Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Will the new Hyundai Creta outsell the Kia Seltos?
Yes 335 48.34%
No 358 51.66%
Voters: 693. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2020, 13:36   #91
BHPian

Re: Sibling Rivalry! Will the 2020 Hyundai Creta outsell the Kia Seltos?

Voted YES.
As others have mentioned several times, there's basically nothing to choose between the two, except for maybe the PANORAMIC SUNROOF, which seems to be the new hype.
Cases that the Hyundai makes are:
1. Strong dealer network and after sales support
2. Far too many loyal customers (I am one of them)

Now, you should know that people buying the Creta are not first time car buyers and they know that one thing common with all Hyundai cars is, that the design grows on you.
So, this is what I think. But again spending 20L plus on road on such a car does not make sense for me, I'd rather buy a XUV 500 any day.
ron82x3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 14:24   #92
BHPian

Voted No purely on design preference.
I've never liked the Hyundai interiors, especially the Blue backlights and the parts felt plasticky and cheap.

Kia's design language is just more appealing to me and the interior quality felt top notch - pretty close to my premium German cars - so good on Kia.
driven646 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 22:10   #93

Voted No assuming that most of the people would not be able to digest Creta's exteriors and both the cars have the same engine and features (almost). But Hyundai's long term association with the Indian crowd will make the competition neck to neck !

Add Creta's Panoramic Sunroof and Paddle shifters to Seltos please !
(It will be a no brainer in that case for me.)
Gonewiththewind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:18   #94
BHPian

Voted No.
Since I was in the market recently, let me share my insights from a buyer perspective.

Seltos and Creta are basically same vehicle with just different exterior shell. Almost all things being equal between them, give or take few things here and there, looks department is also equally important critical criteria for deciding whether I can identify myself with the car for next 10 years. This is where I couldn't come to terms with the exterior and interior design of Creta, how much ever I tried to convince myself. If I am plonking 17-20L from my pocket, I am looking for a complete car package with no compromises. After all, a car is an extension of our happiness too.

If I drill down the details, on paper, Creta SX/SX(O) IVT seemed right for our requirements from engine+transmission and safety equipment requirements point of view. Panoramic sunroof, EPB, paddle shifters were unwanted for us. But these additional features couldn't help us compensate for the shortcomings in the looks department. Had it been prev gen Creta design with 2020 features, then it would have been a real fight between Seltos and Creta. With its polarizing design, the decision was much easier

Coming to service network and service quality, getting consistent service quality from any *ASS is a matter of luck given my experience with MASS and from what i have heard about HASS from friends. In the long term I guess KiaASS wont be that different from this trend. So I am neutral here.

Another point to add is the showroom experience between Hyundai and Kia.. The energy and enthusiasm in Kia showroom, the kind of attention they give to you, also matters in the buying decision. Hyundai showroom is more like 'this is what we have, take it or leave it'. They also do their customary follow-ups, but somehow it feels like mechanical rather than their eagerness to earn a customer.

Last edited by mankuthimma : 22nd June 2020 at 16:44. Reason: Added an additional point, instead of creating a new post
mankuthimma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 14:34   #95
BHPian

July 2020 sales.

Creta: 11,549
Seltos: 8270

Seltos doing very good numbers for a car with a price tag of over 2 million rupees on road but Creta is in a different league altogether.

Creta is a better put together product with a feel good factor and features which is what the consumers want. The ride and handling balance is perfectly suitable for a majority of car buying public. Not to mention the peace of mind Hyundai offers with its sales and service network.
needforspeed88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 14:42   #96
BHPian

Creta outsells Seltos in May, June and July !

May - Creta 3212 vs Seltos 1611

June - Creta 7202 vs Seltos 7114

July - Creta 11549 vs Seltos 8270

Grand old Herd mentality of Resale and Lesser Risk wins over Looks and Innovation !

Although these figures are largely due to new launch fervour and pending bookings ... Let's wait and watch if Creta manages the lead 12 months down the lane.

Source
https://www.carwale.com/news/hyundai...-may-2020/amp/

https://www.carwale.com/news/hyundai...ia-seltos/amp/

https://gaadiwaadi.com/hyundai-creta...july-2020/amp/

Last edited by JS Kwt : 3rd August 2020 at 14:47.
JS Kwt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 15:08   #97
Senior - BHPian

I guess the ideal combination would be Seltos design, Creta sunroof, Seltos dashboard and Cretas seats ( which as per YT reviews are slightly better ).
I am thinking of either of these as a replacement for my City+ Polo.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 15:18   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post

Grand old Herd mentality of Resale and Lesser Risk wins over Looks and Innovation !

Although these figures are largely due to new launch fervour and pending bookings ... Let's wait and watch if Creta manages the lead 12 months down the lane.

What innovation does the Seltos have that the Creta doesnt? Apart from those fancy cameras, which are a gimmick that I havent ever felt the need for?
turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 15:18   #99
BHPian

It is not only more resale, Hyundai, being an established brand, has much more reach than a new brand. Many people would not be even considering Kia because it does not have a dealership nearby, D-BHPian RavenAvi had the same reasons for choosing Creta over its cousin.

As far as looks are concerned, I think the Creta's design is growing on most (including me) as we see more examples on the road and on the forum. Dare I say that I am starting to prefer Creta over Seltos because of the relatively cleaner and less edgy design of the former.

That said I really appreciate the way Kia has entered our market, by choosing the right segments and offering a Seltos variant for everyone

Last edited by tanmoy87 : 3rd August 2020 at 15:35.
tanmoy87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 16:15   #100
BHPian

Let me say only one thing that this Panoramic Sunroof of Creta alone can be a winnner feature over Seltos. No one can just ignore this huge sunroof.
Other factors would be softer ride and better network of Hyundai.
noopster1008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 12:00   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes and was surprised to find that 48% of TBHPians agree with me. I expected the number to be much lower.

Reasons:
  • I can live with the Creta's exterior design. In fact I think on the inside, especially the dashboard area, it has an advantage over the Seltos. Am going to be spending most of the time inside anyway
  • The pano sunroof exclusive to the Creta is a stroke of genius from Hyundai. This clinches the deal, at least for me.
  • Paddle shifters- also missing in the Seltos- are a nice-to-have feature, though I wouldn't let this influence my purchase
  • The Seltos extras- 360 deg camera, auto-wipers, front parking sensors- are not must-haves IMO.
  • Kia is still new, whereas Hyundai has an established service presence. Doesn't hurt that my Accent ownership experience nearly 2 decades ago was just superb.
  • Icing on the cake is that the Creta is slightly cheaper (on-road, Pune) than the Seltos. It's not a big difference but it exists!
noopster is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 14:38   #102
Team-BHP Support

Having seen a lot more granular comparisons of the two cars, here is my view on which of these two cars "I" would pick (not commenting on the poll which is on the market wide sales outcome). I always thought it would be the Seltos. But now having considered it in detail, my view is:

I would pick the Creta, the key tipping factors being:

1. Paddle shifters (I simply love these);
2. Better underthigh support (even if marginal). This adds hugely to back seat comfort and every extra inch counts. It is also said it has a better contoured back seat;
3. Pano sunroof. I have historically not been a fan of sunroofs, but am beginning to get attracted by full pano ones. It really is lovely driving in a car with the whole roof opening in a pano format, specially if you are in the back seat gazing up.

This selection is despite the following shortcomings:

1. I hate the looks and design by any measure, standalone or otherwise. The handome design of the Kia only drills this downside in more.
2. Plusher finish and feel of the dash etc of the Seltos. Material feel is important and this is definitely a bit of a bummer.

The extras on Seltos otherwise I can live without. The additions in the Creta are big factors for me - big enough for me to swallow the two downsides listed above.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:15   #103
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The pano sunroof exclusive to the Creta is a stroke of genius from Hyundai.
Not just this, they have added the extra air bags only in the Seltos. So this is brilliant feature placement where they have made sure you can't get a Sunroof and max air bags in the same car.

Seltos and Creta collectively increasing market share and not cannibalizing each others sales should be a B school case study.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:21   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Not just this, they have added the extra air bags only in the Seltos. So this is brilliant feature placement where they have made sure you can't get a Sunroof and max air bags in the same car.
I don't think that's accurate. Creta's SX(O) variants get 6 airbags, just like the top-end Seltos. This is a snapshot from the official brochure:

Name:  Creta airbags.PNG
Views: 445
Size:  26.8 KB

Like most T-BHPians, I wouldn't opt for a pano sunroof over additional airbags

Last edited by noopster : 17th September 2020 at 17:24. Reason: Added commentary :)
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:23   #105
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I don't think that's accurate. Creta's SX(O) variants get 6 airbags, just like the top-end Seltos. This is a snapshot from the official brochure:

Attachment 2056316
Thanks for the correction. I read above somewhere that they would choose Seltos because of the extra air bags. I think now they meant maybe from a variant perspective, you'd end up spending more for that in the Creta.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed