Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2020, 13:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Fortuner BS6 prices hiked by Rs 48,000

Toyota has hiked the prices of the Fortuner BS6. The SUV is now priced from Rs. 28.66 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Toyota Fortuner BS6 prices hiked by Rs 48,000-fortuner-price-hike.jpg

The BS6-compliant Fortuner was introduced in February 2020. But, at the time launch, Toyota did not update the prices and was offering the SUV at old BS4 prices. Prices have now gone up by Rs. 48,000.

The Fortuner BS6 is available with two engine options. These include a 2.7-litre four-cylinder petrol engine that produces 164 BHP @ 5,200 rpm and 245 Nm @ 4,000 rpm. The engine is mated to either a 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission.

The second engine option is a 2.8-litre diesel that makes 175 BHP @ 3,400 rpm and 420-450 Nm depending on the choice of transmission. It is available with either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic gearbox.

Variant-wise ex-showroom prices:

Petrol

4X2 MT - Rs. 28,66,000
4X2 AT - Rs. 30,25,000

Diesel

4X2 MT - Rs. 30,67,000
4X2 AT - Rs. 32,53,000
4X4 MT - Rs. 32,64,000
4X4 AT - Rs. 34,43,000

Thanks to Sanchay for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Fortuner BS6 prices hiked by Rs 48,000

Isn't Toyota planning to launch updated Fortuner soon? There will for sure be another price hike with that. I know Toyota did not hike price when they updated to BS6 but another couple of hikes and Fortuner will be carrying 50lac price tag I still recall reading magazine back in 2010 where they were claiming Fortuner to be priced around 15-18 lac on road.
PrideRed is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 17:26   #3
BHPian

Unjustified price hike for an already overpriced SUV. As long as there is no real competition and people are willing to payup, Toyota can keep hiking the price just like they did for Innova. After all they need to make up for the loss of Yaris !
Superleggera is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 17:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Isn't Toyota planning to launch updated Fortuner soon? There will for sure be another price hike with that. I know Toyota did not hike price when they updated to BS6 but another couple of hikes and Fortuner will be carrying 50lac price tag I still recall reading magazine back in 2010 where they were claiming Fortuner to be priced around 15-18 lac on road.
Well we bought this mighty elephant in 2011 for around 22.5 Lac on road. Prices of car in general have touched the sky. Heck for 20 big ones we get a car from Creta/Seltos territory today. With new Fortuner around, top end will easily cross 42 lac on road

Last edited by BlackPearl : 2nd June 2020 at 19:43. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
karan0009 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 19:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I was laughing out aloud in my mind just now at the on-road price of 42 lacs for this mighty car. I prefer to buy used and to practise austerity to the extent that my situation needs me to. So, even to be able to comfortably buy one of these used, I'd have to pick 15 year old examples that are due for Fitness Certification.

Typically, cars lose 40% of their value in 3 years and will cost ~40 to 50% of their original value at the 5 year mark. A 5 year old Toyota Fortuner such as listed here may hence cost 20 lacs in the future! A 10 year old example will cost anywhere between 12 to 18 lacs. In order for me to stick to my self-imposed 10 lac limit on car purchases, I just don't see myself buying anything other than 12 to 15 year old examples of the above - if I ever wanted one.

This is what the Indian automotive market has come to. I mean, it's not just Toyota; even the humble Swift costs you nearly 10 lacs new these days. If you have a car already - I reckon you'd be rich if you held on to it till your next generation is ready to drive.
locusjag is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 20:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Typically, cars lose 40% of their value in 3 years and will cost ~40 to 50% of their original value at the 5 year mark. A 5 year old Toyota Fortuner such as listed here may hence cost 20 lacs in the future! A 10 year old example will cost anywhere between 12 to 18 lacs. In order for me to stick to my self-imposed 10 lac limit on car purchases, I just don't see myself buying anything other than 12 to 15 year old examples of the above - if I ever wanted one.
Unfortunately, this theory does not apply to the Toyota's, which is why IMHO they are getting away with the steep price hikes. Toyota are playing a very clever game. By upping the price at every opportunity they are ensuring the price of used cars doesn't dwindle. This creates a false sense of investment to the customer(or would rather say a Toyota loyalist). And hence the customer would return back to purchase another Innova/Fortuner.

I still see people buying used Innova's at prices they were retailing almost a decade back. Not that the car or engine is bullet-proof after a few years of use. It's purely the brand value and word of mouth. Because, I would still assume that any properly engineered car serviced at 5k interval should match the Toyota's w.r.t reliability.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 20:09   #7
BHPian

The thing is even before the price hike, Fortuner was costlier than Endeavour BS6 and now with this hike the difference will be nearly 1.5-2L until Ford decide to increase their profit margin. That too with less creature comfort like no android auto, less impressive audio, sunroof etc. While the facelifted Fortuner will probably address these, another round of price hike is inevitable when it will come. So much for the Toyota brand value and reliability. Endeavour looks some much value for money now. Only if Ford was more committed to India never thought of leaving its operations to relatively unreliable M&M.

Last edited by Carpainter : 2nd June 2020 at 20:11.
Carpainter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 20:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Because, I would still assume that any properly engineered car serviced at 5k interval should match the Toyota's w.r.t reliability.
Hyundai probably matches the Toyota levels of reliability. No Indian manufacturer, for sure is close to the reliability of Toyota.

Randomly pick 10 Tata or Mahindra that has run 1 lakh km and compare that to 10 randomly picked 1 lakh km run Toyotas. The average number of service center visits even with Toyota's 5K service intervals will still be lower than the equivalent Tatas and Mahindras. Don't get distracted by the one-off instances of niggle free ride, consistency is what makes Toyota different.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 2nd June 2020 at 20:39.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 21:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why this is such a hotly debated thing here. The Fortuner is simply the king of the hill in the segment. The cost of ownership is low, simply put, you lose very little by way of depreciation, the biggest loss in car ownership. A resale is easy and maintenance is near hatch levels, tyre life is good and its tough as nails.

It would be my only option if I could get to that segment/price point. The competition isn't so compelling and whatever you save on price you'll lose in depreciation. The Fortuner is priced about the same level as it was on the day it came, 20 lakhs in 2011 is 35 lakhs today, if anything Toyota has not increased prices but inflation has certainly messed with our earnings. I have run a punto for 9 years and counting, pretty sure a Fortuner will last 15 years without breaking a sweat. The Innova is an excellent example of Toyota reliability, in Kerala there are people who will not consider another vehicle, 5 lakh km run cars just refuse to die. Not a squeak or rattle either.
avira_tk is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 09:09   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Fortuner BS6 prices hiked by Rs 48,000

Going against the tide here. I'll say that the 48k hike is fair for the full BS6 AdBlue treatment (although I would've preferred something like 30k). All that additional hardware does cost money.

On the other hand, is the Fortuner overpriced by a bit? I absolutely think so. It wouldn't be my no.1 choice in the segment (that would be the Endeavour) or even the no.2 (I'd pick the Carnival over the Fortuner).
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 09:22   #11
BHPian

Good luck to BS6 diesel owners cleaning soot out of DPF (which will magnify while driving in congested city traffic) and managing two filler caps in the fuel door!

Any idea what is the price of DEF/AdBlue fluid? TATA & Mahindra have priced their own branded DEF at Rs ~50-55/l and needs to be refilled every 8000-10000 kms.
Old 3rd June 2020, 09:37   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
and managing two filler caps in the fuel door!
Any idea what is the price of DEF/AdBlue fluid? TATA & Mahindra have priced their own branded DEF at Rs ~50-55/l and needs to be refilled every 8000-10000 kms.
If you consider the implementation by Toyota, the DEF should be filled somewhere between 9000-12000kms which means its mainly done during service. Hence, contrary to what you say, we dont have to manage the DEF. AFAIK it will add to around 600 rupees of expense every service, which is not a big deal IMO. You are running a smoke free car with hardly any hit to the mileage or power. Regarding DPF, I will hold my thoughts since we havent seen how it will fare. But given how conservative these Toyotas are tuned here, I havent seen an Innova Crysta smoking in its BS4 avatar, and should not put much load on the DPF unless driven hard in traffic conditions.
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hence, contrary to what you say, we dont have to manage the DEF. AFAIK it will add to around 600 rupees of expense every service, which is not a big deal IMO. You are running a smoke free car with hardly any hit to the mileage or power. Regarding DPF, I will hold my thoughts since we havent seen how it will fare. But given how conservative these Toyotas are tuned here, I havent seen an Innova Crysta smoking in its BS4 avatar, and should not put much load on the DPF unless driven hard in traffic conditions.
I agree with you regarding DEF, in fact that's what I figured as it needs to be filled at regular service intervals. But people still run out of it, have seen many users in some other forums mentioning the same. And you can't store DEF as it has an expiry date (max. 1 yr storage in decent conditions). Of course, I am talking more about pick-up and CV owners, remains to be seen what city dwellers face.

However, DPF clogging will be a major issue in city traffic. BS6 norms have reduced PM by a whopping 80% in diesels so the soot coming out of a BS4 Innova was actually quite a lot and needs to be cut down by the DPF.

On the highways, with higher exhaust temps, it is managed by the ECM through passive regen. However, in city traffic with stop go conditions, crawling in jams, it will create DPF choking problems more often for the owner. And cleaning the DPF is not as easy as changing oil, you need equipment and have to crawl under the vehicle, open the instrumentation ports etc.

Though as mentioned, it remains to be seen how BS6 diesel vehicles actually behave in our conditions.
Old 3rd June 2020, 14:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Isn't Toyota planning to launch updated Fortuner soon? There will for sure be another price hike with that. I know Toyota did not hike price when they updated to BS6.
Looks like they're setting up the stage for facelift launch. Probably soon Toyota will announce discounts & special edition models for existing Fortuner. 48K price hike now will help then to give 'huge' discounts later. I'm not surprised to see 1-1.5L discounts on existing Fortuner anytime soon, Which will help them to push sales and clear inventory till the next festive season.
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 11:06   #15
BANNED

There is only one medicine for Toyota to get back on their feet. It is called consumer resistance. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned about resale and how the Fortuner and Innova do not depreciate much. Even this can be attributed to consumer resistance. As long as there are buyers who blindly pay whatever is asked - be it new or used; this will continue.

Coming to the reliability part; I definitely agree that Toyota is a synonym for quality. The reason for that is preventive maintenance. A good percentage of Toyota owners be it private or commercial; get their vehicles serviced at Toyota ASS. Get any vehicle checked up or serviced once in 6 months and adhere to the service schedule and I would say the chances of breakdown or any such reliability issue will seldom occur. Even humble Indicas coming from a brand that is bashed to the core can do upwards of 4L kms if looked after and driven well.

Lastly, to the best of my knowledge, maintaining a Innova or Fortuner is no where near 'hatchback' levels unless it is Mercedez Benz A class A simple example I can think of is an Innova's (pre-crysta) plain ORVM mirror lens alone (not heated) costs 2000/- plus labor and taxes.

PS: This is just my view as I am certainly not someone who would pay 31L for an Innova, 45L for a Fortuner (top trims) and 6L for a 15 year old 4th owner Innova with 2L+ kms on the odo.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed