Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2020, 10:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Kia is considering the Soul for India

According to Media Report,

Kia Motors India is considering launching the Soul in India in future.

Rumour: Kia is considering the Soul for India-kiasoul202080001.jpg

Rumour: Kia is considering the Soul for India-kiasoul202080002.jpg

Rumour: Kia is considering the Soul for India-kiasoul20208000a.jpg

Quote:
The next big launch for Kia Motors India is going to be the Sonet subcompact SUV. Now, while Kia will focus its concentration of the subcompact SUV, the company is also looking at bringing in other cars to the country over the next few years.
Manohar Bhat, VP Head- Sales and Marketing, Kia Motors India said, "We got a lot of feedback from customers at the Auto Expo 2020 about the Soul. The Soul is a very young and different looking vehicle. While the Soul EV might not be a viable solution for India right now, it Soul is available in other powertrains and it is well worth looking at.

We have got very positive feedback about the design of the Soul. We will look at the Soul or a similar vehicle for the Indian market going forward. We are seriously looking at it and we'll bring it only after checking out on how the market is progressing."

Currently the Soul is available in global markets with two petrol engines - a 2-litre, 4 cylinder unit which is good enough for 147 bhp and then there's a 1.6-litre turbocharged engine which gives the Soul its sporty credentials and it makes more than 200 horses.

Source
CarguyNish is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 13:07   #2
BHPian

re: Rumour: Kia is considering the Soul for India

KIA is considering Soul for Indian market. Don't know how the market will react for this different looking car. Apparently KIA seems to have bright stars in Indian market.
With good sale figures across America and Canada, looking forward for more updates of child born to Skoda Yeti and MS Ritz
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Kia is considering the Soul for India-img_20200524_124936sthh.jpg  

gjnnbagal is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 13:28   #3
BHPian

The design is an extremely subjective point in the automotive industry and Kia Soul would definitely take the crown of being the most controversial design in India with a lot of polarising opinion after Ignis. I for one loved it!

It connects to me, something very unique, it's one of those rare crossover UV which looks funky & cool! I don't know if there are any other UV in the industry you can label the same, One may say Ritz was funky but I felt the rear and front didn't blend together, then Yeti could be a contender too but again, except the front Head lamps, it had no quirk, Ignis to is indeed one but the rear doesn't appeals to me. Soul on the other hand, looks very modern with those sleek head lamps & Vertical LED Tail lamps with ample curves all around which doesn't feel like you're driving a box when it indeed is one. The Crossover exudes quirky characters all around! Be it the signature grille, tall boy stance with the Ice Cube features or the way it's interior seems! Chunky and bold yet very practical. Moreover, it just looks so much practical and spacious!

I never thought one could connect with a Box but this shoe box has a "Soul" and I would definitely want to see them on the Indian roads with me behind the wheel in one of those GT Lines.

Last edited by YashD : 24th May 2020 at 13:44. Reason: Cross checking and basic Change
YashD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 14:54   #4
BHPian

I thought I was the only one who felt the design is quirky. A polarizing shape. When I had to rent a car in US, I picked Kia Soul (the previous generation) from the list, walked to parking lot, saw it in person, went back to counter and changed car to Elantra. What I wouldn't like to rent, would I own ? No way.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 24th May 2020 at 14:57.
Thermodynamics is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 15:12   #5
BANNED

I don't think Indians will ever warm up to this design like they did to Kia Seltos, this may still have few takers but can never be a super success like Seltos. If launched, and if it manages to do half or one-third of Seltos' numbers, then it is Kia that must be admired for making it a success.
wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 16:50   #6
BHPian

I think Indians will warm up to this quirky car if decently priced. The boxy design probably means more interior and boot space for its segment.

The quirkiness in the rear is a bit overwhelming though, especially the body-coloured KIA moustache panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnnbagal View Post
With good sale figures across America and Canada, looking forward for more updates of child born to Skoda Yeti and MS Ritz
Excellent observation. The Soul does look like a Yeti and Ritz offspring!
JojyKerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 16:54   #7
BHPian

The front will grow upon one eventually. It is what is after C-pillar that will be deal breaker. Talking about the form behind C-pillar, neither is it appealing from side view nor back view. KIA should look after some design changes there and we may have another acceptable(not blockbuster like Seltos) product.
Old 24th May 2020, 19:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
I don't think Indians will ever warm up to this design like they did to Kia Seltos, this may still have few takers but can never be a super success like Seltos.
Yes it looks quirky. Most off beat designs takes some time to grow on us. Remember the very first Santro, Zen (side profile) , Ritz, even Duster. All these cars made most people bewilder at the looks and design when it had first burst onto the scene. But then it grew on us and all were roaring successes. I think with Soul too, it may follow the same pattern.

Even the new Creta is in the same boat. Wait for more Cretas to hit the road and all those polarizing reactions would slowly fade away. I for one don't like to look at it for now

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 24th May 2020 at 19:42.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 22:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Taking the news with a pinch of salt. They may consider the Soul EV (and develop a hybrid?), but the regular Soul really doesn't have a place. With the new Sub 4m SUV (Sonet??) and 4.3m Seltos, I doubt there's a sub-segment for the 4.2m long Kia Soul.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 22:38   #10
BHPian

It won't make sense for another front wheel drive car to be similarly priced as the Seltos and the Sonet. They should try bringing a sedan rivaling the C segment like the Honda City and Ciaz. I believe it will be based on the Verna if that's the case.
Old 24th May 2020, 23:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post

Yes it looks quirky. Most off beat designs takes some time to grow on us. Remember the very first Santro, Zen (side profile) , Ritz, even Duster. All these cars made most people bewilder at the looks and design when it had first burst onto the scene. But then it grew on us and all were roaring successes.
Why all this growing? Why not make it smashing looking from day one? Look at Seltos. Everyone's jaw dropped when they looked at it. Didn't require any growing. I don't understand this whole growing thing. These are not humans we are talking about. All humans are not born with stunning looks and we have to live with it. But this is a man-made thing. How hard is to make it good looking? Sorry, I am a sucker for good looks. Ugly, weird cars are not my thing. I will rather stretch my budget and buy a Seltos over this.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 07:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

When I owned Qualis, I used to get irritated and disagree when people said it had box shape.

Now comes the real geometrically authentic bread box. Or is it that Bakers have stolen this car design and planned the shape of the bread?

I am confused

Last edited by gkveda : 25th May 2020 at 07:16.
Old 25th May 2020, 10:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

I dont know the exact dimensions of the Soul, but for sure its smaller than the Seltos and that is where the problem is, however premium the Soul maybe. With the Sonet being launched this year Kia has the 10-20 lakh segment covered with 2 cars. If they can bring the Soul as a spacious alternative to the sub 4 m sedans or also the premium hatchbacks like the i20 and the Baleno, then Kia has a chance to position the Soul as an unique offering.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 10:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Having had the opportunity to drive this as rental car, its really too staid. There is nothing in looks or in the interior. Its clean and upright interior space wise, though not big.

Not sure if it can compete with the aspirations that we have with SUVs now. Its not a SUV and not a car, so people who have a single car might not be intereseted.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 12:14   #15
Team-BHP Support

While people have had an opinion on polarizing designs even in the past; I wonder how relevant it has been in decision making. Look at some of the cars that have struck big in our market; whoever said a car won't be sold because of a bad design!

As long as Kia can (feature) spec this car to warm the cockles of the Indian heart and price it well, no reason why this won't follow the Seltos. Only hitch, where does it fit and what would be its USP.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks