Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 10:08   #241
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortons15 View Post
The GNCAP is only a frontal offset crash test at 64kmph, which in my opinion does not reflect most real world accident scenarios.
A cursory glance through the GNCAP website told me this isn't true.
They do a side impact test too. Here's a video of the XUV300 tested at the GNCAP - look at 54 second onwards in this video.

Quote:
Euro NCAP on the other hand tests all kinds of impact, including vehicle safety systems like ESP and driver aids that seriously help in preventing accidents most of the time.
As another comment above has mentioned, GNCAP also does check for this separately. You could refer to pointers 3 to 5 on this link - http://www.globalncap.org/mahindra-x...-choice-award/

Euro NCAP is more comprehensive, no doubt because of the regulations in the European Union being much more stringent. So IMO, we should not be calling GNCAP testing rudimentary when it is so much more than what Indian regulations require as the bare-minimum.
Shreyas_H is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 10:48   #242
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
They do a side impact test too. Here's a video of the XUV300 tested at the GNCAP - look at 54 second onwards in this video.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=wKDJiU2b7Mc

As another comment above has mentioned, GNCAP also does check for this separately. You could refer to pointers 3 to 5 on this link - http://www.globalncap.org/mahindra-x...-choice-award/

Euro NCAP is more comprehensive, no doubt because of the regulations in the European Union being much more stringent. So IMO, we should not be calling GNCAP testing rudimentary when it is so much more than what Indian regulations require as the bare-minimum.
I think the test you are referring to is the standard regulatory test that is required to be met to sell a vehicle in India. GNCAP gives weightage to results of standard Side Impact test as per AIS.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 14:56   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Guess most crashes would've a braking involved compared to crashes sans braking.
Exactly my point as well. Losing control while panic braking/steering could lead to a mishap. ESC and other systems could help completely avoid such scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
GNCAP also do test the ESC, not during the crash but separately and the points are integrated into the overall safety rating. Side impacts and whiplash protection are tested too.
I do not see any mention of ESC tests, side mobile barrier/pole impacts (imagine hitting a tree sideways or skidding into oncoming traffic on the other side of motorways) or whiplash tests in the attached file and anywhere on the GNCAP website. ABS sure, but not ESC; and SBR = Seat Belt Reminder. I would love to be proved wrong - for all our sakes, since the intention is to make safer cars for India. Not another Made-for-India/Africa safety test vs Euro NCAP/IIHS which are comprehensive, in my opinion.

Quote:
Thanks for linking this. But I still fail to see the side impact tests of say the last 3 cars they tested: the S-Presso, Grand i10 Nios and the Seltos.

The test is supposed to be standardized, is it not?

Quote:
Euro NCAP is more comprehensive, no doubt because of the regulations in the European Union being much more stringent
Again, the only thing is don't like is the double standard. The testing agency should be irrespective of regulations/nations. It is for all humanity. They are not a government body; they must test cars for occupant safety, period.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th January 2021 at 18:00. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the EDIT / Multi-QUOTE function within 30 minutes of posting.
Old 18th November 2020, 15:18   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not see any mention of ESC tests,
ABS sure, but not ESC;

Watch from 34:05 for the point on ESC. The gentleman speaking is Alejandro Furas, Secretary General of Global NCAP.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 18th November 2020 at 15:21.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 15:42   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Again, the only thing is don't like is the double standard. The testing agency should be irrespective of regulations/nations. It is for all humanity. They are not a government body; they must test cars for occupant safety, period.
You are probably confused. GNCAP and Euro-NCAP are different entities. GNCAP is more focused on markets like India and Africa where they are running a campaign for safer cars. I don't see any double standards because these are completely different and independent entities (despite their names being similar). There's Japan NCAP, Euro NCAP, Latin NCAP, Chinese NCAP, Korean NCAP and more possibly. They all operate independently and their results are not inter-changeable.

You are right, I did see the side impact tests for only some cars (interestingly they are high rated cars). Possibly they do the side impact tests only if the frontal impact tests cross a certain score threshold? Maybe some better informed members can pitch in here.
Old 18th November 2020, 15:54   #246
BHPian

Quote:
You are right, I did see the side impact tests for only some cars (interestingly they are high rated cars). Possibly they do the side impact tests only if the frontal impact tests cross a certain score threshold? Maybe some better informed members can pitch in here.
I maybe wrong on this one.

The cars I remember being tested for side impact tests "recently" are Nexon, Altroz and XUV 3OO. They were provided by Tata and Mahindra voluntarily for testing, so GNCAP could do it without buying another car. But in the Seltos, i10 and S-Presso case, they had to buy them. We all know their present financial condition, so we may conclude upon that front.

Shreyas
Shreyas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 16:13   #247
BHPian

Quote:
You are probably confused. GNCAP and Euro-NCAP are different entities. GNCAP is more focused on markets like India and Africa
I understand this point but I just can't agree with it, when the tests and results are so different with every entity. We should always strive to better existing standards, not have a "this-will-do-for-this-country" kind of attitude when it comes to safety in current times. It's just my wishful thinking that everyone gets treated the same around the world. The product (automobile) is the same, the passengers will get hurt the same irrespective of color/nation, the roadways are the same, the speeds are more or less the same (120kmph) save for Europe, and our roads are probably more dangerous based on our conditions and driving habits. The reasoning you had quoted would have been acceptable 30-40 years back in India when owning a car by itself was a big thing, but we've come so far ahead now.

In my mind, it's like saying "Hey the water here in this country is clean, safe and your kids can drink straight out of the tap, here's 5 stars", and also saying "Hey the water in your country is somewhat unsafe to drink, but considering it's India and Africa, it's okay so here's 5 stars for you as well".
hortons15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 16:20   #248
BHPian

Quote:
GNCAP tests side impacts only if the cars has scored good points and if the car needs to qualify for 5* ratings. This is mentioned in the above Youtube video starting from around 38:30.
K_Drive is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 11:22   #249
BHPian

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-screenshot_20201119111806_facebook.jpg

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-screenshot_20201119111814_facebook.jpg

Another serious seltos crash due to tyre burst.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2372...4297791558553/

Quote:
Hello guys (All Owners)

Hope all of you had a happy Diwali.

I want to share a recent incident. While travelling with my family, suddenly my Seltos' driver-side front tyre burst and I lost control (it is obvious) as I was driving at 60-70 km/h. Due to this sudden movement, I hit the bike coming from the opposite direction.

Now, the biker was badly hit and injured his hand (fracture and nerves broken). No other injuries to any part of the body. My family (wife and 2 kids) all are safe, including me. I bought my Kia Seltos in July'20 - as of now no issues and I am quite happy with the overall performance.

But I have doubts on the tyre quality (Goodyear). So I sent a complaint email to the Kia Dealer @ Pune and Goodyear. Since it concerns safety, company should take an immediate call on this & should change and upgrade to some other good brand (Michelin or MRF) to all sold and new cars.

I am pushing the company for these tyre safety norms and request you all to take immediate action on this from your side as well.

Complaint to : gy_care@goodyear.com

I have not observed any other issues in the car in these 9,700 kms.

Thanks
Regards
Nilesh Sontakke

Note from Support:

Dear BHPian,

There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 20th November 2020 at 07:24. Reason: Note inline
Old 25th November 2020, 16:21   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Are any of you facing similar issues with Hyundai? Wonder if Toyota/Honda/VW sedans etc are any better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Well I don't agree with the statement with quality issue related to Hyundai
Wake up & smell the coffee! This thread is real. Check out all the various issues mentioned by all the posts in this goldmine(?) of a thread!

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 25th November 2020 at 16:22.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 00:57   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai, Kia Delay In Recalling Faulty Cars – Results In $210m Penalty (Rs 1,553 Cr)

Quote:
The US Auto Safety Regulatory body found the sister Korean auto brands guilty of reporting inaccurate information regarding vehicle recalls

In a major development, the US units of Hyundai Motor Co. and Kia Motors have agreed to pay a hefty sum of $210 million as a penalty to US Auto safety regulators as the brands failed to recall 1.6 million vehicles for engine issues in a timely fashion. The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said that the two sister Korean auto brands agreed to consent orders after the agency found them guilty of reporting inaccurate information regarding the recalls to NHTSA. The vehicles in question ran the risk of catching engine fire. Distribution of Penalty Hyundai agreed to pledge a total of $140 million (Rs 1,035 crore) as a civil penalty including an upfront payment of $54 million, an obligation to spend $40 million on safety performance measures. An additional $46 million penalty will be deferred if the company does not meet the above requirements.

Kia, on the other hand, has faced a penalty of which totals up to $70 million (Rs 518 crore) including an upfront payment of $27 million and a further $16 million to be invested on specified safety measures. It will be obligated to an additional penalty of $27 million in case the company fails to meet the above requirements. Hyundai Santa Fe The settlement covers recall in 2015 and 2017 for manufacturing issues that could lead to bearing wear and engine failure.

As a part of this settlement, Hyundai had agreed to invest $40 million in order to build a safety field test and inspection laboratory in the United States. This facility would be implementing new IT systems for better analysis of safety data.

Earlier Incidents: For reference, these settlements are separate from ongoing NHTSA investigations of non-crash fires in certain Hyundai and Kia cars. Some of these cars with faulty engines have been recalled. Similarly in August 2014, Hyundai had agreed to pay a $17.35 million fine to settle an NHTSA investigation regarding the delayed recall of 43,500 Genesis cars to fix a brake defect linked to two incidents. NHTSA at that time suggested Hyundai to “change the way it deals with safety-related defects”.
Hope Hyundai and Kia India also go through the same thing!
https://www.rushlane.com/hyundai-kia...-12384971.html .
CEF_Beasts is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 21:16   #252
BHPian

Reporting regarding Hyundai Verna 2019 -

1. Excessive grinding and grating noise present from Day One, while manipulating the brake pedal from stop, disappears after car warms up.

2. Reduction gear in steering assembly replaced at 27K Km because of excessive sound coming from steering column.

3. Sunroof Sliding Cover makes sound while rolling it back shut.

4. Sunroof grinding sound while opening.

5. Intermittent rattle in the seat-belt height adjustment.

6. Driver's Seat makes a knocking sound while my weight shifts around while driving in the hills.

Regarding 2019 Seltos:

1. Poor acceleration in 1st gear.

2. Rattling sound from rear seat.

3. Android Auto compatibility and bug issues.

4. Rattling from co-driver's seat.

5. Rattling from the massive touchscreen plastic slab.

Our family's next car will be a Toyota for sure,
Hopefully they are more reliable.
carnutfrombanga is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 19:58   #253
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I think Hyundai's approach here will be to let the news die out in teambhp itself. They have control over other media and can hush up the news. What is the duration of a new item staying in TeamBHP homepage? I think it is about a week. Wait out that period and Hyundai is safe. They enjoy that kind of brand recall, and people will forget all about these as one off instances. If they issue a statement, it will only help the news stay in limelight.
Couldn't help but think of it again and again, despite numerous issues none(almost none) of the automotive websites or journalists dared to report the Hyundai/Kia issues, seems like this is how Hyundai got away all these years and now Kia is doing the same, most of the owners suffering with problems thought that theirs is a one-off case. Even the new gen-Creta seems to have issues which were obviously being brushed under carpet by the so called auto journalists and websites.

Here's an example of a website picking news from this forum, but they(all or most of the websites) were blind to Hyundai/Kia issues.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 05:32   #254
Senior - BHPian

Folks , this is a thread for Hyundai cars . Lets not mix Hyundai and Kia. They are manufactured separately , sold and serviced independently. We must report any issues with the new gen Creta by all means, but lets not relate the Seltos and Creta or their other models for any specific instance.Its high time we put this distinction in place.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 20th January 2021 at 05:36.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 15:44   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Folks , this is a thread for Hyundai cars . Lets not mix Hyundai and Kia. They are manufactured separately , sold and serviced independently. We must report any issues with the new gen Creta by all means, but lets not relate the Seltos and Creta or their other models for any specific instance.Its high time we put this distinction in place.
There is a reason why Hyundai & Kia clubbed together for the technical issue. Its that they are sister companies, sharing platforms, powertrains, components, suppliers, manufacturing facilities and many more. So, the fundamental design/ component issues are like to be also 'shared'.

Even the parts have stamping/ markings for both Hyundai & Kia at the same time. Check the official review of both OEMs here on Team-BHP for examples.
AutoNoob is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks