Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2020, 23:25   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

Thanks CrAzY dRiVeR for this amazing compilation. It was truly an eye-opener.

From my memory, the last instance of quality issues on a Hyundai car that I can remember are the steering issues in first gen i20. And while bhpian naveen.raju is a good friend and I personally know his car since day one (bought my Polo at the same time), I still never thought the issues were so widespread among other current day Hyundais. I used to blindly recommend Grand i10 to my friends/colleagues who were looking for a small city car. But looks like it's time for a re-think now.

5 years back, I was looking to buy my first car and after a lot of research, I had shortlisted Elite i20 and VW Polo. Loved the i20's 1.4 diesel and the cabin was as good as Polo in terms of quality, but the steering never connected with me. It was more spacious and practical too, but both these attributes were low on priority since I was a bachelor and I decided to risk it with a German. Now reading all this, I'm glad I didn't opt for a Hyundai. On my Polo, I have replaced ABS sensors, coolant pump and steering rack. While I had the ABS warning light, the car used to shudder sometimes and not go beyond a certain speed, the speedo needle would dance like crazy, the central locking would act weird, but it never lost braking power. The coolant pump developed a minor leak and the level would beyond the min level and I was getting a coolant warning light. These were the only 2 issues that HAD to be fixed. For the steering, there was a minor tak-tak sound while turning and it was there from day one, but wasn't that bothersome and it was heard only if I was driving without music and at parking speeds. Functionally, the steering was doing it's job and there was nothing else wrong with it. So the steering rack replacement was done only coz the SA with whom I had a good rapport suggested that he can replace it in warranty and assured me that this noise would be gone and it did. Now while purchasing the car, I was expecting such failures and issues with the car and I accepted it as a risk for the safety, build quality and driving pleasure in return.

Even if the product is a little low on reliability, if we have a manufacturer who listens and a dealer who supports equally well, then it is not much of a problem. This is where Maruti Suzuki shines and I admire them for that. In my case, the manufacturer doesn't really listen, but the dealer more than makes up for it. Anyways, not going anywhere near a Hyundai any time soon.
BigBrad is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 08:17   #47
BHPian

Re: Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I believe it is high time TBHP starts adding “possible niggles and QC issues” to the list of negatives in the official reviews of Hyundai cars, just like how it is done for Tata and Mahindra.
These issues are not small by any means. How come the second largest car manufacturer of the nation can't get brakes and steering right which are the basic building blocks of an automobile.

Another point to be noted is that how these defective cars pass the rigorous 'road tests' conducted by the manufacturer before launch?
StarryFurry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 08:48   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
My own Xcents complaints are also listed in the quoted posts in the first post. In spite of that, I think the average number of failures per 100 cars in a Hyundai is still lesser than our homegrown manufactures. But the impact is higher in case of Hyundai because it is the steering and the brakes that go wrong. So overall risk in case of Hyundai failures in this thread is higher than the niggles that we associate with our Indian bad boys.
Perfectly summarised. Thanks for that!

Yes - I heard the same counter-argument from a couple of my friends as well - that the number of cases is still less in comparison. But, the criticality of the issues needs to be taken into consideration as well. Brakes and steering are fundamental to safety of everyone on the road - and any issues with these two systems can be catastrophic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Adding My Hyundai Verna to the list.
1. The AC stopped cooling suddenly and some sensor was replaced.
2. Brake issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post
Glad you kept the issues with the KIA Seltos brakes highlighted. The ABS or something makes the pedal hard to press when emergency braking but this does negatively effect the performance of stopping "Human Error maybe since the pedal is hard more pressure maybe needed"
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Apart from the steering issue, I had rusted steering knuckle in my 2014 Grand i10 CRDi.

My Grand i10 also had inconsistent brakes and once while returning from Pavagarh, I had a tough time. Then I had some engine issue which was shrugged off by Hyundai and its service center employees said its all due to my fault of not noticing CEL. After certain testing, they gave the car back to me and it never felt the same again. Traded if off with 2015 Swift and it has been superb experience as far as reliability goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
There are couple of issues which I wanted to report here. The car in question is the current gen Verna.
1) The touch screen conks off when I drive under hot and humid conditions.
2) I hear massive moving parts sound from brake assembly whenever the car goes over potholes or over speed breaker while braking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The shocking truth is even when many BHPians reported on braking issues, many others (non BHPians) dropped in PM's on Facebook and even mailed me reporting of their experiences as well. It's same 15 to 20 cars all together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Same is true for Seltos and not true for my Octavia the pedal feels hard and pulse of ABS is felt via it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuri View Post
Damn! I thought I was the chosen one. Several members have reported ac compressor failing prematurely. In my case, happened at around 28000 km ( 3.5 years of ownership).
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Though we do not have a Hyundai with us, my cousin owns a Grand i10 and the compressor failed under warranty 2 years back when the car had done 45k kms. He told me last week only that his steering had become rock hard and it felt like his car did not even have a power steering.
The car was sent to an independent garage and there was something wrong with the eps module, bill was around 12-13k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
I owned a 2010 I20 (1.2l Petrol ASTA) and the amount of niggles and after service was absolutely pathetic.
1. Stuck Fuel Cap.
2. Transmission failure( 30k kms).
3. Compressor Failure (70k kms).
4. Hard gearshifts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
In my 2014 Fluidic Verna I have changed the EPS motor twice, once in 2016 and once last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
My office colleague had replaced entire clutch assembly in his 3 year / ~20k run Xcent !
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
1 more issue which can be added is AC condenser failures in Xcent. Heard that it is a common failure. In my car it conked off around 3.5 year mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Apart from issues listed by CrAzY dRiVeR, I have two more to add:

Issue 1: The droning issue between 1,500-1,800 RPM and
Issue 2: Rusting on front doors mainly compared to rear:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Below are the issues faced in my 5 years of ownership with the 1st gen Creta.
1. Steering Rack Issue:
2. Door Frame rusting issue:
3. Paint Peel-off:
4. Power Window Motor Failure: All 4 power window motors gone Kaput one after the other within 3 years of ownership. The LHS Front window motor which was replaced gone Kaput again last month!!
5. AVN Freezing Issues:
6. Kumho Front Tires Premature Wear:
7. ABS failure Issue:
8. Clutch Hardening Issue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
My 2013 Fluidic Elantra has had a huge series of issues over the last few years. It has only done 44000 kms till date.
1- The steering made a constant juddering sound -
2- Left speaker makes this raspy noise, almost like it is damaged -
3- The engine would slip several times before cranking to a start -
4- The biggest breakdown by far. My car failed to start -
Eventually they pointed it down to Engine Control Modules (ECM). That part had failed and they quoted me 35k for the replacement. The car was to be returned back to me a few days ago but now they're saying that the engine is slipping again a few times before it starts. Apparently, the ignition coil is also damaged and needs replacement. I've asked them to do the needful and hopefully they'll deliver it in the next 3 days.
Thanks for the detailed posts guys! I'm qouting only the most relevant portions so it could help someone summarize the issues.

As you see - many issues are common - so definitely issues they could and should fix. The whole intent of the thread was to show that none of these are isolated issues or one-off issues - and certainly not normal for such issues to happen post the warranty period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Then too, any issues raised to Hyundai would be redirected back to the dealer and there would be no way to contact the Hyundai higher-ups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
To get this clarification, i mailed cr@hmil.net asking what all activities is included in the regular PMS they redirected the call to the dealer.

The customer support is non existent and I can say that the HMIL will not provide any sort of help to a customer who is suffering because of dealership incompetence. They are just a spineless clown who redirect the call to the HASS. Pathetic guys at the management of No.2 car manufacturer in India!
Absolutely! If not the product - at least this attitude is something Hyundai needs to work on. This has been highlighted by multiple owners - and is certainly not an image Hyundai would like to be associated with - in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N33raj View Post
I suppose i am fortunate that the 4 Hyundais in my house are trouble free so far. The oldest is the 1st gen i20 and not surprisingly, the one with no troubles so far. The grand i10 has had some minor faults like the ac system failing but we didn't take it to Hyundai and instead the local garage diagnosed the fault to a small component and it was all good.
Thanks for sharing. Glad to know. But you see - even you have faced the a/c failure - which is again a common issue with many owners. Your Grand i10 cannot be more than 5 years old? Most owners report the failure by around 3 - 3.5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I mean, you hear horror stories about all manufacturers in India now, so the question really seems to be, who is the lesser evil? Suzukis seem to be made of far inferior quality of materials, Renault and Nissan are taking the Datsun approach in India with bare minimum safety approach, Honda and Toyota want to charge a premium, Tata seems way too inconsistent, Fiat is non existent, and Mahindra, well I dont know honestly where they are in this.

And thats why I think Hyundai feels like a decent compromise
I don't disagree with you - Like I said, my Hyundai feels so perfect for its intended usage (for parents) whenever it is workng flawlessly. We have no plans of selling that car before the legislation requires us to!

But - Don't you think brakes and steering takes precedence over inferior quality interiors, premium pricing, inconsistent quality, poor service etc? Crash safety is extremely important, I agree - but issues with brakes and steering can cause that crash in the first place.

I agree Hyundai is a good compromise. But it will be a LOT better with these issues fixed.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th June 2020 at 09:49. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 09:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hats to you for this compilation ! I had seen the Creta brakes thread but didn't realise that there are so many issues faced by so many people .

All the data you have listed is based on Hyundai owners on T-Bhp and we on the forum are a very small number relative to the market. The scary part is the incidence rate is quite high considering the small base which could mean there are many other unsuspecting owners out there facing these issues who are told it is normal and they just accept it.

Being in the auto line we know all OEM's have their share of niggles & issues, but what sets them apart is the customer service and Hyundai's response here is shocking. Such a serious issue such as brakes failing being ignored and now even some Kia owners facing the same problem shows how arrogant they can be. Looks like market success along with no consumer protection laws have given them a free hand.

We have not owned any of the new gen. Hyundai's in the family but I have been recommending them to all non-enthusiast friends & colleagues. Guess I should give them this perspective as well now and let them make a more informed decision.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 16th June 2020 at 09:32.
fiat_tarun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 09:52   #50
MCR
BHPian

The number of Brake related issues are really high and they are serious enough to cause irreparable damage. Can we have this thread posted on Team-BHP social media accounts for maximizing the coverage?

I have heard practices followed by OEMs to shame their vendors for the issues. May be we (as Customers / buyers) should do the same with OEMs!
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 10:02   #51
BHPian

Great thread!! Thanks for all the hard work in compiling this.

Any reason this hasn't made it to the homepage.

Looks like the issues are related to cars from the I series (1st gen i20), fluidic versions and onwards - Venue seems to be an exception, unless I am missing something.

I think their attention changed from the basics (brakes, steering, AC. Etc) to fancy stuff and looks - easier to sell features. They focused on the stuff what they can highlight in showrooms rather than what a prospespective customer might find out in a short test drive - worked for them well.

Not that they had great brakes, steering, suspension when they were still the underdogs trying to take on the heavyweights (Honda, Toyota). But, not sure if we came across issues on this scale in their pre I series, fluidic models.

Having owned the 1 gen Verna for 11 years and 63k, only issues I faced are - starter assembly conking off, fuel lid cable giving up resulting in not being able to open the fuel lid. Of course also had infamous sticky dashboard issue as well. But none of these were life threatening (excluding the inadequate brakes). Heck, it even survived being drowned half way through (below the air intake level) - requiring only dismantling of interiors, cleaning and drying. No electrical or electronic failures - of course I had disconnected the Battery.

Alarmingly, an average customer has very high regard for Hyundai's so called Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post

2) I hear massive moving parts sound from brake assembly whenever the car goes over potholes or over speed breaker while braking. It is very disconcerting and not sure if there is a loose assembly somewhere. HASS could not find the root cause. Have adjusted my driving style to stop this noise.
This might very well be the aggressive tuning of the ABS system kicking in - have similar experience when braking in my EcoSport on roads with small potholes, broken road or braking over a spread breaker. Not only the sound is disconcerting, but, how the pedal dips further without proving enough braking can be scary. Only solution is to use anticipate (wherever possible) and use gradual and steady braking along with engine braking.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th June 2020 at 10:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks for sharing.
styx71 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 10:15   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx71 View Post
Any reason this hasn't made it to the homepage.
Backlog of good threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx71 View Post
Venue seems to be an exception, unless I am missing something.
Venue, Santro etc are all recently launched - so not much data on the car. We will have to wait for long term ownership reports to get the full picture. Most of these issues like a/c, EPS, ABS sensors etc seem to occur from 3-4 years onwards.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 10:21   #53
BHPian

Very well researched and presented!
VW has had such a bad reputation with the gearbox issues, we have had 6 in the family without a single problem whatsoever.
Some of these Hyundai problems are significantly worse and yet the overall perception of Hyundai is of a safe and reliable manufacturer.
This should be flagged up repeatedly to Hyundai.
Amsdoc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 10:30   #54
BHPian

My colleague's nightmare stories of braking issues in his Creta is part of legend at office. I first thought its a one-off till i started seeing the many braking issue stories on this forum. I wasn't a member then so couldn't participate in the discussions.

He has had several heart-stopping moments when the car didn't stop when it needed to. He was recently blessed with a daughter and his BIL said that he shouldn't take his family in the Creta. The BIL's Fortuner is what my colleague uses for errands with his family.

For solo trips, he uses the Creta. He will probably sell the car next year.

Personally, I used to own Hyundai Santro Xing Automatic many years ago. The gearbox was pretty lame and performance issues were aplenty. While the manual geared Xing was a stupendous success, I didn't have anything good to say about the AUTOMATIC that I owned.

Hyundai has amazing brand recognition and reach in our country despite all the known issues mentioned in this thread. Hopefully, more people will sit up and take note of the issues before they invest in a Hyundai again.

Last edited by JojyKerala : 16th June 2020 at 10:32.
JojyKerala is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 11:05   #55
BHPian

WOW!! Great effort put by the CrAzY dRiVeR for compiling all the issues and creating this thread. One of my friend too had back to back repairs on his Grand i10s AC. Got it rectified from ASS at a cost of around 15k both the time. Since he isn't a car guy he never inquired what was repaired or replaced, he just paid the bill and took the car. But he used to say that the car isn't that cheap to run and maintain. Something or the other used to pop up during every service.
kamilharis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 11:42   #56
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Knowing that Hyundai India has been turning a blind eye to all these issues, I've left a strongly worded complaint on Hyundai's Global website regarding these issues, their dealers, & the general incompetency of Hyundai India. I also attached the link to this thread in my complaint.

I humbly request all BHPians who own Hyundai's and are going through this thread to do the same & spread the word among other owners of Hyundai vehicles, and leave a complaint on Hyundai's Global website, don't forget to attach the link to this thread. If all of us complain, Hyundai will not be able to ignore these issues any longer.

@CrAzY dRiVeR sir, thank you for bringing all these cases to our attention.

Last edited by BZ25 : 16th June 2020 at 12:05.
BZ25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 11:45   #57
BHPian

I am truly shocked. Thank you for compiling this comprehensive tread. I was sceptical initially while reading the thread not anymore. I was planning to pickup an used Hyundai if not a new one. Now I am not so sure.

Thank you again
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 11:59   #58
BANNED

I thought Hyundai's were very reliable and were built to last. I am shocked after reading this thread. Excellent post Crazy Driver! Hyundai's are known for their light clutch and buttery smooth gearbox.

These two are the major problems with many Hyundai cars and what worse, Hyundai is doing nothing to resolve these issues.

My Creta had been serviced at 25 k kilometres for a few problems here and there and the total cost was 9,600. Being a Toyota loyalist, I showed the Creta's bill to the Toyota service center where I service my Innova and those guys told me that we had been over-charged and those parts costs almost 2/3 of the price quoted in the bill. So on that day i concluded that Hyundai are neither reliable nor can they be trusted.

Till now i have a mediocre experience with Hyundais. Owned an accent before and had to sell it within 5 years and 70,000 kms due to serious gearbox and engine issues even though we drive very cautiously and thats testimony to our Innovas 2,50,000 and SX4 1,00,000 without any niggles.

Thanks,
Tachyonites
Tachyonites is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 12:07   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Ever since Naveen.Raju's Creta issues thread came out that highlighted the problem with the car and the nonchalant attitude of Hyundai, I have been forwarding that to anyone who has asked me about buying cars from Hyundai. That certainly reduced a few buys for Hyundai. It is appalling to find that it was only the tip of the iceberg and that there have been so many different issues (worst of all safety related!) with Hyundai cars across so many different models. From now on, I will just forward this thread to anyone who utters the sentence - "Should I buy a Hyundai?"

I really wonder if these serious safety issues will be forgotten the next time that we TBHPian's shop for new cars or if it will really lead us to reconsider and avoid buying a feature laden Hyundai that could put lives at risk. I am clear on one thing - no more Hyundai cars in my immediate family!

Last but not the least, I tip my hat off to CD for his great efforts to compile these different issues in a single thread. It truly is a PhD worthy effort . From now on, it is Dr CD to me
neil.jericho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 12:23   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So - where do you stand? Perfect products on paper v/s potential expense bombs post the warranty period -Which side do you think weighs more? [/list]
I cannot say about others but touchwood, I have had no issues in my 2017 Creta till date. I can give Hyundai the benefit of doubt as far as manufacturing good cars go. Almost each and every car manufacturer has a lemon car once in a while but that doesn't mean the manufacturer makes bad cars. For example, Hyundai has sold nearly 5 lakh units of the Creta till date but a very minuscule number of owners are facing issues which doesn't mean that their issues shouldn't be taken seriously. They should be but I have realised through multiple interactions with fellow Creta owners that the primary issue is at the dealership/service centre level and not at the manufacturer level. However, I completely blame Hyundai for not making the service centre look into the issues of every customer with equal importance.

I completely agree with you that there may be many more offline customers facing issues but the balance of probability also makes me consider the possibility that there are many more satisfied offline customers as well and blaming all cars for issues in a very few of them would be akin to stereotyping and hence illogical.

Speaking about my experience with my Creta, that has been very good and I would still consider a Hyundai as my next car but would definitely get them serviced outside in aftermarket shops and not at an authorized service centre after using up the free services

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 16th June 2020 at 12:28. Reason: Wanted to add an additional point
Chhanda Das is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks