buy it, I will do a lot of research before entering the showroom. Once there, I like to close the deal with the cleanest cut. No frills and drills.

I reward service and quality and don't mind paying extra for where it's due.

The experience and the elegance of the purchase is important to me besides the product itself. Mostly Ive been disappointed when sales people mistake being decent for being gullible and try to hood wink or pull a fast one on you, but on the rare case that mutual trust is built, that's where lies the pleasure in doing business.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:42   #78
BANNED

Re: Are you good at negotiating? How much did you bargain off your new / used car?

Hi everyone,

Pre lockdown period i.e. exactly on 16th March 2020 I bought Honda Amaze VXCVT BS4 from smart city Honda, Bhopal in orchid white.

The break down is:

Ex- Showroom: 970000

Registration + Road Tax = 94127

Standard Kit = 3099

Extended warranty 2 yr included

road side 1 yr assistance = 1842

TR = 3500

Discount = 59500/-

Final paid at showroom = 1011250/-

Insurance from my vendor at 26500/- (1+2)

Pls advice, whether it was reasonable pricing.

Regards

Last edited by jacobsamu : 22nd May 2020 at 10:56. Reason: Selling error
Old 23rd May 2020, 00:37   #79
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Happy to see discussions on this topic! I just thought I’d pour my heart out

I’m neither an industry expert in procurement nor an excellent negotiator. I happen to start off my career in Sales but soon got the opportunity to work in the Procurement department. Not many would see this ’Profile change’ as the best move to make to enhance ones career path, but I have enjoyed my time more in procurement rather than in Sales. Something that I’m really happy about is that this domain has got me very interested in knowing more about ‘how’ to negotiate.
I have been learning more and more about the aspects of negotiation, from my daily interactions and experiences.

One person who has really influenced and impressed me with his Negotiation skills is my father. Over a long period of time, I have slowly started to understand this process. At times, I used to wonder - What’s the use of comparing prices across soo many shops and wasting our time and energy? Why don’t we just go to the nearest shop and buy whatever we want to? I have now come to realise, after applying the very same principles in daily professional life, that it actually makes sense. Something that felt futile and vague, suddenly carries a lot of meaning now. Negotiation is no rocket science. You don’t have to be a master negotiator to get the deal at a rock bottom price. The objective is simply to pick the best amongst the given options. Yes, you do need some motivation and belief in the fact that good things can come in a better price! All good products need not be extremely expensive! A few pointers that I feel are crucial in getting a better deal -

1. Every negotiation must have a ‘basis’
It’s the underlying rule why we ‘compare’ dealers or shops or outlets. Unless you have a price basis in mind, it’s very difficult to bring the prices down. Negotiating without a basis is like negotiating in thin air, without any reference point! If you don’t have a price comparison, the dealer knows that you are unaware of the market prices and he will refuse to negotiate

2. Budgeting
Sticking to a budget helps bring down the cost at times

3. Having alternatives/substitutes
The simple fact that you can choose to buy another product can help you bring down the cost

4. Having multiple vendors
This is simply to spread your risk across vendors. In case your preferred shop is shut, you should have another shop to go to

5. Understanding the ‘scope’ where negotiation is possible/ Asking for price breakup
Not every aspect of the product pricing is negotiable. The final price is made up after adding different types of headers or segments. Try to find where there is a possibility to negotiate. For eg. While buying a new car, the ex-showroom price may be non negotiable, but - insurance, accessories, extended warranty, logistics cost, vehicle availability in stock, RTO charges etc. all are potential negotiation points.

6. Negotiation happens in phases
You may not achieve the best deal in one shot! It takes time and a few iterations. For eg. By the 3rd iteration you have gathered all your data and are in a position to throw a ‘take it or lose it’ bet to the dealer. You are bound to get a better price or the dealer will match your expected price. The trick is to not show all your cards at once.

7. Negotiation is not emotional (Generally!)
Ultimately it’s the best deal that wins. There’s no hard feelings for the sales guy for trying hard. It’s his job. He’ll try to do the best he can to win a customer. However, it’s the emotional card that they play which is what disturbs the entire process and leaves a bad taste in your mouth. You either give-in to the explanations or fight and go away from the shop. Ultimately, it leaves a bad experience and leaves you unsatisfied. That is when the iterations are required. Once you establish the rapport, it’s the best deal that takes the Order. And nobody is offended.

8. Customer is king!
Since you are the customer, take the lead in directing the flow of information your way. The key is to give less info and extract the most. The moment you give too much info than what is required, your chances of negotiating reduce.

I’m sure these pointers don’t appear as rocket-science to anyone. It’s simple and can be practised by anyone!
dreamliner17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 00:46   #80
BHPian

Haven't voted as I am not sure as to if I am a good at negotiations or not.

I negotiated and got a lac rupee discount on my Ecosport, but could not negotiate a penny on my CBR.

Either ways, I am happy with both deals as I love the products.
Old 27th November 2023, 22:38   #81
BHPian

TLDR - In the used car market are the real transaction prices 20-30% lower than the first quote shared by dealers?

Bumping up this thread.
I'd probably put me in the top 60th percentile of negotiators

When we got our Honda city (2020 Dec), we had exchanged a 2002 Indica for it.
If my memory serves me right, the dealer quoted ~13L for the city (V MT) and offered 30k in exchange for the Indica

Closed the deal on 28th Dec 2020, walked in with a cheque book.
  • Paid 12.15L for the car
  • 40k exchange price for the Indica
  • 20k exchange bonus (which SA claimed didn't apply to a new model city)
  • 15k loyalty bonus (which SA claimed didn't apply to a new model city)
  • 10k insurance quote drop
  • 6-7k worth accessories (floor mats, pillows)
In essence 5% off a new car (new gen model was launched in mid 2020)

We keep our cars till they're 15yrs+ or >1.5L kms. So lower resale of a 2020 model v/s 2021 model didn't matter to us

This brings me to the part of restarting this thread.
I'm looking to purchase a used car in NCR (2017/2018 Camry hybrid) {Influenced in no small part by Androdev}.
The experiences in the thread above seem to suggest a 10-15% discount on asking prices.
Checked in with a few dealers and perused online listings. Asking prices are all over the place.

For context new car prices (OTR) were 2018: ~39L, 2016/7: ~33L
  1. 2018 model, 32k driven, 1 owner - asking 28.5L
  2. 2018 model, 93k driven, 1 owner - asking 24.9L
  3. 2018 model, 74k driven, 1 owner - asking 24.5L
  4. 2017 model, 44k driven, 1 owner - asking 23.5L
  5. 2017 model, 87k driven, 2 owner - asking 18.5L
  6. 2016 model, 63k driven, 1 owner - asking 19L
  7. 2016 model, 75k driven, 2 owner - asking 17.5L
  8. 2016 model, 80k driven, 1 owner - asking 17L
(all prices preliminary quotes & are from dealers)

I was looking to pick up a well kept example between 15-18L (50% dep for a 6-7yr old D segment sedan)

How have other members negotiated when dealing with offline used car dealers?
Are the real transaction prices 20-30% lower than the first quote shared by the dealer?

Thanks
blueberry

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks