Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy one today?
Yes 540 75.95%
No 171 24.05%
Voters: 711. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2020, 12:45   #46
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)

Yes! Yes! And Yes!

If I hadn’t left India, this would have been my next car post Duster. I saw few examples as well but couldn’t get one. Even now, I wouldn’t mind a 10-12 year old car when I come back as a project car.
Old 8th June 2020, 13:01   #47
BHPian

Voted Yes. And I have already bought one in January this year. It's a 2015 Highline DSG.
When I bought, it had already done @85k but drives as good as new.
Mods on mind - Latest Android HU and Webasto Sunroof.
Old 8th June 2020, 13:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

I vote as HELL YES!!!!

I have been one of the lucky few to own a pre-owned Jetta which was sparingly used and that too the first owner being Volkswagen themselves.

My car is a Feb 2015 manufactured model and was registered under Volkswagen Group Sales India Limited. It was basically used as a press review car. It was put up for sale in September 2016 and I found it through a dealer in Mumbai.

Here is a video I found on You Tube of my car being used as a press review car by Zig Wheels

The car was still under company warranty and had done only 17,000 kms on the odo. Bought it for around 17 lakhs in September 2016. Purchased the Extended Warranty and the Add On Warranty which lasted till March 2020 and fortunately have never had a single issue till date. It is only now that a 'Cruise Control Switch' error has popped up which I suspect to be the Clock Spring. Again this complaint was raised during the warranty period so will be covered under warranty.

This car is definitely the best I have driven so far and rate the drive better than our 2016 Skoda Superb and 2017 Mercedes GLC. I don't think I will be replacing this car ever.

Here is the beauty

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-vw-jetta.jpeg
Epic is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 14:02   #49
BHPian

Contrarian opinion:

We have a Jetta and Vento in the family. Both diesel & manual. 2013 1.6D Vento and the 2.0 TDi Jetta.

In India, we have got a Jetta with a lot of variant mismatch. An underwhelming petrol, a great diesel manual and an overpriced DSG for the features it offers.

A Vento with a sorted suspension is 75% a Jetta at 50 % of the price. If you don't sit at the back which is genuinely far superior ride wise & space wise to the Vento in every way possible and you spend your time behind the wheel, a thoughtfully modded 6R gen Vento cuts the mustard. Haptic quality is more or less identical on the parts you use the most.
Ash_vtec is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 14:54   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
Contrarian opinion:

We have a Jetta and Vento in the family. Both diesel & manual. 2013 1.6D Vento and the 2.0 TDi Jetta.

In India, we have got a Jetta with a lot of variant mismatch. An underwhelming petrol, a great diesel manual and an overpriced DSG for the features it offers.

A Vento with a sorted suspension is 75% a Jetta at 50 % of the price. If you don't sit at the back which is genuinely far superior ride wise & space wise to the Vento in every way possible and you spend your time behind the wheel, a thoughtfully modded 6R gen Vento cuts the mustard. Haptic quality is more or less identical on the parts you use the most.
Agree with your assessment of the Jetta variants - petrol is underpowered (I was moving from an Octy mk1 vRS), diesel is refined/torquey/reliable/frugal, but DSG was unknown territory - so I picked up the mid variant Comfortline TDI MT in 2014 - have covered 55K KM's mostly highways usage and going super strong... in fact, my company car lease got over in 2018, had almost finalized selling the Jetta for 12L, but went shopping and returned empty handed realizing there is not a competent replacement until you invest north of 40 large ones! So voted a resounding Yes!!! Had a chat last week with mod @ajmat who is also in that quandry!

Disagree on the Vento comparison - the bumpy torsion beam rear axles (my daughter hated the Octy vRS while she sleeps like a charm in the Jetta), drums brakes on rear, absence of many additional electronic safety gadgets (additional airbags, ESP, hill hold, ASR, etc.,), noisy unrefined 1.6 TDI, front parking sensors, auto wipers/headlamps/IRVM, the list goes on... just because they share the family look (even Passat), same switchgear (steering wheel, stalks, gear lever, power buttons, etc.,), audio systems (RCD family), art leather doesn't cut it! The blokes at VAG needed some differentiation with the premium priced A4

Last edited by ajmat : 8th June 2020 at 20:18.
AirWind is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 14:57   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
A quick look at those URLs from OLX reveal that all are from some dealer or the other. Normally dealers post extremely attractive offers and tastefull pics just to get footfall and then get some of the prospective customers stick to actual sales. There is a lot of variance between ads posted and reality on ground when the customer actually pays a visit.

Tried to check prices of second hand Jettas on very own TBHP and got 2 results. Attaching the screenshot for reference. The prices on TBHP are quite a lot compared to OLX, but prices on TBHP are closer to reality it seems.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-screenshot_202006081452052.png  

Fuldagap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 15:53   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted a NO!

I would have voted Yes if I hadn't read through the owners posts in this thread. Not even a single owner has had 0 part failure, no matter how minor it has been.

If reliability and peace of mind is your priority, I don't think any used German car will be suitable. To explain this a bit further, if you are a guy like me who gets irked by minor part failures, it's better to stay away.

I have been honestly looking at used jettas in olx and cartrade for sometime now. Almost all of them have clocked over 70k km and are 7+ years old. The asking price is too high in comparison to what has been specified in OP.

For an example, a well maintained 2013 80k run manual 2.0 Jetta demands 8-9 lakhs. By the experiences of existing Jetta owners, it is very evident the maintenance is going to be pricy too. I would rather pick a new Altroz diesel or a Figo diesel instead. A new car is new car. Period. But this is just me.

Last edited by ajmat : 8th June 2020 at 20:19. Reason: typo
PrasannaDhana is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 16:31   #53

Voted YES!
VW Jetta always had an understated clean design. It still looks refreshing and you won't get bored of it. The mechanicals of the car has been its trump card. You rarely get these robust mechanically sound cars which simply don't give up. Last i remember car of this type was the Toyota Corolla/Innova.
A good enthusiastically kept 5/6 year old copy can surely bring a smile on your face viz-a-viz the feeling of belongingness.
Old 8th June 2020, 16:55   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Voted a NO!

I would have voted Yes if I hadn't read through the owners posts in this thread. Not even a single owner has had 0 part failure, no matter how minor it has been.

If reliability and peace of mind is your priority, I don't think any used German car will be suitable. To explain this a bit further, if you are a guy like me who gets irked by minor part failures, it's better to stay away.

I have been honeetly looking at used jettas in olx and cartrade for sometime now. Almost all of them have clocked over 70k km and are 7+ years old. The asking price is too high in comparison to what has been specified in OP.

For an example, a well maintained 2013 80k run manual 2.0 Jetta demands 8-9 lakhs. By the experiences of existing Jetta owners, it is very evident the maintenance is going to be pricy too. I would rather pick a new Altroz diesel or a Figo diesel instead. A new car is new car. Period. But this is just me.
Hang on, dude. My blue one has had zero mechncial failures.
Moreover, I do feel for cars that are mostly 5-8 years old, some or other failures are bound to happen.

I had a (much loved)Swift G13B - 4-5 times the handle came in my hand while opening the door!
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 17:23   #55
BHPian

The Jetta is an amazing car.

But I voted No for the following reasons:
1. My primary use is a 9km, 25 min commute (one way), which is too low for a diesel to warm up. That would stress the engine every day.
2. The 1.4 TSI petrol is disappointing
3. The exteriors look classy, but the interiors are extremely outdated
4. It misses out on just too much equipment compared to the Octavia.
Old 8th June 2020, 18:06   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed26 View Post

ABS sensor has been the main issue for me. Has replaced around 6 sensors till now, but I had to pay around 4k for each( first 4 were during warranty). How do I get one for 1.5k? Could you please send me the details?
They usually provide 70% discount if you purchase a set of four sensors (4 wheels).

Not sure if the offer applies throughout the year.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-4e457eda681e498b83c388bbcb448089.jpeg

Last edited by csr9 : 8th June 2020 at 18:17.
csr9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 18:29   #57
BHPian

Voted a Yes and infact, got one too recently.

A really well kept 2011 Jetta 2.0 TDI HIGHLINE DSG with 74k on the odo and entire service history from VW. Couldnt find anything thats as genuine as this one. The previous owner sent the car to VW for a blown bulb and also 4 punctures in its 9 years on road.

The only thing I had to immediately do was change the wheels since the first owner’s choice of alloys wasnt to my liking.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-1b7cd3f125fb4eb99f328c64a7f6548c.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-c6aa278286c2492495702b3360694848.jpeg
kingofmyworld is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 19:14   #58
BHPian

I voted Yes.

I love its Vento-like understated looks, and it still looks like a decent package with the 1.4 TSI engine, at the current (as of June 2020) second-hand prices. However, I'd prefer mine with a manual gearbox, if I ever own one. I long for this lovely model to return to India in up-to-date form, instead of it being launched at the tail-end of its lifecycle when we'd already know of an impending generation change or facelift.
Old 8th June 2020, 19:27   #59
BHPian

Voted Yes!

As the owner of a pre-worshipped Jetta 2.0 TDi Highline Manual, I am seriously impressed by the quality and sheer ability of this automobile. To my mind, the Jetta was built at the peak of VW's all conquering rise to the top and that shows in the quality of this vehicle.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-whatsapp-image-20200608-19.17.51.jpeg

It is hard to explain, but there is a tremendous feel good factor in the way the Jetta goes about its business. The tactile feel of the switches, meaty steering wheel, excellent seats and air-conditioning, superb highway ride and reliability of the engine (even after remap), makes this car an excellent pre-worshipped buy.

There is a window to purchase any car on the second-hand market and I feel for the Jetta, knowing what i know now, even a 7-8 year old example should deliver the goods for another 5 years. The Droom website, is a good place to ascertain, the market value for a pre-worshipped car.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-whatsapp-image-20200608-19.17.50.jpeg

As someone, who will never buy a new car, ever again in this lifetime, there are some rules that I will always follow, when travelling the pre-worshipped route. He Who Dares, Wins !

1. Patience, Patience, Patience!
2. Condition above all else - pristine bodywork, paint should not be dulled/mottled, interiors must be fresh, badly scratched alloys and fenders show a careless driver.
3. Single user (ideally without a driver).
3. Showroom serviced with all service records - In God We Trust, All Others, We Verify!
4. Non-Accidental and no painting/tinkering.
5. Get the vehicle checked up at the showroom.
6. Great pre-worshipped cars are rare - when you spot one, make the best offer that your budget permits.
7. Set-aside a budget for maintenance and repairs - I started an RD of Rs 5,000 per month on Jetta's purchase and now starting a Rs 2,000 per month RD for tyre replacement in 2-3 years.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-whatsapp-image-20200608-19.17.50-1.jpeg

Jetta was transferred into my care from Chetan BG, two years ago with 98,000 km on the clock in 5 years. I think it remains one of the few vehicles on this forum with a documented history from day 1 of its purchase.

A Stage 1 Remap (184 BHP/400 Nm) from Petes Automotive and Bilstein B6 suspension were done by Chetan at 42,000 km in Sept 2015. Tyres then and now are Michelin 225/50/R16 PS3s, the latest set changed at 87,000 km.

Jetta has now run 108,600 km and to me is even better than new, simply because of the remap, suspension, tyres and the numerous tweaks done via VCDS by Chetan. My 2 year loan, gets over next month and I look forward to enjoying many years of EMI free car ownership

My last service was at 104,000 km last May and Jetta was driven from BLR to Mysore for the service.
Costs are below:
Rs 10,882 + Rs 1,711 (timing belt kit + labour)
Rs 3245 for 10500 km service
Rs 4608 for 4.8 L of Castrol Edge engine oil
Rs 1473 + Rs 584 (rear brake pads + labour) - original pads lasted till 104,000!
Rs 2900 for 2 wiper blades
Total bill = Rs 31,310, which I find acceptable for an annual service.

It is very important to me to retain the vehicle in this pristine condition as long as possible, hence all work will be done only at the showroom (as long as parts are available).

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-whatsapp-image-20200608-19.15.37.jpeg

The only issues I have had in 2 years of ownership have been a few scrapes on the bumpers (I regret not deciding to go ahead with PPF for the bumpers).

The TBHP forum is a brilliant source of unbiased information on Jetta (or anything automotive for that matter).

I would advise, anyone considering a pre-worshipped Jetta to go through the threads on the forum and make notes before going ahead with a purchase. German cars require a lot of love and care, unlike Japanese, Korean or Indian made cars, which can remain reliable in the face of abuse.

Came across this remapped Jetta in BLR, while checking on OLX - https://www.olx.in/item/remapped-vw-...iid-1566867578

Link to my review (A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family)

Last edited by Redline6800 : 8th June 2020 at 19:39.
Redline6800 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 19:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

Voted NO.

I bought a pre-owned 2013 Fortuner 4x4 MT 2 years back and one thing it made me realize was that a pre-owned is always a pre-owned car and some issues here and there may crop up unexpectedly. While it was my second car and 4th car in the family it didn't bother me.

However, I think I've changed my car selection criteria when it comes to pre-owned and I just wouldn't touch a 4 year old car, especially with the NGT ruling on 10 yr old diesels. Not to mention, its a discontinued model.

I'd happily go with a slightly newer Octavia even if its 2-3x the price. There's always a reason why certain cars sell cheap and its rarely that the owners don't appreciate what they have.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks