Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy one today?
Yes 540 75.95%
No 171 24.05%
Voters: 711. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2020, 12:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)

This 6th-gen Jetta was launched in India in 2011, while the facelift arrived in 2015. The Jetta is known for its all-rounded package, workhorse nature, build quality, 2.0 diesel engine and multi-link rear suspension (Octavia diesel gets a cheaper torsion beam). The Jetta also came with a 1.4-litre turbocharged petrol engine that is best avoided. If you absolutely need a petrol, buy a used Octavia 1.8 TSI instead.

Positives:

• For the prices they are trading at, it offers incredible value-for-money
• Classic, timeless and understated styling, mated with solid build quality
• 2.0L diesel is fast, torquey, refined & fuel-efficient. 6-speed manual is a joy to use
• Smooth, high-tech 6-speed DSG automatic (diesel). More durable than VAG's 7-speed DSG
• Spacious cabin, front & back
• Mature ride and handling package. Well-tuned suspension
• Features such as bi-xenon headlamps, LED DRLs, dual-zone climate control, touchscreen ICE etc.
• 5 star NCAP rating. Safety kit includes 6 airbags, ABS + EBD, ESP, EDL and more
• Good reliability. Car ages well too

Negatives:

• Lacklustre 1.4L TSI petrol engine. Explosive 1.8L TSI isn't available in the Jetta
• Newest piece you'll find is 4 years old; most are 5 - 8 years old
• Interior quality is a grade or two lower than the 5th-gen Jetta
• Cars with the diesel-gate fix have a dumbed-down engine
• Leather seats, sunroof & reversing camera are conspicuous by their absence
• DSG was only offered with the diesel's Highline variant, thereby limiting its availability
• Unusually tall floor hump can make things uncomfortable for the 5th occupant
• VW's substandard dealership & service experiences

Related threads:

Official Review

Redline6800's pre-worshipped 2013 VW Jetta 2.0

Chethan B G's ownership thread (In fact, Chetan sold his car to our every own Redline6800 )

neoonwheels' report, who sold an MT Jetta and got himself an automatic one

vishy76's ownership report of his 2014 Jetta 2.0 TDI

Mod Potential:

Thanks to the VAG modularity, it is possible to add lots of features & customisations to the Jetta. A simple 15-minute remap will instantly take the diesel's power to 170+ BHP. Some of the other enhancements include newer head units, auto park system from the Passat, lights, lips & spoilers etc. Further, a nice set of alloys (like the 17-inch BBS SR) will totally transform the look.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-vw_jetta_mk6_gli_john_i_borla_exh_p3ventgauge_bilsteins_img003.jpg
Source

Here are some examples on sale (2012 65,000 km diesel MT, 2012 19,000 petrol MT, 2011 55,000 km diesel MT)

Here are pictures of the 2012, 65,000 km done diesel MT with an asking price of Rs. 4,50,000. Imagine such a car for Maruti Alto K10 money!!
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-images1080x10803.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-images1080x10804.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-images1080x10805.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-images1080x10806.jpeg

Last edited by GTO : 5th June 2020 at 10:50.
blackwasp is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 11:06   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Voting an emphatic yes! This is one of my all-time favourite D1-segment sedans; I like it even more than the current (new) Octavia on sale. Have recommended the Jetta to many people in my circle and here's the thing = I'm yet to meet an unhappy Jetta owner. A timeless all-rounder, the kind that hits the market just once in a while.

Some sweet pics from the tastefully modified cars thread:
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-633c8edce2244b94984e0db97d17f471.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-e75d920d1c7048a6875909610b93645d.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-1094734_369466623179639_2037006255_o.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-1116078_369466589846309_1867694997_o.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 5th June 2020 at 11:14.
GTO is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 11:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Voted Yes!
This is indeed one solid car. Everything about it feels so solid and safe, starting with that heavy door. Like the current Polo in India, a truly timeless model from VAG.
vb-saan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 11:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes.

Can't find any fault with the car although there are few goodies missing when compared to the new gen cars.

The only issue we faced was the central lock mechanism that stopped working. Also, the electrical are known to cause issues. We almost sold the car last year when we got a sweet deal on a German luxury sedan but decided to hold it and wait for few years.

Now that we have added few upgrades, this should be with us for few more years. Also, there's more things planned later this year.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img20180511wa0026.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img20180512wa0026.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img20200208182100.jpg

Even after the remap, it gives a pretty healthy mileage.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img20200104wa0002.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 11:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A wholehearted yes!

This is a solid and well engineered car with top notch mechanicals and no excessive electronics. Fact is they just don’t make cars like these anymore. The dynamics and the highway speed ride comfort continue to be a benchmark. And because it is a global product, spare parts will never be an issue.

A 40-50k km done diesel MT is perfect. You will not have to be fully dependent on VW service either.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 5th June 2020 at 11:54.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 11:55   #6
BHPian

A resounding YES!
When we were on the look out for a D Segment Sedan for my father-in-law 2 years back, the Jetta was the first choice. He fell in love with the toffee brown shade as well and I just loved the build. Unfortunately procuring one from the Canteen Stores Dept. proved to be a problem as the Jetta dealer wasn't in our town and the process would have been tedious.

I'd still lap this car up as an upgrade from my 3 year old GT TSI.
lionell is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 11:58   #7
BHPian

Voted Yes. Mine is a pre-worshipped 4 year old Jetta tdi dsg which is 8 years old now. Fantastic car. Be ready to tend to a few problems now and then. But in the end it’s worth it, when you drive it. I have taken long drives of BMW X1, Audi A4, skoda superb tdi and octavia diesel, but nothing compares to the solid feel I get from my jetta when driving it.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-0377c10569584fd0b07abf389315a6da.jpeg  

spkrnh is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 12:04   #8
BHPian

I voted Yes.

We have a Jetta 2011 Tdi Comfortline at home 62k KM done, Toffee Brown Color, Manual Transmission. The Engine, Suspension, Steering, Ride Quality are extraordinary. Highway speeds are a breeze and drives are fun both in the city as well as the highway. The minimal turbo lag and it's maniac acceleration are underrated. The way the car pulls is scary. The seats are super comfortable, both in the front and the rear. The cabin too is spacious and silent. The interiors are high quality. The lighting, though lacks HID or LEDs, will light up a very far distance of the road ahead. Night drives can be done more confidently. The brakes are too good. The infotainment system, though low on features, the Sound quality is top notch. Enjoyable speakers in the car.

We also have a Vento 2017 model. There is no comparison between the two. The only similarities I find between the two are in the design. But the drive, quality, interior materials, ride quality are all very different. Even the paint quality is different, Jetta being superior. (It was manufactured in the Mexico, I suppose). I would safely and confidently use the phrase "Aasman - Zameen Farak".

But one thing is the maintainence. We faced 2 issues so far, which were heavy on the pocket.

1. The door locks. The door locks would not work. It happened with the left rear door. It just would not lock when the other three would. The "Disease" spread to the left front door as well. We had them changed. Then after a few months, the same happened with the right rear and the right front. Had them changed as well. That was an expense of Rs.10k per door. The handle and lock mechanism (Latch ?) in each door was changed.

2. The water pump failed. The temperature warning light came up and the ASS told us that the water pump failed, the coolant had leaked onto the timing belt and so they had to be changed. We had to pay around Rs.35-40k for that. It happened a few years ago, and since then, the car had no complaints.

We spent that money on the repairs, but we never regretted the purchase of the car. It simply is the best in the segment. The driving pleasure and the confidence it inspires in us as soon as we start to drive it are priceless. We also felt bad and wondered why VW discontinued such a wonderful model here !

I would keep a couple of thousands ready aside for any such unexpected repairs before buying one used. But the quality of car truly justifies these petty issues.

Last edited by saisailendra : 5th June 2020 at 12:07.
saisailendra is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 12:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

A big YES from me. One car that I love and is always on my radar. Since new cars are frightfully expensive and this D segment range has gone into the 30L territory, One option that I will look at when I plan to upgrade my Vento is a Pre-owned Jetta. Get it at a good price and then fully utilize the mod potential the car has.

Only downside is that since VW discontinued it, good examples will become hard to find.
Rajeevraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 12:19   #10
BHPian

Voted "Yes!"

Fantastic car. Love it better than the Passat. Very matured looks, good all around space and decent luxury. Doesn't stand out too much (which I like). Have never owned it but driven the Jetta and the Passat many many times. This car is very easy to fall in love with. As long as folks stay in love with the car (take appropriate timely care; don't push it too hard), it's a car to stay in the family for many years.
Miyata is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 13:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

As a current Jetta owner, my vote is for a wholehearted yes!

It is car with solid Engineering (I value solid Engineering faaaaaaaar more than gimmicky features), great engine, good balance between ride and handling, pleasant (if slightly drab) interiors. I also love it’s understated styling...honestly, there is nothing to not like about the car.

I’ve done simple mods to my car, including:
1. Pete’s tune map - so, it’s running@175bhp
2. RCD 340G, courtesy Ali Express, Blaupunkt bade tube, Rockford Fosgate speakers
3. Momo Revenge with Michelin PS4 225/45/17”

This has been enough to hold me off from lunging for Bimmer 330i Sport so far. Because only a current legend can replace the last generation one...

Here is my beloved:
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-1365f9059a48464abb928db572bb0f4e.jpeg  

Abhi_Automobile is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 13:08   #12
BHPian

Yes of course. The sheer variety of mods that can be done on this car, much like the 6r Polo is staggering. You can keep your car looking fresh for 200,000 km at least.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 13:51   #13
BHPian

I vote for it as Yes for everything. But, mostly would be 6-8 year old. So it's a NO for the NCR region. You can drive it only for 2-4 years now, considering the 10 year old rule for diesel.
shravan2k2 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 13:54   #14
Team-BHP Support

Yes! Yes! Yes.

No doubts on this one - Jetta is truly an allrounder of a sedan, and the resale prices are rather sweet too.

And - for those who are worried about the DSG transmission issues - you do get the occasional manual transmission variants in the market as well.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 13:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes !!

First I got a 40K KMs run Jetta Comfortline TDi and drove for a year and 10K KMs. Due to the traffic and freq use of the clutch made me change my mind but Jetta is one such car which is very difficult to upgrade, so I settled with VW owned 2016 Jetta Highline AT

The car is beautiful to look at, solid diesel engine and reliable AT, what else do you need from a D1 segment sedan. The length is just perfect for the City and its a perfect balance between a comfortable and performance sedan.

Now if somebody visits this page keeping Jetta as an upgrade option, below are things which you would have to look at from maintenance angle:

1. Water pump - 10K
2. Battery - 5-6K
3. ABS sensor - 1.5K each
4. Fuel lid opener - ~ 3K
5. Door latch - ~5-8K

These are freq failures seen in Jetta/Octavia/Passat/Superb

Last edited by neoonwheels : 5th June 2020 at 13:59.
neoonwheels is offline   (31) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks