Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy one today?
Yes 457 76.94%
No 137 23.06%
Voters: 594. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th November 2020, 10:51   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post
I couldnt find anyone writing about their Jetta post 1 Lakh km here on TBHP.

1. What are things that I should check for while buying? (water pump, door lock, fuel lock etc are what I learned so far from the forums. anythign specific at this kms range)

2. How much should I keep aside for maintenance+expenses every year?
I own a 6 yr old Jetta with about 1.5 lakh kms done. No issues so far. One door handle is a bit tight and the fuel gauge sometimes doesn't work, but no other niggles at all. Having said that, I did change a bunch of parts at the one lakh mark as a safety measure since I do a lot of long trips. Changed the flywheel, timing belt, gearbox springs and clutch pad.
I also did a remap at 1 lakh kms and its been running at a much higher tune(190bhp, 450NM) for the last 50k kms. Upgraded the brakes, brake pads and the air filter along with the remap.
I do feel the suspension has become pretty bad now; it feels softer and has higher body roll. Doesn't dampen out as well as it used to. Planning to upgrade to Bilsteins in a few months.

Since I have a high annual running(30k kms), I try to keep aside 1.5-2 lakhs per year for the car - this includes Tyres every 40k kms, 2 services, brakes(every 50k kms) and insurance.
pavanmadhini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 09:07   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post
Hello folks, I am being offered a used Jetta 2015 model - 2.0 TDI - at around 6.5 Lakhs in TN. Its a single owner car, but has done close to 150K kms in 5 years!

I quite liked the car, it looks well taken care of and all service records available, but is completely unsure about the expenses for maintaining a 150K km old German D segment Car.I might want to keep the car for 3-4 years and 50K kms. I couldnt find anyone writing about their Jetta post 1 Lakh km here on TBHP.

1. What are things that I should check for while buying? (water pump, door lock, fuel lock etc are what I learned so far from the forums. anythign specific at this kms range)

2. How much should I keep aside for maintenance+expenses every year?

I have had a Linea TJet, a Fiesta petrol, and a Polo before. This is sort of an unknown territory, so finding out if it is the best option to go.

Thank you so much for your help.
You can read my review on my pre-worshipped Jetta here. It was purchased at just over 98,000 km and has now run 109,680 km.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4930779 (A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family)

The Jetta is certainly a very impressive automobile, that is able to shrug off high miles unlike many other cars. Get the car checked out a VW service centre - water pump, timing belt, suspension, new tyres, etc likely have already been done at this mileage.

For any used car, I always say - condition over mileage!

You can read about my 1 lakh km service at link below:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4590879 (A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family)

Below is my car at 7 years 3 months.
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20201107_141730.jpg

Last edited by Redline6800 : 14th November 2020 at 09:12.
Redline6800 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 13:52   #93

#Cross posting as this might be more relevant here.

Hello All,

I would appreciate some advice on the below.

I own a 2014 VW Jetta HL manual TDI. It has clocked ~90K on the ODO. Recently I found out that 2 of my alloys have a bend on them. I do know someone in Pune who claims that they can be repaired. I would like to know if anyone has had their alloys repaired and what was their experience like?

Also if I want to replace them, should I go the OEM route? Do aftermarket alloys affect performance or cause problems to components like the steering rack or the tie rod ends?

The second thing I need is to upgrade the stock headlights as I do a lot of night driving on highways. Should I go the HID route? Has anyone done this on their Jetta?

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 16th March 2021, 17:49   #94
BHPian

While I'd love to get my hands on a used Jetta some members are warning against it due to servicing troubles. I saw some general comments that give confidence like "global car / shared parts with Skoda / VAG family etc."

But I'd like some specific information on maintaining the car.

Can someone comment on spare parts availability / wait times for parts like timing belt/kits, suspensions, pumps, ABS sensors etc. when using FNG/Wheels Wisdom in Bangalore especially post 70k kms? I am ok to spend 2-3 days a year down-time but would like to avoid longer waits and any breakdowns.
Old 16th March 2021, 18:05   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntOOs View Post
While I'd love to get my hands on a used Jetta some members are warning against it due to servicing troubles. I saw some general comments that give confidence like "global car / shared parts with Skoda / VAG family etc."

But I'd like some specific information on maintaining the car.

Can someone comment on spare parts availability / wait times for parts like timing belt/kits, suspensions, pumps, ABS sensors etc. when using FNG/Wheels Wisdom in Bangalore especially post 70k kms? I am ok to spend 2-3 days a year down-time but would like to avoid longer waits and any breakdowns.
Having used both FNG and Wheels Wisdom, I can confirm that parts availability has not been an issue at all. The FNG I frequent sources the parts in 1-2 days time and you have an option of choosing from multiple brands for a particular product (Sachs, Meyle, LUK etc. to name a few). So far I have replaced the timing belt, water pump, brake pads, clutch kit with flywheel, headlight, tyres and headliner and my car has never been in the workshop for more than a couple of days at the most...except when I got the clutch changed at ASS but that's a story for another time

Make sure you don't depend on ASS; find a reliable FNG and the ownership experience should be relatively hassle free.
tweaker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 18:19   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntOOs View Post
I'd echo the comments above regarding spare parts availability - it's a non-issue.

I've been lucky to have been referred to an uber-competent FNG who only takes on limited customers and purely via reference. I don't plan to visit a service center again *knock-on-wood*. Maintenance costs have been limited mostly to routine annual service, one set of brake pads and a clutch change at 70k km's when I also pre-emptively replaced the tie rods. The A$$ had mucked up my gearbox with inappropriate oil, which my FNG thankfully caught and corrected

The Jetta really spoils you with a great combination of high-speed poise, understated interiors, tank like build quality and timeless design that ages well. I'm now 7 years/72k km's in and with a remap, struggle to justify a next car purchase that would be a true upgrade. Maybe I'll make the direct leap to electric

Last edited by BackInTheFold : 16th March 2021 at 18:27.
BackInTheFold is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 19:45   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post

I also did a remap at 1 lakh kms and its been running at a much higher tune(190bhp, 450NM) for the last 50k kms. Upgraded the brakes, brake pads and the air filter along with the remap.
I do feel the suspension has become pretty bad now; it feels softer and has higher body roll. Doesn't dampen out as well as it used to. Planning to upgrade to Bilsteins in a few months.
Would request you to share the details of other mods with the remap that bumped the # to 190 bhp. Brake upgrade..just the rotors of same spects or bigger kit? Did you upgraded your suspension?
Old 15th May 2021, 20:23   #98
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes!!!!

Yes; Since we were quite close to finalizing on one 2010 Jetta TDI Highline AT in late January, second owner 50K done, and belonged to a close friend.

Somehow the deal didn't get through, and boy am I glad that happened, since we ended with something else, a Late Model January 2013 registered Single owner LCI E90 320DMSport with 37K on odometer and a lot goodies
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-18a6a3ca675d43f4b547b3ac0192c41f.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img_8915.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img_8918.jpg  

akshay4587 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 22:06   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Would request you to share the details of other mods with the remap that bumped the # to 190 bhp. Brake upgrade..just the rotors of same spects or bigger kit? Did you upgraded your suspension?
1. Changed to Brembo cross drilled brakes of same size. Upgraded the pads to EBC. Other upgrades include 17" alloys with Pilot Sport 4s, and a K&N filter.
2. Suspension upgrade is on the cards. Have ordered Bilstein B6s, and awaiting delivery. Odo is currently at around 156k kms.
3. Hoping to go for an exhaust upgrade towards the end of this year.
pavanmadhini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 09:07   #100
BHPian

Quote:
1. Changed to Brembo cross drilled brakes of same size. Upgraded the pads to EBC. Other upgrades include 17" alloys with Pilot Sport 4s, and a K&N filter.
2. Suspension upgrade is on the cards. Have ordered Bilstein B6s, and awaiting delivery. Odo is currently at around 156k kms.
3. Hoping to go for an exhaust upgrade towards the end of this year.
That’s some good upgrades, understand how difficult it will be to find a worthy replacement. I am in a similar dilemma with Octavia TDI, got the remap done with K&N filter and upgraded to B6.

Quick question- Did you upsize your tyres to 225 45 17? I have almost finalised my alloy and tyre upgrade to 17 225 45 after this lockdown, but have to go with ContiSportContact 5 due to non availability of PS4. How do find the ride quality, if it is 45 profile.
Old 16th May 2021, 10:02   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Quick question- Did you upsize your tyres to 225 45 17? I have almost finalised my alloy and tyre upgrade to 17 225 45 after this lockdown, but have to go with ContiSportContact 5 due to non availability of PS4. How do find the ride quality, if it is 45 profile.
Yup, running on 225/45s for the last 1.1 lakh kms. To be honest, the ride quality suffered marginally when I initially upsides to 17", but got used to it pretty quickly.
Till the whole suspension became too soft at the 1.5L kms mark, and then the ride became a bit jarring. Hence the Bilsteins. One reason to go for Bilsteins was also to keep the car exciting, since I couldn't find any worthy replacement within 25L. Planning to hold on to the Jetta for as long as I possibly can now.
Old 16th May 2021, 11:06   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Till the whole suspension became too soft at the 1.5L kms mark, and then the ride became a bit jarring. Hence the Bilsteins. One reason to go for Bilsteins was also to keep the car exciting, since I couldn't find any worthy replacement within 25L. Planning to hold on to the Jetta for as long as I possibly can now.
Agree, I got the suspension changed to Bilstein recently and quiet impressed with improvement in handling and high speed. Low speed have slightly become busier, but overall a good investment. Thanks for your views.
sunikkat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 09:45   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
• For the prices they are trading at, it offers incredible value-for-money
A 2015/2016 Jetta Highline AT quoted prices here in Bangalore are 14-15 Lakhs. Does it really make sense? I guess they were around 20L when new?

Most Viewed