Team-BHP - Maruti Esteem :: limited edition(91bhp 1.3l) and 1.6l
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Maruti Esteem :: limited edition(91bhp 1.3l) and 1.6l (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/22325-maruti-esteem-limited-edition-91bhp-1-3l-1-6l.html)

-------------------------------------------------------------
The 1.3 L (74 mm (2.9 in) bore by 75.5 mm (3 in) stroke) 16-valve SOHC engine has a compression ratio of 9.0:1 and makes 85 hp (63.4 kW) at 6000 rpm and 105 Nm (77.4 ft.lbf) of torque at 3000 rpm. The Peugeot-sourced TUD5 1.5 L (77 mm (3 in) bore by 82 mm (3.2 in) stroke) 8-valve engine had a compression ratio of 23.0:1 and made 57 hp (42.5 kW) at 5000 rpm and 96 Nm (70.8 ft.lbf) of torque at 2500 rpm. A limited version of the Esteem was launched in 1998-99, which had a 91Bhp engine, which was available in the Vxi segment with a 1.3L engine. A rare 1.6L version was also launched on experimental basis but later discontinued.

source Maruti Esteem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-------------------------------------------------------------
a. Esteem with 1.6L
b. Esteem stock producing 91hp with 1.3L

Any more details about these 2 models(year/etc.)? or the information given on wikipedia is incorrect?

Whoa! This is news for me! Does this mean that the international spec 1.3L engine was launched before the current 1.3 16valve unit in India?
And what about the 1.6L one? Must have been a real rocket!

Are you talking about these sold in India??
I think it is confused with the international Swift/Esteems.

Keep in mind that not all wiki articles are accurate. Also, there wasnt any 1.6 Esteem on sale in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedzak (Post 392534)
Are you talking about these sold in India??
I think it is confused with the international Swift/Esteems.

agree: . In 98-99 we were still having 8-valve carb Esteems. So 91 BHP is out of question

well i think wikipedia must have gotten mistaken because the baleno is old around th world with different name aerio,liana,cultus,esteem. so they must have mistaken it.

Perhaps someone will need to write to Wikipedia for more information before any further comments are warranted.

The author is someone called "Milkmandan" No contact links though.

There was a limited edition released in India in 2002, but that had the same 1.3L MPFI engine with some external trims. n_aditya owns one.

There was a limited edition rolled-out in 1998-1999 for sure but that wasn't a 91bhp car! That was regular Esteem LX with some touches. 1.6l Esteem???

The Baleno as we see in India is called Esteem in US & other markets. Could it be a mix-up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 392597)
There was a limited edition released in India in 2002, but that had the same 1.3L MPFI engine with some external trims. n_aditya owns one.

Yes ur right E_L. The limited editions were released in 2002 with same MPFI engines as other esteems. I have compared the manual with other "unlimited edition" esteems lol: and they were no different.

Wish it was 91 BHP stock. :p

Only additions were door trims, wooden garnish on inside door handles and center console, Fog lamps (they suck though), motorized antenna, leather seats, alloys from TRAX, rear set center arm rest folding type, etc...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawan (Post 392542)
well i think wikipedia must have gotten mistaken because the baleno is old around th world with different name aerio,liana,cultus,esteem. so they must have mistaken it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by determinus (Post 392729)
The Baleno as we see in India is called Esteem in US & other markets. Could it be a mix-up?

I think this is it.

The Esteem/M1000 used to be sold in the US and other markets as the Swift (mostly as a hatchback), if I'm not mistaken. And I think even Chevrolet had a clone (forgot the name) of the M1000/Esteem long back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 392737)
rear set center arm rest folding type, etc...

Available in unlimited editions of VX/VXI too. :p

Limited editions in India mean mostly some touch up to the exterior and adding an extra feature or two,but limited editions are generally not associated with modifications to the engine specs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 392597)

I think you are referring to the Esteem "Velocity" model that was a limited edition with pure cosmetic modifications like a chrome tipped exhaust trim, customised wheel caps, a new speedo console etc. When I bought my esteem VXi in 2003 the "Velocity" was also available but was on the verge of making its exit.

And yes, the OMB is known as the Esteem in the US market and I was myself surprised the first time I saw an Esteem here in the US which was actually the Baleno sold in the Indian market with the 1.6L engine.