Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2020, 10:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Many Land Rover & Range Rover models lose their diesel engines; petrol only!

Land Rover has discontinued all diesel engines as well as the V6 petrol engine from the Discovery and the Range Rover Velar. Both SUVs now get a 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine.

Many Land Rover & Range Rover models lose their diesel engines; petrol only!-discovery.jpeg

The Discovery was launched with a 3.0-litre V6 petrol engine and a 3.0-litre V6 diesel engine. A 2.0-litre diesel was introduced in 2019. Now, however, all these engines have been discontinued.

At launch, the Range Rover Velar was available with a 2.0-litre diesel engine, a 3.0-litre V6 diesel engine and a 2.0-litre petrol engine. When the locally built Velar was launched, the V6 diesel was discontinued.

Many Land Rover & Range Rover models lose their diesel engines; petrol only!-velar.jpeg

Both SUVs are now available only with a 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine. In the Discovery, the unit produces 296 BHP and 400 Nm, while in the Velar, it produces 247 BHP and 365 Nm.

Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 11:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Land Rover Discovery, Velar get only 2L petrol; lose diesels

The 2 litre engine is a horrible choice, both these vehicles are heavy and need the low end torque that only a diesel can provide. There was a recent review of the Velar, in the Swiss mountains with one passenger the efficiency was something like 15l per 100km. Imagine what it would be on the discovery, the powerful v6 got under 4kmpl, the two litre will probably get less once out gets moving.

Large SUVs need a 6 cylinder diesel, no amount of boost on a 4 cylinder engine will manage the effortless delivery of the larger displacement motors
avira_tk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 11:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Land Rover has discontinued all diesel engines as well as the V6 petrol engine from the Discovery and the Range Rover Velar. Both SUVs now get a 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine.
I'll forever be thankful to the heavens for the generation that I was born in. A generation that got to see the transition from pure analogue electronics to nano digital technologies. From transistor radios to Spotify & Netflix.

A generation that got to see the transition from raw engineering & brutish engines that made driving the purpose of a journey to the present & near future of engines that seem to be generating depression instead of adrenaline rush. I'm glad I got my driving license in time.

Offroad capable large SUVs without a diesel engine. And just a 2.0 inline 4 petrol power plant. 2020 really is going at us with full broadside.

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th May 2020 at 11:48.
Reinhard is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 12:15   #4
BHPian

Looks like Land Rover is going the Audi way!

The Discovery weighs over 2.2 tons, so any prospective buyer should not expect the 2.0 Ingenium Petrol to be more than adequate. And now, the gorgeous Velar will be all show but no go!

Dear Land Rover, most of your buyers prefer diesels. I'm yet to see a Petrol Discovery on Indian roads. If you want to only offer petrol powertrains, why don't you just offer the creamy V6?

In a car costing over 75 lakhs, I would expect a bigger capacity engine. Please don't be idiots like the 'enlightened' ones at Audi India.

Last edited by BZ25 : 29th May 2020 at 12:17.
BZ25 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 12:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess it has been like this for atleast two months now.

Remember looking in the Landrover website during the initial days of lockdown and seeing except for the Discovery sport diesel and the Range Rover V6s, everything else was just 2.0l petrols. Had to double check whether I stumbled across the Volvo website.

Agreed that a 2l diesel is the gold standard for performance and efficiency compromise, but for the Land Rover stable's average kerb weight and most of it's clientele being self driven, some engine option oomph wouldn't hurt. Not for illegal speed, but in-gear acceleration and overtaking. Would be a pity to be smoked by a well driven Figo diesel or an Innova 2.8 ( good grief that's discontinued too)

Hope this is just a minor period for BS6 and Covid-19 excuses.

They should bring the 2.0l diesels and develop diesel versions of the i6 ingenium engines, and bring it to India ASAP.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 13:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Range Rover, Range Rover Sport lose diesel engines

Land Rover has removed the diesel variants of the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport from its Indian website. The SUVs now come only with petrol powertrains.

Many Land Rover & Range Rover models lose their diesel engines; petrol only!-l405_18my_100_dx_gallery_1600x900_297379591_1820x1023.jpg

At launch, the Range Rover and the Range Rover Sport, apart from the petrol engines, were offered with a choice of diesel engines - a 3.0-litre, V6 diesel with 255 BHP and 600 Nm of torque and a 4.4-litre, V8 diesel with 335 BHP and 740 Nm.

Many Land Rover & Range Rover models lose their diesel engines; petrol only!-636940476265654730us.jpg

The Range Rover Sport is now available only with a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine rated at 296 BHP / 400 Nm and a 3.0-litre six-cylinder mild hybrid petrol developing 394 BHP / 550 Nm. The Range Rover is offered only with the 3.0-litre petrol unit. The MHEV system combines a petrol engine with a 48V underfloor battery and an integrated belt starter-generator.

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 29th May 2020 at 13:48.
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 14:39   #7
BHPian

It's not ideal but I get it! The 2.0 diesel Velar was more underpowered than the 2.0 petrol according to the reviews (the 3.0 V6 didn't make it to the locally built version).

As for the discovery, the diesel cost something like 10 lakhs more than the petrol if my memory serves me right and the petrol V6 was way more powerful. So, even keeping fuel efficiency in mind, 10 lakhs is a huge premium just for a diesel and turbo petrol V6s are quite torquey anyway.

But it makes less sense in the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport though perhaps they want to promote the Hybrid.
dragracer567 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 14:52   #8
BHPian

I sometimes wonder when you can pay BMW who’ll happily sell engines/drivetrains in whatever flavour you want, why discontinue something which is the bulk of sales.

Whatever happened to tapping synergies or unlocking value when you know a JLR customer will only buy a JLR.

I feel it’s do with an electronic future.
Old 29th May 2020, 15:07   #9
Team-BHP Support

For the Velar I can understand dropping the larger engines, since its clientele would be more interested in form over function. But the Discovery is a full size SUV, and the people who buy Discoveries buy it for the functionality it offers. The 2.0 petrol in the Discovery is a disgrace in my books.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 10:02   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Many Land Rover & Range Rover models lose their diesel engines; petrol only!

They might as well say goodbye to over half their sales! This is a shocking lack of homework by Land Rover / Range Rover . In these expensive cars, BS6 compliance is actually very easy because the cost of AdBlue treatment can easily be added to the car's cost. Mercedes started selling some BS6 cars a year ago!

The diesels were beautiful and Indian SUV owners love torquey diesels in their big SUVs. Some of the petrol offerings will not only be gas guzzlers, but also relatively under-powered. Advantage = Germans.

On the bright side, Land Rover knows this all too well. Just a matter of time before they reintroduce the diesels. But again, the delay & poor preparation are shocking.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 10:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Many Land Rover & Range Rover models lose their diesel engines; petrol only!

I thought only the Indian market focussed manufacturers like Tata and Suzuki messed up the BS6 transition. I am surprised to see even Landrover in that list. How difficult is it for international manufacturers to make the diesel complaint? Aren't they already complying with even more strict regulations in Europe? Or is BS6 more stringent than all these Euro-spec regulations?

The only reason that I can think of is the changes required in the plants in case of India manufactured models. But most of these models are CBU anyway.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 11:09   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I thought only the Indian market focussed manufacturers like Tata and Suzuki messed up the BS6 transition. I am surprised to see even Landrover in that list. How difficult is it for international manufacturers to make the diesel complaint? Aren't they already complying with even more strict regulations in Europe? Or is BS6 more stringent than all these Euro-spec regulations?
No BSVI isn't any more stringent than Euro6.
Off topic, I think Tata didn't botch up their BSVI transition. They had their line-up prepared well in time. Altroz, Nexon & Harrier, all were available in diesel avatars well before the cut-off date. The decision to stop diesel in the lower segment of entry hatchbacks & sub4m notchbacks seems to be correct. Their unenthusiastic small diesel in the Tiago/Tigor wasn't setting sales charts on fire at all and majority sales in these segments have moved to petrol with the sunset of the 1.3 MJD. The cost difference of a diesel engine is not really justifiable or quickly recoverable compared with a cheaper petrol car in these segments.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 11:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
No BSVI isn't any more stringent than Euro6.
Off topic, I think Tata didn't botch up their BSVI transition.
They did get most of the things right. I was thinking about the Varicor 400 fiasco where they had to take a break to get it BS6 certified. Sorry for the OT. Let's go back to JLR.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 16:56   #14
BHPian

I had extensively driven the Range Rover Velar, in the P250 guise. With 4 people on board, and with shooting equipment's in the boot, I was surprised with the pulling capability of the Velar. It was flawless and effortless to drive even on the ghat sections of Lonavala as we headed towards tiger point for the shoot.

Adding, two pictures that I shot that day...

How can you not fall in love with that gorgeous front
Many Land Rover & Range Rover models lose their diesel engines; petrol only!-img_4056.jpg

Rear, to some eyes may look bland
Many Land Rover & Range Rover models lose their diesel engines; petrol only!-img_4088.jpg

While it is true that the SUV's need to have raw pulling power, which comes from the Diesels, but in Velar as well as Evoque, I found them adequate and punchy enough, and considering LandRover's legendary handling capabilities, I thoroughly enjoyed behind the wheel. The Velar was able to keep me involved at all the times.

PS- I am contemplating, picking up the Discovery Sport in Petrol Guise, soon, as an added car to my garage.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 2nd June 2020 at 05:34. Reason: Removing link to external website.
sawnilrules is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 07:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

Agreed that a 2l diesel is the gold standard for performance and efficiency compromise, but for the Land Rover stable's average kerb weight and most of it's clientele being self driven, some engine option oomph wouldn't hurt. Not for illegal speed, but in-gear acceleration and overtaking. Would be a pity to be smoked by a well driven Figo diesel or an Innova 2.8 ( good grief that's discontinued too)

Hope this is just a minor period for BS6 and Covid-19 excuses.

They should bring the 2.0l diesels and develop diesel versions of the i6 ingenium engines, and bring it to India ASAP.
Let's get real, where have you seen an innova or a figo do a 0 to 100 in 8.6 seconds? Btw the slowest in the landrover family is the 2.0 liter diesel 180 ps. Every other landrover with a higher spec has better performance figures. The only issue with the petrols is single digit fuel economy. The discovery sport already gets a BS6 diesel now, and it may be a matter of time before it's bigger cousins get their diesels back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks