Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?
Till my car is 2 - 3 years old 11 0.73%
Till my car is 4 - 5 years old 123 8.22%
Till my car is 6 - 7 years old 240 16.03%
Till my car is 8 - 9 years old 221 14.76%
Till my car is 10 (or higher) years old 902 60.25%
Voters: 1497. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2020, 11:30   #226
BHPian

Re: Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?

Voted for 10 years or more. Both the i10s at home are over 7 years old, but are running effortlessly. Mine has started to show some ageing signs due to spirited driving but I don't see myself spending anything North of 25-30k and making it as good as new. It's only got 47000 kms on the odometer in 7 years.

A new car would probably cost me north of 10L comprising of almost 40% taxes. I'm not in the mood to spend that much unnecessary money on an asset that depreciates within 1 day. Would rather put that money into property for future use, and get a bike instead of a 4 wheeler incase better half requires the car.
jasjotbains is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 13:20   #227
Senior - BHPian

Voted 10 years or more as my Feb 2010 Civic has already crossed the 10 year mark with only 42xxx kms. My running has become quite low and earlier I always had two cars. Since about a year now it’s only the Civic and will stay that way.

Only if the car becomes a nuisance maintenance wise will I think of getting another one, otherwise she stays.

Cheers
Old 13th June 2020, 13:44   #228
BHPian

Voted 8-9 years. My Hyundai i10 Petrol AT is 9 years old and Jetta AT is 8 years old. I may postpone buying a new car for some more time.

Reasons: Unrealistic prices of new cars (Automatics with Airbags)
Preserve liquidity / Save Money
Maintenance costs manageable currently
Old 13th June 2020, 14:06   #229
BHPian

Voted 10+

When I purchased my TUV, I was 100% sure to retain it for 10 years. However, frequent AMT failures have made me think twice. Covid situation is not helpful either to take a decision. Financially it will be a huge loss if I sell my vehicle now. So I am just rejuvenating my vehicle. I will take a decision once my extended warranty expires. If I do not face any AMT related failures in next 2 years, then I will definitely keep it for 10 years.
Old 13th June 2020, 22:00   #230
BHPian

Voted 8-9 years. One reason to change would be to benefit from new features being added to newer vehicles and the other would be rising maintenance costs.

Personally, if the current vehicle is serving it's purpose and reliably, there is no reason to change it. And, the one-off need for specific vehicle (van/truck/4x4) is easily fulfilled by car rental companies.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 06:53   #231
BHPian

I am an owner of Ford ecosport 2015 diesel. I always love it's built quality, heaviness, driving pleasure and superb stability on highways. It has crossed 5 years and approx 55000km but doesn't feel like it's that old at all. I have plan to get an EV if the market comes up with a better product specially in terms of range or I will get a 4x4 like Endeavour next, but I want to keep the ecosport in my stable for as long as possible.

I am going to preserve and maintain my ecopsort so that it lasts at least 50 long years. Same like there are many 100 year old legendary Ford model Ts (made in 1914-18) which are still running on the roads mostly in enthusiast's garrage in the US like robust new performing cars same as the olden days. And I am pretty sure this Ford (ecosport) too will live up to my expectation of living long like those iconic Model Ts.
Old 14th June 2020, 07:00   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Being in Delhi, it's actually dictated by law, and not my wish. Petrol 15, Diesel 10.

Left to me, I would probably not replace any of my vehicles unless they start falling apart . Especially in the current doom & gloom situation.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 09:03   #233
BHPian

Usually, the bug for changing cars bites me after 5 to 6 years. Just like fellow tbhpians, I love and maintain my cars well. I feel that the maximum price that one can get for well maintained car would be around 5 to 6 years maybe 7 years.

Having said all this, my current garage is such that the bug's sting isn't that painful. Both cars - the Fiat Linea T-jet (6 years) and Nano Twist (6 years) are absolutely perfect fit for what they are meant to do. T-jet for scorching the tarmac and nano for beating wayward rickshaws at their game in city traffic! :-)

Given the current situation I would still keep them for 2 to 3 years more.
Old 14th June 2020, 09:11   #234
Senior - BHPian

Voted 6-7 years. This is my third car now since my personal car journey began in 2008, and I have let go off my previous two cars when they were around 5 and 6 years respectively. My existing Car, a Creta 1.6 diesel is more than 2 years old, and Im guessing I will easily see thru the next 4-5 years with this. I think letting go off the car when its around 5 years ensures that you get a decent resale which can be used to fund the next car.

However, what im stating above applies to normal times, and now we have unpredictable and unusual times up on us, where we all face monetary pressure in one way or the other. Hence I may end up holding on to the car longer than the usual 5-6 years.
Old 14th June 2020, 10:02   #235
BHPian

Voted for 10 years or more.
Having moved from a Vento to a Laura and then Jetta within a span of 3 years, I cant seem to find value moving up any further.
The Jetta is 7 years old, just had some suspension work done and has only done 73k. I got the new car itch recently but have shelved those plans as i do not see anything in the market that comes close to what I have
Old 14th June 2020, 10:53   #236
BHPian

It is indeed worrisome for auto manufacturers if this poll results are representative of the country.

60% looking to change in 10 years?

Auto companies might as well pack up and leave the country.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 10:59   #237
Senior - BHPian

I voted for 4-5 years. Given my ownership history (not ideal from ROI perspective), I will surely get the urge in a year or so. I intend to have all adventures done by early 50s, then can look at a regular, sedate sedan or hatch thereonwards.
Old 14th June 2020, 11:45   #238
BHPian

Voted for 10+ years.

Although, in the last 5 years I have changed 6 cars, but my intentions are always to keep the cars for as long as it lasts.
  1. Honda Brio SX(O) MT 2012 - bought used, sold within 10months because too small for my 6'2" frame and gave terrible ankle pain.
  2. Toyota Corolla H2 2006 - bought used, sold because too many issues started cropping up after an year of use.
  3. Maruti Celerio ZXI AMT 2017 - bought new, sold within 10months because I hated the jerkiness of the AMT transmission.
  4. Skoda Rapid Style Plus MT (P) 2017 - bought new, sold because I had to move out of the country for an uncertain period of time. But I came back within an year and now I regret selling it.
  5. Abarth Punto 2018 - bought new, still have it, though I am not so attached to it as I was with my Skoda Rapid.
  6. Honda WR-V VX (P) 2020 - bought new still have it.

Whichever car I have bought, I bought it with the intention to keep it for as long as I could/it lasts. Because I do not want to let go of a car once I have gotten emotionally attached to it. Hence, safety, reliability and durability are very top priority items when I am looking for a car (Abarth was an exception, though it is reliable and safe).

Sadly, except the Skoda Rapid, I have not yet got attached to any of my cars. Is it because of Rapid felt special and had best-in-class interior quality? Or is it because I did a pan India trip in it? Can't say for sure.
Here is a pic of it:
Your car's age: How long do you plan to hold onto your current car?-img_20180906_130011.jpg
thehacker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 11:49   #239

My VW Polo 1.5 TDI is currently 2.5 years old. going by the sturdy built and no fancy types of equipment, I plan to keep my baby as long as I can. Every time I drive it, I just realize how right I was in buying this car.
Old 14th June 2020, 22:22   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingraghu View Post
My VW Polo 1.5 TDI is currently 2.5 years old. going by the sturdy built and no fancy types of equipment, I plan to keep my baby as long as I can. Every time I drive it, I just realize how right I was in buying this car.
In spite of the bad rep the VAG group cars get, the feeling you get when you drive them is just something else. It just feels right.
kvothe_rules is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks