Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2020, 12:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe spotted in Pune

The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe has been spotted testing in Pune.

BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe spotted in Pune-2020bmw2seriesgrancoupespiedindia6.jpg

The test car is equipped with the M Sport kit. It has a sportier front bumper with larger air vents, side skirts and twin exhausts. The twin kidney grille is flanked by sweptback headlamps that have twin LED daytime running lights.

BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe spotted in Pune-2020bmw2seriesgrancoupespiedindia4.jpg

The 2 Series Gran Coupe has a sloping roofline with a shark fin antenna on top. The test mule is riding on 5-spoke alloy wheels that are shod with low profile tyres and has an emissions testing kit mounted at the rear.

BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe spotted in Pune-2020bmw2seriesgrancoupespiedindia7.jpg

In India, the 2 Series Gran Coupe is likely to be offered with two engine options. These include a 2.0-litre petrol producing 189 BHP and 280 Nm and a 2.0-litre diesel with 187 BHP and 400 Nm. Both engines are expected to get an 8-speed automatic transmission.

BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe spotted in Pune-2020bmw2seriesgrancoupespiedindia3.jpg

The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe will compete with the Mercedes A Class Limousine in the Indian market.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st June 2020 at 05:30. Reason: Corrected to 5 spoke alloys.
TusharK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 12:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe spotted in Pune

Totally ugh looks and FWD to boot. I'd prefer the Mercedes A sedan in this range.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 12:46   #3
BANNED

Considering it's size and value proposition this is at best someone's second/third car. The G20 3 series is large enough to be a family car while this is sized like a notchback which won't fit with the brand that BMW is perceived as in India which is luxury more than sporting intent
Nikhildrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 15:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe has been spotted testing in Pune.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
Oh! Boy, looks like some Indian Jugaad at work.
No matter how big company you are, if you are in India, you do get the taste of it
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe spotted in Pune-screenshot_20200531143152.jpg
Seems like stock exhaust system is routed through externally attached exhaust flow measurement equipment kept in the boot.

When abroad, car companies have totally different work scenario.BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe spotted in Pune-screenshot_20200531143801.jpg
gjnnbagal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 00:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnnbagal View Post
Oh! Boy, looks like some Indian Jugaad at work.
Since the car is in Pune, I assume this is ARAI test equipment. BMW doesn't need to do emissions test for their engines/cars in India they must have already done it abroad. This must be for homologation purposes.
quickdraw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 11:42   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Not able to like it's dimensions & silhouette. And that's a feeling I rarely get about any BMW cars (SUVs is a different thing ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Since the car is in Pune, I assume this is ARAI test equipment. BMW doesn't need to do emissions test for their engines/cars in India they must have already done it abroad. This must be for homologation purposes.
Won't the car have to be tested by ARAI for BSVI compliance, fuel efficiency rating certification etc for clearance to sell in India? Having done emissions tests abroad has no value to BSVI compliance tests (and that's a good thing).
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 12:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Won't the car have to be tested by ARAI for BSVI compliance, fuel efficiency rating certification etc for clearance to sell in India? Having done emissions tests abroad has no value to BSVI compliance tests (and that's a good thing).
Reinhard, I believe cars do have to be tested by ARAI for BSVI compliance & fuel efficiency before the start of sales in our country even if they are certified for Euro6 Compliance.
Personally, I feel that the 2 Series Gran Coupe's design is a love it or hate it design and I don't like it. The rear end is a bit too stubby and ungainly for my liking. It has no resemblance at all to the M2 and is based on the ULK2 Crossover platform.

Here is a review of the BMW M235i Gran Coupe -
akash_v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 15:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Not able to like it's dimensions & silhouette. And that's a feeling I rarely get about any BMW cars (SUVs is a different thing ).
This was in response to Gjjnabi who mentioned Jugaad, I said that the equipment is likely ARAI hence more logical that it is jugaad vs BMW who must have already done this testing for their vehicle and now only the Indian agency needs to confirm it for India.
Old 2nd June 2020, 12:46   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't have as much of a problem with its design. Might give BMW India volumes and a much-needed shot in the arm. It will be much cheaper than the 3-Series. The FWD is a put-off in this segment, but the target market won't be too bothered. It's longer than a Honda City, so its not too small, and I sure hope BMW has improved on its usually abysmal packaging skills. I won't trust existing media reviews on rear seat comments as they even called my cramped F10 (with the thick front seats) as "spacious". Going by pictures, there is a serious lack of rear headroom, while legroom is limited. The 3-cylinder petrol seems yuck on paper, let's see if it can match the diesel in real life.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 19:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

BMW India is all set to introduce the new 2-Series Gran Coupe in India, expected to launch around Diwali season.

BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe spotted in Pune-smartselect_20200809191455_chrome.jpg

https://gaadiwaadi.com/bmw-2-series-...estive-season/
Old 29th September 2020, 15:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

BMW is set to launch the 2-Series in India on 15th October

BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe spotted in Pune-img_20200929_152125.jpg

Source: Autocar India
akash_v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 15:39   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe, the brand’s smallest four-door, will be launched in India on October 15, 2020.

2 Series Gran Coupe will be locally assembled in India.
Will be launched with a 2.0-litre diesel good for 190hp.
Petrol version also on the cards for a later launch.
What is the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe and what will it rival in India?

To be positioned below the 3 Series, the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé will take on the upcoming Mercedes-Benz A-class sedan and the Audi A3 sedan in our market. The 2 Series Gran Coupe is built on a front-wheel-drive platform and shares its underpinnings with the BMW X1 SUV.

The 2 Series Gran Coupe gets BMW's latest styling treatment inside out and is a slightly low-slung four door with a sloping roof and attractive pillar-less doors. At the rear, the sloping roof means headroom isn’t quite as much as you’d get in a more conventionally shaped sedan, but legroom is pretty decent for a car of this size.

BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe size

The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupé measures 4,526mm – making it 23mm shorter than the upcoming Mercedes-Benz A-class Limousine. It is wider at 1,800mm, with the rear interior at 143cm compared to the Mercedes' 137cm. The 2-series Gran Coupe however, at 2,670mm, gets a shorter wheelbase than the Mercedes that measures 2,729mm between the wheels. The BMW also gets a decent sized 430-litre boot, although some of that space could be eaten into by the spare tyre in the India-spec car.

BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe engines

BMW will launch the 2 Series Gran Coupe with a 190hp, 2.0-litre diesel engine and the model will be called BMW 220d Gran Coupe. The petrol-powered 220i Gran Coupe is expected to join the line-up a little later, with a 192hp, 2.0-litre turbo-petrol engine.

BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe price in India

The BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe’s prices in India are likely to start around Rs 35 lakh with prices for the top-of-the-line variants going up to about Rs 38 lakh (ex-showroom).

Source: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...15-2020-418745
CEF_Beasts is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 16:14   #13
BHPian

I don’t have any issues with the looks and like the same. BMW needs to package this well and position as a family car with young children - rear seat space and boot-space will be key.

Good for someone who will buy Honda City / Verna and has more money to spend on the brand.
pk1972 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 11:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't have as much of a problem with its design. Might give BMW India volumes and a much-needed shot in the arm. It will be much cheaper than the 3-Series. The FWD is a put-off in this segment, but the target market won't be too bothered. It's longer than a Honda City, so its not too small, and I sure hope BMW has improved on its usually abysmal packaging skills. I won't trust existing media reviews on rear seat comments as they even called my cramped F10 (with the thick front seats) as "spacious". Going by pictures, there is a serious lack of rear headroom, while legroom is limited.
I do agree with you on most of the points, yet I fail to see how this will work. Assuming this is hardly bigger than a Honda City, nor does it have the "style" of the CLA/A class limo. Let's see how this transpires

Quote:
The 3-cylinder petrol seems yuck on paper, let's see if it can match the diesel in real life.
With due respects, I don't think BMW will offer it with their 1.5L B38 3 pot. We will get the same 2.0L B48 4 pot used in other locally assembled BMWs like the 3 series, X1 and 5 series among others
Old 6th October 2020, 13:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

BMW 2 Series Grand Coupe pre launch bookings open, interested customers will have to pay ₹50,000 to reserve the car and will be entitled to a number of benefits if such bookings are made before the official launch date of October 16. Offer valid till 15th October 2020, 12PM.

BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe spotted in Pune-20201006_125726.jpg

Quote:
BMW, in a press release, announced that the 2 Series Gran Coupe is available for booking on its India website and customers who reserve the car before the official launch will also receive a Taj Experiences Gift Card worth ₹50,000. This can be redeemed for multiple transactions on stay, holiday packages, dining, spa, among others while customers can choose from Taj, SeleQtions and Vivanta Hotels and Ama Stays & Trails.
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...968374522.html

Last edited by Venkatesh : 6th October 2020 at 13:09.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks