Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy one today?
Yes 540 75.95%
No 171 24.05%
Voters: 711. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2020, 00:02   #76
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)

I am looking at a 2014 Automatic Jetta (DSG?) that has run ~70K for around 9 Lakhs. Based on this thread, I started looking for one and found this - but not sure of the horror stories of the DSG 200 trannys.

The car looks clean and comes with full service history, but I am not aware if the car has been taken to a FNG outside the service centres.

By the way, I keep seeing a lot of Skodas and VWs come exactly 6 years old in the used market? Is it because of the 7-year warranty by the OEM?
sridharj77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 01:11   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj77 View Post
I am looking at a 2014 Automatic Jetta (DSG?) that has run ~70K for around 9 Lakhs. Based on this thread, I started looking for one and found this - but not sure of the horror stories of the DSG 200 trannys.

The car looks clean and comes with full service history, but I am not aware if the car has been taken to a FNG outside the service centres.

By the way, I keep seeing a lot of Skodas and VWs come exactly 6 years old in the used market? Is it because of the 7-year warranty by the OEM?
The jetta TDI AT is a DQ 250. The one that doesnt giveup as often as the DQ200 thats there in the petrols.

Are you talking about the one thats there in car lounge?
kingofmyworld is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 23:03   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
The jetta TDI AT is a DQ 250. The one that doesnt giveup as often as the DQ200 thats there in the petrols.

Are you talking about the one thats there in car lounge?
Yes, that is the one. But most used Skodas and VWs are 6-7 years old, so thinking they run out of factory warranty and hence sold around that timeframe?
Old 12th June 2020, 03:44   #79
BHPian

Noob question coming up.

What about the maintenance part of an approx 5-6 year old VW sedan? I was under the impression that Jettas have reliability/electronics issues, similar to Skodas(especially the Superb). Looking at the huge number of positive responses on this thread, maybe I’m mistaken about it.

I was considering buying a used Jetta after having tons of fun in a rental, but put it aside due to concerns about niggles.
Old 12th June 2020, 07:10   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj77 View Post

I own a Aug 2014 DSG Jetta with 70k kms on Odo. DSG isn't an issue, please make sure that you get one which has service records available of Gear Oil change along with other things. Tbhp member Tanveer also had Aug 2014 Jetta (Highline manual) which proved to be quite reliable as well even after tons of mods.

Also, I am hesitant with remap due to DSG. I found only one example of remapped Jetta in ownership reviews of the forum which was sold not long after remap.

If the car is well maintained with complete service records, go for it (even pay premium above market price). You will have great next 5-8 years.

Btw 2014 Jettas had 2+2 years warranty at the time of purchase. It was complicated to extend it after longer extended warranty plan (2+3) were introduced around 2017. Mine had 2+2, never had to claim extended warranty.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 07:14   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonXRi94 View Post

What about the maintenance part of an approx 5-6 year old VW sedan? I was under the impression that Jettas have reliability/electronics issues, similar to Skodas(especially the Superb).
As someone who drives a 7 year old pre-worshipped Jetta with 108,000 km on the clock, I feel the Jetta is a solidly built, robust and reliable vehicle.

The issues faced by Jetta owners are well documented on TBHP threads and none appear deal breakers to me.

The water pump, door lock actuator, battery and ABS sensor failures appear to be most common in the first 5 years of ownership. Most are replaced under warranty (as was done by the 1st owner of my Jetta). Apart from this, things like injector failures do not appear as common as on the Vento/Rapid or engine mounts on previous Civic.

So if you pick up a used Jetta and the water pump has not been changed, then it is best to get that done (along with timing belt) as preventive maintenance.

Ownership costs also depend on how one intends to maintain their vehicle. I prefer to service my cars at the dealers themselves and keep them as close to new as possible. You can also invest in VCDS software for self diagnosis and tweaks on a Jetta.

If one plans to maintain a 6-7 year old Jetta at the dealer, then an avg of Rs 50-60,000 per year would not only cover servcing costs (at dealership) but also replacements like water pump, shock absorbers, brake pads, battery, tyres and the like, spread out over a few years.

For this spend, you will get an experience that is almost as good and certainly better in terms of performance when compared to Honda's new Civic for 50-60% less money (cost of Jetta + maintenance).

Last edited by Redline6800 : 12th June 2020 at 07:17.
Redline6800 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 10:09   #82
BHPian

Voted No.

A very basic research will tell you that vw doesn't rank high on reliability, it's spares are expensive and so is regular service. In short, a used vw will definitely be a money pit. There is a reason why certain brands lose their value drastically over others in the used car market.

I own a Vw polo and use it for daily commute. No doubt it is a very refined and solid built car but everytime I visit the service station I go with my fingers crossed.

To put things into perspective there was a problem in fuel system within an year of purchase. It was fortunately rectified under warranty but the total bill amounted to 2 lakh rupees.

The vw alloys cost around 21k each from the showroom. I was lucky enough to find myself all four in the same amount from an acquaintance who changing to aftermarket alloys of his vento.

The cost of a broken headlamp was around 11k, without insurance claim.

Basic service for the polo costs me 15k which does not include any extras like rubbing, polishing, spa etc.

Now if you ask me if the extra premium I pay for maintenance worth the comfort over let's say a maruti swift? I would say, no.

Before I forget, I bought the polo in 2015 for around 9 lac, 80k km down the line, today, it is worth not more than 3 lac in the market.
Malhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 18:32   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello BHPians who own a gen 6 Jetta, what is your opinion on a 2015 Jetta Highline AT with 1.3 lakh km on ido? The owner is an enthusiast and is asking 8.5 lakhs for it. Silk blue and it looks fantastic from the photos. I haven't spoken to him about the details yet. I may test drive it tomorrow. What should I be looking at, when I see the car/ checking the service records?
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 22:12   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Hello BHPians who own a gen 6 Jetta, what is your opinion on a 2015 Jetta Highline AT with 1.3 lakh km on ido? The owner is an enthusiast and is asking 8.5 lakhs for it. What should I be looking at, when I see the car/ checking the service records?
1.3L is quite a high mileage but if the car has been treated with love and care with maintenance and preventive maintenance done at the showroom on time, then worth a look for sure.

The 1st page in this thread has links to loads of information, that you will need to spend an entire day going through.

Another great thread on a DSG Jetta is below
Graajas thread on his Jetta DSG (Platinum Grey VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!)

Some quotes on my ownership thread are below to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
I would absolutely prefer a DSG or any other automatic over a manual any day. The DSG is so quick that it is faster than any manual in gear shifting. It is truly a joy to drive.

As far as checking it on a used car is concerned, you can drive it and see if the gear shifts are smooth. Are there any jerks or hesitation? Try to suddenly accelerate and stop and see if there are any issues. In addition, you can check with VW to see if DSG service was ever performed. You can also take it to a service center and have them check the DSG filter. It is located in the engine bay just next to the battery and it is real easy to open a screw to remove its cover. Once open, you can see if the filter is in good shape. If it is squished or deformed, that indicates some problem in the transmission as excess pressure is present in the system. In addition, check the colour of the fluid. It should not be totally black as it is sort of red or amber when new. If it looks very black and dirty, that means the transmission has not been serviced for a long time. That doesn't automatically means it is bad. You can yourself get the DSG fluid changed but just be more cautious as it means the person hasn't cared for the vehicle. If possible, try to drive the vehicle in stop and go traffic for a while. After doing this, open the engine bay and see if you can smell any transmission fluid. That can also indicate transmission overheating. Finally, you can have a service center with a scanning tool test the car, The scanning tool will find any DSG related errors as well as other issues that the vehicle might have.

Another thing to look out for is the DMF {dual mass flywheel}. This often goes bad in VAG cars after about 70k kms and costs about 50k to change. If you feel any shudder during acceleration or worse hear noises then it could mean a bad DMF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burjiis View Post
Hey Viraat,

The car will chose you more than you chosing the car. If she wants you to have her, she will behave extremely well with you, no matter what her issues are.
You must do all the fact finding about her, but do it with the intention of getting her for a better bargain rather than letting her go. If she is not that well kept, see it as an opportunity to give her some more needed love. This intention itself will ensure that she will always be in gratitude to you. She will never fail on you in those crucial moments no matter what her expenses may pan out to be.
Having said that, it is important to know what kind of expenses you could incur. Some of the things that you should look out for are:

1. Would be best if she is less than 4 years old and even better if you have extended warranty. If there is no extended warranty, they still change parts under goodwill warranty if all your service records are intact and you have never chaged a part outside(including battery).

2. Her high speed poise. This is one of her greatest traits. You need to feel that too in your drive even though you are graduating from the brilliant Octavia.

3. Braking at high speed. In a DSG there is zero brakebfade even from 200. Infact due to the automatic engine braking, the brake force increases further rather than fading.

4. Alloys whether they are bent. You will have to put it on a lathe to fix it.

5. Service history, oil changes.

6. Look out for the sump guard under the front bumper. If that is broken or loosely fitted due to minor scrapes and hits, it can hamper the airflow and can cause your engine to heat up. That simple sump guard can set you back by 20K. Hence when you drive especially at high speed, do look out for the engine temperature remaining stable at 90 degrees.

7. Door lock errors

8. Apart from the above, get the owner to drive while you sit aside and ask him to stop on an incline and come out of the car. Check how he puts the car into "P". If he releases the brake after putting it into P before applying the hand brake, then your owner has been putting a lot of load on the transmission even while the car was still.

8. Check the roof linings. Known to give way in our heat.

9. Remove the engine cover and look out for an oil spill.

10. The rear AC grille is prone to damage. Check that out.

11. Lookout for uneven inner tire wear by putting the car up on a ramp at a local car wash area.Will show signs of weak suspension/alignment.

12. Check how the car starts. If you can hear the jerk of the engine within the driver's bay, the car probably has weak flywheel(60K)/ mounts (20K) which can only be replaced.

Regards,
Burjiis

Regards,
Burjiis
Heres what I would consider.

1. The owner, his behaviour and attitude towards the car are extremely important, i feel. So here gut feel plays a very major role. if something doesnt feel right, walk away. Extended warranty would be great to have. Check if any insurance and warranty claims have been made.
2. I would reject the car straightaway if the DSG gearbox has been replaced under warranty and reconsider only if the car felt absolutely fabulous to drive, despite the change.
3. Ideally all servicing should have been done in the showroom and you must get the car checked out at a VW showroom and inspect the underchassis as well.
2. Bodywork and panels must be immaculate with no repaint (dents if any should be explained). Ideally alloys should be in great condition without scuff marks and should not be damaged. Interiors should also be in great condition.
3. Tyre wear should be even and remaining life must be calculated - new Michelin PS3 STs are approx Rs 13,000 each on the company website.
4. Battery must be checked and if replaced by owner recently, then that is a saving.
5. At this mileage, ideally the water pump and timing belt would have been changed.
6. Condition of shock absorbers important as the excellent highway ride of Jetta is a major plus. An upgrade to the highly rated and excellent Bilstein B6 will cost almost a lakh. A remap should cost you approx Rs 30,000 and well worth it.
7. AC vents (front and rear) are prone to breakage and expensive to replace.
8. Door locks tend to fail, so check if they have been replaced.

Last edited by Redline6800 : 14th June 2020 at 22:13.
Redline6800 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 13:50   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Hello BHPians who own a gen 6 Jetta, what is your opinion on a 2015 Jetta Highline AT with 1.3 lakh km on ido? The owner is an enthusiast and is asking 8.5 lakhs for it. Silk blue and it looks fantastic from the photos.
Hi Prasanna,
Were you able to finalize on the Jetta?

I am also in the market for a 2014/15 Highline AT but couldn't find one in a reasonable price in TN / Chennai.

Note: Tried dropping you a pm, but couldn't due to your overflowing inbox, let me know how to connect with you.
Old 31st October 2020, 14:05   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
Hi Prasanna,
Were you able to finalize on the Jetta?

I am also in the market for a 2014/15 Highline AT but couldn't find one in a reasonable price in TN / Chennai.

Note: Tried dropping you a pm, but couldn't due to your overflowing inbox, let me know how to connect with you.

I did not go ahead with the purchase as I decided to retain my 5 year old car.

Moreover the seller ended up being someone who wasn't the actual owner of the car. He was trying to sell it on behalf of his friend. I did not feel it to be right and skipped the deal.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:13   #87
Sen
BHPian

Voted yes.

I actually considered fellow bhpian thetank's current classified for the 2016 Jetta Highline 2.0 TDI manual (the refresh!), very heavily and logically.

Unfortunately he's from Pune, and I'm from Hyderabad, and the costs would mount up too much coupled with his asking price and the hassle involving cross-state transfers and getting that road tax refund back. All this on a used car loan, couldn't do it.

The car would otherwise also be troublesome to service and maintain (VAG aftersales service being what it is), but boy oh boy would it be a hoot to drive! that diesel is a gem, and a rocket. 138 bhp and 320(!) nm torque on tap, definitely a great car mechanically, sorted on safety tech and build quality as well, independent multi-link suspension in the rear.

It hurt my heart to walk away from that toffee brown Jetta..Just 46k or so on the odo.

Last edited by Sen : 3rd November 2020 at 12:14.
Sen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:41   #88
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Already own a 45K done 2015 facelifted absolutely stock Highline TDI AT Jetta in mint condition. Still has the new car look and vibe. Dieselgate fix not done, so the car is explosive. Now at 70k.

Water pump changed around 65k, Fuel lid latch also changed around same time.

Only changed tyres Michelin PST4 and battery. Custom luxury carpet footmats. Planning to change HU to RCD 340G but Aliexpress has stopped deliveries. So waiting.

Excellent highway cruiser, Smooth and lovely engine. Fantastic AT, difficult to better manually.
MADMAX111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 08:11   #89
BHPian

My exceptionally maintained, stock 2014 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 TDI MT Comfortline, self driven NH rider is up for grabs... 56K KM's, 1st owner, full service records, company car lease over, so opportunity to upgrade to a new car lease or will hold on to my current ride if I don't get my price :-)

Details here -> https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...or-sale/64926/
Old 13th November 2020, 09:41   #90
BHPian

Hello folks, I am being offered a used Jetta 2015 model - 2.0 TDI - at around 6.5 Lakhs in TN. Its a single owner car, but has done close to 150K kms in 5 years!

I quite liked the car, it looks well taken care of and all service records available, but is completely unsure about the expenses for maintaining a 150K km old German D segment Car.I might want to keep the car for 3-4 years and 50K kms. I couldnt find anyone writing about their Jetta post 1 Lakh km here on TBHP.

1. What are things that I should check for while buying? (water pump, door lock, fuel lock etc are what I learned so far from the forums. anythign specific at this kms range)

2. How much should I keep aside for maintenance+expenses every year?

I have had a Linea TJet, a Fiesta petrol, and a Polo before. This is sort of an unknown territory, so finding out if it is the best option to go.

Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited by singleton : 13th November 2020 at 10:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks