Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2020, 10:46   #46
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb facelift launched at Rs. 29.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
I just saw the walk around video by Zigwheels posted above and here comes another big disappointment.

First of all the sunroof is puny and if I am not mistaken the sunroof blind is not an electric unit and one need to pull it manually.

A manual sunroof blind in this segment and that too in top of the line L&K variant, big shame I must say. I assume Passat have fully electric panoramic sunroof with electric blind.
And guess what, Skoda refers to this as 'Panoramic electric sunroof' in their brochure

If that's the case then all of us BMW 3/5 series owners are going to be happy with our newly defined 'Panoramic' sunroof
akash.1318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 11:17   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
DQ381-7F - Front wheel drive applications
DQ381-7A - AWD applications.

DQ380 - Cheaper version with lesser torque now exclusive for China. Was found in few Golf variants but now all DQ381.
You seem to know well the technical details : P

Could you tell me If this new DSG model is much more reliable than the previous one? i.e. the one that would fail, allegedly because of our climatic conditions, which they put in the Superb, Octavia, Polo etc. as well

Thank you.
Old 31st May 2020, 23:30   #48
BHPian

I was trying to figure out why Skoda would drop a feature like AFS from their flagship product. Then I found this link.

Skoda had globally upgraded to a better lighting system called Matrix Headlights, and the Skoda Superb (both Sportline and L&K) was the first model to roll out with this feature.

But I am guessing that as part of their cost cutting features for India they just dropped this and decided to go for the "Panoramic Sun Roof".

But I still dont get the logic of giving AFS in the Karoq and only standard LED lights in the Superb L&K.
Old 1st June 2020, 19:13   #49
BHPian

Does this 2.0 TSi have cylinder deactivation tech like in the 1.5 TSi in T-Roc?
Old 1st June 2020, 20:00   #50
Senior - BHPian

The Cylinder Deactivation Techology is in the TSI EVO engines only. Also it's not something that drastically changes anything. The Deactivation happens only under very specific circumstances and conditions. In daily use on our roads I don't think it will make an impact. There is a minimum speed that the car has to be in when that gets enabled and further gets activated if that speed is maintained. Something like crushing on highway at a constant speed.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 21:04   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Does this 2.0 TSi have cylinder deactivation tech like in the 1.5 TSi in T-Roc?
ACT is available only in the 1.4 TSI ACT and 1.5 TSI Evo engines. The details of ACT are as follows (Source)
Quote:
ŠKODA vehicles fitted with the 1.4 TSI ACT and 1.5 TSI Evo engines (the latter is making its debut in the KAROQ) have been using the automatic cylinder deactivation system since 2015 (ACT stands for Active Cylinder Technology).

The system gets activated automatically whenever the engine speed gets between 1,400 and 4,000 revs/min and the vehicle cruises at a stable speed, under a partial load, i.e. usually on flat or downhill stretches, and on condition that the speed does not exceed 130 km/h.

In such circumstances the vehicle needs a very low power output and low torque levels (approximately 25 - 100 Nm) that can be reliably provided by just two cylinders instead of four. By disconnecting the supply of air and fuel to the second and third cylinders, the system reduces the inner engine resistances and the engine therefore operates more economically. Depending on the driving style, the ACT can save as much as 0.5 l/100 km. The system’s activity is indicated on the dashboard, and the ACT indicator is actually the only thing to let the driver know that two cylinders have been deactivated, because they won’t feel any “physical” difference.
jinu_joseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:23   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
You seem to know well the technical details : P

Could you tell me If this new DSG model is much more reliable than the previous one? i.e. the one that would fail, allegedly because of our climatic conditions, which they put in the Superb, Octavia, Polo etc. as well

Thank you.
The DQ381 is way more reliable than the one in older Superb and Octavia.

One is because it is designed to handle way more Torque of 400Nm vs the DQ200 which had a max torque rating of 250Nm. In the Superb and Octavia, the engine was detuned to 250Nm so the gearbox could handle it but even that was at the limit.

Secondly the 7 speed was a dry clutch unit which was having issues in tropical climates like India.

However the DQ381 is a wet clutch unit which is bathed in oil so it is not temperature averse.

In general it will be way more reliable than the DQ200 but absolute reliability is still a question mark as it is a new one for India.

It is also found on the Tiguan Allspace in AWD which is far more heavier duty. IF you look at it, this gearbox is only for high power applications vs the DQ200 which was maxed out in Superb and Octavia.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 18:51   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
I just saw the walk around video by Zigwheels posted above and here comes another big disappointment.

First of all the sunroof is puny and if I am not mistaken the sunroof blind is not an electric unit and one need to pull it manually.

A manual sunroof blind in this segment and that too in top of the line L&K variant, big shame I must say. I assume Passat have fully electric panoramic sunroof with electric blind.
yeah, I am quite surprised that they replaced the panoramic sunroof with a regular one. Maybe to reduce costs I suppose. But it is also kind of disappointing as all the Octavias and the Superbs have had a panoramic one, so far.
The manual sunroof blind is honestly not an issue. It is very easy to pull up and down and in my 6 months of ownership of Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K, I haven't faced any inconvenience on this account, nor do you miss an electric blind as it barely takes a second to draw it.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:13   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
yeah, I am quite surprised that they replaced the panoramic sunroof with a regular one. Maybe to reduce costs I suppose. But it is also kind of disappointing as all the Octavias and the Superbs have had a panoramic one, so far.
The manual sunroof blind is honestly not an issue. It is very easy to pull up and down and in my 6 months of ownership of Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K, I haven't faced any inconvenience on this account, nor do you miss an electric blind as it barely takes a second to draw it.
Sunroof was never panoramic. It was very similar to the Octavia you have. The glass would look huge from outside but inside was slightly bigger than the regular sunroof. They have retained the same in the new one. No change.

What the Zigwheels video is talking about is that it is not true panoramic like in the Karoq which they shot earlier in the same showroom.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:46   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
yeah, I am quite surprised that they replaced the panoramic sunroof with a regular one.
Superb never came with panoramic sunroof as far as I remember.

Quote:
I disagree on this point, most of the manual features will be faster than their electric counterpart. We have electric seats, electric tail gate, electric mirrors, etc to name a few all manual counterparts will be way faster. Comparison of electric blind done with the one present in Endeavour it definitely add the luxury quotient. In a 40L+ car the manual adjustment simply sounds cheap.
Old 4th June 2020, 21:10   #56
BHPian

Well for me, the Superb is no longer the flagship model under the Skoda umbrella, it is simply the most expensive car in their stable. A flagship car has to have all the flagship features, which the superb does not. As of today they dont have a flagship model.

But really sad to see the features of the Superb chipped away like this. I dont think Skoda Superb customers would mind paying an extra 1 lakh and getting all the flagship features.

Also their customer care does not seem to be getting any better. The query i sent to them a week and a half back continues to be unanswered.
jinu_joseph is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 10:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Sunroof was never panoramic. It was very similar to the Octavia you have. The glass would look huge from outside but inside was slightly bigger than the regular sunroof. They have retained the same in the new one. No change.
Actually I used to often wonder why they (Skoda) call it Panoramic sunroof when it was just marginally bigger than a normal one. So I just went along with their nomenclature

But this one (on the new Superb) seemed a bit smaller than the one which came with the earlier model, but maybe you are right it would be the same size but a different styling.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 12:20   #58
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or the wheels on the facelift Superb are very similar to the ones on the facelift Ford Endeavour? Although the Endy has a 12 spoke design, but very very similar finish and cuts.
Skoda Superb facelift launched at Rs. 29.99 lakh-img_7445.jpg

Skoda Superb facelift launched at Rs. 29.99 lakh-img_7444.png
The picture of the Skoda wheel is of an 18" one, but exactly the same design as what we have got here. I personally always prefer the wheel designs that Skoda launches in the UK, and the multiple options they give UK customers to choose from 17" to 19" wheels, etc. Those designs never make it to India, they just give us what is left in stock and no one is buying in those other markets with multiple options. I like the Sportline wheels better, but it definitely needs 18" instead of 17".
Old 13th July 2020, 17:24   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Skoda will be watching the interest in the Sportline very keenly. The last batch sold at 5-6 lakh discounts
Might happen this time around too, more to do with the pandemic economic scenario I'd say. Also, that has to happen before end of 2020, else it'd be become that much more difficult to get the new Octavia priced correctly. Interesting 6 odd months ahead. Were you considering Superb before eventually giving into the Bimmer?
Old 20th July 2020, 21:35   #60
BHPian

I just reread the specs of the Sportline version.

No storage behind front seats ???
No adjustable head rests for front seats ??!!

This is ridiculous. For a 35 L OTR car the absence of above 2 is mind boggling. Even 13 L City has these.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed