Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2020, 09:32   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

I am surprised that so many owners tolerated so many serious issues for such a long time assuming that it may be one off. Hyundai must be laughing all the way to their banks every time they launch an ultra premium product like Grand i10 or i20 which provides gizmos but sucks when it comes to the core of the car.

I feel enraged at the Hyundai attitude towards Indian customers inspite of never owning one (Thankfully). I have had a look at a lot of i20s though during my used car search, never felt connected to any of the cars, hence never bought it.
2000rpm is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 10:11   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

I do not think it is a surprise or a shock for anyone with some Hyundai cars in the close circle or have been religiously reading this forum in the past few years. Good that there is a single place now for reference.

If I am not mistaken, all this started when Hyundai stopped exports to the EU from India. Was it 2014? And when you stop the supply to the most matured market in the world, priorities and decisions change!

There were some tangible losses earlier - the rear disc brakes, ABS, rear wiper etc vanished from Hyundai cars. Instead, we got some fancy features (big touchscreen, DRL, electric folding mirrors....) which pops out in the catalogs and marketing collateral. All these fancy stuff is a big influencer for the larger public. I am old school and much prefer cars with solid basics and essential features like a rear wiper or all around disc brakes. But that's old school thinking and people in that club is a minority in our market nowadays.

I still recall the pleasant surprise when the first i20 had all this even in the Magna variant. Nowadays, you cannot get any of this if you aren't picking the top most variant in a Hyundai. And that is across segments. Forget a rear disc brake even for a Verna. Thanks to the govt. regulation for making ABS mandatory at least. But, they should do a lot more for the money they make through taxes when a car is sold. If I am not mistaken, the govt makes more than 5 lakhs through direct and indirect taxes when we buy a car for 10 lakhs. Anyways, that's a different topic altogether. Coming back to this thread, it looks like we lost more than some solid features though!

Now, will something change due to this thread? I honestly do not think so. Lucky if Hyundai takes notice and fix the multiple quality issues in the assembly line. But I do not think they will be pressured by the market. For all the noise about Indians being really smart and frugal with car buying, the larger market still works on stereotypes, perceptions and long held beliefs. And people will continue to buy Hyundai over other brands. Threads like this can only break the weaker manufacturers - the ones which doesn't do well on those sales threads.

Cars like Rapid Rider TSi or Kicks Turbo petrol AT will win a lot of polls on the forum, but when it comes to walking the talk or putting money where the mouth is, those hard working cars will lose out. We have been here before with many such scenarios before! This is no rant, just calling out our market for what it is. And manufacturers strong in our local market will try to align their offerings likewise while making the maximum profit after the govt takes their cut.
deetjohn is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 16:26   #168
Senior - BHPian

I've had a few issues with my 2012 Verna CRDi.

1) It was a steering wheel gearbox issue which made a grinding noise while turning it. I had documented that problem on our thread here. It was fixed at A.S.S

2) Gearbox grinding while engaging reverse gear. After few day's even the 1st 2 gears were difficult to slot. I fixed this issue by just changing the master and slave clutch cylinders at my FNG. I know many who have gone the A.S.S recommendation route of replacing also the clutch plates. Complete Waste of money !

I had documented about this on my channel.

3) Few Vernas of my same vintage also had suspension issues which I'm guessing I will face too after a while.

4) Most horrible thing is, I am getting hairline rust on my rear doors, just under the paint as it's bubbling up. Now I need to repaint both the doors as well.

Hyundai's are not Toyota's for sure.

Anyways Skoda used to scorn at T-bhp, now is the turn for Hyundai.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 19th June 2020 at 16:36.
stanjohn123 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 16:39   #169
BHPian

Thank you Crazy Driver for starting this thread. Really appreciate the effort you have put in to compile all these data.

My experience with Hyundai is a mixed bag so far- Good product/bad service experience. I have given my car to three different Hyundai dealers so far and service quality,competence and customer friendliness was very poor with each one of them. Since my car was in extended warranty period, I didn't want to void warranty by trying my trusted FNG.

My Elite i20 CRDi Asta [O] is at 80000 km and journey so far has been good. Extended warranty [3rd year] expired on 16.03.2020. I had given my car for 80k service at Hyundai service centre [SS Hyundai Mavelikara] two days ago. There were no problems to report and everything was working fine when I handed over the car. The dealer has promised to give my car on the same day back as it is a regular service. But by 5.45 P.M I got a call from service manager saying that work is not finished and they will be able to deliver the car only by the next day. I got the car on the next day [afternoon] and when I started driving A/C was not workingHot air was coming out of A/C vents and no cooling effect at all.

I called the service advisor and informed him regarding the A/C and his reply was " Sir A/C gas may be low". I knew that he was bluffing because even if the gas is low there should be some amount of cooling. I took the car to my trusted A/C mechanic and he told me straight away that it is a problem with A/C compressor. He connected some meters/gauges and checked A/C thoroughly- final diagnosis is A/C compressor valve gone kaput. He also told me this is a common occurrence in all Hyundai cars. Then I called Hyundai Service centre to take my car back and give me the correct diagnosis/reason for sudden A/C malfunction immediately after routine service

They called me today and informed that A/C compressor should be replaced [There is no concept of repair in their dictionary and only word they is know is REPLACE]. My car is just two months out of warranty [? bad luck] and I have to pay the entire amount from my pocket. Meanwhile FNG A/C mechanic said the compressor valve alone can be replaced and no need to change the compressor. I am planning to explore this option and see how it goes

I have two questions about the entire fiasco

1. How come a perfectly working A/C compressor go caput after spending a day at HASS for a regular service

2. A/c compressor failure is a known problem in Hyundai cars.Shouldn't they offer an solution/call back to rectify the defect? At least a good will gesture should be offered to customers whose cars are recently out of warranty [VW/Skoda does this in cases of DSG failure]

I have seven Maruti cars in my family now [S Cross 1.6, Gypsy, Baleno Altura Swift,Ritz, Wagon R,Alto K10]. Service experience from Maruti is leagues ahead of Hyundai. Maruti takes customer complaints seriously and address the problems. On the contrary Hyundai India is an arrogant organization who doesn't care about its customers. I have given poor feedback many times after service and never ever got a call back from Hyundai asking why. Maruti is very proactive in this regard and dealers also know this.

One thing I am certain is that unless the service quality of Hyundai improves in a significant way, I am not planning to go near a Hyundai anytime in the nearby future.

Last edited by DrANTO : 19th June 2020 at 16:41.
DrANTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 18:29   #170
BHPian

OMG.. I bought a Grand I10 NIOS white dual tone petrol model last december and this thread is making me very scared..!

With 6 months of ownership experience and 2.5k kms on the ODO, I haven't faced any mechanical problems till date.

But, the quality of the car is not upto the mark.. I have faced/facing a couple of issues till date.

1) The dashboard had this sound as if some bolt/nut was loose, after banging it once, the sound won't be there for quite sometime and if lucky, even after 100s of km and then one bad pothole comes and the sound is back again and I have to bang it again

2) The rear left window glass was rattling very mildly occassionaly.. but after removing it to install sun film and re-installing, the rattle was gone.. have driven less than 50kms only. Will have to observe

3) The paint quality is not the best. A girl brushed the side of the car with her bag and it scratched the car. There are 2-3 spots in the hood with pain chipped because of road debris I guess. While filling up air in the tyre, the idiot hit the car's rear bumper with the nozzle a bit and the paint came off. This is making me even more nervous as it is a while car and white hyundai's have alot of chipping issues in this thread...

4) Very very rarely I get this squeaky sound while releasing the clutch pedal like in a 10 y o car

But other than these minor issues, the car feels great so far and seems to be a perfect city car and turns alot of heads tooo
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-20200619_1824231.jpg  

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-20200614_143807.jpg  

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-20200614_143755.jpg  

shravansp24 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 23:58   #171
BHPian

In my 10 years of ownership of the First gen I20, All I have faced out of these issues is Steering rack rattle. That was in initial years, 1 steering rack replacement and 2-3 visits to service center didnt solve anything. So I let it be and accepted it as it is. It still rattles on undulations but I have learned to live with it.
But apart from this, Car has been fantastic. Rest replacements are age related along with regular consumables. Car still feels good to enter in, Even after such a long time. No other manufacturer Except VW has this kind of interior quality.
ynike99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 14:00   #172
BHPian

So my fluidic elantra is back from the service station. However, I hear a click click sound from the steering. My driver drives this car. So he told me that this has been happening since a long time but he never mentioned it to me.

In the past. Some rotor was changed in the steering but the clatter went away.

Is this something i should worry about and send it back? Or should I drive it as it is?

Video attached...

Old 20th June 2020, 16:15   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
So my fluidic elantra is back from the service station. However, I hear a click click sound from the steering. My driver drives this car. So he told me that this has been happening since a long time but he never mentioned it to me.

In the past. Some rotor was changed in the steering but the clatter went away.

Is this something i should worry about and send it back? Or should I drive it as it is?

Video attached...
This is a known issue with this generation of Elantra. A flexible coupler that sits between the power steering motor and the steering shaft wears down resulting in this noise.

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-123.jpg

Theres a TSB in the US for the issue but Hyundai India couldn't be bothered to fix it.

The fix is is to replace the coupler Part Number 56315 - 2K000FFF - a part that costs 87 INR. The labour to do so can be ~2000 INR since it involves opening up the bottom of the dash and lowering/removing the steering column to get access to the motor thats buried deep within the innards of the car.

Another photo of the part so you can share with a FNG or the Service Center to source it. I'd recommend getting it changed as a sudden loss of power steering could result in an unpleasant outcomes.

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-1234.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th June 2020 at 15:16. Reason: Please avoid quoting video's URL in the quoted post. Thanks.
xanthor is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 18:02   #174

Thank you, Crazy_Driver, for all the pain-staking efforts you have put in to compile this comprehensive encyclopedia of information.

I have to say that my Dad owns a 2012 Fluidic Verna 1.6D, and we have twice had the EPS motor replaced, once under warranty, and the second under payment basis. Luckily for us, the EPS motor is available separately for most Hyundais and the expenses are quite bearable. On most other brands (including Maruti Suzuki), the EPS includes the motor, ECU, and part of the steering column as a single unit, and this would have cost us far more to replace.
frozen.ash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 18:54   #175
BHPian

I have been owning Hyundai cars for last fifteen years. First a Santro Xing and then an i10 kappa for last eleven years. Have not faced any major issues so far. Only had to replace the windscreen wipers in the Santro, apart from the regular services. Even in case of the i10 also, had to replace minor parts only during the regular services. Ofcourse I have replaced the battery and all the four tires and refilled the air conditioner a couple of times.
There was no specific reason for me to have chosen Hyundai cars. I bought Santro as I had liked driving my friend's Santro. After Santro when I looked for a new car in 2009, I took TD of few cars and liked driving the i10. Also it seemed the best value for money to me at about 4L OTR (after availing discounts).
After reading the posts in this thread, I am sceptical about Hyundais now. Seems the newer cars are not reliable any more. I have a plan to change my i10 in next two to three years. And then there is the fifteen year rule for petrol cars in NCR. I think I will not consider any Hyundai model this time.
Dhruba_Nazira is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 03:26   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthor View Post

Another photo of the part so you can share with a FNG or the Service Center to source it. I'd recommend getting it changed as a sudden loss of power steering could result in an unpleasant outcomes.
Many many thanks. Much appreciated.

Does anyone here know of a friendly neighborhood garage in the Delhi region who is competent enough to do this? It'll be even better if it is near or within Dwarka.
rahul_jo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 09:08   #177
BHPian

My god!! This thread has reached to 12 pages in a span of just 5 days from its release! There are so many troubled Hyundai customers and guess its about time that Hyundai takes this seriously. The sheer number of repeated issues is enough testimony to the quality issues of Hyundai cars.
We generally talk about quality of a any new car / any reviews that we see where they mention about the robust quality of the parts used by Hyundai. These are generally limited to the dashboard quality, the door trim, sheet metal, etc. But what actually is of paramount importance are these mechanical & electrical components which if fail, can be a situation of life or death sometimes. This thread makes me seriously re-think my decision to go for a Hyundai car in the future. I was actually looking forward to the upcoming i20; but I guess that thought will have to be parked for now.
I just hope that Hyundai is listening to voice of the troubled customers here and taking some effective measures soon then later.
ashvek3141 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 11:03   #178
Senior - BHPian

Superb thread Crazy Driver, and about time someone exposed this Company. They should takes these criticisms positively and work on the safety aspect (like how they do overseas). My good friend Arijit picked up his i20 Asta in 2010 and quickly realised that there is something wrong with the brakes. He just could not predict when it would work, and when it wouldn't. He found that he was putting his family in grave danger. After multiple visits to the dealership and no resolution, he finally filed a court case in 2013. The court ruled in his favour but Hyundai did not honour. Then Hyundai got in touch with his lawyer and that guy persuaded my friend to drop his case (my friend had lost a lot of time by then and was not willing to go the whole hog). My friend just sold his car and moved on. What else can a busy man do!
Sebring is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 11:46   #179
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I got the 2nd sevice done yesterday for my 1.6 Petrol Manual Creta and i have the following doubts:-

1.The wheel rotation was not done and reason given was that its only done during/after wheel balancing.Is that true as i dont understand the logic behind it.

2.While cleaning the rear brakes i observed some rusting and i wanted to check if thats normal.Svc center says the material is like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-screenshot_20200621114555_gallery.jpg  

Artyom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 13:56   #180
BHPian

This is a superb thread. I'm also a victim in a small way. I have highlighted in the Creta thread about a frightful experience my family and I encountered when climbing the hills to Ooty when the car suddenly shut off and refused to start. It then started later on. This has happened on several occasions but no Hyundai person has been able to exactly say why. Also the driver side carpet tore in a few months from purchase out of the blue, just a few months after regular use. The hunt for the problem goes on. Some of my observations dealing with Hyundai..
1) They muscle you into giving a super rating after service. They call and irritate so much that until you give them an excellent rating your peace of mind is off. This artificially boosts their image and quality in the market and they can dominate surveys.
2). National culture: My friend is in a senior position in a Korean company and has worked for 1.5 decades. Hes been in Korea for sometime and deeply associates even on a personal level with them. He says Koreans are more interested in Dhanda, I.e business, making money etc. They dont have the German and Japanese mindset of perfection and quality before anything attitude. Quality is not a national obsession.
3) Gimmickry: This same friend will swear on anything that Sony makes better TVs than Samsung but the latter is the leader because of gimmicks. He said they provide ultra high quality DVDs to TV stores for display so the TV appears much better than what it actually is and the customer is actually conned.
In effect I'm not buying Korean again. Japanese or German only.
car love is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed