Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 10 0.81%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 103 8.31%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 196 15.82%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 186 15.01%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 744 60.05%
Voters: 1239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th June 2020, 00:16   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

Sports car depreciate a lot once they cross like 2-3 years and 20-30k kms. I usually try and replace the weekend car around that mark. I have been able to sell at decent prices and not lose money so far with this formula. Luckily the used market in Delhi is insane where you can find brand new cars for 20-30% off sometimes.

The other 'home' car ideal situation is 5 years, more than that becomes a hassle since the ghar ka gaadi doesn't get same love and suffers more wear and tear.

My thought process is I'd rather experince owning more cars rather than making logical choice here, we are car lovers after all. Ideal case scenerio would be to keep some for the long term, I wanted to with the Street Triple, which did not happen simply because it was not even seeing 1000km a year usage and Mini likely because I cannot afford to keep 2 weekend cars (no space in rented city housing for >2 cars). Even though many times I wanted to keep vehicle for longer.
quickdraw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 00:33   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
My Baleno Sedan is 16 years old.

Planning to keep it as long as it runs and as long as the government rules let it get its RC renewed every 5 years - whichever comes earlier

The reasons are -

It is running fine as good as how it was on Day 1 (touch wood) - So there is no absolute reason to replace it at the moment. I would certainly go for a new one in due time.

It is too old, outdated and cost-less (in terms of $ value) that I do not have to worry about any incidents like damage, theft etc - peace of mind

The value is rock bottom that I am surely not going to get above say 1 Lakh if I sell. I may as well keep it with me even if I go for a new one.

And of course, it is a driver's car.
You just wrote down everything I had in my mind out here. I have the good old Baleno and it has never crossed my mind that I have to sell it. It does everything I want to do exceptionally well and is quite frankly a gem of a car. I honestly want to buy a Honda City VTEC (The very first VTEC that is) and if possible the very first Lancer SFXi just to complete my collection of the best Japanese cars on Indian roads. I also should mention about the 5 speed 800 I had sold. The only reason I sold it was because I found the buyer was more enthusiastic about the car than myself. My Baleno is going to be around as long as she want to be around with me. Not the most beautiful car out there, but she never goes out of style.
ron_9191 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 00:56   #183
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 10 Years or higher. Even though I haven't had any cars more than 5 years till now due to unavoidable circumstances, I wish to keep it for long time.

Currently own a Tiago in India and Toyota Highlander in US, which will stay with me till I am here. Once back to India, will buy a 7 or 8 seater for highway, with Tiago for city usage.
Old 12th June 2020, 01:14   #184
BHPian

Voted for 10 years because the vehicles we've owned in our household were keepers and we have kept them for a fairly long time. That way we can to learn so much about the vehicle as well as the satisfaction of maintaining it consistently is priceless.

Except the Activa, we've kept our vehicles for a very long time

Owned:
1. Yamaha RX100: 1987- 2014( regret selling this bike and wish I can get it back. The reason I sold it was the body started to rust after rebuilding) most of my childhood was spent on this bike

Just before selling the RX in 2014(original color was cherry red but repainted to black)
Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?-dsc04518.jpg

2. Ford Ikon 1.3 petrol: 2002-2014(did not use it much, just 60k in 12 years, but it was truly a Josh machine!)

3. Honda Activa: 2010-2017( the scooter's engine seized once, that was the reason to sell it)

Present

1. Bajaj Pulsar 200NS: 2014 onwards ( my first own bike and used it close to 1 lakh kms and not giving this away at all, too many memories, road trips and this bike had taken me places where I wouldn't have dared going to)

My 6 year old 200NS
Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?-img_20200126_18345001.jpeg

2. Honda Activa 4G :2017 onwards ( used for errands and mostly by everyone in the house)

3. Ford EcoSport Titanium TDCi: 2018 onwards(It has been a joy to drive this everywhere and this car had taken me to a lot of places as well, though I miss going for T+ because of the extra safety features and cruise control).

The star of the garage!
Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?-img_20191010_08354401.jpeg

I'd retain my present vehicles except the Activa because it's not as robust as the older generation activas

Last edited by jithin23 : 12th June 2020 at 01:21.
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 02:11   #185

Great topic to begin with.
Firstly I think the first post was incomplete when it said how to maximise the value and use pre-owned luxury segment cars. I do apologise if I did miss it while scrolling through.

The trend in my household has been lately any car that crosses 1,20,000km is due for a change. Considering we only drive diesel cars. And they are as listed as follows,
1. 2009 Tata Manza clocked 97000kms
2. 2011 Tata Sumo Grande MkII clocked 104000kms
3. 2016 Ford Figo Aspire clocked 143000 kms
4. 2019 Isuzu Dmax Vcross clocked 40000kms.
5. 90's HM Trekker (dad's inventory i cannot remember the year)

Also have a 2005 Royal Enfield AVL 350 Machismo.

Had booked for Nexon EV in December and was to take delivery in March. But Covid-19 happened and things are looking grim. I have therefore delayed the delivery of my car till September or beyond.

So far all the cars except Isuzu and the bikes have undergone a thorough engine overhaul post 1,00,000km, except Manza underwent it at 47000kms (case against Tata motors for defective car still pending).

My favourite car in my yesteryears was the HM Contessa Classic 1.8 petrol isuzu engine. The car we bought from Karnataka government auction. Sadly that car was totalled by one my dad's friend who had borrowed it for election campaigning.

This thread and the comments and posts by fellow bhpian was really awesome. I hope all of you are safe and well.

Regards,
SS
ssmanipal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 06:41   #186
BHPian

Voted for 10 years or higher. Would have voted for "Never" if it was an option!

After all they are family!
ramji_or is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 07:32   #187
BHPian

I have a 2014 Wagon R Green with 83k on the Odo. I plan to keep it for the whole 15 years. Itís very reliable, serviced regularly with a trusted FNG and giving me no problems at all right now. Primarily used for commuting in crowded Delhi NCR. I plan to get another car preferably Something like Altroz Turbo/Polo TSI or a CSUV in a year or two but will keep the wagon R as well.
Old 12th June 2020, 08:00   #188
BHPian

Very interesting topic of discussion and getting to understand each one's view.
I hold on to cars for a 6-7 year window. So far, I'm only on my second car and both my cars have been limited to the small and compact hatchbacks of great value.

1. 2012-2019 : Swift Vxi
2. 2019 - : Swift ZXI+ AMT.

As far as this segment space is concerned, there is a demand for small hatchbacks in the used car segment and used car prices in Bangalore are skyrocketing. Hence, the value proposition after a 6-7 year window in this space is still around 60%. (My previous Swift is a case in point.)

I plan to hold on to my current car for around 5 years atleast depending on the resale value and ready to extend the same to 7-8 years depending on the scenario. The next one I know will be a bigger segment from the pre worshipped car space, provided I get a good deal. (Skoda Octavia segment maybe? )

OT : One thing I've realised is that it's always better to go in for a top end/ higher variant if the difference can be equated in your EMIs through generating interest elsewhere. No aftermarket fitments come close to the fit and finish. You also don't end up getting bored of the interior which was the case in my previous ride. I know that this topic is a bone of contention and feel free to disagree with me as I know of folks who've done some great after market customisations.
Old 12th June 2020, 08:49   #189
BHPian

Well.. tbh.. I really dont plan these. As long as I enjoy the car I keep it. I have owned 3 cars thus far. Bought a pre-owned 1999 Zen when it was 2 yrs old and had it for 3 yrs. A new Wagon R in 2004 sold it in 2011. A figo tdci thereafter and still own it though I have done 190+kms. I plan to change the car soon for mainly for want of real estate within. Kids have grown up, I have started taking at least one of my dogs when I travel to my hometown . I'm so confused what to buy next as I have limited budget for my next. Not more than 15L
Old 12th June 2020, 08:53   #190
BHPian

Voted for 6-7 years.

Cars are getting more and more reliable. If you can vouch for the electronics, a car can easily live for more than 10 years. Strictly speaking on average, a car may start would be at the end of its lifetime peak condition by the time it crosses 6-7 years. A little optional overhauling later, it may feel almost new and it may go on to live for 8 more years. So I feel that age of 6-7 years is a time for 're-birth' for a car and a subsequent 'new ownership'.

Think it this way: You have enjoyed the car for significant period, it still has good amount of life in it, and you 'may' pass it on to another owner craving for an upgrade. You would get good price for the car and the second owner would also be satisfied by the car (and hopefully its condition) and the life left in it (easily he could use the car for 5-6 more years!). Its a win-win.

A penny saved is like a discount earned on the next car
Old 12th June 2020, 09:08   #191
BHPian

Voted 10 years or higher, because that's what it has been for all the cars I've used.
My experience has been that well cared cars in the mass segments last and last well without trouble.

Unless my usage needs change or the reliability of the car drops or Government regulations change, I see no compelling need to change cars.
Old 12th June 2020, 09:43   #192
BHPian

Voted 10 yrs as that was the limit. I have a typical mentality of using anything to its fullest, that's what I saw my parents do , being a middle class family. So my choice of car was a value for money Santro. Today even after 13 years and over 1,00,000 kms she runs like new. A reliable product from Hyundai with great quality, I still don't have rattling noise from any panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?-img_20200222_1222302.jpg  

Old 12th June 2020, 10:16   #193
BHPian

Voted for 6-7 Years Max.

Though My Swift is at 9yrs+ and doing brilliant. Due for an upgrade soon.

Secondly my Punto Evo 90HP is now 5+ years old and is itching to get revamped, but I was thinking of replacement with a pre owned Premium Sedan.

Seems like Covid 19 had plans to stop my money infused into dream 4 wheels.

Lets see may be 2021 - But next car will be a very long termer 10yrs+
Old 12th June 2020, 10:48   #194
BHPian

Voted for 10+ Years.
Our priced possessions.
1. 1995 Premier 118NE, in my hands since 2008. 1.14L kms on the clock
2. 1990 Premier Padmini, with us since 1991, 70k on the odo
3. 2006 Ford Ikon Flair, dad bought it new but got no plans to sell
Old 12th June 2020, 11:38   #195
BHPian

'Been there done that' long before serious motoring was popular in India.

After owing many cars and bikes over the years, my current garage is:
1) i10 [2013] - replaced a Zen [2001] due to rusting dashboard & 1,40,000 km done
2) Corolla Altis [2009] - in mint showroom condition [+75,000 km]
3) C 200 Edition C [2018] - replaced a CRV [2014]

Over the years learnt that 'It's only the experience & memories that matter, and they remain with you till the end'.
So my better half & I, alongwith our son 'Rex' [a German Shepard ], want to tour (and where possible trek) around India at leisure.

Hence in a few short years will buy a 4x4 (SUV) to replace the Corolla Altis while the other cars will be around till they can be maintained.

Voted 10 + years because
1) Now cars last longer
2) there is no significant technology change which would require a replacement before 10 years

Most Viewed