Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2007, 00:04   #16
BANNED

No. No. I don't want Waja, Weera, Beera, Baja etc.. I want Golf! even a Citi Golf may do.

Proton brand being launched here is quiet an unnecessary move. I don't think VW will do it. Unless, they also follow GM.
A low budget car to compete with Logan should be a good move. But it should be kept inside VW brand itself.

OT: @Rahul, I also think same like Steer about that newspaper thingy.
Old 21st March 2007, 09:33   #17
BHPian

Guys you should check the safety ratings of protons, I'm told they are rated as pretty unsafe cars even in Malaysia.....
Old 4th April 2007, 03:16   #18
BHPian

Sorry, I am late...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You forgot the Satria, which was the really fun car to drive in their range.
Oh yeah Steeroid sir, I have driven that car on 2 occassions. All the speed bumps, where a night mare. Do you remember, they also had a 1.6 GTI Verison? There was an 'nother model too, called the Proton Putra... Do you remember that?

Quote:
Perdana Petrol had a 3.0 V6 which I drove around for about 2 years - nice smooth engine, but it drinks fuel like there's no tomorrow.
Yeah, i was chauffered from KLIA to Seremban once on it. V6 is fun ! The XXXL rear doors ! Hmmm...

Quote:
Saga and Iswara are both the same, and are derived from the old Renault 19.
I did not know this... Thanks... Yeah ISWARA had a seperate boot and SAGA had the Hatch back style rear (Peugeot 309 types)... (That's how i used to differentiate)...

Quote:
I didnt know they had a diesel engine - must be new.
Only for the TAXI segment i guess( i may be wrong )... But, there is Diesel for sure !

Quote:
There is no 1.4 as far as I know.
Yeah, may be i am mistaken with Saga / Iswara 's engine...

I personally feel, Wira / Saga / Iswara are bad in build quality. Do you agree with me sir?

WAJA is a nice car, feels like you sit in a Bucket ! I liked it though...

They have a new car called Proton Gen 2 (pronounced "Jenthu"), hated those looks...

And SpppppeedddddZAAAKK, i shall cross my fingers and pray for you that VW will (should) launch GOLF ! My most loved car in NFS CARBON...

Cheers,
Jai
Old 4th April 2007, 04:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Maybe they'll bring down that Evo-like car they used to sell
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
They wont. Proton is in deep financial quagmire themselves that threatens their existence. Remember that this is a company that's quasi-goverment run. And its 'technology" has been "derived" from Mitsubishi. It doesnt have sufficient best-practices - adopted or homegrown; or a critical mass to thrust forward confidently or independantly under the best of times, let alone in their current situation
Is this English?
Old 4th April 2007, 11:28   #20
BHPian

3years back proton came to iran and start manufacturing ,i didnt get any chance to drive or test it coz i moved to pune.but as i heard they have been totaly lost in iran market because of 3 reason:
1.poor ride quality
2.no saftey
3.at the same time bmw,benz and citroen came to market

Last edited by payam : 4th April 2007 at 11:30.
Old 17th June 2008, 10:57   #21
BHPian

Proton set to drive in to India

Three models of the Proton are already being tested in various parts of India. Any of you have any idea about this?

Source:

Proton set to drive in to India- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 17th June 2008, 12:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hope the Proton cars flop miserably, lose lots of money and leave India as quickly as possible.
Old 17th June 2008, 15:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Hope the Proton cars flop miserably, lose lots of money and leave India as quickly as possible.
Why? What happened? Do you have any personal resons for the above statement? Lots of car companies are coming into India for making the quick buck. This also one of them. The car was OK with me (when I stayed in Malasia) compared to Tatas and others here.
Old 17th June 2008, 18:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Protons in Malaysia is like the Maruti in India. Pretty decent, I can say. Better build than most Marutis for sure. I dont see why they wont sell in India. But they have lots of marketing work up the sleeve as Proton is relatively an unknown brand here.

I had a very short rip on this car. But this car was quite heavily modded with wider tyres, FFE, intake kit etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Malaysian Proton Cars maybe heading for India-img_3043.jpg  

Old 17th June 2008, 19:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Why? What happened? Do you have any personal resons for the above statement?
Nothing personal. Just that there seems to be repeated state sponsored discrimination against Indians over there.
Old 17th June 2008, 21:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
Three models of the Proton are already being tested in various parts of India. Any of you have any idea about this?

Source:

Proton set to drive in to India- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Proton have been clinic-ing 3 cars in India for a while but the response was apparently the response was very poor. People didnt know Malaysia actually makes cars, and those that knew this rated Malaysian cars below Chinese.

I've driven a couple of Protons around for 2 years in Malaysia. Not the most reliable machines and definitely not exciting except for the Satria.
Old 18th June 2008, 04:46   #27
BHPian

eh? Proton is planning to introduce cars in India again? What happened to the project they started with Hungama back in 99 or something? They procured a site in Vizag and the CM of AP inaugurated it. They even brought down a car from Malaysia and all the news channels showed CBN sitting in the car and posing.
Old 18th June 2008, 07:23   #28
BHPian

Hmm....the only foreseeable option for India is the new Proton Persona, its supposed to be all new and developed in-house, probably with help from Lotus. Have seen quite a few here in Australia, its also been ranked as the most fuel efficient 1.6 by the NRMA (National Roads and Motorists' Association), an organization similar to the WIAA. Got some pictures from the net, I've uploaded them
Attached Thumbnails
Malaysian Proton Cars maybe heading for India-persona143.jpg  

Malaysian Proton Cars maybe heading for India-persona146.jpg  

Malaysian Proton Cars maybe heading for India-4l.jpg  

Old 18th June 2008, 08:07   #29
BHPian

Proton is not respected here unlike Maruti in India. So the comparison is not correct. The article says that Savvy, new saga and Persona are up for launch. The savvy would fail miserably if they launch it in its current form, it would look ugly and out of place (not to mention the not so good quality). Its competitor here, the Perodua Myvi does way better in terms of sales.

The new saga and persona have been the savior for sagging proton fortunes here. They are not bad for the price here, but what is to be seen the pricing and placement in the Indian segment.
Old 18th June 2008, 08:52   #30
BHPian

Current government does not put too much emphasize on this brainchild of the earlier PM it seems. Also Proton faces tough competition from Toyota and its sister Daihatsu a lot. Personally, Proton is unwelcome customer to India. They do not have anything exceptional (marketing or technology/reliability) to sell to very shrewd Indian car buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Why? What happened? Do you have any personal resons for the above statement?
OT : I believe he did not like that fact that Malaysian govt demolised 100s of hindu temples there!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks