Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy one today?
Yes 540 75.95%
No 171 24.05%
Voters: 711. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2020, 23:11   #61
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)

Voted YES

I was looking to buy a used car as second car and the shortlisted ones were Octavia / Jetta & XUV500
Though friends were against the Germans citing maintenance bills, still fancy the German/Czech Duo

Sucker for the white colour Jetta with flat bottom Steering (from 2015 model)

Last edited by Dine : 8th June 2020 at 23:24. Reason: added preference
Dine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 00:32   #62
BHPian

A big FAT YES!!
Got one in Oct-2015. How can you say NO to those clean timeless lines?
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-fb_img_1591642463254.jpg
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img_20200609_002614.jpg
bhavik.1991 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 01:23   #63
BHPian

Voted Yes!

One of the best looking sedans on the road today! And built like a Tank.
Old 9th June 2020, 08:35   #64
Senior - BHPian

Voted No. As good as it must have been to drive one, if it's going to be the primary car, maintenance can be a huge issue, with it being a VAG and discontinued. I prefer a niggle free car, if it's supposed to be my primary car.
Not to forget, the car misses many practical features that have become a sort of necessity today and some which you expect from a car of that segment.
07CR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 12:06   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Voted No. As good as it must have been to drive one, if it's going to be the primary car, maintenance can be a huge issue, with it being a VAG and discontinued. I prefer a niggle free car, if it's supposed to be my primary car.
Not to forget, the car misses many practical features that have become a sort of necessity today and some which you expect from a car of that segment.
The Jetta with a 2.0 TDI MT is very reliable and I had an Octy mk1 vRS prior that was fairly reliable too... i think the reliability is directly proportional to how the car is taken care of! It is easy on maintenance too, costs ~Rs. 20K/yr including wheel alignment, polish, interior cleaning, etc.,

What are you missing in the Jetta besides the sunroof?
AirWind is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 13:52   #66
BHPian

voted yes as a heart over mind decision.
we have a polo tdi from 2012 and we have spent a lot on its mantainence when compared to our i10 or ritz. After 8 years of ownership, the car has seen some or the other replacements every year and the current being a broken windshield wiper that the service center is quoting a whopping 30k for replacement, they say the entire wiper assembly would have to be replaced!
Last year it had a complete suspension overhaul @ 60k.
However our vento tdi 2018 had been extremely reliable with only regular services from the workshop.
Thus,i would always have a second thought over a used vw car with inputs from atleast 3-4 owners
If i may, i would try getting a 2012-13 civic with sunroof and all the bells and whistles that would make it a better buy than the jetta plus the peace of mind with a Honda.

Last edited by Slickshift99 : 9th June 2020 at 13:56. Reason: typo error
Old 9th June 2020, 14:11   #67
BHPian

Yes !
Lovely car with a timeless design. Looks classy even after so many years. Other competitors in this segment look outdated.
Old 9th June 2020, 21:18   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
The Jetta with a 2.0 TDI MT is very reliable and I had an Octy mk1 vRS prior that was fairly reliable too... i think the reliability is directly proportional to how the car is taken care of! It is easy on maintenance too, costs ~Rs. 20K/yr including wheel alignment, polish, interior cleaning, etc.,

What are you missing in the Jetta besides the sunroof?
I think you misunderstood me. I am not talking about the reliability aspect about the Jetta. I am worried about the Parts replacement factor, since the car has been long discontinued.

About the features, at the back of my mind I remember this car didn't come with a sunroof,parking camera,navigation system, android auto,leather seats to name a few. While not all of this are a must have, but necessary when you are purchasing a D segment car for that plush, big car feel.
Old 10th June 2020, 00:00   #69
BHPian

Seems like I am late to the party! But I have been on the lookout for a well maintained late model VW Jetta or Skoda Octavia for about a year now. Looking to replace my ageing previous gen Baleno. I'm glad that even though we do not say it, our minds work the same way.
Old 10th June 2020, 07:59   #70

Voted Yes!

It is one of the eligible sedan in the market. Being a sedan lover, I would love to go after this timeless beauty.
Old 10th June 2020, 08:58   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I think you misunderstood me. I am not talking about the reliability aspect about the Jetta. I am worried about the Parts replacement factor, since the car has been long discontinued.

About the features, at the back of my mind I remember this car didn't come with a sunroof,parking camera,navigation system, android auto,leather seats to name a few. While not all of this are a must have, but necessary when you are purchasing a D segment car for that plush, big car feel.
Ah, the parts are available both in OE and grey market, that's the advantage of the VAG family (shared parts bin with Skoda-Seat-Volkswagen-Audi-Porsche-Bentley), regular consumables are available off the shelf, while any special or accidental parts will have to wait for a wk or two. Pune, given the proximity to Mumbai, should have enough support!

The sunroof needed extra maintenance in my Octy due to the dust in our environment, the channels clog up leading to water logging.

The lowest trim Trendline came with rear parking sensors, the mid trim Comfortline added front parking sensors and top trim Highline came with rear camera.

The car was discontinued in 2015 when Apple Carplay or Android Auto wasnt prevalent, but recent VW models come with them, so a swap with OE or non OE system (Android HU's) possible spending anywhere INR 20-100K with speakers, amp, etc.,

Faux leather - yes, I hated it moving from my Octy which had recaro sytle front seats with white+black leather, but got used to this over time, the beige while a dirt magnet lifts the brightness inside the cabin, also I found the faux leather easier to live with during summer and much easier on maintenance just needing a soap wipe and not a polish.
AirWind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 09:40   #72
BHPian

Definite Yes - Go for Pre worshipped Jetta.

Thanks for the question, having owned a Jetta TDI 2012, Manual transmission - Bought pre-owned - I have had a fantastic experience.

What i loved
1. Fantastic Handling - Very mature and predictable handling.
2. Lovely family car - Highway trips very easy to achieve
3. Amazing Fuel Economy - I have never experienced good FE. Jetta was a clear winner - achieving in excess of 23Kmpl on a highway run was amazing.
4. Endless upgrade opportunities - I upgraded my head unit, Xenon bulbs, LED fog lamps, remaps - you name it.

Some typical wear and tear items - Mentally be ready some parts will not be with VW and you will have either procure yourself or be ready for some wait times.

1. Clutch , Flywheel, Release bearing - The entire assembly - Typical driving around 65-70K on the ODO - This will typically cost around 60-70K INR

2. Set of New tires - Every 40K - Choice dependent - 30-40K on an average for a set of 4.

3. Water pump, timing belt etc - 35-40K - you find my VW invoice attached

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4601674 (Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review)

4. Radiator issue - [Leaking coolant]This one the only big fault i faced in the 3 years i owned a preowned car, which was around 8 years when i had the issue - The entire assembly had to be changed, along with few other other metal parts 40K INR.

5. Door locks will fail - Typically around 3-4K per instance. 3 instances

6. Auxiliary Fuel Pump issue - the pump had no issues, but the nut in front of the pump failed , started leaking diesel - entire assembly changed 16K

7. High speed Judder - Simple wheel alignment - Look for a road force machine - Problem solved.

The above list is not to discourage you, i started facing issue after the car was 8 years old, which in my mind is fair, i have never owned a more sorted car than the Jetta, i truly miss it.

Hope this helps.
Motoringlover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 11:40   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
The car was discontinued in 2015 when Apple Carplay or Android Auto wasnt prevalent, but recent VW models come with them, so a swap with OE or non OE system (Android HU's) possible spending anywhere INR 20-100K with speakers, amp, etc.,
I guess it was discontinued in late 2016/early 2017. Mine is Sep 2016 car which I bought pre-owned. The first owner was VW itself
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 11:54   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Voted Yes.

But the prices I feel are quite bloated in the market. So hard to believe the OP showcasing a car with 65k kms for ₹4.5 lakhs. I would jump for that. A random check on OLX etc usually shows prices for a Highline DSG between 9 to 14 lakhs in Tamil Nadu, which is simply too much for a discontinued second hand car, especially models which are 6-8 years old. The other option is to look for a car run over a lakh kms for cheaper prices which is against most advises.

Maybe I should start shopping for examples in Mumbai
Hey Turbohead..!

I was in the same boat when I started looking for my own pre owned Jetta I'm Delhi. Did an extensive research and found out that most of the cars with dealers have their mileage reversed so we have to be very careful with that. Checking the service records of the car provides the correct idea of how many Kms the car has actually done.

If you're in Chennai and maybe want to check cars in Mumbai, I would suggest to check OLX for Delhi car market as well. Over there people who are selling there own car (non dealers) might give you very good options.
atulanand13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 17:56   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
Voted Yes. Mine is a pre-worshipped 4 year old Jetta tdi dsg which is 8 years old now. Fantastic car. Be ready to tend to a few problems now and then. But in the end it’s worth it, when you drive it. I have taken long drives of BMW X1, Audi A4, skoda superb tdi and octavia diesel, but nothing compares to the solid feel I get from my jetta when driving it.
Adding to my previous post, I forgot to mention the fantastic mileage my jetta gives. 18-19 on highway when driven fast and 20-21kmpl when driven at a steady 100-120kmph. City is 14-15. With a 55l tank I can do 900-1000kms easily with a full tank.

Enclosing 4 more pictures, one with a friend’s previous generation jetta which feels even more of a tank, but isn’t as smooth riding or sweet handling like my jetta.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-4f696171a9ea457194e89de5c59173a7.jpeg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-baafc3ad6b99458285cd39e3912efb5e.jpeg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-701cbc903b4544648603fc426655217d.jpeg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-7c1d4166fe3e4decb8dfff4bfc92cfb0.jpeg  

spkrnh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks