Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2020, 10:36   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sold car, but buyer wants to cancel the deal - Now what?

When I was in college, I'd sold my ZundappExplorer to a guy who withheld some money back citing cash issues. That money never came. Taught me an early lesson in life to get full payment out first
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
A similar thing happened to me when my Skoda was sold. He paid me Rs 10000 short. I kept the spare key worth Rs 15000
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 10:48   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybird View Post
As the title suggests, I wanted advice on a situation i have got myself into recently.

Request members to suggest the way forward. Thanks
Mind sharing an update? I think the gist of the responses/feedback is to not agree to his ask; but there are a ton of options suggested above wrt next steps; some really good ones included. Do share how the conversations are proceeding with the buyer.
ninjatalli is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 11:18   #78
BHPian

Quote:
let them assess and make an offer. Accept it if price is right
Great idea. He can even accept whatever the price. It doesn't matter, because he has already received 70% of the money! Whatever Cars24 offers, adjust against the original price you agreed upon, and refund the difference to the 1st buyer! That's the price he pays for backing out, and the hassles he has caused to you.
Old 30th May 2020, 11:42   #79
BHPian

My quote ,
Please hold on 30% of the payment you received from the buyer , buy some time to visit local Police station and RTO authorities and inform about the transaction . Get the car thoroughly checked at authorized service station if possible .
Only after everything is satisfactory then only release his balance . Since you hold the RC please take the car in your possession asap , so you avoid any future mishap .
I personally feel the other guy is genuine and everything will work fine .
Regards
Old 30th May 2020, 12:20   #80
BHPian

Couple of points struck me from the whatsapp messages -
a) The unfortunate accident happens at around 3 PM
b) Towards the end of the chat he mentions that he will travel in the morning and be back to admit by afternoon which means that the native place is not too far from BLR.

While there are many possibilities/scenarios which are unknown to us, the fact that he chose not to travel (to a place which is not too far) which could have been reached before the 7pm travel curfew kicks in but message you around ~6hrs later does not really fit the narrative

Also visiting a hospital to verify OP's medical emergency in these Corona times needs to be really thought out

a) Try to do get some info on whether any accident really happened by checking local news for his native place area else
b) (just thinking aloud) file a police complaint for stolen vehicle if the buyer is with-holding the 30% but this could backfire since he holds the signed form 29/30 and some of the transaction happened via cash so its your word against his

It just struck me that the buyer could be reading all these ideas via this thread
kochup is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 09:02   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't know whether his situation is genuine or false. A car once sold is sold[/u]. There are too many things that could have gone wrong. He could have swapped parts (he mentions servicing it), or used it for a criminal offence.

You also made a mistake by giving delivery against 70% payment. .
You learn something new everyday from others experiences.
However, I would never be able to forgive myself if the hospital scenario was true and I wasn’t there to help him. As a lot of people have suggested, I will now recommend that you find out the truth regarding the hospitalisation and then take it from there.

PS: I am a medical doctor and firmly believe that the quickest way to poverty in India is through a serious disease in the family.
Sree is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 13:11   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Very stupid deal. Full payment or nothing. A similar thing happened to me when my Skoda was sold. He paid me Rs 10000 short. I kept the spare key worth Rs 15000.
That key can be reprogrammed by Skoda dealer and used as your additional key. I found that out when my Octavia key went missing while I was in Delhi the nearest dealership had a old key with them of a accidental car which they programmed to my cars code taken from mail approval in about 9-11 hrs. All this for 12K but there is no warranty for the key and I have not used that key for the last year.
Old 31st May 2020, 19:43   #83
BHPian

Hope this matter has been amicably resolved though its a very delicate situation to be in for the seller. He has maintained composure in the sms screenshots.

Looking forward to an update.
Old 1st June 2020, 11:25   #84

I apologize for not coming back on this thread with further updates. I have seen the replies and accept my mistake of delivering the car without full payment. A lesson well learnt.

As far Mr Buyer, he is sticking to his story and most of it is unbelievable. Some of his whatsapp communication is disturbing and not worth publishing here at this moment.

I had volunteered to help him in these testing times and am ready to re-negotiate if he provides some proof (which he has agreed to).

In between I have consulted some legal professionals and all of them have suggested me to not take back the car under any circumstances.

I have left all my options open including filing a police complaint. I will post back when i have further all details.
lazybird is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 23:14   #85
BHPian

Quote:
I apologize for not coming back on this thread with further updates. I have seen the replies and accept my mistake of delivering the car without full payment. A lesson well learnt.

As far Mr Buyer, he is sticking to his story and most of it is unbelievable. Some of his whatsapp communication is disturbing and not worth publishing here at this moment.

I had volunteered to help him in these testing times and am ready to re-negotiate if he provides some proof (which he has agreed to).

In between I have consulted some legal professionals and all of them have suggested me to not take back the car under any circumstances.

I have left all my options open including filing a police complaint. I will post back when i have further all details.
If you need any legal advice, PM me, I'll help you pro bono.

Also, an affidavit is a very cheap way to ensure that people stick to what they say. It costs less than ₹100~ and takes maybe 15 minutes of your time. No need to go to any court complex, just find the nearest notary.

Last edited by Balthazar : 2nd June 2020 at 23:17. Reason: Typos on the phone.
Balthazar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 23:03   #86
BHPian

I have dealt with many used cars sold, bought online and through known dealers. Learnt it the bitter way never ever handover car with pending payments. Only handover the car once full payment is received and ownership transfer is initiated, best pay for the transfer of ownership to save those dodging answers of buyer saying we will do later.

We had once sold a car in 2000, buyer parked his bike as there was 35k pending for a 1.5 lac deal. Who wouldn't believe this. Bike parked for weeks, buyer never responded to calls and we thought he would come back as it was a new bike. Lol after 4 months bike financers somehow tracked the bike and explained us how that guy duped so many people and left absconding.

So I would advice in all means if you are ok forgeting that 30% payment let go off the deal and car. Or get back the car and pay him back if you do genuinely think you had better offers. While doing so remember you do all of this above if you had a proper delivery note on stamp paper, if note do not cancel the deal let go the rest to avoid any legal hassles such as crime.
monster2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 05:46   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree View Post
You learn something new everyday from others experiences.
However, I would never be able to forgive myself if the hospital scenario was true and I wasn’t there to help him. As a lot of people have suggested, I will now recommend that you find out the truth regarding the hospitalisation and then take it from there.

PS: I am a medical doctor and firmly believe that the quickest way to poverty in India is through a serious disease in the family.
It was a business transaction and should be treated as such . Its irrelevant to the seller whatever weird stories the buyer makes up. There is no reason why the seller should expend time and energy verifying the buyers hospitalisation story IMO.

P.S A friendly colleague
Old 13th June 2020, 13:35   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Any update on this issue? Since it was a small matter between 2 individuals, I believe a solution would have been reached by now. Looking forward to an update OP.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 23:23   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I apologize for not coming back on this thread with further updates. I have seen the replies and accept my mistake of delivering the car without full payment. A lesson well learnt.....
Hi Lazybird,
Can you please share an update? This is a unique situation and can be a warning for all readers.

Thanks
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:31   #90
Senior - BHPian

Guys give him some time, he is a Lazybird afterall
He hasnt been on Team Bhp since 2nd June 2020.

Maybe dear mods can give him a nudge?

Last edited by silverado : 26th June 2020 at 12:32.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks