Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2021, 19:47   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

They may share resources and some of the ecosystem but they have individual / separate liabilities and responsibilities towards the consumer. So everything works backwards from there.
Old 17th March 2021, 17:27   #257
BANNED

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

According to the OP, it's an accident due to brake failure in Creta.

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-fb_img_1615982073365.jpg

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-fb_img_1615982087223.jpg

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-fb_img_1615982091723.jpg

Link

Last edited by wheelguy : 17th March 2021 at 17:35.
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 20:10   #258
BHPian

I'm so glad I came across this thread. My dad owned a Hyundai Eon (bought new in 2013). It was only driven by him and occasionally by me when I visited him during vacation time.

The first major issue came in 2019 (peculiarly when the warranty/extended warranty ended), with the odometer reading showing 28000 Kms, the EPS failed and he had to get it repaired by paying out of his pocket. Hyundai Service center simply washed off their hands by saying "it happens".

Next year, early 2020, with the odometer showing 30000 Kms, the coolant started leaking by itself, and after multiple visits to the service centre, they were able to finally fix it somehow, but dad had to bear the costs (almost Rupees 10000), with the service centre stating "it happens once in a blue moon sometimes". Onto second half of 2020, with the COVID situation and the odometer at 32000 Kms, lo and behold, the airbag light on the MID kept blinking and wouldn't go off. Went to the service centre, they advised the module has gone kaput, and repair cost would be Rupees 15000.

My dad met the service centre manager to ask why the service centre visits have become so frequent and why his car, a Hyundai, is having so many issues, despite being regularly serviced by the authorized service centre at specified intervals. But he didn't have any reply and kept blaming my dad's driving style (my dad is a retired army officer btw, a senior citizen, follows all the road traffic rules, and barely crosses 60-70 even on the highways). He was very rude to my dad.

My dad finally lost his cool and gave him an earful. I was pissed off too and had enough of this callous and irresponsible attitude of Hyundai to its customer, and advised dad to sell off the car, and we finally did sell it off. I thought that we were unfortunate to have received a "lemon" which happens to very few. But when I came across this thread, I came to know we were not alone. Who says owning a Hyundai is affordable and worry free?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th March 2021 at 07:08. Reason: Splitting the post into paras for better readability. Thanks.
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 00:37   #259
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3r1ckblu3 View Post
I'm so glad I came across this thread. My dad owned a Hyundai Eon (bought new in 2013). It was only driven by him and occasionally by me when I visited him during vacation time. The first major issue came in 2019 (peculiarly when the warranty/extended warranty ended), with the odometer reading showing 28000 Kms, the EPS failed and he had to get it repaired by paying out of his pocket. Hyundai Service center simply washed off their hands by saying "it happens".

Next year, early 2020, with the odometer showing 30000 Kms, the coolant started leaking by itself, and after multiple visits to the service centre, they were able to finally fix it somehow, but dad had to bear the costs (almost Rupees 10000), with the service centre stating "it happens once in a blue moon sometimes".

Onto second half of 2020, with the COVID situation and the odometer at 32000 Kms, lo and behold, the airbag light on the MID kept blinking and wouldn't go off. Went to the service centre, they advised the module has gone kaput, and repair cost would be Rupees 15000.
You aren't alone, here's a recent post by another bhpian regarding EPS failure:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Completing 3 years with the Verna (SX(O) - Petrol - MT) this week.

Over past couple of months, there was a low noise from the steering while turning, at low speeds. On inspection the service center said the EPS motor has to be replaced. It was replaced under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3r1ckblu3 View Post
I thought that we were unfortunate to have received a "lemon" which happens to very few. But when I came across this thread, I came to know we were not alone. Who says owning a Hyundai is affordable and worry free?
Many thought their's was a lemon, that's how Hyundai got away for years and is getting away now.

And thanks to the media manipulations, people were unreasonably forgiving towards Hyundai which other manufacturers cannot even dream of.
wheelguy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 22:34   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
3. When I thought my problems are finally over, the clutch plates were worn out. The clutch kept slipping. This is a very common problem in Verna and Creta. The car ran only 9k kms by then. My father just couldn’t believe this. My Toyota Innova ran more than 200k kms before we had to change the clutch plates. FYI, it was not because the clutch was slipping, we changed it only because I complained that the clutch was hard and was giving me knee pain.

4. I reach 20k kms and the clutch goes kaput again. AGAIN . I couldn’t believe this and my father and I were done dealing with this unreliable junk and changed the clutch plates and sold the car. All of this in just two years.
THIS, is exactly what I am facing with my 2015 Creta P MT too!!

The clutch started giving problems @ 40k kms. It wasn’t slipping as such, or any typically problem of clutch wear out; but the clutch action was very hard. I used to get terrible knee pain on driving for just 30 kms.

Initially, I tried everything from clutch bleeding to even replacement of the Master & slave cylinder. But nothing solved the problem. Thankfully, this was covered under the extended warranty but it didn’t help. Finally, Hyundai said that the clutch set needs to be replaced which unfortunately is not covered under the warranty.
They gave me a quote of approx 20k INR.

I bit them goodbye, and got it done at a FNG for 11.5k INR.

But to my bad luck, in just 3k kms, the problem seems to show its ugly face again!

I seriously fail to understand what the heck is the issue here?? Is Hyundai even selling sub-standard spare parts?? Coz the FNG is a trusted one and for sure he won’t resort to any unfair practices.

This problem is killing the whole driving experience for me. Really annoyed with this problem & I seriously don’t understand how to tackle this issue.

Aside, my 9 year old Swift Diesel with 112k odo is running on factory clutch set & is way better than the crappy Hyundai clutch.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 30th March 2021 at 22:36.
ashvek3141 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 22:52   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
THIS, is exactly what I am facing with my 2015 Creta P MT too!!

The clutch started giving problems @ 40k kms. It wasn’t slipping as such, or any typically problem of clutch wear out; but the clutch action was very hard. I used to get terrible knee pain on driving for just 30 kms.

Initially, I tried everything from clutch bleeding to even replacement of the Master & slave cylinder. But nothing solved the problem. Thankfully, this was covered under the extended warranty but it didn’t help. Finally, Hyundai said that the clutch set needs to be replaced which unfortunately is not covered under the warranty.
They gave me a quote of approx 20k INR.

I bit them goodbye, and got it done at a FNG for 11.5k INR.

But to my bad luck, in just 3k kms, the problem seems to show its ugly face again!

I seriously fail to understand what the heck is the issue here?? Is Hyundai even selling sub-standard spare parts?? Coz the FNG is a trusted one and for sure he won’t resort to any unfair practices.

This problem is killing the whole driving experience for me. Really annoyed with this problem & I seriously don’t understand how to tackle this issue.

Aside, my 9 year old Swift Diesel with 112k odo is running on factory clutch set & is way better than the crappy Hyundai clutch.
I had driven a friends Creta Diesel which had done 40 thousand kilometers then and man, the clutch was like a stone. He got it changed a few thousand kilometers after I drove it because he just could not drive the car in the city with that heavy a clutch

After I drove his car, when I came to my lakh kilometer run Swift Diesel's clutch, I stalled the car once because it felt so light that I just let it out with a bang.

Kia or Hyundai, I would just stay away. For me in India its only Maruti or Toyota or at the max a Tata or Mahindra.

Just FYI, when you changed the clutch, was the pressure plate changed?

Secondly, not everyone out there knows how to bleed the clutch. I have seen bade bade chatur do it wrong and send in more air in the system than remove it. I suggest you check out some Youtube video's on how exactly its done with the science behind it and then go to the service station and ask them to follow the steps you will ask them to follow. This most probably will solve your problem.

Last edited by humyum : 30th March 2021 at 23:08.
humyum is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 23:00   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I had driven a friends Creta Diesel which had done 40 thousand kilometers then and man, the clutch was like a stone. He got it changed a few thousand kilometers after I drove it because he just could not drive the car in the city with that heavy a clutch

After I drove his car, when I came to my lakh kilometer run Swift Diesel's clutch, I stalled the car once because it felt so light that I just let it out with a bang.
This used to happen with me too when the factory clutch of my Creta started giving problems.

Like I said, my 112k kms driven Swift’s clutch still feels great in comparison, inspite of it being a Diesel & the Creta, a Petrol. What Irony!

Quote:
Just FYI, when you changed the clutch, was the pressure plate changed?
Yes, clutch plate, pressure plate & the release bearing were changed.

Quote:
Secondly, not everyone out there knows how to bleed the clutch. I have seen bade bade chatur do it in wrong and send in more air in the system than remove it. I suggest you check out some Youtube video's on how exactly its done with the science behind it and then go to the service station and ask them to follow the steps you will ask them to follow. This most probably will solve your problem.
This was when I got the bleeding done at Hyundai. But post that, I got the clutch set, etc. changed from my trusted FNG. But now after 3k kms, I am seeing that the issue is surfacing again! This is my biggest worry, as to how even after replacing the set the problem is recurring?

Maybe there’s something else that is going wrong here?
ashvek3141 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 23:07   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This was when I got the bleeding done at Hyundai. But post that, I got the clutch set, etc. changed from my trusted FNG. But now after 3k kms, I am seeing that the issue is surfacing again! This is my biggest worry, as to how even after replacing the set the problem is recurring?

Maybe there’s something else that is going wrong here?
But when you got the clutch changed at FNG, air went into the system as with the clutch change, the release bearing was changed which is run by hydraulics.

https://barsleaks.com/uncategorized/...raulic-clutch/

I highly think you should try bleeding again, check the link on top. It has the exact steps on how clutch should be bled. I have got my neighboring Maruti service station to follow exactly this and my clutch has remain butter. Although we are comparing different vehicles but a badly bled clutch can really make a new one feel like it has run ten's of thousands of kilometers.

Last edited by humyum : 30th March 2021 at 23:13.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 23:11   #264
BHPian

Quote:
But when you got the clutch changed at FNG, air went into the system as with the clutch change, the release bearing was changed which is run by hydraulics.

https://barsleaks.com/uncategorized/...raulic-clutch/

I highly think you should try bleeding again, check the link on top. It has the exact steps on how clutch should be bleed. I have got my neighboring Maruti service station to follow exactly this and my clutch has remain butter. Although we are comparing different vehicles but a badly bled clutch can really make a new one feel like it has run ten's of thousands of kilometers.
Agree! I am planning to visit the FNG in a day o two for this. Can’t live with this poor clutch. Especially, driving the car in city is a pain.

Shall have a word with him on this & follow these steps. Let’s see if it helps! Anyway, clutch bleeding is the cheapest solution for now, may not be the easiest though (if not done right)!

Thanks!
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 23:18   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kia or Hyundai, I would just stay away. For me in India its only Maruti or Toyota or at the max a Tata or Mahindra.
I have a different experience to share. The clutch on a 40k run Baleno petrol hatch felt a whole lot harder than my 90k run WagonR. I had been driving this Baleno frequently since the day it was bought. No slippage but the clutch progressively went from super soft to very hard for sure. A 30k run Swift petrol also had harder clutch than mine.

Which Maruti car will you blame here?

The lone Creta I have driven, a 1.4D, had hard clutch too but it was livable.

Last edited by ashis89 : 30th March 2021 at 23:20.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 11:49   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Agree! I am planning to visit the FNG in a day o two for this. Can’t live with this poor clutch. Especially, driving the car in city is a pain.
Looks like the clutch problems of my Creta aren't going to end soon.

Took the car to the FNG to check for the occasional hardening and the intermittent hinderance / blockage observed during depressing the clutch, especially during cold start.

Got a feedback from the FNG guy that the hinderance / blockage that I witness during cold start or when the vehicle is parked for sometime is due to the CLUTCH FORK and RETAINER SPRING gone bad. The spring has developed a play apparently which is causing this problem.

But what is more concerning is that the Pressure plate has gone flat!!! This is a NEW Pressure plate which I had replaced a few months back and have driven hardly 3000 kms with it.

Due to the clutch hardening issue, I had got the Clutch set changed at ~48k kms and now my car is at 52k kms with the same problem cropping up. I am completely in dark and don't understand what to do here.

The FNG guy too is confused as how can the pressure plate go flat in just 3k kms?? All the more, there are absolutely no signs of clutch being ridden, as that is the primary cause for the pressure plate to go flat.

I seriously don't understand this chain of events that are happening with the clutch since a few hundred kms now. My car is 5.5 years and 52k kms old; but these problem have started cropping about 5-6 months back at ~ 45k kms. So I got the factory clutch changed including the pressure plate and release bearing at 48k kms. It worked well for a few kms and post 3k kms, it's the same story again!!

The car is at FNG with no conclusion on the exact root cause. Even if I change the Pressure plate now (which I have to, since it has gone flat); I am not sure if that'll solve the problem and that I won't end up in the same situation another 3-4k kms down the line.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 8th April 2021 at 11:55.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 12:17   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the clutch problems of my Creta aren't going to end soon.
Who is your FNG guy? Which city? If around Margao then I can connect you with my FNG.
Old 8th April 2021, 12:50   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Who is your FNG guy? Which city? If around Margao then I can connect you with my FNG.
My FNG is one in Panjim - St. Inez, just a few metres ahead of Madhuban Complex. Apparently he's a technically sound guy and has been building rally cars. He's a BHPian too.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 14:42   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess it’s time to add another quality issue for the 1st Gen Creta, this time being Power Window Motor Pre-mature Failure. From the official review looks like 2017 are the ones affected, mine included.

BHPian Xtremeshock:
Quote:
I am facing some electrical problems in the car, first time I had Window button for the passenger side which stopped working and not the Auto folding has stopped working, anyone else facing these issues?
D-BHPian naveen.raju:
Quote:
I had the same issue. The left side windows (front and rear passenger) stopped working. When I had consulted with HASS during the last service, they advice me to replace the motor even without diagnosing the issue. Went to a FNG, they opened the door pads, cleaned and lubricated it. They said it's a common problem in older Hyundais. Asked me to operate these windows occasionally.
BHPian ashvek3141:
Quote:
This is a common issue in the 1st gen Creta’s I believe. The motors of all the 4 power windows in my car have been replaced under warranty.
BHPian BLACNWYTE:
Quote:
I too faced the same issue twice since I got the car in 2017. Most of the time I'm the only occupant in the car and even with passengers we seldom operate the windows. Essentially the rear windows remains closed for months on end. First time o faced this problem was about six months after purchase, the rear left passenger window was responding from the driver side controls. I got out and operated it form the rear door and it rolled down and up. No issues then from operating using driver side controls. The other time was towards the end of 2019, when my wife tried to open the rear right window. This time it was not operable from both door switch and driver side switch. I turned off the ignition and waited for 30 second then tried again and it started working from both switches. I didn't consult anyone regarding this since this was a one off case and I thought it might be because of me not using the window switches much. Then onwards I make it a point to roll down and up all windows once a week. And since 2019 the issue has not resurfaced.
BHPian sujithsidhardha:
Quote:
I too had power window-related issues twice and expect another one soon. The first issue was with the front left window, which was not operating with the passenger side switch, but the same was working from the driver side. As per HASS, it was a problem with the switch and was replaced under warranty. During last year August PMS, HASS intimated that the rear left power window motor had an intermittent issue and was replaced under warranty on their own. Anyway, there was no issue when I did an overall check before PMS.

I religiously operate all electricals once a week. During last week process, the front left passenger window was not working with passenger side and driver side switches. Anyway, tried a couple of times and got it working.

Meanwhile, mine is also a 2017 model. One of my friend who took delivery along with me also had the power window issue once and got the motor replaced under warranty. It seems there is some quality issue around the power window components.
BHPian Torque_Curve:
Quote:
I too have faced the power window issue and both the rear motors have been replaced under warranty. I have a feeling this issue will crop up again. Mine is a 2017 Creta as well.
Mine:
Quote:
Same issue here as well, I have a 17’ Creta and the rear left power window motor has been changed under warranty by HASS themselves.

And now recently the co-driver side window stopped working from both co-driver switch and driver side switch. But few days later it started working on its own!
Now I understand this isn’t a serious quality issue and is an electric part which sees some dust and rain water accumulating in the channel, but the motor conking off in 3.5-4 years for mostly 2017 owners is strange.

For reference my other 2 cars are 7 years old, (3.5 years more than my Creta) and none have seen a window motor changed till date.

So has Hyundai India used the right material for channels or is the motor for the 1st gen Creta a cheap one?

Other MY 1st Gen Creta owners please chip in whether your power window motors have failed as well or is it linked to only the 2017 MY specifically.

S-BHPian A4anurag’s car hasn’t seen this issue yet
Quote:
I may be lucky but yet to have any issues with the power windows so far in my '17 Creta.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...t-gen-190.html (Review: Hyundai Creta (1st-gen))

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 17th May 2021 at 15:04.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 15:10   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post

Other MY 1st Gen Creta owners please chip in whether your power window motors have failed as well or is it linked to only the 2017 MY specifically.
The same problem is there in my 2015 i20. The front passenger side switch doesn't work, but I can operate the same window from the driver side. I believe, the fault lies in the switches.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks