Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2020, 14:40   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km

They know that they will not be having BS-VI diesel engine in the near future and the market for diesel is still not dead.
So the best time to give the gyan now, since they are no longer able to milk the 1.3 DDis anymore.

On a more logical note, we are seeing the Turbo petrols now in our markets which are priced almost on par with that of diesels and I don't think the break-even logic works there.
rajshenoy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 15:05   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Leisure time, I thought of doing some calculations. I selected Vitara Brezza ZXi+ as I'm an owner of ZDi+ Dual Tone. There is no option of Dual Tone variant in the calculator.

Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km-screenshot_20200610144541__01.jpg
My Brezza had cost around Rs. 995000/- 4 years back. So I went ahead with the calculation.

Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km-screenshot_20200610144555__01.jpg
I started off with just 10km per day average run.

Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km-screenshot_20200610144607__01.jpg
Loan amount at 85% with interest at 9% over 7 years. Additional amount paid is Rs.25645 over a period of 7 years, around Rs. 3664 per year or an EMI increase of around 305! (270 as per the figures mentioned here.)

Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km-screenshot_20200610144615__01.jpg
Break even time is 4.7 years. How did they reach the distance figure?

Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km-screenshot_20200610144704__01.jpg
Then I raised my running to 60km.

Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km-screenshot_20200610144716__01.jpg
The break even period came down to 0.8 years with same loan tenure.

I've literally failed to understand the way everything is calculated here. and I request people not to explain this thing. I'm already

When Brezza was launched, it had only diesel option. But now, it's only in petrol option so does this calculator actually mean anything? If a vehicle comes in both engine options like Swift or Dzire or Ertiga, it can be accepted but with single engine options, this is a useless calculator.
BoneCollector is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 15:23   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I've literally failed to understand the way everything is calculated here. and I request people not to explain this thing. I'm already

When Brezza was launched, it had only diesel option. But now, it's only in petrol option so does this calculator actually mean anything? If a vehicle comes in both engine options like Swift or Dzire or Ertiga, it can be accepted but with single engine options, this is a useless calculator.
We have a usual petrol/diesel calculator for cars and this is just pure marketing gimmick by maruti. I'm sure by looking at such ads, there would be some conversion happened to petrol from diesel, without digging up further.

That is what maruti is aiming at and there are loyal followers and misinformed ones who decide by just fancy gimmicks. If anything, the conversion would have already started and maruti is cashing in on them happily!
Old 10th June 2020, 16:00   #79
BANNED

At this rate, I won't be surprised if Maruti comes up with cars without doors and roof and back it with calculator in which it will show significant fuel savings due to weight reduction.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 08:10   #80
Senior - BHPian

Shashank Srivastava, Executive Director at Maruti Suzuki said
We noticed a few things in our research with consumers – one, they always somehow overestimate the number of kilometres they cover. Those who would drive 1,500km in a month tend to think they’ll do 2,500km in a month. We found that over 85% of buyers overestimate the kilometres they run. When they actually start calculating basis their regular commutes, that’s when they realise their running is not as high as they’d originally thought.

A general lack of awareness among buyers about the fast-disappearing gap between petrol and diesel prices as well as fuel efficiency figures mean many don’t even consider if a diesel vehicle makes financial sense for them in the long run.

With the calculator, we also wanted to highlight the difference between a petrol and diesel in BS6 era is higher than what it was in the BS4 era.

There’s a psychological, emotional connect people have with diesel engines. There are people who love diesel engines and the torque they generate and are certain they want a diesel car only.

We’ll see if the demand is there and if it’s worthwhile to bring a diesel engine for larger cars. For the smaller cars, it doesn’t make sense because demand is low.

Srivastava who has dropped the biggest hint yet that a diesel comeback for a future line of Maruti Suzuki SUVs and sedans is on the cards. What will the cost calculator say then?!

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...culator-417586
Old 11th June 2020, 11:15   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think that Maruti deserves so much criticism for this advertisement. After all they are simply stating the obvious. The figures may be bit exaggerated and also would differ with various passenger car segments but in principle it is true and very well known fact. In fact sales personnel across the country and carious dealerships, always caution you regarding petrol vs diesel engine mathematics.

Tomorrow when we venture into the Electric car era, the same companies would promote that and try and portray gasoline engines as dirty. It is simply clever marketing.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 11:28   #82
Sac
BHPian

Maybe Tata Motors can come out with a tangential counter "Planning to buy a Tin Box? You may never be able to recover your life"- Life ka koi calculation hai kya?
Sac is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 18:23   #83
Senior - BHPian

What will MSIL deride next as sour grapes? "Do you really need an Automatic?"
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 03:27   #84
Senior - BHPian

One thing I realized in the calculator is that MSIL uses the ARAI rated km/l value. All of us know that real world efficiency is significantly lesser than the rated FE. Further, petrol engines returns for worse FE than diesel engines in real world traffic conditions.

This calculator is pure hogwash.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 04:54   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Shashank Srivastava, Executive Director at Maruti Suzuki said
We noticed a few things in our research with consumers – one, they always somehow overestimate the number of kilometres they cover. Those who would drive 1,500km in a month tend to think they’ll do 2,500km in a month. We found that over 85% of buyers overestimate the kilometres they run. When they actually start calculating basis their regular commutes, that’s when they realise their running is not as high as they’d originally thought.

A general lack of awareness among buyers about the fast-disappearing gap between petrol and diesel prices as well as fuel efficiency figures mean many don’t even consider if a diesel vehicle makes financial sense for them in the long run.

With the calculator, we also wanted to highlight the difference between a petrol and diesel in BS6 era is higher than what it was in the BS4 era.
Firstly the director is trying to cover up for the lack of diesel offerings presently in Maruti line up. They think that their marketing gimmicks work with most of the customers.

Usually when people purchase a car, the difference of kilometers driven may vary by 10-15% M-o-M. Some months the usage can go as high as 3,000-4,000 kms if the customer is going for a road trip. In such cases, diesel is the ideal choice. And most of the diesel owners drive more than the calculated kilometers per month.

For example, Ford's ecosport diesel costs 40k-60k more than its petrol counterpart variant to variant. In that case the cost of purchase can be covered within a year or 2.

So maruti's calculator would be absolutely wrong in this case

Last edited by jithin23 : 12th June 2020 at 04:55.
Old 24th June 2020, 15:35   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Advantage - Maruti Suzuki, as diesel prices soar!

Link (Petrol vs Diesel sales figures (Apr - Oct 2019). Petrol dominates!)
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 11:48   #87
BHPian

Seems like Maruti is a true visionary, keeping in mind the current fuel prices. If these prices sustain for another one year, it would give them adequate time to develop diesels before the difference again sets in.
low_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 10:32   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Is this the same company whose Chairman once said that Indian's don't need safety features?
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 11:41   #89
Senior - BHPian

Only if Suzuki showed the same concern for Indian lives as they do Indian wallets!
shortbread is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 14:43   #90
GBX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Only if Suzuki showed the same concern for Indian lives as they do Indian wallets!
More like, "if only Indians showed the same concern for their lives as they do their wallets".

Can't blame Maruti for giving the public what they want.
GBX is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed