Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2020, 10:50   #91
BHPian

Re: Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km

Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km-20200825_085643.jpg
Finally saw this ad from Maruti in today's Times of India. I was planning to start a new thread when I stumbled upon this existing thread.

Something makes my blood boil. All these years they have been selling diesels from Peugeot and Fiat in their cars. They made money selling other peoples' diesel engines in their featherweight, tin foil cars. At that time, they claimed, their diesels were the most fuel efficient and the most economical cars in the country. The only diesel they built 'in house' - a 2 cylinder for the Celerio which they later glued together for the Ciaz!

Now they have no more diesels in their line up. They have no suppliers, so they cannot milk their customers with 'their' diesels anymore. Wonder what happened to their 'in house' diesel. I find it hard to believe their move to 'petrols only' has anything to do with their love for the environment. The suppliers must have realised they are dealing with a company with no ethics. Good for them. I hope the customers too realise this soon enough.

So, all of a sudden, 4 out of 5 people save more with a petrol than a diesel? I know these are games these corporates play to woo unsuspecting customers to their tin foils. But that makes no difference to me. It annoys me no end when I see such unethical stuff from these corporates.

What about all those people who are still driving Maruti diesels today? Maruti is indirectly telling them that they are lunatics to be driving their diesels?
SCORPION is offline   (99) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 13:09   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post

Something makes my blood boil. All these years they have been selling diesels from Peugeot and Fiat in their cars. They made money selling other peoples' diesel engines in their featherweight, tin foil cars. At that time, they claimed, their diesels were the most fuel efficient and the most economical cars in the country. The only diesel they built 'in house' - a 2 cylinder for the Celerio which they later glued together for the Ciaz!

Now they have no more diesels in their line up. They have no suppliers, so they cannot milk their customers with 'their' diesels anymore. Wonder what happened to their 'in house' diesel. I find it hard to believe their move to 'petrols only' has anything to do with their love for the environment. The suppliers must have realised they are dealing with a company with no ethics. Good for them. I hope the customers too realise this soon enough.

They can continue with such antics when their nearest competition Hyundai-Kia will manage 20000+ numbers from Diesel variants of Venue-Seltos-Creta-Sonet in coming months. They seriously dont have any answers to products above Baleno-Swift-Brezza category and they may end up being the 'Hero motocorp' of 4 wheeler segment, relying only on mass market products and extensive dealer network in the coming future with such mindset and attitude.
Turbokick is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 13:23   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This is what happens when a company does not possess strong corporate ethics and has weak leadership. They will sway in the direction of the wind every time, as long as it makes them profitable. Not a single market-leading action from Maruti all these years that they were market leaders! Despite being number 2, Hyundai is behaving like a market leader, just look at a few of the things they have been up to in the last 12 months:
  • Hyundai have introduced class-leading diesels with modest price increases for BS6 upgrades.
  • They have introduced turbo-petrols and DCT transmissions to the mainstream market.
  • They have introduced first in market innovations like the IMT transmission
  • They have their sister company Kia to enter into entirely new segments like full-size MPVs

Now the wind is blowing against Maruti and all they can do is negative advertising to discredit the products of their competitors while they could have been leading innovation and differentiation in the market for the last 15 years when they were in dominant position.
84.monsoon is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 21:22   #94

Quote:
Attachment 2047384

Being an owner of two Maruti diesels and fairly satisfied with them, i find this whole ad campaign mocking me. If at all, this has helped me make up my mind to not step in a MS showroom for a purchase ever.
sahil1010 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 00:31   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil1010 View Post
Being an owner of two Maruti diesels and fairly satisfied with them, i find this whole ad campaign mocking me.
Maruti has been pretty cheeky from the past decade, the only reason they are still number one is because of their die-hard fanbase.

- India doesn't need safer cars (sure there are more unsafe cars apart from Maruti), was that point necessary to be made out loud?

-Taxi kyun lena (today Ciaz, Dzire old and new, Swift, Brezza are all used as taxis, not to mention WagonRs as Mumbai black-yellow).

- Don't buy diesel (for a brand that was spruiking diesels for a decade and sold maybe 2 million of them), diesel was the defacto choice or availability in test drives even.

Now what? Make safer, more solid cars and rain insults over the existing 10+ million customers by saying why buy unsafe cars?

Very few of the the old guard monopolies in India exist today, BSNL was demolished and I was very happy, same with Indian Airlines, Tata Salt etc. About time Maruti joins the ranks, they will get a rude wake up call and not be so bureaucratic and cheeky when they become no.2. Not gonna happen though.

Last edited by dark.knight : 26th August 2020 at 00:33.
dark.knight is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 07:16   #96
BHPian

I am surprised by people being shocked, stunned, insulted or surprised by these comments of Suzuki. They are not selling Diesel because Suzuki and their Japanese Brethren have decided Diesel is not the future. They are investing in relevant EVs and Hybrids where Suzuki is starting from zero. Since Suzuki Ertiga in early 2019, there had not been a single Suzuki Global product launch for 1.5 years and probably not in next 1 year as well. Suzuki is in dire straits looking at the future and have focused their resources on powertrains and technologies of the future. Whether the strategy works out or not is to be seen. I do not think people realise the huge upheaval that will be caused by upcoming CAFE and RDE regulations. We may very well see Suzuki sink and disappear without a trace given their historical weakness in R&D.
I think they made a miscalculation about viability of Diesel and are having to make marketing campaigns to justify the same. That is all this is. Added to the same the increased prices of Diesel, and Suzuki has the tools to weave a campaign which is not far off from the truth but is not driven by care for the customer but by self preservation.
Suzuki might be a big player in India but globally it's a very small company with very limited resources.
Carma2017 is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 08:39   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Suzuki has the tools to weave a campaign which is not far off from the truth but is not driven by care for the customer but by self preservation.
Suzuki might be a big player in India but globally it's a very small company with very limited resources.
Agree with what is being said but when one doesn't have something with them and keep talking ill of it, it looks like sour grapes. Particularly when they have had that product in their past.

Suzuki has been brilliant in tying up with Toyota since the latter has way more experience in EV, Hybrid technology. But I think it has come very late. They should have had a replacement for diesel when they stopped selling one.

They have a proper hybrid for the Swift but refuse to bring it here and give Indians the milder version which isn't giving any benefit to the customer. Also two products have gone from Suzuki stables to Toyota but there has been no influence of Toyota in Suzuki's lineup either of cars nor powertrain/transmission.

I think their Diesel crusade would hold water if they have a hybrid with them, till then have to bite the tongue and bear it. The comments will not stop since they are the biggest player in the country.
SchumiFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 08:45   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
At this rate, I won't be surprised if Maruti comes up with cars without doors and roof and back it with calculator in which it will show significant fuel savings due to weight reduction.
Add seat belts to the list and one would be more safer in it. In a crash, you'll get thrown out of the car and may well survive, instead of getting crushed in the tin foil. Just noticed how the perennial word 'tin-can' to describe Maruti has turned into a newly coined term tin-foil

If not for the govt mandate, Maruti would still have been happily selling cars without ABS and given a chance seat belts too. If there's one manufacturer who's sitting on past glory, it's Maruti. They're not market leaders, they're the market 'dealers' !

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 27th August 2020 at 08:54. Reason: MORE FRUSTRATIONS ADDED !
Bibendum90949 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 10:28   #99
Senior - BHPian

Maruti's claims just like the safety ratings of its tin cans need to be taken with salt as standard. Yes, their BS6 petrol models have high mileage but what about their BS3 and BS4 petrols, do they also give 20+ ac kms/litres on highway ?

When they make such claims they should clarify that they are talking of their latest models and not a comparison with their past models.
lurker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 20:09   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2047384
Finally saw this ad from Maruti in today's Times of India. I was planning to start a new thread when I stumbled upon this existing thread.
This was in today's Hindustan Times also. And i was so pissed off seeing this.

First, they sell the DDiS engine from Fiat in their shitty tin cars and made money out of someone else's work.
People spending their hard earned money on the brand just because of its reliability and they return them with more lighter cars with each generation. No safety assurance.

Then they refuse to send their tins to the GNCAP just because they didn't want people to know about the truth.

And now, the engine that made them sell , raising an opposite point just to compensate their lower sales which have been affected by them not providing diesel, C'mon this is just disgusting and pitiful to see not for the professionality of their profession but due to betrayal of their existing diesel customers.

I wonder if there would be the DDiS owners who wouldn't be angry as hell after seeing this. You have lost your god damn respect Maruti even more so after doing this.
chiefpk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 22:20   #101
BHPian

I have seen the ad too, now, my problem with Maruti is not their rant about "diesel is bad" it has to do with their unwillingness to upgrade safety features in their cars. Now, who does not have a Maruti in their family or have not driven Maruti cars for countless kilometers in different conditions? My brother owns a Celerio ZXi and a Swift ZDi, so one petrol and one diesel, now coming to the point, whenever I do car purchase I never even considered Maruti only because of their scarce safety features. It was good to have two air bags in a 2005 car, it was an acceptable safety feature in 2010 and in 2020 they are still giving two airbags and they are unable to crack that to anything more. It's like Maruti mantra is, a car should have 4 wheels and 2 airbags, we are not gonna fiddle with that. After selling 20 million cars with diesel engines they are saying it is bad now? You should see the look on my brothers face when I showed him the ad.

Another interesting incident I encountered recently, I was at a friend's place and his dad owns a 98 Zen Automatic! I had no idea they offered Zen Automatic, that too in 98. I asked him how many gears and he said "Three". He also said in the early '80s they had Maruti 800 two gear AT. So after 22 years down the lane, they have come so far...with one more gear? A 4 speed AT in 2020, seriously? Looking at the history, in 2030 they will offer 5 speed AT. Let's not even talk about build quality, AMT and other stuff.

Now, whoever wants to buy a diesel car, they will buy diesels, there are countless discussions and threads on Team-BHP alone regarding this matter, I have said this before, and I will say this again, as long as combustion engines are produced, diesels are here to stay.
jonesanto is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 23:46   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I think their Diesel crusade would hold water if they have a hybrid with them, till then have to bite the tongue and bear it. The comments will not stop since they are the biggest player in the country.
That is what Suzuki has actually planned. Their sole aim is to meet CAFE and RDE norms. So, from their marriage with Toyota, they will be getting hybrids as well. These hybrids would be coming 2022 onwards at the earliest. I guess having realised their mistake, they will be back with Diesels as well by then. Looking at the mass market of mere mortals, 80% population are going for petrols / CNG due to high cost of diesel. Die hard Diesel fans, as mentioned by someone in this chain, will definitely go for a Diesel vehicle irrespective of cost.
Carma2017 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 22:32   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

They are now airing a stupid TVC on similar thought:

Eagerly waiting for the day they come with a BS6 diesel.
Leoshashi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 23:01   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
They are now airing a stupid TVC on similar thought:

The catchphrase is "calculate KIA kya"

Come 18 September, KIA will show you how the calculation is done.
RaghuVis is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 23:19   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
They will advertise it as the epitome of FE and hence the payback period will be a fraction of what it is currently.
Eddy is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks