Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2020, 12:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km

Sounds like a disgruntled lover trying to spread false information about the ex. Just a few months back they were selling Diesels in every category possible, sold them for a decade and half with the Swift's and what not and suddenly Diesels are a bad economic choice eh.

They would be making even bigger fools of themselves if they start launching diesels later in the year in every category possible. Someone has not thought this through at all, Maruti seems to be loosing its sense of 'desh ki dhadkan'.
humyum is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 12:33   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Sounds like a disgruntled lover trying to spread false information about the ex.

It will be fun to see how they eat their own words and come up with a diesel later this year. I'm sure there will be some PR talk about how market demand forced them to bring back the diesels.

Swift with that sweet 1.5 Diesel will be awesome to drive IMO.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 12:33   #48
BHPian

Now, can all the MS Diesel car owners sue them for cheating and misleading them into buying a Diesel ?
Old 6th June 2020, 12:51   #49
BHPian

Where was this logic when their tin cans with diesel hearts were selling like hot cakes? If they are beginning to act like this, the public should sue them for misleading buyers into buying their diesel vehicles in the past years, with whatever benefits they described as unmatchable at that time.

All in all this is just proof that they do not respect other manufacturers, they want all of the Indian jantas' money and they want to have a monopoly and they will stoop to any level to achieve that. Shame on them.

Sorry for you Maruti, it might be hard to accept. But other car makers are way ahead of you in technology, quality, perfection and product portfolio, which is why they don't have to throw sand in the consumer's eyes like you have done here. Look at them and try to play fair (If you can).
alphahere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 13:08   #50
BHPian

The scene has changed drastically post COVID19 and with the introduction of BS6 norms. First it was an uphill climb to get to BS6 compliance and now with the world economy in gray, it has become difficult to move stuff from the showroom floor. Maruti had probably devised this clever campaign to lure the diesel biased customers to their floor.
Wonder what were these smart alecs doing when Maruti spent years to design and develop their in-house BS4 diesel engine? Genuine case of flawed planning?
Old 6th June 2020, 13:29   #51
BHPian

Re: Maruti may do a U-turn on plan to ditch diesel, diesel re-entry likely in 2021

Assuming a scenario of Diesel fuel costing more than Petrol, I would still go for a Diesel Engined vehicle, just to enjoy the massive low-end torque and the driving ease it permits, particularly in city traffic. And, not to mention, the 1000Km range it permits me on a tank-full.
Maruti got it dead wrong this time, and are only rolling in the mud with such misleading adverts.
KANNURAN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 13:45   #52
BHPian

In most scenarios, this is what I would call a marketing murder.

The only thing they are doing here in alienating their most loyal customers, the ones who will now go to their garage see their 5 year old Swift DDI and start calculating, that's really not how you treat your biggest backers. They were hardly able to justify the diesel car purchase to their wives and now you go and advertise this.
armaan_singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 14:24   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Came across this AD on Facebook

So what will MS say when they launch BS6 diesel next year?
I'm sure a lot of Indians will fall for this ad. There's a lot of thought behind this ad from Maruti's marketers - they are keen on ensuring that they won't fall behind in sales before they launch their own diesels. And this campaign will succeed - I saw this ad as a forward in several whatsapp groups. For some strange reason, everything Maruti touches turns to gold except Kizashi of course, which was a decent car btw.
JojyKerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 14:26   #54
BHPian

Companies will advertise to their strengths always, I don't see anything wrong in what Maruti Suzuki has done. They know that some people might switch to other manufacturers for diesel models missing in MSIL's stables. So they are trying to lure them in with their ads . Its standard practice across many companies across all sectors.

Virgin Atlantic once used to operate Airbus A340s with four engines, and the competitors were switching to twin-engined Boeing 777-300ERs. So they had a byline on their plane saying "4 engines 4 longhaul". Later on they moved to all twin-engined fleet themselves.

Companies try to increase sales and revenue by pushing their current products, not past or future ones. When new things come along in future (diesel BS-VI engines), they will switch to ads extolling them.

Also, diesel is taxed less than petrol in India, a "subsidy" in a different form. If they had same amount of taxes as petrol, the prices would be hardly different from each other, like in many other countries.
sanchari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 16:06   #55
BHPian

Re: Maruti may do a U-turn on plan to ditch diesel, diesel re-entry likely in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
Sounds about right. When I was working on the economics of EVs, I had come to a similar number. I took only two parameters into account - fuel expense and EMI one would pay if the car were to be financed 100% at standard 5 year loan rates. Only at about 3500km a month does the premium paid on diesel car is offset by fuel cost savings.
For a diesel car that is a lakh dearer than petrol sibling, additional monthly installment is easily met with the fuel saved due to higher mileage and cheaper cost of fuel.
Old 6th June 2020, 17:54   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
It will be fun to see how they eat their own words and come up with a diesel later this year.
Or is it that they are predicting further delay in converting the 1.5 to BS-6 or some other issue [for further delays], hence all this propaganda to show diesels in poor light?
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 18:59   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Or is it that they are predicting further delay in converting the 1.5 to BS-6 or some other issue [for further delays], hence all this propaganda to show diesels in poor light?
I have a feeling that this is a strategy by Maruti to push all those who are on waiting to buy a Maruti diesel, firmly to their own booking counter today.
- With the economy being as bad as it is, they would likely prefer to take the petrol variant bookings today instead of having those customers wait for 3 - 6 months (Im guessing) before they can book a diesel Maruti. Cash is king right now.
- Also, customers waiting for a few months in these conditions could reconsider a big ticket purchase like a diesel car. Net net, the sale is lost.
- Equally importantly, it will ensure the same customer doesnt get tired of waiting and go to any other brand that has a ready diesel engine in its portfolio today or tomorrow.

This u turn from Maruti does feel like coming back to college after the summer break and finding that the one classmate who used to extol the virtues of the iphone to one and all, suddenly owns the latest android phone instead, which will be justified as better than the iphone in every way possible.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 20:23   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me do a small calculation. When I bought the diesel ciaz, the difference between equivalent petrol variant was 1.25 lakhs on road.

Keeping the difference in fuel prices as Rs.8/litre,
And supposing the actual fuel efficiency difference between petrol and diesel ciaz as 4km per litre.

Petrol ciaz - 14 kmpl
Price per litre - 75 rs
cost per km - 5.3 rs

Diesel ciaz - 18 kmpl
Price per litre - 67 rs
cost per km - 3.7

Then break even comes at 78,200 km of usage. This, without considering the better resale the diesel car would have.
I know all the assumptions are approximate, but we can see how Maruti tried to manipulate customers by making the break-even exaggerated by over 300%!!

Bad move Maruti. I am guessing they won't be selling diesels in the future or are completely incompetent in bs6 conversion.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 6th June 2020 at 20:25.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 20:28   #59
BANNED

This is really a very bad strategy by MSIL. And what kind of calculator is being used by them?? Owners of DDiS are going to break their head.
And what about the launch of BS6 version of 1.5l diesel engine launch scheduled for 2021? I think that the marketing team and research department are not in contact with each other thanks to corona virus global pandemic

Last edited by ampere : 7th June 2020 at 07:12. Reason: fixed typo
Old 6th June 2020, 20:45   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

@Prassanna- Want to see Maruti's calculation on Ciaz Alpha?

I have kept the running as 100kms per day. 5 year loan at 9%, location Bangalore.

Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km-screenshot_20200606204206058_com.android.chrome.jpg
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed