Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2020, 10:21   #16
BANNED

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
And let me also add - I've earlier shared screenshots from Gmaps reviews of a Hyundai service center in Chennai; there are lots of Creta owners out there who aren't members of this forum, who have experienced brake failure at high speeds. Hyundai hasn't addressed the core of the issue for them either.
Creta brakes failure is one serious issue that is being ignored by Hyundai since years, few are complaining that brakes were not working if driven on potholed roads. Came across this Change.org petition regarding the same.

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-hyundai-motors-india-ltd-serious-brake-issue-hyundai-creta-change-org.png
wheelguy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 10:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

Apart from the steering issue, I had rusted steering knuckle in my 2014 Grand i10 CRDi. Here is the link to post (Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review). While Hyundai has always provided segment best NVH, interior quality, seemingly better overall build than rival products from Maruti and handsome feature list, they failed in basics. When for the steering knuckle rust issue I was in touch with Ahmedabad office, they were like, this is the best from my side, do what you can. Their words on phone and over email are entirely different. Henceforth, I was redirected to the dealer/service center without any resolution or even a half hearted attempt. Felt like I am banging my head on a wall. My Grand i10 also had inconsistent brakes and once while returning from Pavagarh, I had a tough time. Then I had some engine issue which was shrugged off by Hyundai and its service center employees said its all due to my fault of not noticing CEL. After certain testing, they gave the car back to me and it never felt the same again. Traded if off with 2015 Swift and it has been superb experience as far as reliability goes. Hyundai was the only non Japanese car we bought and despite the fact I am getting some good offers to replace my Swift (which lacks ABS), buying a Hyundai does seem to be a gamble. Hyundai hasnt earned the trust.
aaggoswami is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 10:48   #18
BHPian

There are couple of issues which I wanted to report here. The car in question is the current gen Verna.

1) The touch screen conks off when I drive under hot and humid conditions. It will come back to life once it had cooled down. Have never heard about this anytime from other owners. Also the reverse camera calibration is slightly off the mark and does not accurately show the surroundings. I have to adjust based on the ORVM and IRVM visibility.

2) I hear massive moving parts sound from brake assembly whenever the car goes over potholes or over speed breaker while braking. It is very disconcerting and not sure if there is a loose assembly somewhere. HASS could not find the root cause. Have adjusted my driving style to stop this noise.
arunramaswamy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 10:48   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Sujai, appreciate in compiling this detailed thread. Super useful for all who thinks it's a "stress free ride when you buy an Hyundai". Well, it's definitely not. This totally reminds of Skoda many years back. Wonderful cars let down by pathetic after sales support. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hyundai in such a state few years from now.

Am absolutely appalled by the lack of response from Hyundai even when I contacted many top executives and the thread on TeamBHP being highlighted by many.

I have lost all hope on Hyundai and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. In fact, the 3rd Hyundai from our garage left us last year, Grand i10 might leave next year but the Creta should remain for few more years but no HASS from now.

I should be the only BHPian with 3 individual threads ranting Hyundai. Maybe that's why those guys are avoiding me .

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ll-owners.html (Hyundai Creta: Serious brake failure issue (must-read for all owners))

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...continues.html (Brand New V Belt snaps in Grand i10 - My ordeal with Hyundai continues)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...s-3-years.html (Popular Hyundai, Vyttila - Pathetic service continues for 3 years!)

The shocking truth is even when many BHPians reported on braking issues, many others (non BHPians) dropped in PM's on Facebook and even mailed me reporting of their experiences as well. It's same 15 to 20 cars all together.

My suggestion to TeamBHP:
1) This wonderful thread should be permanently pinned on the homepage.
2) On all Hyundai reviews, high time this statement to be replaced "Hyundai's competent after-sales & fuss-free ownership experiences" with "Hit or a miss - *post this thread's link* ".
naveen.raju is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 10:54   #20
Team-BHP Support

On a separate note - Adding my own experience as well.

We have a 2014 Hyundai Xcent SX(o) AT in the family - a perfect product on paper for our requirements and still remains so - six years after the purchase! The car is used by parents within the city primarily and has run only 25k km within 6 years of ownership.

BUT - I have faced the below issues with Hyundai and the product.

1. ABS sensor issues. One failed right after the annual service in 2017. Next one failed right after the annual service in 2018. ABS warning lamp is ON as we speak and needs another visit to the service center.
2. Brakes occasionally feel wooden and have zero bite on potholes or rumble strips. No - this is not regular ABS behaviour. But thankfully - no major issues faced like the ones mentioned for the Creta either. Unnerving, but manageable.

3. Crankshaft pulley broke off during this lockdown period and the car was not useable for a month. This happened when moving the car out of the parking bay - and the parts even fell in the garage only. Cost was 18.7k and no explanation provided for the material failure.
4. Thankfully no steering issues like reported by other members - though it does play on the mind. Poor NCAP rating and an unstable platform (Tested after our purchase sadly) don't help with the confidence either.

5. Cost of service/km way higher than my other diesel car! Father used to manage the recent services as the car is used back in hometown, and it is evident that this is what a normal customer would face with Hyundai if he doesn't look into the minor details and fight for it.

That said - the product still remains perfect on paper after all these years and is an extreme delight for their use whenever it is working flawlessly. But - not sure if I would be considering another Hyundai - Kia product when the time comes for my upgrade. (Wife wants a Kia Sonet though!) Unlike the Xcent - this new car would run maybe 10 times more and involves a lot of highway cruising - so definitely can't risk with the fundamentals - even if that requires a compromise on the features.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 12:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
2. Brakes occasionally feel wooden and have zero bite on potholes or rumble strips. No - this is not regular ABS behaviour. But thankfully - no major issues faced like the ones mentioned for the Creta either. Unnerving, but manageable.
Same is true for Seltos and not true for my Octavia the pedal feels hard and pulse of ABS is felt via it.

Last edited by Brishti : 15th June 2020 at 12:41.
Brishti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 12:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
From brakes malfunctioning on the move to the steering wheel turning freely while driving! From engine parts falling off the car to paint peeling off clean from cars! From repeated part failures to cars that break down fresh out of the showroom! If that sounds like I’m talking of some new manufacturer setting up base a shoestring investor budget - that's far from the truth!
Woah! When you read the forum posts about these issues it's easy to brush them off as "one offs" purely based on the sheer volumes sold. But when you compile everything in one post it's Shocking!
There are no saints in this industry but I don't think any other manufacturer (current) has brushed aside issues that are potentially dangerous to passengers and other road users like Hyundai has. Curious to know if they will even acknowledge this.
Thanks for compiling, it must have taken a lot of effort and time, just hope Hyundai wake up and not take our market and lives for granted.
deepfreak15 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 13:07   #23
BHPian

I suppose i am fortunate that the 4 Hyundais in my house are trouble free so far. The oldest is the 1st gen i20 and not surprisingly, the one with no troubles so far. The grand i10 has had some minor faults like the ac system failing but we didn't take it to Hyundai and instead the local garage diagnosed the fault to a small component and it was all good.
The two Cretas are doing fine so far; my Creta is sitting at home ever since "tala lagao" started and dad fires it up and lets it idle for 20 mins and drives it up and down the driveway once; uncle is using the other one and happily roaming around.

Now, after reading through the articles listed out and hearing of stories from other owners, will i recommend Hyundai? Yes and No. I usually do not advise anyone to go for a particular model and make, i simply list out possibilities and tell them to do their own due diligence; some do and some don't. After reading the articles, i will simply be more cautious but i don't have a crystal ball. "Chale toh chaand tak, nahi toh shaam tak" seems strangely apt here.

The lesser i talk about the response from the manufacturer, the better my mood remains; these blithering idiots know only to replace not repair.
i m waiting for the Sonet as well. But will i take the plunge? Maybe after it has been on sale for at least 9 months to a year; by then at least some of the gremlins will come out.
N33raj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 13:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

What frustrates me is that fact that even the international manufacturers who have a well-set recall process in other markets ignore them when it comes to India. All the problems mentioned here can lead to a class-action suit in any other country and should have been fixed with a voluntary recall. Instead, they are addressing them on a case by case basis. Tata and Mahindra are also notorious for these known issues and fixing them on a case by case basis, but as a consolation, at least they lack the international exposure to have the recall procedures.

My own Xcents complaints are also listed in the quoted posts in the first post. In spite of that, I think the average number of failures per 100 cars in a Hyundai is still lesser than our homegrown manufactures. But the impact is higher in case of Hyundai because it is the steering and the brakes that go wrong. So overall risk in case of Hyundai failures in this thread is higher than the niggles that we associate with our Indian bad boys.

Quoting my post from the original brake failure thread below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I think Hyundai's approach here will be to let the news die out in teambhp itself. They have control over other media and can hush up the news. What is the duration of a new item staying in TeamBHP homepage? I think it is about a week. Wait out that period and Hyundai is safe. They enjoy that kind of brand recall, and people will forget all about these as one off instances. If they issue a statement, it will only help the news stay in limelight.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 15th June 2020 at 13:47.
padmrajravi is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 14:00   #25
BHPian

Damn! I thought I was the chosen one. Several members have reported ac compressor failing prematurely.

In my case, happened at around 28000 km ( 3.5 years of ownership). Thankfully it was covered in extended warranty. I shudder to think how much expensive it would be to maintain post 5 years of extended warranty.

Car in questions is elite i20 2016 sportz make run approx 36000 km till date.

On a side note, car maintenance has been on a very high side.

Screenshots of service costs from their app. Service costs do include wheel balancing and alignment.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-screenshot_20200615135455.jpg  

abhipuri is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 14:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

First of all, thank you for compiling so much data and all relevant proofs for future customers. Can not even imagine how much time and effort it must have taken you to create this thread, threads like these are the reason why team bhp's name stands so high.

Though we do not have a Hyundai with us, my cousin owns a Grand i10 and the compressor failed under warranty 2 years back when the car had done 45k kms. He told me last week only that his steering had become rock hard and it felt like his car did not even have a power steering, i googled and was surprised to find so many videos on youtube showing eps failure.

The car was sent to an independent garage and there was something wrong with the eps module, bill was around 12-13k. He is so irritated now and has vowed never to touch any Hyundai product. I used to think that Hyundai is super reliable when it comes to small hatches/sedans just like Maruti Suzuki is but it is sad to see them not responding to recalls or product faults. Is there no grievance redressal in Hyundai, how to escalate the complaint if required?

Similar case was with VW when they knew that any of the injectors in 1.6TDi could fail any time leaving owners stranded but they were shameless not to issue a recall or proactively change them, i mailed them atleast 5 times when my car was running with 2 new and 2 faulty ones but never got a reply and this is the same reason when i had to buy a small city hatch, i did not even consider the polo. You play such antics and you would lose a customer for life, that disgruntled owner will kill more sales with his advice to friends or family.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 15th June 2020 at 14:11.
coolboy007 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 14:08   #27

Quote:
All these 9 issues in addition to the very well known documented issues
  1. Is Hyundai reliable - a safe choice, as customers generally perceive it?-Which side do you think weighs more?
Thank you for posting detailed list of issues with Hyundai. I never owned any Hyundai and don't ever plan to own one (Just an image issue that Hyundai's and Kia's have with me; And a personal choice).

I hope this thread snowballs into forcing these manufacturers in to remedial action. With a not-so-competent legal and regulatory framework, consumers in massive markets like India do not have much of a legal choice except to call out quality/safety/reliability issues in forums like this or work it out with the manufacturer/Dealer. The issues called out here don't seem to be rare for sure. A wake up call for both the brand and consumer.
OldWays is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 14:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Sad that the country's number 2 automotive manufacturer is treating serious safety issues so lightly. If numerous owners/drivers are complaining of failures with the steering and braking systems, one can't ignore it, one shouldn't ignore it.

Hyundai has so much potential, such lovely products otherwise, shame to see that they're going the Skoda way. While India's legal system doesn't inspire any hope of Hyundai being punished for shoddy quality of critical components, our Indians simply won't buy once these complaints come to light and trusted automotive forums such as T-BHP lose faith in these products. Hope Soon soon realizes his folly and takes corrective measures before its too late.
Lalvaz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 15:13   #29
BHPian

I owned a 2010 I20 (1.2l Petrol ASTA) and the amount of niggles and after service was absolutely pathetic. Brace yourselves because this is one hell of a journey:
1. Stuck Fuel Cap: When the car was newly bought, the fuel cap would refuse to open normally, lots of force was required to open it. (Sorted on 1st Service).

2. Transmission failure( 30k kms): The car's transmission started acting funny and the car just refused to move one day. After two months and multiple emails to Trident Hyundai, the car was back. Didn't have to pay anything as car was under warranty.

3. Compressor Failure (70k kms): The AC was always inadequate. The compressor conked off one day. Took almost 3 days to change.

4. Hard gearshifts: After the compressor and Transmission change the gearshifts had become immensely tough to shift but it wouldn't happen all the time.

5. Clutch overhaul(80k kms) During a trop to Hyderabad the clutch started going bad and the car left us stranded on the road. Repaired in Hyderabad.

In my opinion the overall quality and NVH in Hyundai cars is absolutely phenomenal but the parts used and service are of horrible quality.

I loved the i20 but the amount of trouble it gave us and the kind of holes it burnt in our pockets have left a bad taste in our mouths.
Sreesh1009 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 15:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

This is an excellent thread. I hope the following things will happen
i) The esteemed mods and reviewers will now suitably update the review reports of current and new releases with the necessary caveats (of a kind we haven't been used to reading about Hyundai/Kia).
ii) This will hopefully also correct the perception imbalance that exists in our market currently, where Hyundai/Kia is dominating the cars in the price bracket from 7.5 lac to 20 lac.
iii) Other OEMs will also up the ante on quality, and the whole ecosystem will improve.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 15th June 2020 at 15:46.
fhdowntheline is online now   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks