Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 10 0.81%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 103 8.31%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 196 15.82%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 186 15.01%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 744 60.05%
Voters: 1239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th June 2020, 12:12   #196

Default Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

I voted for 10+ years.

I held on to my previous Fiat Punto for 7 years, it served me well for close to 1 Lakh kilometres in those 7 years.

Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?-mozzafiato.jpg

Got my next car, Tata Hexa XTA, hoping to hold on to it for at least 10+ years. I guess, Toyota Innova would have been a better bet against the odds of Tata's Service and quality. But, so far (2 years and 20,000 kms), its been a great ride.

Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?-livetodrive.jpg
SatishChour is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 12:20   #197
Senior - BHPian

We own three cars.

MS Brezza: 2.9 months
Due to its super mileage and performance on the highway, I am going to keep it for two more years.

Honda WRV: 2.2 months
Its wife's car. Somehow, we ended up with two cars from the same segment. We are not happy with it and planning to replace it with some smaller hatch like Tiago or i10

MS Eritga: 8 months.
We are very much satisfied with this MPV. Give me a good MPV under 10L with a usable third row and maybe we think about replacing it. Till then, this MPV gonna stay with us.
Old 12th June 2020, 12:34   #198
BHPian

Lovely thread!

My first car was the Maruti Ritz vdi diesel. Possessed it for five years till people around me started pushing me to sell it owing to low resale value for diesel cars older than five years. Btw it had run 1.75 lakh kms
Currently my prized possession is the Hyundai Xcent VTVT SX Petrol which is 4 years old now and done 1.20 lakh kms. I'm not parting with it until an economical electric car is launched. Coz my next car will hopefully be electric if they launch an affordable model that runs atleast 500km in one full charge.
Old 12th June 2020, 12:36   #199
Senior - BHPian

I own a Skoda Rapid which was purchased in April 2012.

This is the longest I've held any car (thanks to GTO's thread on 5 year old cars). I plan to go beyond 10 + yrs of ownership God willing. Before reading this article, I had a Tata Indica- 1.5 years, Honda City- 1.5 years, another Honda city- 3.5 years. So my ownership term has steadily gone up.

While looking around just like that, I realised my car meets all of my needs. With a small family (me and wifey), we don't really feel the need to for a bigger or better car.
Additionally, the current value of this car coupled with a very high difference to be paid for a new car these days which come close to 12-14L big ones. It just doesn't make financial sense any more. I carry a similar thought when it comes to mobile phones with a newer model only offering perhaps 2GB more RAM , which is not really significant considering my real life usage. Not interested in fueling these companies who make money from our country and use these for increasing border tensions.
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 12:39   #200

Voted for 10 years or more.

We have the following cars in our garage:

1. Toyota Innova (2006): It has run 195k Km in 13+ years and is in great condition. Apart from the fact that it has no airbags, we do not see any compelling reason to sell the car. It will remain with us until the government bans older cars.

2. Tata Manza (2010): It has run 75k Km in 10+ years and is in average condition. It is used by my grandparents in our native city, which is close to NCR. The most troublesome of our cars. Apart from the frequent issues, it cannot do airport runs to Delhi because of the ban, which is an important use case for the car. Will hold it until it falls apart as it will fetch pennies in the used car market.

3. Maruti Swift (2012): It has run 85k Km in 8+ years and is in very good condition. Like the Innova, this too does not have airbags. This is a primary contender for a lateral upgrade to a safer and larger used car, perhaps next year. Also a lesson for me to buy the best car that I can afford at that point in time.

4. Honda CR-V (2014): It has run 109k Km in 6+ years and is in great condition. Apart from the poor mileage, there is nothing to complain about this car. I will keep it for as long as the government allows me.
mpthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 12:51   #201
BHPian

Voted for 10+ years!

Have 2 cars in my garage right now.
My 2009 Punto is going to turn 11 in August this year and is still going strong. 152k on the odo so far. Plan to keep her for a couple of more years atleast.
My 2012 i10 has turned 8 and we will definitely keep her till the next 5 years atleast. She's run relatively less at 49k.
Also have a 2019 RE Classic Signals which I'd like to keep forever!
Old 12th June 2020, 13:23   #202

I prefer to buy pre-owned at 4-5 years old, and sell off after enjoying the drive for 3 years or so. Based on the depreciation curve of vehicles, I have found that you tend to get almost the same price when selling off, and the car would be quite reliable during this period with minimal repairs/ part replacements needed. Have been successful so far in this regard with my ownership of first car: the Siena 1.6, followed by a Fiesta 1.6 S, and now with my Linea TJet.
Old 12th June 2020, 13:24   #203

Voted for 8 to 9 years .
I always prefer the preowned route where i don't have to take the depreciation hit . My car collection is as follows
3.2 Titanium Ford Endeavor 26900 kms recently purchased(at 23550 kms) before the lock-down. Will keep the car at least 6 years down the line
BMW 530d 2011 purchased last January at 25600 kms and the current odometer reading stands at 49600 kms .Will keep the car at-least 4 years down the line or even more if doesn't trouble me .
Fiat Punto 90hp 2012 bought in 2013 at just 3000 kms on the odometer , now stands at 61000 kms on the odometer and will love to keep the car for ever .
Tata Zest XT diesel bought new in 2015 and now the reading stands at 92000 kms . will keep the car for 1 year and replace next year by Tata Nexon EV .
Generally cars age very well if maintained with care and affection .
LEOMAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 13:41   #204
BHPian

Wow, this thread has been an eye-opener! I thought the majority changed cars within 5 years. No wonder Auto Industry looks like becoming more cyclical now with extended replacement periods.

This and the Uber/Zoom trend and the wait for the Electric revolution will mean a prolonged period of low growth for the industry?

My XUV is over 6 years old, over 1.1 Lac munched, but do not feel like replacing it at all. Maybe buy a better bicycle... but not a car.
VindyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 14:13   #205
BHPian

I vote for 10+ years. My Mahindra Scopio is running on its 11th year and ownership has been smooth. I plan to keep it for a couple of more years, unless the new Thar entices me to switch to a new vehicle.
Old 12th June 2020, 14:13   #206
BHPian

Great thread, loved reading about the ownership histories of all you folks. Here's mine:

Alto - 2007 - 2017 (You can guess what I voted for )
Celerio AMT - 2017, nearing 35k kms. Its a great car for city driving but does not inspire a lot of confidence on the highways. The only positives for highway driving are the dual front airbags and the ABS.

The plan is to retain the celerio for family use and buy a pre-owned sedan in a couple of years.
Old 12th June 2020, 14:21   #207
BHPian

For me depends on the car, its usage and most importantly my love/connection with it once it crosses 6-7 years. Our main cars go out faster due to high mileage, my laura touched 1 lakh in 3 years and we sold it to avoid major bills.Now the situation has changed with each car having its own purpose, xuv500 for hill trips and drives with friends along with transporting things around and now I enjoy the SUV feel specially with the torque and grunt in the engine along with a good music system ,even after putting 1.6 lakhs in 5 years I intend to keep it till it gives major problems.The E class is used for office commute along with family dinners, road trips(with gooad roads) along with spirited night drives, we recently got it and I intend to keep it till it is at least 8 years old .The ertiga is the office workhouse which is new and will remain till the time it works! The i20 which is nearing 10 years might get changed soon with a pre owned fun sedan such as civic. The e34 525i is a keeper and will remain with us forever as it is our first classic buy.
jayanttalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 14:55   #208
RMN
BHPian

Purchased my Freestyle in 2018 and planning to keep it for a minimum of 7 years. But then again, I wonder what could it resale for at that point? Its a Diesel and I suppose that would be a thing of past by then! If EVs get affordable then definitely no point in selling it..ill probably keep it for a lifetime! ha!
Old 12th June 2020, 15:08   #209
Senior - BHPian

Nano : As long as i can maintain it properly. Its 9 plus year old now and going strong and i am very much emotionally attached to it.
Baleno : Turned 4 recently, will keep it for another 5-6 years till i feel the "Need" to change my car/electric cars become normal.
Old 12th June 2020, 15:24   #210
BHPian

Started driving stint officially in year 2001 since the time I entered a career, and owned the first car in 2005 - the ubiquitous M800, a 4th hand car!
Unofficially, drove Papa's Premier Padmini strictly within residential premises, before getting hold of the license!

Since then, till 2015, have owned/changed 3 different cars in India (one abroad for a short while), all of these being pre-owned vehicles, and hence never felt the urge to stick on with them (except the Jellybean Zen and i10), and held on to each of them for about 3years apiece.

Got the first brand new car of my life in 2015 - the Ecosport, and intend to keep it for - well as long as norms permit!

Also, own a Bajaj Caliber from year 2000 that was gifted by Papa for landing a new job; works fine as well as it did when brand new, and will stay with me for - well, same as above!

Nano owned by better-half, hoping to retain the bug also long-term!

Last edited by KrisTvpm : 12th June 2020 at 15:30. Reason: paraphrasing corrections
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed