Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2020, 16:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

While the clutch, alternator are more of batch and part quality issues that any made in India car can be plagued with, irrespective of the manufacturer and may not not be life threatening in most cases.

But, brakes and steering are clearly engineering flaws and need to be addressed not just for the future designs but also resolved for the existing customers.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 16:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

Well done crazy_driver for compiling the list. If I may add, the dreaded steering rattle issue on first generation i10s and i20s was another major issue with Hyundais. Multiple visits to the workshops, replacement of steering rack/column, installation of some yoke plug- few of the experiments done on cars of hapless owners to fix the issue.

Coming to the service experience, i had mixed experiences. The one in Junagadh, Gujarat was pretty much useless as far as fixing issues was concerned while the one in Mangalore has been simply brilliant. They even went the extra mile to see to it that any issue with the car was fixed to my satisfaction.
skanchan95 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 17:11   #33
BANNED

CrAzY dRiVeR, the amount of effort you spent for starting this thread is epic! The details furnished here is no less than those available in a Team-BHP review, I guess.

And I didn't know that some Hyundai cars are plagued with these many issues. I remember my second gen Swift had a half clutch + brake issue in speeds less than 10KMs, which itself was a serious issue for me.
Old 15th June 2020, 17:15   #34
BHPian

In my 2014 Fluidic Verna I have changed the EPS motor twice, once in 2016 and once last year.

Both times the technician blamed it on turning the steering to a full lock too many times. I am guilty of this given there is a sharp turn I need to take to enter the office parking, but still a bit disappointing a part hasnt been designed for taking such a turn on a daily basis.
anandhsub is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 17:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
In my 2014 Fluidic Verna I have changed the EPS motor twice, once in 2016 and once last year.

Both times the technician blamed it on turning the steering to a full lock too many times. I am guilty of this given there is a sharp turn I need to take to enter the office parking, but still a bit disappointing a part hasnt been designed for taking such a turn on a daily basis.
What a cock and bull story! Every steering sub-system is designed for lock to lock turns and tested for "xxxx" number of times by the vendor who supplies to the OEM. Does that mean I do not turn the steering full lock even at the risk of hitting an obstacle? I have a Maruti Swift 1st lot, 1st generation and have drive it extensively in the hills with all sorts of bends and curves and the vehicle has also been used on the rally circuit as a sweeper car many times. Till date I've never faced a steering motor issue! In fact, our Nano, with an EPS has to approach the garage entry on full right lock then immediate full left lock to squeeze between the pillars of the parking spot. Been doing this for the last 4 years and its absolutely fine.
I think there is something wrong with the particular batch of EPS motor. This is definitely not the usual case.
arjab is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 17:36   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
What a cock and bull story! Every steering sub-system is designed for lock to lock turns and tested for "xxxx" number of times by the vendor who supplies to the OEM. Does that mean I do not turn the steering full lock even at the risk of hitting an obstacle? I have a Maruti Swift 1st lot, 1st generation and have drive it extensively in the hills with all sorts of bends and curves and the vehicle has also been used on the rally circuit as a sweeper car many times. Till date I've never faced a steering motor issue! In fact, our Nano, with an EPS has to approach the garage entry on full right lock then immediate full left lock to squeeze between the pillars of the parking spot. Been doing this for the last 4 years and its absolutely fine.
I think there is something wrong with the particular batch of EPS motor. This is definitely not the usual case.
Agreed. I have a hyundai and park with multiple full lock turns and reverses in a tight spot. Havent had a issue in past 35k kms.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 18:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

Shocked to hear so many issues ! My office colleague had replaced entire clutch assembly in his 3 year / ~20k run Xcent !

While some of the issues are outright dangerous, some of them are really puzzling like the Paint fall off issue ! Just curious to know, I see only white cars are examples, anything to ponder here ?
Mi10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 18:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
On a separate note - Adding my own experience as well.

That said - the product still remains perfect on paper after all these years and is an extreme delight for their use whenever it is working flawlessly. But - not sure if I would be considering another Hyundai - Kia product when the time comes for my upgrade. (Wife wants a Kia Sonet though!) Unlike the Xcent - this new car would run maybe 10 times more and involves a lot of highway cruising - so definitely can't risk with the fundamentals - even if that requires a compromise on the features.
Hey Crazy Driver

Thanks for this thread. Your ownership review of the Xcent was one of the major factors behind us choosing Xcent. Our Xcent's usage too is similar to yours - 25k in 5 years. I have faced the ABS sensor failures. Thankfully no freewheeling steering till date!

1 more issue which can be added is AC condenser failures in Xcent. Heard that it is a common failure. In my car it conked off around 3.5 year mark.

Couldn't agree more with this: the product still remains perfect on paper after all these years and is an extreme delight for their use whenever it is working flawlessly
AkMar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 19:29   #39
BHPian

Wooooah! What a complication! Hats off to you sir!

I did not realise there were so many loose ends to a manufacturer who is considered above average in India.

These are some really serious issues with complete log and proofs! Now, let's see what Hyundai comes back with?

On a side note:

The "Loose" steering is something I have experienced a few times on my Ecosport Titanium TDCi. Below is how it happens. Not sure what to infer out of it?

I stop the car after a fairly long run, at least around 250/300 km run. The car is still idling for the turbo to cool down a bit.
I kill the engine after say about a minute and a half. All this while the AC and all other electricals are off.
Right after I kill the engine, I can still feel the steering do multiple full turns with single finger. It continues to do this until I put the ignition in "on" position and switch it off again.

Though this free motion does not happen during driving. The steering always feels taut while on the move.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 16th June 2020 at 16:15. Reason: Typo. Thanks
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 19:54   #40
BANNED

Apart from issues listed by CrAzY dRiVeR, I have two more to add:

Issue 1: The droning issue between 1,500-1,800 RPM and

A couple of owners including me have been facing this droning issue when the car is between 1,500-1,800 RPM in 4th, 5th and 6th gears as it is easily understandable. What it is, the whole cabin vibrates as if a subwoofer is being cranked to its max potential. Anything below or above the said RPM, the car is absolutely fine and smooth. Link to post where I have recorded it in my ownership log and also tried some changes but hasn't helped much in solving the issue.

Issue 2: Rusting on front doors mainly compared to rear:

During a conversation on WhatsApp in the Creta India group, a couple of owners posted the images of their front doors rusting badly which made me also go and for the same under the beading on the front doors and was shocked to find rust there. Attaching a few images of the same:

My Creta's
Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-img_20200615_151011.jpg

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-img_20200615_151056.jpg

BHPian ashvek3141's car
Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-img20200615wa0001.jpg

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-img20200615wa0002.jpg

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-img20200615wa0003.jpg

Niranjan from Bangalore
Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-screenshot_20200615140627__01.jpg

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!-screenshot_20200615140632__01.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 20:55   #41
BHPian

Firstly, hats off to you Crazy driver for compiling ALL the issues known to the Hyundai cars and with their relevant examples. Sincerely respect your time and patience for this. I even got to know a few issues about these cars which I wasn't aware about in the past.
Below are the issues faced in my 5 years of ownership with the 1st gen Creta.

1. Steering Rack Issue: During lock-to-lock, a loud 'thud' was being heard within just few days from purchase in my brand new Creta. This issue was also being reported by NkGhai Sir in his ownership thread. I believe there is a separate thread on this issues too. However, got the rack replaced under warranty. Additionally, I have lost the count of times I have complained to the Hyundai ASS for their pathetic Steering Alignment issue. The steering in my car TILL DATE is slightly off-centre. I have given up on that now.

2. Door Frame rusting issue: The images shared by Anurag Sir is the second time the issue has cropped up in just under 1.5 years since it was first repaired. It had first shown it's ugly face in 2018, wherein I got a LHS front door replaced under warranty and the Driver door painted. However, the issue has re-surfaced at exact same point, albeit now more severe on the Driver door. Sigh! The car is going for re-painting in a few days to Hyundai service. No more door replacement they said.

3. Paint Peel-off: I have reported this in the respective thread about the peel-off observed on the bonnet of my Creta. Again, they are painting this under warranty. But no concrete solution yet. Will the issue reoccur?? They have no idea. If it does, will they repaint for free?? NO SIR. Your car will be out of warranty soon.

4. Power Window Motor Failure: All 4 power window motors gone Kaput one after the other within 3 years of ownership. The LHS Front window motor which was replaced gone Kaput again last month!!

5. AVN Freezing Issues: Again, very common issue with the initial batch of Creta's. Solution=replaced under warranty. Root cause= NOTHING.

6. Kumho Front Tires Premature Wear: Massive scaling issue observed with the OEM set of Kumho Solus tires within just 14k KMS. However, being a wear & tear part, they were adamant on replacing under warranty. I then showed them my MS Swift with the factory set of tires run for 70k KMS. Finally agreed to settle for two new tires with me paying 50% of the MRP. I didn't have any more patience to argue with them.

7. ABS failure Issue: Though thankfully, I wasn't in any of the scary situations faced by the fellow BHPians, but I did have my fair share of instances where the brakes simply failed to work even after repeatedly stomping the pedal.

8. Clutch Hardening Issue: This is a new one, and what can be seen is that; within just 10-15 KMS, the clutch action gets really hard to function. It does take quite an effort to depress the clutch and engage the gear. However, Anurag sir has recommended to bleed the clutch line as there might possibly be some air trapped in the line. Will try this and see if it works.

Nevertheless, these and many more minor issues with this car. Having said that, I really love my car and want to retain it for another 3-4 years. However, the thought of my extended warranty ending in another 3 months really makes me shudder.

Just a closing statement, if the mods permit. SHAME ON YOU HYUNDAI !!

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 15th June 2020 at 21:04.
ashvek3141 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 22:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufactur...

Quite honestly, I think almost all car manufacturers in India have continuously compromised on something or the other that you can compile such issues for each of them!

I have 2 Hyundais at the moment, a 2018 Creta 1.6 diesel and 2019 Elite i20 Petrol. Although I have covered very less kms on both the cars, around 18k on the Creta and just 5k on the i20, I did come across the clutch shuddering issue in my Creta which has been pointed out in this thread. Surprisingly, this issue happened immediately after one of the service schedules, however I managed to get the clutch plate changed under warranty.

I have also encountered a strange situation on the highway where I didnt feel the bite in the brakes. But I think that incident was more of me relating to the incidents that I have heard, so not exactly sure if this was the same case.

Also, for the Indian customer, I dont know if there is any credible choice out there. My first Car in 2008 was a Dzire diesel and even that had clutch issues and horrible braking! Then I made up mind to never go near a Suzuki again and opted for a Skoda Rapid in 2012. Guess what, the Skoda Rapid showed me what can go wrong in cars! A failed Turbo, which cost more than one lakh, a failed EGR, Steering rack failure, brake shuddering, all replaced on warranty of course, but if you actually calculate the cost of these parts, it would be nearly two lakh rupees! And during all the time I kept thinking what if the fuel injector fails!

So when the time came to switch again, I found Hyundai to be a decent compromise between something like a Suzuki and VW / Skoda in India, and this I think is why I think many of our own team bhpians opt for a Hyundai. It sort of offers a balance between the two polar opposites of automobile ownership in India. However, I think Hyundai equally is as bad as anything around, going by these instances.

I mean, you hear horror stories about all manufacturers in India now, so the question really seems to be, who is the lesser evil? Suzukis seem to be made of far inferior quality of materials, Renault and Nissan are taking the Datsun approach in India with bare minimum safety approach, Honda and Toyota want to charge a premium, Tata seems way too inconsistent, Fiat is non existent, and Mahindra, well I dont know honestly where they are in this.

And thats why I think Hyundai feels like a decent compromise, when I drive my 1.6 diesel Creta everyday, I love that engine and a lot of other things, I even know that the car is reasonably well built, but I also know that I cannot attempt any late braking or be blindly confident about its dynamics. And from now on, secretly praying that both my Hyundais dont encounter any of the major issues listed here.

Last edited by motorworks : 15th June 2020 at 22:22.
motorworks is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 23:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

Beats me what is all this fuss about Hyundai cars, then? I mean, they seem like everyone's darling. Everyone recommends everyone else the Korean duo and people are also lining up to buy. Thanks a lot C.D. for highlighting Hyundai issues and in as much depth as no one ever has. Goes to show Teambhp doesn't spare any car maker for their shortcomings, however high and mighty.

At the very outset is my confession that I do have personal dislike for Korean cars and love for Japanese cars, especially Honda/Toyota. I remember words of an industry watcher who once said Korean cars sell on the strength of marketing blitzkrieg, ad bombardment, promotions, gizmos, features, media hype, bling bling etc. etc. which Japanese cars lack. But in the core engineering department, Japanese cars excel. His statement seems vindicated. We have been crying foul over Tata cars' niggles. Compared to Hyundai, now I am tempted to say Tata/Mahindra make more reliable cars. They just don't know how to sell them. Coming to Hyundai, peeling paint can be lived with, although atrocious, but brake issues? Steering issues? Really? Those are two of the most important aspects of a car. Peoples lives depend on these two critical components.

I was considering buying a small AT SUV and I had narrowed it down to 4 cars of different sub-classes to choose from. Thar, Seltos, Kicks, Magnite, Brezza. Needless to say Seltos IVT is out. I will steer clear of Koreans and look at other options. Once again, thank you teambhp for the in-depth coverage of issues.
pgsagar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 23:10   #44
BHPian

And I thought, I was the only one. My 2013 Fluidic Elantra has had a huge series of issues over the last few years. It has only done 44000 kms till date.

1- The steering made a constant juddering sound -

Almost like something was getting stuck during the rotation. On multiple visits to the workshop, they would grease it and send it back.

However, the issue still prevailed. Finally, they were able to point it down to some rotor which was damaged and since my car was out of warranty. I had to bear the burden of this costly replacement.

2- Left speaker makes this raspy noise, almost like it is damaged -

This happened within the very first week of delivery. During the first service, they straight down told me that there is nothing they can do about it. The speaker might need to be replaced and they'd have to order the product from who knows where since it was not in stock.

This problem being somewhat annoying but still bearable, I sort of just let it go.

3- The engine would slip several times before cranking to a start -

When I first pointed it out to them, they said they'll clean up the starter motor and service it. That'll fix it.

They attempted that and returned the car. But a few days later, I still encountered that exact same issue. Then they pointed out that it is a battery issue. I got the battery replaced. It worked fine for a year and a half (however, the engine would still crank a few times once in a while before coming to life).

And then one fine day, it cranked and cranked but the engine won't start. I know that if it doesn't start immediately then cranking it over and over again can cause other damage.

So I called a tow truck and sent it to the workshop again. They again told me that it is a battery issue again. I told them that the battery was only changed a year and a half ago.

They had no response to that and told me to get a new battery. Left with no other option, I did. And once again, the car drove fine for a few months.

4- The biggest breakdown by far. My car failed to start -

My car was parked in the second basement at a company in Gurgoan. It was 10PM at night when my driver called me and told me that the engine refuses to start.

He said that the whole cluster lights up but when he presses the button nothing happens. No engine crank. Nothing.

I immediately drove to the scene and it had me puzzled too. The cluster was coming to life, battery seemed fine, but when you press the start button nothing happens. This was 2 days before the lockdown. Since the car was parked at the 2nd basement. Tow trucks weren't allowed.

So I had to arrange for another vehicle to pull it out of the basement first and then finally we managed to get it to the workshop.

On the initial inspection, they didn't have a clue. They said the same thing. The battery seems fine, everything else seems fine, but the engine just refused to start. Then all of a sudden, we have the announcement of the lock down. And my car was stuck at the workshop for almost 2 months.

A few weeks ago, I call hyundai and they mentioned that they're still at it.

Eventually they pointed it down to Engine Control Modules (ECM). That part had failed and they quoted me 35k for the replacement. The car was to be returned back to me a few days ago but now they're saying that the engine is slipping again a few times before it starts.

Apparently, the ignition coil is also damaged and needs replacement. I've asked them to do the needful and hopefully they'll deliver it in the next 3 days.

Last edited by rahul_jo : 15th June 2020 at 23:20.
rahul_jo is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 23:12   #45
BHPian

Thank you so much, a million times in fact, for this compilation of cases, Crazy Driver sir. Looks like Hyundai India is murderously negligent about the quality lapses with regards to critical parts in its cars. Thank goodness my grandparents went for a Maruti Celerio instead of the Hyundai Eon when we had to purchase a new car in 2016. Now we have to replace our 2002 Alto LXi with something else, and after reading this thread, I certainly will not recommend a Hyundai/Kia car to my grandparents. God forbid, even its current cars may throw up critical and life-threatening failures.

I already felt uncomfortable about the dual-clutch automatic transmissions in the Verna and Creta T-GDI cars (GTO sir correctly criticised the Seltos' DCT's flawed disengagement mechanism and subsequent clutch wear and overheating) since the former two's launch here without manual transmission options.
BashfulKlutz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks