Hot 389 71.90%
Not 152 28.10%
Voters: 541. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2020, 15:53   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Honda Accord V6

Voted NOT - for three reasons:

1. The 2008 and later Accords' seats, door pads and center console leather is poor quality PU mix unlike the better leather on the 2003-07 Accords

2. It is nowhere as easy to navigate in traffic as the 2007 Accord( for example).

3. Parts don't last as long as the older Hondas - I've had issues with the radiator fan and the temperature switch in an Accord that I used.to maintain - couldn't believe that initially, but then realised that even a H can let you down these days.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 16:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

The engine, the mouth watering price in used car market and that beautiful shape!

Enough said!

Voting Hot hot hot!!
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 16:49   #33
BHPian

The Accord V6 8th Generation was on my list. I was unable to find the same in Goa. Finally, settled for Nissan Teana 250XV V6 2.5L, 2012 done 57k on odo.
Old 23rd May 2020, 17:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

I like the seventh generation Accord v6. It was sleeker, was tightly put together, and the looks sort of matched its performance.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Honda Accord V6-2image.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Honda Accord V6-1image.jpeg

It was the last of the good looking cars before Honda lost the plot.

In comparison the eighth generation is ungainly, clumsy looking and if you could get a boat to look like a car this was it.The boat like handling also matched its boat like looks.

In my books this is one of the ugliest cars ever made.

Buy one? You gotta be kidding..
AMG Power is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 18:16   #35

Voted HOT.
Our family has had an Accord 3.0 V6 from 2005 make year for the longest time now. With just 41,000 kilometres on the odometer, the car still feels as good as new, or as I may deem it is still new as far as the mechanicals are concerned barring the age related degradation of rubber parts and seals. With the prices of this car hitting the rock bottom, the thoughts of selling it if comes, fades with real urgency. I just cannot fathom spending around Rs 4-5 million on a new car to replace this Accord knowing that the money that I would getting selling my Honda Accord won't make up even 5% of the cost of a new comparable car, and with the atrocious amounts of electronics in todays' cars, I doubt they would be nearly as dependable as this one.
anmolminhasdua is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 18:47   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

Attachment 2009366

It was the last of the good looking cars before Honda lost the plot.

Your words ring true. The white one was perhaps the best looker. For a mid sized sedan it had very good proportions.

The 3.0 wasn't economy oriented and was a true VTEC. The VTEC point tended to be quite high in the rev band, IIRC it was 3500 rpm. It was like a switch and one rarely used the engine past this rpm. It was only during aggressive merging that one got to experience the VTEC. It was however a great engine below VTEC as well, traffic stop launches were quick. On a wet surface it was very easy to get the front wheels to break traction.

Neither the Honda or the Toyota V6 motors were sporting, they were designed for luxury in the bigger sedans, minivan and SUVs. The only true Japanese sporting V6 was the Maxima 4DSC. In one word, brilliant!

Last edited by Beast_of_Burden : 23rd May 2020 at 18:52. Reason: Grammar
Beast_of_Burden is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 18:50   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for a big NOT.

Personally because

1. My usage is about 100-120 km a day and I have a very heavy right foot. The fastest I have seen a fuel gauge needle go to the Empty level was in an Abarth punto, which returned a pathetic 7 kmpl under enthusiastic driving. This Honda 6 cylinder won't go past 4 kmpl. Not a very wise way of spending money.

2. It's a 5 meter boat, my daily driver is a 4.5 meter boat (ciaz). Even if the outright performance of the accord might be phenomenal, the handling will definitely be something we would crave for.

3. Spare availability and costs!! Moreover, imagine an unfortunate event of a minor accident and you need body panels. You need patience and cash , both in vast quantities.

Reliability is something that's overrated nowadays. Most modern cars are quite reliable atleast up to 2 lakh km if the periodic maintenance is well kept.

But for someone who rarely racks up miles and in need of a car with "image" and occasional straight road acceleration, the accord v6 makes a good buy.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd May 2020 at 18:53.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 20:09   #38
BHPian

Owned a 2003 7th gen AT.
Still drive a 2009 8th gen MT Accord run over 180k.
9.5 kmpl in city. 14.5 on highways.
Car I vouch for its longevity. Other than regular service and oul changes plus consumables (tyres, battery etc) - proper fill it shut it forget it car.
Wanted to get the 3.5 v6. But it cost a Honda City more then.
I'm driving this car till it falls apart.

Last edited by hkborah : 23rd May 2020 at 20:10.
hkborah is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 20:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Voted not, mostly because I’m not a fan of automatics, cvt in particular.
It would’ve been damn hot for me if it was a manual transmission.
Voted HOT. If I was in India, I would pick one of these up. The CVT is a huge positive in case of an Accord. Own one, so coming from 3.5 years of experience.
The best part about CVT is that it improves fuel economy greatly. At 140 kmph, my car is below 2500 rpm (ONLY). Think of it - even diesel engines may not be this low revving at these speeds. A lot of manufacturers adopted CVT. Nissan, for instance. Only Honda's CVT is the most reliable. Only a CVT can be configured for the best of both worlds - superb fuel economy and a smooth power delivery. I once chased down a Ford F150 comfortably just by switching my CVT to the sport mode.
VTEC_Love is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 22:01   #40
BHPian

Voted no.

I admit I am a Honda fan (not the Brio, City, BR-V stuff, but the Civic, Accord, NSX). However, I have to vote no because this isn't a good car to OWN in India. Having owned a Skoda Laura, I have dealt with the annoyance of finding replacement parts. As much as I like the Accord V6, it is not a good buy here.
Old 23rd May 2020, 22:54   #41
BHPian

Vote NOT! I have actually owned a 2009 Accord Coupe when I was in college in Dubai. It is a gas guzzler. The engine was silky smooth as mentioned but the gear box was a huge letdown. The roof lining came off as well. I enjoyed owning the car but I had a feeling that the car was going to give me problems in the future so I sold it and bought a 370z. The thirst will be an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Honda Accord V6-95471fba2a05109cb6ade2c9279cc6bc.jpg  

sirjokhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 23:17   #42
BHPian

I am still driving this version 4 cylinder Accord in DXB and already clocked 370,000Km. If i am not wrong i think the V6 version of Accord comes with Variable Cylinder Management ( VCM ) in order to improve fuel economy & use the extra horsepower 6 cylinder as & when power and acceleration is required. This vehicle is built to last forever. Solid build quality & safety for occupants and spacious along with an excellent highway cruiser. If properly maintained this vehicle should last forever. Parts can be expensive & especially the dealer will try to fleece customers for any repairs and parts. Over here i have done minor repairs using scrap parts since scrap parts are easily available. All in all the Honda Accord is an excellent vehicle anyday!
Sarinkrc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 23:43   #43

Voted Yes.
I have a 2008 Honda Accord V6 in Melbourne Australia which I bought a year back from an old gentleman who maintained it like new.
Best car for the money. I had it tuned from a local shop to stage 1 and voila I was making 360hp at the crank. The car pulls crazy in a straight line.
I can't wait to get back at the wheel. Thanks to corona, I am struck in India from going back to Australia.
Nani700 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 01:23   #44
BHPian

The accord v6 would be a future classic.
Sounds crazy? Well....

1. Last of the past: The V6 is one of the few mass market cars with more than 4 cylinders and a large engine. Since emissions are in, I am sure it is also the last. Don't count European car like an inline six BMW please, no one wants to deal with that white elephant here. Plus it has a good old torque converter which should be bullet proof. Also should sound good when straight piped!

2. Nostalgia: think of how many lower middle class kids saw this gen of Accord and thought it was the ultimate bomb! They would get older and would want one of these and they will when they will have enough disposable income.

3. Styling: IMO this was and still is a handsome and somewhat distinctive car, this is from a time when Honda's models had distinctive styling. I think this car will age fine.

4. Simplicity: this is not a very complex car and should be easy to maintain and diagnose, they sold quite a few of these around the globe. It is not like a cave either so is in the sweet spot.

5. Rarity.

People are saying "oh 6 kmpl" and the "spares are pricey"....
...guys I thought we were car "enthusiasts" so why not actually get something exciting and show our enthusiasm?
Doge is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 07:07   #45
BHPian

Voted - NOT
I have a theory that the Japs are very specific about the criteria that they have for building cars. If they want to build a comfortable family car, they do a great job of building that. If they want a sports car, they do a brilliant job of building that. If they want a cheap economical car, they do a brilliant job of building that. What they do very badly or not well is build a car that can do multiple things well.(there are a few exceptions to this but that is what makes it largely true). That is where the Europeans score. There is nothing like a M3-M5 in Japan.
The Accord was meant to be a reliable, family car. Just plonking a big V6 in it doesn't make it good, in fact it makes it worse. I think the V6 was put in it just to please the Americans who have a fixed and flawed mindset about the capability of a car and the size of the engines. As multiple people have said it is a boat in corners, big, heavy with abysmal fuel economy. I have also seen quite a lot of these with a lot of wear and tear, especially on the leather bits which looks really bad.
That said, this is one of the American Accords whose design I like unlike the previous versions. It is very comfortable at sedate speeds. A friend owns one and he wouldn't change it for anything as he says everything else feels like a downgrade. If I had to buy one, which I won't, I would chose the normal one and not the V6.
Amsdoc is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks